The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help me test forum notifications please!

(PSN)Unstar

Question

Posted (edited)

The backstory

When PSN users initially activated crossplay, many of us found that we could no longer access our longtime forum accounts.  Because of that, there was a roughly 5-month period when many of us were posting on what appeared to be fresh PC accounts.  Recently, DE has engineered a way that we can choose which of our accounts to use at any given time, so we can at least access our old accounts, which I'm grateful for.  However, I'd prefer to use just a single account, so I want to test what (if any) notification features will work if I have my two sub-accounts mutually follow each other; I'm hoping that this will in any way help me get notifications from users who are interacting with something I wrote on the other account and might be hoping for a reply.

How you can help

I want to test 4 different kinds of notifications:

1. Test: Someone making a new post in a thread I started.
    Method: Just reply to this thread without using the forum's quotation functionality nor the tagging functionality.

2. Test: Someone liking a post in a thread I didn't start.
    Method: Go to the post linked below and give it a like.

3. Test: Someone quote-replying to a post I made in a thread I didn't start.
    Method: Go to the post I linked below and quote-reply it.

4. Test: Someone tagging me in a thread I didn't start.
    Method: Go to the post I linked below and make a new post in that thread (not a quote reply) that tags @(PSN)Unstar.

I'll strike out each of the above as I confirm that the tests have been performed, and I'll make a follow-up post in this thread to share the results with everyone.

Because some of those tests require that I make a post in a thread I didn't start, I made the following post in the long-running "Last Post Wins" off-topic thread:

Thanks for your help!

Edited by (PSN)Unstar
Thanks for the help, all tests are completed! Now to switch accounts to check the results...
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

Thank you to PublikDomain and (PSN)abbacephas for helping me test!  Here are the results:

FY9Fsog.png

So it seems the outcome of each test is as follows:

1. Test: Someone making a new post in a thread I started.
    Notification?  NO

2. Test: Someone liking a post in a thread I didn't start.
    Notification?  NO

3. Test: Someone quote-replying to a post I made in a thread I didn't start.
    Notification?  YES

4. Test: Someone tagging me in a thread I didn't start.
    Notification?  YES

That's honestly better than I had expected.  I can solve #1 by manually following every thread I ever started on my secondary account.  And as for being notified about likes...that's not the end of the world.  As much as I enjoy the happy chemicals from receiving positive feedback, I can live without them, and nobody will be left hanging waiting for a reply that might never come.

Thanks again for your help with the science, y'all!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UnstarPrime said:

That's honestly better than I had expected.  I can solve #1 by manually following every thread I ever started on my secondary account. 

Don't you have "follow topic" toggle below-left post/thread window?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Do you mean the part near the title of the thread that says "Following" in this picture?

R9zWXY4.png

No, I mean bellow or bottom-left corner.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/editor-stock-replies-r1233/

Look at reply window in the first image or movie. There is "follow topic" and "hide" (we don't have that hide option/button/stuff).

Edited by quxier
movie not window

5 minutes ago, quxier said:

No, I mean bellow or bottom-left corner.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/editor-stock-replies-r1233/

Look at reply window in the first image or window. There is "follow topic" and "hide" (we don't have that hide option/button/stuff).

Hmmm, so I just tested that functionality.  It seems like it functions exactly the same as following a thread by clicking the upper-right "Follow" button.  Regardless of which you use, the result is that you're following the thread, though the one in the upper-right has some additional customization options.  That's what I used to follow the few dozen threads I had started with UnstarPrime.

• Like 1