The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

**DE CONFIRMED** Historical Warframe Claim: The First True Mag Master

Posted (edited)

-EDIT-
DE confirmed the claim! They sent me a plaque:

1JKb4Ym.jpeg

Thank you so much DE, and especially whoever decided to take the time to acknowledge my efforts and actually get a plaque made/mailed to me! I will treasure this.

Claim Number 1 (a claim for myself)
I have finally done it; I've made Warframe history. My account is the first to have achieved the True Master Rank while playing as only one type of frame (Mag/Prime). The following are the rules for my emergent game and the backbone of my bold claim:

Spoiler
  • Must be a starter frame (naturally, because you can't "only" play as a frame that isn't available from the moment you boot up the game)
  • Cannot register any kills with Excalibur Umbra
    • It's impossible to have zero Mastery Points with EU because he is given to the player at MR30
    • It IS possible though to play the one required mission with him without killing anything (proof supplied below...)
  • Must solo every kind of mission and boss
    • I have no way of proving this; you'll have to just take my word for it, sorry
    • This is a moving target, but at the time I achieved this, Elite Deep Archimedea was the latest challenge. Mag rolled week 1 and I got the Archimedean Eye Sumdali
  • Complete all quests
  • Trading/Buying is okay but I found it's more fun to avoid it in most cases
    • I often took advantage of the 75% discount whenever it came around, but I never actually did any public trading
    • Though I did enlist my wife's help for relic/ducat farming; it's fun helping each other with your hobbies
  • There's no limit on the amount of frames you use, they just have to all be the same type
    • I'm using Mag and Mag Prime, but the challenge could also be done with Volt and Volt Prime, or the Excalibur trio (though Excalibur Prime is now impossible to get)
    • I'll show my team in pictures below; I realized it was easier to have multiple Mags for different Archon Shard configs
  • No restrictions on other equipment; use whatever guns, blades, vehicles, companions, etc. to conquer the game
  • You can build other Warframes to Subsume them or make Specters
    • I feel like Subsumed abilities are not an insult to the frame you install them on; if a frame can use that ability well then it is a credit to that frame
    • I also grew up playing Megaman, so that might have affected my feelings on the subject
  • Cannot use other Warframes or The Stalker in Duviri
    • I don't actually know how this affects Mastery Points; I didn't want to experiment and possibly ruin my account so I played it safe and only used Mag
    • You'll always be able to play your frame in Duviri/Circuit if clear out over frames from your inventory, so I Subsumed/Sold all non-Mag frames
  • I never made any guidelines for Challenges, but I ended up doing most of them (including all the Nightwave ranks)
  • There were also several "hidden challenges" like the Halls of Ascension that I made sure  to check off the list

actually asked Support to confirm that I was the first account to accomplish this and they told me to go to the forums instead. I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm the first. But I'm 99% certain for the following reasons:

Spoiler
  • It wasn't possible prior to the Abyss of Dagath update (October 18th, 2023)
    • Prior to that, there just wasn't enough equipment available to reach MR30 without using Warframes)
    • This could have been bumped back to the Echos of Duviri update (July 27th, 2023) for Founders, but I doubt any Founder used just one type of frame for 10 years)
  • There is equipment that cannot be rushed via trading/purchasing
    • Daily Tribute equipment takes nearly two years to get
    • Some Prime equipment would be hard to get if it's not available in trade (especially for Nintendo Switch, but that's irrelevant)
  • While not impossible to grind faster, there's a LOT of hours that need to be spent just playing the game to open up MR point access
  • Excalibur Umbra

So basically, someone would have had to have had this idea years before October 18th, 2023, and been working on it diligently in preparation for the inevitability that it would one day become a possibility. And "working on it" would mean willingly not playing as new characters for all that time. Every time a new Warframe is presented, that player would have to think: "No thanks, I'll keep playing as my starter frame..." for every single update! And with power creep, nerfs, loadout restrictions, and game modes tailored to new frames, there's no shortage of temptation to play multiple characters. And this is not to even mention the fact that Warframes are just given to players sometimes. I got a starter pack for the Switch that gave me a Nidus, and just recently I think there was a Baruuk Prime given to everyone who logged into something. Who would be dumb enough to sell free Warframes for measly 20,000 credits? (Besides myself) It's just such a ridiculous self-imposed handicap that I don't see anyone else being interested.

And then there's Excalibur Umbra. By then I had already firmly resolved to become a True Mag Master so I knew exactly what to do. I parked Umbra off in a corner somewhere at the start and used my Operator to accomplish the mission (this was back before Operators had shields, mind you). But it's a VERY pivotal moment in the journey to become a True [Mag/Volt] Master. (If you're trying to become a True Excalibur Master though then there's zero problems here) Umbra acts on his own, so if you aren't both careful AND lucky, then you'll permanently ruin your ENTIRE account from that one mission. You can't even abort to save yourself. As soon as Umbra slashes a Sentient, you'll need to delete and recreate your account. In my opinion, this is the biggest barrier to becoming a True Mag Master or a True Volt Master, and it (along with the time windows and investment) is why I'm 99% certain I'm the first to make it here.

So with all that said, I hereby thrust my flag into the peak and claim the title: First True Mag Master

Claim Number 2 (a claim for Mag)
Mag is awesome! My account will forever stand as proof of that. The following is opinion so take it for what it's worth, and just a warning I'm going to be a little tongue-in-cheek about it...

Spoiler

Mag is a historically and infamously unpopular frame. She has the reputation of being bad at the early game for being complicated, energy thirsty, and squishy. All her downsides may be remedied by the late game when you get better accustomed to all the game systems, improved energy economy, and more diverse survival options, but by then you'll have gained access to other frames built specifically for the end game. So generally speaking most people think that there's just no place for Mag; an outcast on both ends of the game.

