The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

After around 2 years of using Void Sling, I can safely say that I still want Void Dash back.

I've been playing Warframe since late 2017, and I can safely say that after using Void Sling long after Void Dash has been replaced, I still want Void Dash in multiple reasons.

Void Dash (for those who weren't around before April 27, 2022) is an operator mobility option where like Void Sling, it flings you to where you are aiming at. However this is where the differences end, as while Void Sling allow anyone to essentially hover while holding down spacebar (while crouching) to accurately fling any player to the position they are aiming at. Void dash acts more like bullet jump that can be chained regardless if you are on the ground or not as long as you have enough operator energy remaining.

Void Dash has a few benefits over it's successor, mainly the following:

• It was undoubtedly faster, since instead of needing to aim and confirm every time you dash, you can just think 3 steps ahead and dash forward to somewhere around your crosshair is aiming.
  • It can ignore players, Warframes, and entities, instead of being blocked by them like Void Sling.
  • It was way less prone to breaking thanks to it being simpler overall, and no matter how many bandaid fixes the game will add. It's still a buggy mess due to how it forces the player to teleport to where you are aiming and won't stop dashing until it either reaches the desired position, runs out of operator energy, or the current bandaid fix of "void dash if stuck has a timer that turns itself off".

Note that Void Dash isn't all sunshine and rainbows, it still has downsides, mainly:

• It can be difficult to estimate how far you are going, and you can only estimate that you are going somewhere around where your crosshair is aiming.
  • You can't think slowly as you would lose momentum, you either have to think as you go along, or you think 3 steps ahead.

Void Sling was introduced to Warframe as an "easier to learn" Void Dash, except that from some perspectives, it is correct to say that it's "easier to learn". But the "ease of learning" gave not much of a benefit over the previous, more reliable option.

There are some counter-arguments to this, mainly the following:

• Void Dash is only easy from your perspective because you have used it for so long, but you don't understand it from the new player's perspective.
  • You're just bad at void sling, I can do it and so can you.
  • Void sling needs to exist to be an "easier to learn" mobility option for new players to learn quickly.

To which I can respond with the following:

• Void Dash was not perfect, I know that and basically everyone that uses Void Dash knows that. A utility tool shouldn't be all upsides (except for Vacuum). However, a new player's perspective changes overtime, and this game basically forces new players to learn and adapt because of how overwhelming it is (not that it's a good design choice). So understanding a new player's perspective, especially with the rapidly changing state of internet culture and the behavior associated with it, is practically impossible thanks to the chaotic nature of what the future holds.
  • Void sling is not a difficult mobility option, it's clunky and sluggish. Which is different from being difficult. Warframe has been known to many long time players as not exactly a difficult game to play. You could argue it's gotten easier than ever thanks to the existence of Octavia, Revenant or Wukong, Warframes with very little effort or muscle movement to play. And the same can be said for Void Sling or Void Dash also, both don't really have much difficulty, and both can be easily understood overtime, except that the former is cumbersome to use thanks to extra hurdles you have to jump through for something slower than using Slash Dash with 145% range.
  • Void Dash wasn't exactly a "pickup and hop along a merry journey" ability and neither is Void Sling. If anything, the slower mobility of Void Sling would actually discourage new players from learning since they would just play high mobility Warframes instead and never try to learn about it. If the current "meta standard" of Revenant Prime, Glaive Prime, Laetum and Torid has taught us anything, is that new players would rather play something that requires very little effort for an easy pass, than needing a bit of effort for a full score. Because a full score is rewarded as much as an easy pass to them. The same can be said for Void Sling and mobility-centric frames like Titania or Wukong. The people who learned Void Sling, are the ones who learns it out of necessity rather than out of convenience. And in all fairness, Void Dash and Void Sling has about the same difficulty as each other.

"That's a lot of words I don't want to read, what do you propose?"

Nerf Wukong. Simple. A toggle that you can switch between void sling and void dash. Both should have a reason to exist and not take over one another, it should be a matter of preference between "fast" and "accurate" options.

