Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

See they really messed up part as it works every so often, then won't work for a week straight. Another strange thing is my friend has the same router and net provider and we have all our settings the same and he does not get the strict NaT warning. We both are using a wrt120 linksys.

I have the same issue but im willing to wait until DE gets better servers hopefully soon haha, however i havent tried turning off the UPnP. Im willing to try since i already know how to manually port forward... After i dl this 16.9 GB file T.T

Edit: Disabling the UPnP and having the ports forwarded does nothing except for delaying the Nat error by 10 seconds or so after logging in i really have no clue tried it all now even had a friend of mine look at it its a pain, i wonder if this has something to do with me living in a apartment i think im going crazy D:

Edit2: Just wondering will the game ever get dedicated servers so other people dont have to host, And if yes got any clue when?

Edit3: I dont know if this is the case for everyone but i can play with some players but theres also some others that i cant play with i really wonder what the heck is going on.

Edited by Kahereck

I've given up already.. I'll just accept the Strict NAT.. I've disabled uPnP, i've forwarded the ports, disabled my firewall, and more stuff..

Nothing worked.. Maybe by router doesn't allow port forwarding..

Oh well.. I'll keep soloing stuff i guess..

---//---

Edit: My Strict NAT message randomly disapeared.. oO

Edited by whitehorus

So the problem is fixing it's self randomly? Oookay.

Also, I gotta say; I lul'd when someone suggested getting a new router just to play a game with a porting system that probably wasn't even nesessary to have in the first place.

I'm liking this game so far but man; this is a huge, glaring problem about the game. Doesn't help that it seems like a huge majority of people are having the issue as well. I seriously doubt it's only a problem on our ends when the problem fixes it's self without any changes from the player.

Edited by Triburos

If you actually have to check the percentage of the people having the problem and it's nearing 10% of your entire playerbase; it's a problem. You can't really expect roughly 10% of your playerbase to have to get a new piece of tech just to play your game man, surely you think that's a bit messed up :P.

Not really fair to throw a bunch of players into a statistical chart and just leave them to rot. Especially when they're the players that are part of the forum community and not just 'filler players' that are going to quit the game in like 2-3 weeks that give your playerbase the number it has.

It's not my game so I have no clue how the game even gets players together. But it does seem odd how you guys had to use a porting system when other games that function very similar to your own don't need it. I just hope you guys, if you need to, can change how online functions work. Many of us have tried the instructions you've suggested and it often results in... Well, no results.

I'll give you this though; the problem atleast for now randomly fixed it's self for me as well just now. I got my first bit of someone talking in a game lobby's chat AND the global chat on the main menu works for some reason now. I even screencapped the glorious moment :P.

I didn't change anything on my end, so maybe you guys did something in the recent patch? I unno. When I logged on I still got the error, but this was a few hours ago.

Edit: Whoop, the network analyzer still says it's detecting Strict NAT, but the global chat is still working and I still can get games... What's going on here :P

Edited by Triburos

Triburos i have the same issue so i can tell you whats gonna happen, you will be able to play with specific people i have 2 theories on this.

1. The people you can play with also have strict NAT and since your NAT is the same as theirs it will work.

2. You will be able to play with people in your Country but will not be able to communicate or play with people outside of it.

So, as with everyone else here I've been getting the Strict NAT message, but after opening all the ports and messing with UPnP It's gone from "UPnP not detected" to "Malfunctioning" I'm not really sure where to go from here. I'm also the only one playing on this network.

I got that as well echo, but my UPnP setting on my router isn't malfunctioning apparently. After some messing around it went back to saying it wasn't detected. Been that was since.

@Kah

Well I can speak with the entire global chat, and I don't think some of them have strict NAT because I asked once and a few replied that they had it, while others replied they didn't.

While there does seem to be little games across the planets (I usually see 3-5 people playing in a single planet, not a whole lot), I can usually join them and have people join my own game. Can talk to them as well.

I don't know if I'm still limited as to who I can play with, though.

Edited by Triburos

I got that as well echo, but my UPnP setting on my router isn't malfunctioning apparently. After some messing around it went back to saying it wasn't detected. Been that was since.

@Kah

Well I can speak with the entire global chat, and I don't think some of them have strict NAT because I asked once and a few replied that they had it, while others replied they didn't.

While there does seem to be little games across the planets (I usually see 3-5 people playing in a single planet, not a whole lot), I can usually join them and have people join my own game. Can talk to them as well.

I don't know if I'm still limited as to who I can play with, though.