But in achieving the title of True Mag Master, which I believe to be the first and currently only True Master of only one Frame type, I subsequently believe I've earned the right to say that Mag deserves respect. She is currently the only frame in history to have an account acting as proof that she can solo every piece of game content in the entire WF universe. And she will always be the first to have said account. Sure, anyone can say that their favorite frame can do everything, but how many have shown it? One. In my very humble opinion, the Warframe Tier Lists are all nothing more than opinions, while my account is undeniable fact.

An "S-Tier" frame should be able to do everything by itself. Anyone is free to try and prove that their frame is S-Tier, but that proof has already now been established for Mag. If you want to label your frame as "S-Tier," then start walking the path that Mag has already finished. Beat everything, master everything, and do it on your own. Only then can you elevate your favorite frame to the top rank, where Mag will welcome you with the open arms of a proven veteran.

To address the criticisms about Mag, I think they play in her favor. I will admit that when I first started the game I hardly ever used Mag's abilities. I knew I only had 1 Crush, 2 Polarize, 3 Magnetize, or 7 Pull casts. Those abysmally small numbers meant that I should only rely on them for emergencies or with extremely careful planning. Because of that, I instead needed to learn the core, universal skills of the game: Agility, Aiming, Evading, Stealth, Leading, Lifting, Timing, and so on. For the first several planets, it didn't matter what frame I was using because I had to learn the skills that all frames have, and I had to rely on those skills because I was using the squishiest starter frame. It was harsh training in an unforgiving world. But making it through that gauntlet and learning those skills have benefited me throughout the entire game. Not even if EDA when they just turn off abilities and negate survival options, I don't feel out of my element (though I don't agree with that design choice). Mag forces players in the early game to not rely on their frame's innate talents, and that's a priceless lesson.

Then we move into late game content. How does Mag stack up? Well. She's stacked quite well. I remember when I got Zenurik and Fleeting Expertise and first had the realization: "Can I even be killed anymore?" And of course there were later challenges with toxin enemies and the new content where they just childishly say: "No Abilities! No Shields! Health Drain! No Operator!" (I'm of the opinion that those kinds of "challenges" are making the statement: "We can't make Warframe challenging anymore, so we're making challenges un-Warframe.") But still, as I've said, she can do it all. She can defend, kill, knockout/disable security systems, support, and control the battlefield. I don't like recent CC nerfs, but her 2 is just so powerful that it doesn't even matter. What's also great about Mag is that she's so upgradeable. Schools, Shards, Subsumes, and so much more pair well with her. She gets better the more attention you give her. Like a magnet that keeps collecting more and more as it rolls through the world. Not only is her performance  top notch, not only is she fun to play, but she's fun to build. She just makes the game better.

Evidence
I'm prepared to do more than just claim that Mag and I have done this. I have pictures!

Spoiler

a6I1mkd.jpeg
True Master Rank Completed

cxaQKrI.jpeg
Lotus' motherly words of congratulation

U4YjRsR.jpeg
Mastery Breakdown; notice the 18,000 points from Warframes. That's Mag, Mag Prime, and Excalibur Umbra

OmM2514.jpeg
3MCZxel.jpeg
xPsqeuT.jpeg
Hyf1x3L.jpeg
Scroll through Stats, mainly just to show the normalcy of the account itself

Jc1gl4C.jpeg
Challenges progress (embarrassed I still have some to get, but I'm being transparent about what I have and haven't done)

TWfkA9n.jpeg
lZkizHW.jpeg
JOQtQ9O.jpeg
KCzeloS.jpeg
FLQjKhB.jpeg
4WlzfBZ.jpeg
Scroll through Warframes to show that I got my 18,000 MR Points only from those three frames (as the rest are grayed out, showing they don't even have a single kill/point)

9Yvpm4y.jpeg
Excalibur Umbra: Zero Kills, Zero Kill Assists, Used Zero Percent of the time. I had to have him, but I made sure not to play as him.

R220tlk.jpeg
All Quests Completed

TlHUTHk.jpeg
Helminth Maxed Out and all Abilities Unlocked

If someone wants to claim "First" True Mag Master, then I'll require that they show the same level of evidence. I'm not trying to be petty or anything; I just think the accomplishment itself should be verified by more than just a "Nah, I did that years ago!" Especially considering I put over two thousand hours into getting this far.

Journey
Because it's been such a long road (relatively speaking, I know others have put more hours into this game), I'll take a moment to reminisce about how I got here:

Spoiler

For starters, I'll introduce the "team" of Mag I used...

kbHzCoy.jpeg
My Loadout system has four categories (different Mags with different Archon Shards) that each have four sub-categories (Mod Tabs / Equipment Choices):

1. Hero - Jack of All Trades Class
    1. ETC - General Purpose
    2. ALL - Tools to kill all factions
    3. HOP - Speed/mobility for farming runs
    4. SIT - High Duration for AFK duties
  2. Mage - Ability Casting Class
    1. KPM - ESO Build, High Range, Low Duration, Breach Surge
    2. ORB - Railjack Build, 30+ Seconds of Dispensary and Armor Strip
    3. POP - (Being repurposed) Was for farming Sisters of Parvos
    4. SLY - Overshield/Strip build that lets me spam Crush every second
  3. Rogue - Stealthy Speedster Class
    1. EXP - Used for ranking up equipment
    2. OFF - Multiple Invisibility options and bonuses around finishers
    3. RUN - Golden Instinct and Speed
    4. SPY - Spy/Rescue missions
  4. Tank - Unkillable Class
    1. AXE - Health Gen through Melee (Survive by killing)
    2. EHP - 250k+ Effective Hit Points so I can casually take on Archons (Survive by floating)
    3. ONE - Disruption missions (Survive by moving)
    4. TOP - Netracell missions (Survive by diversity)

I've modified these 16 options a lot and will probably make more changes as content evolves. Rank 30 gave me 15 more slots though and there are more Archon Shard varieties now, so I'm thinking of making additional classes. I also have a Yester* loadout to keep my original Mag that I awoke on day 1. I use that Mag for testing new concepts. If something works good with Mag then it will work better with Mag Prime, so I've found it's best to experiment using originals and then apply what you learned to Primes.