Even after how much I hate Void Sling over Void Dash, I still have to acknowledge the fact that for over a year, people have been slowly getting used to Void Sling, so crippling their muscle memory for the sake of mine is just not fair and would just be a massive argument that gets nowhere where people would be completely blind to each other's arguments. Some people just like Void Sling more than Void Dash, I can't understand the appeal but still.

• Like 27

25 minutes ago, .BralessToaster said:

Void Sling was introduced to Warframe as an "easier to learn" Void Dash, except that from some perspectives, it is correct to say that it's "easier to learn". But the "ease of learning" gave not much of a benefit over the previous, more reliable option.

DE said that Void sling was introduced to give players better control over the range.

But I still think they said that just to reduce the backlash. Them saying "we are nerfing the void dash" would generate far more complaining from the community.

• Like 10

After 2 years of avoiding void sling, I can safely say I want neither of them.

Void slings sells itself as a more controllable and less chaotic void dash, but fails in every aspect of it because of gravity.

Take the most obvious contender for this : The void angel fight. Trying to hit moving orbs with travel time while falling downward with limited energy simply never worked, it never got better, I still see a majority of people just dropping like flies as soon as the orbs spawn.

And that's a boss fight that mecanically was designed with void sling in mind.

Nevermind all of the tilesets that have tiny holes which need precise aiming, which you'll most likely fail and bonk your head into because you had to Double sling upward to reach it. (Looking at you entrati tall room)

As for the previous void dash I never liked it, it was lazy. You either abused AoE operator passives by spamming back and forth in a room, or you used it as an archwing to travel.

I am one to think Aim glide, slide and a controllable bullet jump are things that simply cannot be removed from gameplay.

The kahl gameplay using jetpacks felt horrible

Operator void slinging feels horrible

Atlas's rumbler augment is an absolute joke (literally)

I understand the need to make operators different from warframes but to me, gameplay-wise, it just feels like I'm crippling myself on purpose whenever I click on drifter.

• Like 2

I've always preferred Void Dash over Void Sling, but its not a huge deal breaker for me or anything. 

Like if DE asked me if I wanted it changed, or if I wanted a toggle or some sort of way to get it back, my answer would be yes to all of those questions. I don't necessarily hate Void Sling though, I probably do use it a bit less. I think Void Dash felt better, had better utility, required more skill, and that that was a good thing, as it rewarded use and practice. I wouldn't necessarily be that down if it didn't return though. Oh but great points and summary all the same OP. 

• Like 2

I got used to it now i have another problem and that is SKYBOX problem (once u go too high you get reseted on your place) it maked me dizzy and makes me not use operator 

I feel like a bird in a cage ... I  dont want to abuse it per say but its just to low on most of the maps.

But it could be done in both of ways as a new school nod in a future why not.

• Like 1

Even with Mind Sprint fully upgraded and waybounded, it still feels awful.

I get you're supposed to charge it, but it's faster to just spam shorter slings.

Also, the name is literally SLING yet when I transfer to my Warframe I lose all momentum? Void Sling could be useful if you were able to use it to throw yourself with your Warframe but with the interia dampener on transference it makes void sling feel worse.

I HATE Void Sling, Its just bad overall compared to the old Void Dash, its still buggy as fck.

Iv said this before and im saying it again, the only reason DE changed Void Dash to Void Sling was to make it easier for Mobile players because its easier on a screen to Double Jump than Crouch Jumping and they require a bit more time to properly aim.

• Like 2

Personally i love it a lot more than Dash.

it looks, sounds, feels better for me. Specifically the momentum feels so satisfying.

Dash was "way too good" (therefore boring imo, kinda like archwing, hence why i prefer Honse and K-Drive for traversal), but at the same time slightly uncontrollable. 

I understand where you're coming from, but personally im happier with what we have.

