The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question regarding heat inherit

XsjatoPrime

Question

I've been trying to gain a better understanding about heat inherit and how it works.  I've been playing around with epitaph primer for protea's turrets.  My confusion at the moment is, I've noticed most of the builds I've seen for epitaph (heat inherit specific builds) don't run base damage mods (hornet strike etc.). Now, in my mind, the base damage mods increase the damage value of any elemental damage the weapon deals, as reflected on the sheet.  So, why are all these builds not using these mods?  Isn't the idea of heat inherit to have a primer with high heat procs and damage multipliers?  Why are base damage mods not used?

Edited by XsjatoPrime

2 answers to this question

Base damage on the primer isn't "inherited" by the dps weapon's heat stacks.   What is inherited are heat% damage and faction damage.   Furthermore faction damage gets applied again.     You'll want that base damage on the dps weapon of course, as well as crit stats, and enough heat to make sure you keep refreshing it at least every 6 seconds.

Base damage on the primer doesn't hurt, but  there'll always or nearly always be other mods in that slot that make it a better heat applicator.  More heat, more faction, more status, multi, RoF, some viral, etc.  Definitely load up on base damage on the dps weapon of course.

Here's Dystopia's full explanation.  I think he was the first to figure it out.

Heat Inherit Calculation is as follow: The first stack of the heat proc from the first weapon have X amount of bane, Y amount of heat mod, its base damage is Z;the second weapon have M amount of bane, N amount of heat mod, its base damage is K The damage of the first stack of heat dot will be:Z x (1+X) x 0.5 x (1+Y) x (1+X) The second stack of heat dot(from the second weapon) will be:K x (1+M) x 0.5 x (1+Y) x (1+X) and now both damage will be combined, the damage from the second weapon has inherited the bane and the heat bonus from the first stack.

For example Using Zylok with 60/60 heat mod + Primed Heated Charge + Primed Bane as your first stack weapon (55%bane+225%Heat) Using Twin Basolk with 60/60 heat mod + Normal Bane(30%Bane+60%Heat)

The damage of the first stack(from Zylok):140 x 1.55 x 0.5 x 3.25 x 1.55=546.56875 The damage of the second stack(from twin Basolk):210 x 1.3 x 0.5 x 3.25 x 1.55=687.61875 Bonus melee damage from dual swords default stance(300%):687.61875 x 3=2062.85625 theoretically combined damage is 2609.425,In-game damage dealt is 2612

Posted (edited)

Right, I've seen dystopia's breakdown, and was just confused as to why I never see base damage mods.  On my epitaph build, I have faction, multishot, fire rate, viral, and all the heat, but all those only take 7 slots.  Other epitaph builds I've seen use mods like primed fulmination or some other QoL instead of hornet strike, so I was just confused as to why that might be.  

Regardless, that does answer my question, thanks!

Edited by XsjatoPrime