Hj4CWlA.jpeg
Hero - Probably my favorite look. I'm using the TennoGen Graxx Skin, which I've loved from the beginning. This is my oldest look and become the backbone of my style. It would have been sometime December of 2021 when I completed the first quest and started coming of with a signature look. From that moment on I made sure that all of my physiques would work off of the same Red/White/Black color pallet, include the TennoGen Sari Syandana, use a Community of Tenno sigil on the front, and have a floating animation set. The general motif is curves and bubbles, so later on when I got the Steel Meridian Sigil I standardized that as my back sigil (it runs straight up and down so the circle is on her back and the line runs down her spine and past her tailbone. I also later got the Waveform Ephemera from Nightwave which really fit the curves/bubbles theme well, so that became a staple of all looks moving forward as well. The only thing that doesn't fit with the color pallet it my clan emblem, which couldn't be avoided because it's a picture of my deceased cat and I'm not about to change that. Side note: I've learned most Mag lovers are also cat lovers. Hero uses an approximately even distribution of Red/White/Black to signify the generalist role.

k9Glbly.jpeg
Mage - Using the heirloom set, I modeled Mage to be very red based on the Crimson Archon shards. Mage's purpose is to maximize ability use, so I thought that would be fitting. The heirloom set was hard to find a good animation set for because the fabric would keep clipping through her limbs with most poses.

NRPjU8P.jpeg
Rogue - I chose a whiter appearance for rogue to signify the "ghostly" purpose of stealth and infiltration. Rogue uses the TennoGen Ferro Helmet because it looks like a speed-cyclist helmet, and the Immorta skin because the vertical lines give it a streaking feel.

2iQHPPr.jpeg
Tank - Going with black as the main color to show ironlike durability, Tank has the Pneuma Skin. I originally went with the Immortal skin for obvious reasons, but broad shoulders of Pneuma looks more armored. This is probably my least favorite look and I'm still playing with it. This current look uses the Graxx helmet, but yeah I still want to try other options.

aSatuM0.jpeg
Original - Original is constantly changing. She's the "try new things" teammate. Right now she's got her original Mag skin because I wanted to see how the color pallet would work on it. I went to Graxx almost immediately when I started playing and realized only recently that I haven't really explored the original skin's limits.

Other style choices I've settled on along the way:

• Minimally Minimalistic - I try to have simple, smooth looks, but I'm not requiring that of myself; I just don't like a lot of noise in the appearance
  • Melee Adornments - I obsess a LOT about how to place the Melee weapons. I have a love/hate relationship with melee; I love the flexibility, but hate how finicky it is
  • Primarily Hidden - I always hide the Primary Weapon. The Sari Syandana is just too gorgeous to clip a rifle into it

I began with just one Mag and a few months into it there was a Prime Resurgence that let me get Mag Prime. Next time it came around I ended up being two more Mag Primes, and I got the materials to build a third. So now I have four Mag Primes, which is what inspired me to start making a team. I'm now waiting for the next availability so I can add a few members for the new Archon Shards.

Now with the fashion out of the way, a little history:

Spoiler

My choice of Mag was very power-fantasy related. I booted up Warframe for the first time (I think) around 12/24/2021. Today is my 827th login, which would be 2/9/22, but I have an inbox message from Lotus about achieving MR 1 on 12/26/2021. I probably took some PTO to get a four day weekend, so that's why I'm estimating sometime earlier in the week. My friend had been playing since the beginning of Warframe and was pestering me to join for years, but his begging got much more persistent when they introduced the game on the Nintendo Switch platform. He offered to start a brand new account on the Switch if I would play with him, and so I agreed. He and his wife both started Switch accounts, and we all began a new journey together.

When I began, I was presented with the three starter frame choices. I watched the video carefully to see which abilities I liked, and Mag's was a clear winner to me. I've always loved telekinesis. I lived just about 40 years and never experienced a nightmare despite having very vivid memories of my dreams. One of the reasons for this is because, in my dreams, I always have telekinesis. It's so natural that real life seems boring by comparison. But it's difficult to feel scared when I can flick my wrist and sent anything I want up into the sun. So as soon as I saw Mag I knew this was the character for me!

When I joined up with my friends, they laughed at me for picking Mag. "I can't believe you picked the worst frame!" they jeered. I asked "What's so bad about Mag? I think she's cool!" They then went on to tell me why everyone hates Mag, and they assured me of one thing: "You're going to get sick of her soon, and when you do there are so many better frames out there to choose from." But that whole exchange bothered me. Mag was cool, and I wasn't about to just dump her the second someone new came prancing along. It was then during first few days of playing when I had the thought: How far can I actually go with Mag? Sure she's a starter character, but does this game require you to move on? Next time my friends logged on I explained that I was going to stick with Mag as long as I could, and they got angry with me. "You're going to drag us down, and you won't be able to get to higher Mastery Ranks if you only stick to one character. I mean do whatever you want, but it's just not going to work out the way you think it will..."