Also bring the "once every mission" Void Beam back! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kaggelos said:

Personally i love it a lot more than Dash.

it looks, sounds, feels better for me. Specifically the momentum feels so satisfying.

Dash was "way too good" (therefore boring imo, kinda like archwing, hence why i prefer Honse and K-Drive for traversal), but at the same time slightly uncontrollable. 

I understand where you're coming from, but personally im happier with what we have.

Also bring the "once every mission" Void Beam back! 

Completely agree here, especially that void beam part!!

• Like 2

what bothers me the most about void sling is that when i hold space bar to charge it and extend the range, despite the game showing me where i can land, most of the times i get teleported further back from my destination because an enemy or an object is somewhat interferering with the trajectory of void sling....

yes....i honestly would like to have the old dash back..

• Like 3

Void Sling is just Void Dash but with input lag. It solves none of the things it was supposed to solve (like running into things, accuracy, anything), while also making itself slower and more complicated. The one technical thing it can do that Dash couldn't do on paper - variable distance travel - isn't even useful. I still want Dash back :(

• Like 8

4 hours ago, (XBOX)CaligulaTwily said:

Gimme an Augment Mod or Arcane or something for my operator that gives me back old Void Dash.

Augment mods for Drifters/Opeators will be neat 

But yeah, I really hate Void Sling, it's god damm stupid

Edited by Circle_of_Psi
  • Like 2

It would be cool to have a toggle to compare.  Sometimes you can't really see the differences as clearly until you run with something on for a while and then go back.  I mainly don't use void sling to get around because parkour velocity is more accessible and enjoyable.  I also need enemies around to replenish my operator energy, and they aren't around in large tiles like sanctum.

They also need to bring back the ability to derank or turn off things in focus schools, so you could adjust the void sling range if you desired to.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, (PSN)XxDarkyanxX said:

Trying to hit moving orbs with travel time while falling downward with limited energy simply never worked, it never got better, I still see a majority of people just dropping like flies as soon as the orbs spawn.

Wombo combo of "skill issue" and "doesn't understand how it works". The orbs are incredibly easy to grab due to how slowly and predictably they move, and gravity doesn't affect Void Sling in any way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hexerin said:

Wombo combo of "skill issue" and "doesn't understand how it works". The orbs are incredibly easy to grab due to how slowly and predictably they move, and gravity doesn't affect Void Sling in any way.

It's also easier to just dash into the angel, and it like slows your sling down where you just like hop around the orbs.  I dunno, it seemed that way for me anyway.  I usually forget to to do this and just line up my slings or miss them.  It could be harder on players without a maxed operator.

19 minutes ago, Lord_Drod said:

It's also easier to just dash into the angel, and it like slows your sling down where you just like hop around the orbs.  I dunno, it seemed that way for me anyway.  I usually forget to to do this and just line up my slings or miss them.

I personally just make a set of arcing paths, hitting the orbs from below. It's more relaxed to do that than to directly dash between orbs. That being said, I also generally don't even need to do the orb phase. My Operator build takes out the Angel in a single shot, straight up 100% to 0% instantly.

19 minutes ago, Lord_Drod said:

It could be harder on players without a maxed operator.

Operator progression (what little there is) has no bearing on the orb phase of Angels.

Edited by Hexerin

4 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

I personally just make a set of arcing paths, hitting the orbs from below. It's more relaxed to do that than to directly dash between orbs. That being said, I also generally don't even need to do the orb phase. My Operator build takes out the Angel in a single shot, straight up 100% to 0% instantly.

Operator progression (what little there is) has no bearing on the orb phase of Angels.

Oh, void sling is a universal distance now?  I didn't realize that.  I've had it maxed in forever and didn't really pay attention to those changes.  Also, I never run madurai so its a challenge to phase it on SP solo without that, which I haven't done, but I've been close a few times.  You can only use void strike once though, so it's not really any faster solo.  The orb phase is a quick two, set down and fire a few shots and done.  Of course you can easily phase it with whatever on non SP.