I fought my way thought the Star Chart, and at first it was a struggle. I chose the Paris as my starter weapon, and each mission took like a 15 minutes because I tried being as stealthy as possible and also broke all the loot boxes I could find. When my friends logged on I'd have to hurry up because they tended to care less about not triggering alarms or getting all the loot. It was fun of course laughing and working together, but I started to realize I liked playing at my own pace more. At first, my user name was "User0.0b" because I thought it would be funny to imply that I wanted to be the first user (User0.0) but then something went wrong and I had to do it twice (thus the "b"). But after a while of playing I realized a funny habit of mine. Because the game doesn't let you pause if you're in friends mode, and I wanted to keep it in friends mode in case my friends logged on, this also meant I couldn't play it with in the living room when I was hanging out with my wife. She was used to asking me to pause games, but I couldn't and so we just awkwardly didn't talk to one another. So I instead played the game silently when we went to bed and she was asleep, but I could never stay awake that long. I'd just fall asleep wherever my character was, and sometimes that would be public places like Fortuna or Relays. I'd wake up to direct messages and invitations, but from players that had logged off hours before. So I decided to rename myself as something that would warn users that I'm probably not going to be responsive:

Probably_Asleep

As time went on I learned maps well enough that I could stick my character into safe areas whenever my wife needed to talk to me, so I was able to play the game during normal hours, but I really liked the username. My friends just stopped playing one day too, and they never told me why. I was sad and confused at first. I tried very hard to be supportive, and was at a higher level than both of them. It was clear to me that I wasn't "dragging them down" as they had feared. I think if anything they just had hoped that cross-play would come much sooner, and it wasn't that fun playing as weak characters when their strong accounts were on the Playstation. But I was hooked to the game by this point anyway, and I was playing it every day for the most part. I also had done research on Mag and realized that there were long standing grudges and controversies surrounding her. At first I just wanted to see how far I could go, but after a while my goal evolved to the True Mag Master concept when I realized that it would one day be possible if mainline updates kept adding weapons and the MR ranks never changed their point thresholds.

Through just normal gameplay I got Primed Flow and Fleeting Expertise. This let me build up enough energy to be able to spam abilities as much as I wanted for a short time. At that point I got my first glimpse of Mag's true potential and I remember thinking: "You're actually kind of amazing, aren't you Mag?" but without a good way to generate energy it was like an invincibility star than a gameplay style. That all changed though when I get Zenurik and could generate 5 energy per second. At that point I didn't even need Primed Flow anymore! I could cast Crush every 8 seconds, and effectively infinite Pulls and Magnetizes. Once I got to that point, the game completely changed. I could finally start thinking of Mag in regards to her abilities.

At the start, Armor-Stripping wasn't a very good option in both practice as well as value. To armor strip with Mag prior to the rework you needed cast three abilities (and if memory serves you needed an aura too?). But it wasn't even necessary, everything in her bubble died regardless of armor. Star Chart, Steel Path, it didn't matter. Polarize had an amazing augment though. It could shut down all ranged attackers instantly and was I could spam it as needed to only focus on melee units. (Which I could just let die in the bubble) things have changed over the years, but Mag has always been able to keep up one way or another.

I continued on the journey, making absolutely sure to never accidentally gain MR points from another frame. Excalibur Umbra made me very nervous, but I was careful and precise to get through the one required mission without any Umbra kills. Then in summer of 2023 I realized that it was finally mathematically possible to get to MR30 with just Mag/Prime. I began ranking up any equipment I could find, but it was a long road and months went by. I hadn't realized it at the time, but it was actually October 18th, 2023 when it truly became possible for my account, considering exclusive weapons. It was the fall of 2023 when I surpassed my friend's original account. The friend that got me into Warframe, the one who said I'd have to give Mag up one day, and the one who had been playing Warframe from the beginning. I could have considered that as a victory, but my goals had already been pointed higher. I wanted to achieve a genuine first: The True Mag Master title.

Fortunately my gameplay had already accumulated massive amounts of relics. I enlisted my wife's help to crack them like crazy, and got a lot of primed weapons out of it. I made spreadsheets to track my progress, and dived into every piece of the game for components and resources. One by one I found and built different weapons, and the points trickled in painfully slowly. Along the way I also beat all the content. Missions, Quests, Bosses, Archons, TFO, DA/EDA, and all the little things. Getting to MR30 without using Warframe points really forces you to explore the entire game.

I then got to rank 27, another milestone. That had been my goal years before, the last gold-colored rank possible with the points available at that time. But now I could keep going. I saved the Adversary weapons mainly for last. They were so tedious, and I immediately regretted that I hadn't done this already. But I kept going. And finally, on Monday, May 13th, 2024, I got enough points. It was thanks to the Tenet Livia that I stepped over the threshold. It was time for the final test.

(The test was actually super easy)

And I did it! MR 30, a True Master, almost entirely solo, and ONLY as Mag! The ribbon was torn, the "race" with only one competitor was finally over.

We did it, Mag, we did it.

And now it's done! I really wish I could ask for something for this like an accolade for me account or something, but it's obvious that this is a journey I solely found value in myself. I may think it's worthy of something, but I accept that it's an entirely subjective evaluation.

What's next?
Not sure. I'm going to keep playing Warframe, but I'm not going to sully my account with other frames. This account will always be a monument to Mag's status as the first true top-tier frame; the first frame to have done everything herself all the way up to MR30. It would be tragic to ruin that.

The only way I'd play as another frame is if they introduced another within the same "framily." If they started making "Umbra" models of other frames then I'd of course play as Mag Umbra. But barring that, I can just dabble in whatever new content comes along.

For now though, I'm still feeling the emotional high. This was a good game, and even if they make new modes that make Warframe less like itself, even if they nerf CC, even if they let the power creep like Dragon Ball, it doesn't matter anymore. I got the title, I vidicated Mag, and nothing is going to ever be able to change that now.

Final Thought
I don't want to come across like I'm bragging, even humble-bragging. I'm happy and proud of what I've accomplished, but I fully recognized that people have done amazing things in this game and put much more time, energy, and money in to this than I have. I had a goal for myself and I accomplished it. That's a good feeling and I'm excited enough that I want to shout it into the Void that is the internet.

Also, I'm not going to touch the other two titles. There's still True Excalibur Master and True Volt Master. Those are there for the next adventurer to seek. But if you do claim that title, I hope you'll include an @ to my account so I can comment on it and give you my heartfelt congratulations and respect. I know how hard it is to do, and I want to virtually shake the hand of whoever manages to get there next.

Edited by Probably_Asleep
Spelled "plaque" as "plague" - LOL
  • Like 25

I think you deserve to share what you've done. I think it's pretty neat to find novel ways to engage with your hobbies, and sharing is always welcome. Don't mistake sharing with bragging (which you aren't).

I thought this was a delightful post, and thank you for sharing an interesting journey.

Hope you're ready for Proto-Mag

• Like 5

Originally I was going to come in with a dumb joke, and reference to something, like Magneto, from X-Men, or a random fact about magnets, but seeing the sincerity, and hard work and dedication to a goal you had, your careful documentation, and just general dedication to a self set goal and challenge, I am impressed and thought this was interesting post to read, and now comment on. 

So congratulations and thank you for providing context and commentary. Its not necessarily something I would personally do, but I still think its cool and fun thing for someone to set for themselves, for whatever reason they might have. I do also generally think that Mag is underrated, and exceptionally cool, as well as one of my fav Warframes (well I don't really actually have a single favourite, but she would be a top contender if I did), so thats cool for me to see on that level. 

Cheers! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Originally I was going to come in with a dumb joke, and reference to something, like Magneto, from X-Men, or a random fact about magnets, but seeing the sincerity, and hard work and dedication to a goal you had, your careful documentation, and just general dedication to a self set goal and challenge, I am impressed and thought this was interesting post to read, and now comment on. 

So congratulations and thank you for providing context and commentary. Its not necessarily something I would personally do, but I still think its cool and fun thing for someone to set for themselves, for whatever reason they might have. I do also generally think that Mag is underrated, and exceptionally cool, as well as one of my fav Warframes (well I don't really actually have a single favourite, but she would be a top contender if I did), so thats cool for me to see on that level. 

Cheers! 

I can completely relate to that pre-joke brainstorming feeling! My wife actually has learned how to recognize it in my face. She'll be telling me something serious and then stop and say: "Okay, what? What do you want to say? I'm not going to finish my story until you tell me whatever dumb joke you came up with..."

Also thanks! To you and everyone. It was a long post so even just knowing people read it is great. And I'm sure if Mag were real she would thank you to. Don't say that! She's real to me!

I was worried the post would be... polarizing... but everyone has instead been quite... magnanimous. It's great to see how everyone... sticks together.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-05-17 at 3:07 AM, Probably_Asleep said:

I knew I only had 1 Crush, 2 Polarize, 3 Magnetize, or 7 Pull casts

And I bet that info is so ingrained in your memory that you wake up in midnight, steel sleepy, and you recite your family members and Mag's data. *chef's kiss*

My Loadout system has four categories (different Mags with different Archon Shards) that each have four sub-categories (Mod Tabs / Equipment Choices):

Wait, do you have another copies of Mags(prime) for different shards or does loadouts system allow different shards for different loadouts?

For starters, I'll introduce the "team" of Mag I used...

*proceed to show fashion*

You must be really dedicated. I'm not insulting you. I'm just amazed.

So I decided to rename myself as something that would warn users that I'm probably not going to be responsive:

Probably_Asleep

And now it's done! I really wish I could ask for something for this like an accolade for me account or something, but it's obvious that this is a journey I solely found value in myself. I may think it's worthy of something, but I accept that it's an entirely subjective evaluation.

DE: *advertises game as having lots of frames with different abilities*

*Probably asleep steps in with Mag-only MR30*

*DE proceed to remove their account*

Seriously, if you don't get anything, not even simple pat on the back then I would be disappointed. I think there were time where some user made like 50 mags and DE made him a skin.

Final Thought
I don't want to come across like I'm bragging, even humble-bragging. I'm happy and proud of what I've accomplished, but I fully recognized that people have done amazing things in this game and put much more time, energy, and money in to this than I have. I had a goal for myself and I accomplished it. That's a good feeling and I'm excited enough that I want to shout it into the Void that is the internet.

Even you brag about it... who cares. I wouldn't spend whole, few years, game playing as 1 frame. When game started I "mained" Limbo. Then after year(s) I've been changing frames to stuff like Xaku (disarming Xaku were great), Kullervo, Qorvex. Now my favorite is Dante.

What's next?

How about trying another frames (on different account)?

Ok, all good stuff aside, but I need to comment on your progress (and question something). How about Necramechs, Operator (power&amps) and companions for kills. I've heard or seen about players finishing some part of WF with Mechs or Operator. So your "mag-only" proof would be not great without showing stats on those. You can for example cheese some (if not all) open world with Mechs. And of course, you need some damage (not sure if it treat it as kills) like Thrax units (non duviri), Angels or Eidolons. I think you should at least post screenshots of those (mags, mechs, companions).

Usage of Helminth and weapons feels like cheating (at least a little), imho. Like if you kill everything with K.nukor or melee then can you say that it's Mag's merit? I get it that your knowledge and what you can do with Mag is extraordinary. I won't do some stuff solo, even with access to any frame/mech/op-stuff like Eidolons.

Summing up, good job Tenno. You weren't *cough*asleep*cough* during that journey. We need make petition to include your name in some form into future game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quxier said:

Summing up, good job Tenno. You weren't *cough*asleep*cough* during that journey. We need make petition to include your name in some form into future game!

I agree.  Definitely a heck of an achievement.

Although for the sake of retaining what sanity you have left OP, I'd definitely urge at least making a new account to try other frames.  Pretty sure you've earned it. 🤣

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Raarsi said:
1 hour ago, quxier said:

Although for the sake of retaining what sanity you have left OP, I'd definitely urge at least making a new account to try other frames.  Pretty sure you've earned it. 🤣

Imagine people will show OP's account to new players saying something like: "you need to beat whole game with 1 frame to have access to other frames".

• Like 2

Congrats, that's amazing.

On 2024-05-16 at 6:07 PM, Probably_Asleep said:

You can build other Warframes to Subsume them or make Specters

Do you have any Kills on spectered frames?  It used to be that specters could add to these numbers. It looks like this was fixed or partially fixed at some point, but I don't know when.

(Not that I'm suggesting you'll need to start over if this is the case. :P )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quxier said:

Imagine people will show OP's account to new players saying something like: "you need to beat whole game with 1 frame to have access to other frames".

Sounds like a great rite of passage to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, quxier said:
  1. And I bet that info is so ingrained in your memory that you wake up in midnight, steel sleepy, and you recite your family members and Mag's data. *chef's kiss*
  2. Wait, do you have another copies of Mags(prime) for different shards or does loadouts system allow different shards for different loadouts?
  3. *proceed to show fashion*
    You must be really dedicated. I'm not insulting you. I'm just amazed.
  4. {CAT VIDEO}
  5. DE: *advertises game as having lots of frames with different abilities*
    *Probably asleep steps in with Mag-only MR30*
    *DE proceed to remove their account*
  6. Seriously, if you don't get anything, not even simple pat on the back then I would be disappointed. I think there were time where some user made like 50 mags and DE made him a skin.
  7. Even you brag about it... who cares. I wouldn't spend whole, few years, game playing as 1 frame. When game started I "mained" Limbo. Then after year(s) I've been changing frames to stuff like Xaku (disarming Xaku were great), Kullervo, Qorvex. Now my favorite is Dante.
  8. How about trying another frames (on different account)?
  9. Ok, all good stuff aside, but I need to comment on your progress (and question something). How about Necramechs, Operator (power&amps) and companions for kills. I've heard or seen about players finishing some part of WF with Mechs or Operator. So your "mag-only" proof would be not great without showing stats on those. You can for example cheese some (if not all) open world with Mechs. And of course, you need some damage (not sure if it treat it as kills) like Thrax units (non duviri), Angels or Eidolons. I think you should at least post screenshots of those (mags, mechs, companions).
  10. Usage of Helminth and weapons feels like cheating (at least a little), imho. Like if you kill everything with K.nukor or melee then can you say that it's Mag's merit? I get it that your knowledge and what you can do with Mag is extraordinary. I won't do some stuff solo, even with access to any frame/mech/op-stuff like Eidolons.
  11. Summing up, good job Tenno. You weren't *cough*asleep*cough* during that journey. We need make petition to include your name in some form into future game!
  1. It is! There's all these little habits that form when you need to watch your energy. I still find myself counting even now that I have a spam-able builds.
  2. Yeah unfortunately loadouts do NOT let you change your Archon Shards. So I need a separate Mag for every shard-config. It's also helpful for Helminth.
  3. I do accept that this play style isn't for everyone (or currently anyone). Even if someone was being insulting I'd think it's understandable.
  4. LOL! I've never seen that long of an edit. I'm a huge cat-lover, and the internet has only intensified that emotion.
  5. Haha! Oh gosh I hope not...
  6. I don't even know how to ask. It's not like DE has the time to read the forums. I was hoping the support ticket would work but they said go to the forums with that kind of stuff. I even thought about making a custom poster or something and mailing it to their headquarters, but all my ideas make me think I'd be pathetic and look like I'm begging.
  7. On the one hand I feel like bragging because I got to prove my friend wrong and accomplish something that no human has done in the history of the universe. BUT... the same thing can be said about anything, really. I'm the first person in the history of the universe to touch my left-back molar with all four sides of my tongue. Does that mean anything? The first person to walk on the moon, the first woman to be elected to the DA office in the 9th judicial district of Ohio, the first 9 year old to fart louder than 100 decibels, etc... Who's to say one accomplishment is any better than another? Personally of the examples I just gave I'd be most impressed with the 9 year old. Long story short, I'm able to separate my feelings from the situation and accept that it's just something I thought was cool.
    And like with what you're doing, mastering multiple frames could be a completely different, equally rewarding, and equally impressive use of time.
  8. I'm not sure. A part of me feels like it would be a brand new game, but another part of me feels like it would be a boring rerun with less enjoyable playstyles. I'm not dismissing the idea; I just want to give it some time and see if I start developing a yearning to start again. (See if the replay value recharges)
  9. So about the Necramechs/Operator thing. I see Mag as the main character of this story, and the other equipment is just her Arsenal. The game is called "Warframe" after all. For example, I use VoidRrig for Eidolon joints, and I use my Operator for generating energy, but I don't see that as a corruption from the goal. Warframes are a different category than Vehicles/Amps. Mag is using everything available to her to complete the mission.
    That's not to say it couldn't be switched around. Someone could say they're going to beat the game with just the Sancti/Tigris/Prime, and they master every Warframe/Necramech/Amp along the way to MR30 (becoming a "True Tigris Master"). I'm just saying that I restricted myself to a single Arsenal category while not restricting myself on the other categories. But I do feel like the Warframe category is the backbone of how this game's experience is defined. (But that's just a personal take)
  10. The way I see it is that I'm playing through Mag's story. I'm getting all the way to "True Master," fully immersed as if I were playing a game where the only character available is Mag. In Mega Man X if you don't get the X-Buster upgrade before defeating Vile, then Zero will give you his Z-Buster (spoilers, sorry). They're functionally identical, and the story is the same either way. In that playthrough, you're still beating the game as X. Just because you have Zero's weapon on your arm doesn't mean you're beating it 95% as X and 5% as Zero. X still saved the world, he just did it with the help of his friends. That's what I see in the Helminth system. If Rhino wants to help Mag in her journey by letting her use Roar, then it's not like he's now the character being played.
    And going back to the Mega Man illustration (now talking about weapons): In Mega Man 2, I don't think it's any less Mega Man who saves the world depending on whether or not he uses his Mega Buster vs Metal Blade. Especially since some enemies can't even be killed with the Mega Buster. (Wily's Alien Puppet for example can only be brought down with Lead Bubble) The weapon doesn't matter, it's whoever is pulling the trigger. And this is a little bit speculative, but like Mega Man I think Mag is supposed to use various weapons. She doesn't have an exalted weapon, nor does she have a "signature" weapon. And her abilities synergize with weaponry. Her Pull opens enemies to ground finishers and generally draws them into range for Melee Weapons. Her Magnetize redirects/amplifies projectiles from Primary/Secondary Weapons. Polarize we'll skip, but her Crush isn't really meant to kill; it's originally a survival/CC ability and later an armor strip, letting her continue to use her 1 & 2 abilities to their fullest. It would seem that when Mag became a Warframe, she manifested abilities specifically to enhance her weapon efficacy. She's not a hand-to-hand combatant; she's a weapon's master. So how could I call myself I True Mag Master if I denied her use of weapons?
  11. Always a pleasure, @quxier!
7 hours ago, Raarsi said:

Thanks! And if I start a new journey I'll update the thread on my next project. For now I have some other games like Tears of the Kingdom and Xenoblade that I've been putting off due to my obsession with getting this achievement. But I still plan to keep up with the new content; I'm really looking forward to the 1999 stuff. And I still need to get those infuriating Vandal weapons from ESO!

6 hours ago, quxier said:

Haha! Man I hope not. Although if they added "...unless you start the game from Duviri!" then players might actually be like: "Got'cha! 2000+ hours in 1 frame then!"
(I'm kidding, DE, please don't do anything to my precious account)

5 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Do you have any Kills on spectered frames?  It used to be that specters could add to these numbers. It looks like this was fixed or partially fixed at some point, but I don't know when.

(Not that I'm suggesting you'll need to start over if this is the case. :P )

Funnily enough, I never built non-Mag Specters specifically because I as worried about this. I don't think it would, but I didn't want to take the chance.

In fact, I don't even keep other frames around if I can help it. (That Umbra freeloader is still chilling in my Orbiter) I either immediately run to the Helminth, or sell them. My worry is that I'll accidentally have one active and then enter a mission and accidentally get a kill and ruin the entire account. I treat other frames like a sealed container of Ebola and handle them very carefully.

5 hours ago, Raarsi said:

Sounds like a great rite of passage to me.

It might silence new player complaints around having to get all the way through the Star Chart and New War!

"This game takes so much time just to get access to the new content! Like over 100 hours!"

"One player did it all with their starter frame."

"Never mind..."

Heh, I think back in 2013 a lot of players were Mag masters.

There was no Magnetic damage so her Crush ability simply one-shot everything within range. She was the original nuke frame.
She remained that way with Corpus using old Polarize. One-shots regardless of enemy level.

I'd prolly play her more if Magnetize didn't released completely scuffed and remains kinda scuffed to this day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Probably_Asleep said:

Funnily enough, I never built non-Mag Specters specifically because I as worried about this. I don't think it would, but I didn't want to take the chance.

It turns out I was looking at the wrong frame's profile numbers when I ran the test earlier.  Oberon Prime specter kills are definitely counting toward Oberon Prime profile kills.  IIRC they could also count toward usage%, but I have too much actual usage on my available specters for a quick test to be likely to confirm that.  They don't count toward experience though.

The specter's primary kills also counted toward my total Phenmor kills.  Also a couple of Phenmor headshots.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Heh, I think back in 2013 a lot of players were Mag masters.

There was no Magnetic damage so her Crush ability simply one-shot everything within range. She was the original nuke frame.
She remained that way with Corpus using old Polarize. One-shots regardless of enemy level.

I'd prolly play her more if Magnetize didn't released completely scuffed and remains kinda scuffed to this day.

You should play her more! Mag will always take you back; she misses you.

I only started playing her after the controversies about her nuke-nerf and Greedy Pull had died down, so I was fortunately spared from any shock of having to completely change my style while playing her. But Mag's current kit is SO versatile! (Like... versatile enough to solo the entire game)

If I had to guess, I'd say the thing people complain most about with Magnetize is that it stops sucking enemies in after the target enemy dies (or when another bubble is cast, or sometimes just as a bug). But the grouping ability of Magnetize isn't what makes it great! It does three things that I absolutely love:

1. DoT can be set up to create instant-kill zone for just about all mobs (and a few seconds for Eximus)
  2. Projectile Protection never stops, so with some spatial awareness it makes all ranged enemies irrelevant (even CC-immune ones)
  3. Final Blast has insane one-shot everyone kind of potential. It's LoS, but you can jump up and pull enemies into the air right before it goes off

Sure, it doesn't nuke the room, but I think it's more versatile. Defense/Offense and Endurance/KPM are both handled at the same time. But more important that all that, it's just fun to play. It's not a boring AFK ability, or a mind numbing click repeatedly ability; it's an action-puzzle with near infinite permutations! If done incorrectly it can draw enemy fire into a defense target and fail the entire mission for the squad. But if done correctly it can be better than Snow Globe because it protects, kills, and then clears the area when it's done.

It can turn bad maps into ideal survival holdout spots, and you can string them together to make a migrating centipede of immortality for you and death for your enemies.

I could go on, but suffice it to say I really like Magnetize...

6 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

It turns out I was looking at the wrong frame's profile numbers when I ran the test earlier.  Oberon Prime specter kills are definitely counting toward Oberon Prime profile kills.  IIRC they could also count toward usage%, but I have too much actual usage on my available specters for a quick test to be likely to confirm that.  They don't count toward experience though.

The specter's primary kills also counted toward my total Phenmor kills.  Also a couple of Phenmor headshots.

Thanks for looking into that! I'll be sure never to use non-Mag Specters then.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Didn't know this... might explain why, on my profile, Loki Prime has a couple thousand kills to its name 🤔

On-topic, nice one @Probably_Asleep! I will try to remember to check out your profile in game when I next log in!

Edited by Nira
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Probably_Asleep said:

If I had to guess, I'd say the thing people complain most about with Magnetize is that it stops sucking enemies in after the target enemy dies (or when another bubble is cast, or sometimes just as a bug). But the grouping ability of Magnetize isn't what makes it great! It does three things that I absolutely love:

Oh, the concept was never really bad. Quite good. It works differently now in many ways. For instance Mag used to be able to "Bubble Hop" between Magnetize to stay entirely safe from enemy fire. The bubble didn't really take into consideration vector of the incoming shot until after a certain point of entering the bubble so standing on it's edge proved very safe.

When it was first made it had a huge quantity of issues. It didn't and still does not consider Crits, It did not consider multi-shot for Hit-scan weapons and only counted 1 pellet from shotguns. It also didn't pull enemies in nor have damage fall-off. It had an insane interaction with Punch-through. Picking the right weapon after understanding it's mechanics proved very potent. Night and Day.

I used to be an Endurance runner and Mag was a common pick though back then Duration mattered a lot more for stacking damage ticks. I've played Mag since I came back and was esp happy about Crush cast speed being added to the augment and the fix to Pull since it mostly just threw enemies behind you. She's overall less insane for picking the right weapon with Magnetize but better as an overall pick. She was very limited in her weapon selection before.

This is a video of the Punch-Through thing which was hilarious. It also talks about it's older mechanic quirks:

Spoiler

Edited by Xzorn

Considering you can make it through this game with any frame given enough skill and a good build, it needs to be said, OP mag salesman...  Being great with a frame =\= a frame being great.

3 hours ago, dazrael said:

Considering you can make it through this game with any frame given enough skill and a good build, it needs to be said, OP mag salesman...  Being great with a frame =\= a frame being great.

But Mag is a great frame though.

Grats OP.

Mag was my starter frame and she's always been one of my favorites. She's stayed in rotation of my most played frames. 

• Like 2

On 2024-05-30 at 11:23 PM, Nira said:

Didn't know this... might explain why, on my profile, Loki Prime has a couple thousand kills to its name 🤔

On-topic, nice one @Probably_Asleep! I will try to remember to check out your profile in game when I next log in!

When you said that I got the same sudden adrenaline rush that comes when a friend tells me they want to come over and I suddenly worry that the house isn't tidy enough. Being married has had some interesting affects on my psyche... I never felt that back in my bachelor days.

On 2024-05-31 at 3:56 AM, Xzorn said:

Oh, the concept was never really bad. Quite good. It works differently now in many ways. For instance Mag used to be able to "Bubble Hop" between Magnetize to stay entirely safe from enemy fire. The bubble didn't really take into consideration vector of the incoming shot until after a certain point of entering the bubble so standing on it's edge proved very safe.

When it was first made it had a huge quantity of issues. It didn't and still does not consider Crits, It did not consider multi-shot for Hit-scan weapons and only counted 1 pellet from shotguns. It also didn't pull enemies in nor have damage fall-off. It had an insane interaction with Punch-through. Picking the right weapon after understanding it's mechanics proved very potent. Night and Day.

I used to be an Endurance runner and Mag was a common pick though back then Duration mattered a lot more for stacking damage ticks. I've played Mag since I came back and was esp happy about Crush cast speed being added to the augment and the fix to Pull since it mostly just threw enemies behind you. She's overall less insane for picking the right weapon with Magnetize but better as an overall pick. She was very limited in her weapon selection before.

This is a video of the Punch-Through thing which was hilarious. It also talks about it's older mechanic quirks:

I'm very interested in this Saturn's Rings idea that the video mentioned. My low-range builds are usually for self-buffing; I just assume Magnetize is going to be useless in that build. "Bubble Hop" is a good name for it, too!

On 2024-05-31 at 6:26 AM, dazrael said:

That's fair. I do admit that I've got a major Mag-bias, and I really want others to love playing her as much as I do. My point about Mag's awesomeness was that now there exists an account that proves Mag can do anything, which cannot be said of any other frame. But to be honest I do believe most frames probably could do all content. (And the exceptions tend to get reworked after a long enough wait)

On 2024-05-31 at 9:32 AM, Berzerkules said:

But Mag is a great frame though.

Grats OP.

Mag was my starter frame and she's always been one of my favorites. She's stayed in rotation of my most played frames. 

Thanks!

Just a curiosity, but do you like cats? For some reason people that love Mag tend to love cats.

Also the pun quality of your username is top notch.

On 2024-05-31 at 1:32 PM, Hobie-wan said:

You're insane, but the best kind of insane. Congrats on reaching your goal. 🙂

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2024-05-16 at 6:29 PM, Probably_Asleep said:

8QGV2a7pfDKc8.webp

(Medically speaking I don't think I am...)

Also loved your reply, thanks!

Man this is straight 2013 Warframe energy and I love it. That is one impressive achievement, chief. Fantastic work, and the greatest of all kudos to a job VERY well done! xD

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Probably_Asleep said:

Thanks!

Just a curiosity, but do you like cats? For some reason people that love Mag tend to love cats.

Also the pun quality of your username is top notch.

I love all animals and plant life but I do have a particular fondness for felines.

I just picked up a cat from the shelter a couple months ago after not living with one for about 5 years. After I had 3 cats and a dog that were 13-16 y/o pass in a 2 year period i wasn't ready for another furry companion until recently. I was actually still reluctant but my wife and daughter finally convinced me to go to the shelter. The shelter said they only had one cat but she was shy and wouldn't let anyone close. We walked into the room and she perked up, got super talkative and was trying to get us to pet her through the cage. She picked us. It finally felt like the right time and we found the right cat.