Nat works btdisabling or enabling you to connect to people with different nat types. There are three nat types: Open, moderate and strict. Some routers only have 2 and some dont have nat at all but there should be 3. Moderate nat types can connect to open and moderate. Open nat types can connect ot any of three types. Strict can only connect to open. i've heard moderate is the most common type so people with strict nats will have trouble playing with others because open nat players arent common it seems. You will always be limited to who you can play with in peer to peer games such as this unless you have an open nat type. I'm not 100% sure this is how it works but I think it is. I'm not particularly great with routers. A defintie fix to this problem would simply be to get dedicated servers for the game. These servers would also fix problems such as annoying host migrations due to leavers and lag because of a host + any other issues you can think of that are player network side. I'd like to know why there arent servers actually because I dont see a reason why, seriously though name any RPG even the crappiest ones with smaller playerbases made by nobodies that arent nearly as great as this game and dont have anywhere near the potential that this game does have dedicated servers. We arent talking blizzard like service here, just some decent servers.

Also strict nat might also be called closed in router setup. There isnt a definite nat setup because all routers are different, some dont even have it.

I know im not helping your problem but I hope this clears things up for you so you have a better understanding of what the problem is and you might be able to find a fix but I honestl doubt it. Sometimes this S#&$ just doesnt work.

Edited by TheGrimNinjah

Note quite a huge majority last I checked. Stats suggest more like 7% I think.

So why did you reply to the most irrelevant part. I dont understand why you dont reply to other parts even if it's just a I really dont know i'm sorry i cant help you here at least the player knows you arent just sitting there ignoring him and also about the 7% thing. Yeah this game is great. Its going to get more popular. The 7% will grow. Even if it stays at the same percent as long as the playerbase grows it will still mean more people are having the problem because 7% of 100 is more than 7% of 10 as anyone who has attended any basic maths class will know. The problem is ridiculously annoying and inconveniant for the player and needs to be solved even if its just 7% which is still quite a high amount of people (Imagine a player base of 10000, yes not very big but still 7% of that is 700 players losing out on a huge part of the game; multiplayer, how is that fair on them just because they are the minority?). Its probably out of your hands but the least you could do is try and help the players suffering this problem in any way you can.

Tl;dr: Get dedicated servers.

I get systems nominal also, But all my friends are offline other than when one of my friends who does port forward is online, i see him. I have no clue how to port forward and have no clue where to find my routers documentation, So..looks like i cant play with friends, Even hamachi doesnt work for me as some say it does

I get systems nominal also, But all my friends are offline other than when one of my friends who does port forward is online, i see him. I have no clue how to port forward and have no clue where to find my routers documentation, So..looks like i cant play with friends, Even hamachi doesnt work for me as some say it does

Just google your routers make followed by what router it is so my one is made by netgear, its a wgr614v9 (i think you can find it somewhere on the router, i think the details of what router mine is are on the bottom of the router). All i need to do to find a S#&$load of detail on how to set it up and such is google "net gear wgr614v9 manual". It doesnt tell you how to port forward in my manual though. Its not hard to port forward at all you can google it and find some pretty good guides but i can tell you all you need to do is get into your router setup. To get into it you must type your ipv4 default gateway into the adress bar of your web browser. If you dont know your default gateway you can go into cmd and type in ipconfig to find out or you could go into your network and sharing center and in the top left corner of the window it should have a blue link saying change adapter settings, double click local area connection or whichever connection you are currently using and in the window that pops up you should click the button that says details. After entering your default ipv4 gateway into the address bar it should ask for a username and password that you should be able to find on the bottom of your router. After you get into router setup you should look for the section that handles port forwarding. When you get there all you need to do is enter the ports that need to be forwarded, for warframes its 3960 and 3962. You just need to enter the port you want to forward in the appropriate box followed by your lan ip which can be found through entering ip config into cmd or going to the network and sharing center back into adaptor settings and you know the rest. Your lan ip will be called Ipv4 address. After that you there should be a drop box for the type of port which you should have the choice of udp or tcp or tcp/udp. Warframe uses the udp ports so select udp. Doing this for both of those ports will open them up so warframe can use them freely, its extremely easy to do. sorry for the long post but im just trying to thoroughly explain this in case you know nothing about router setup.

I hope this helps your problem.

Sigh, it'd be nice to actually play this game, but after 2 hours of trying to connect, I guess it's just not in the cards. Hopefully the devs get a clue and either fix the terrible networking of this game, or even better, get actual servers for the game so we aren't dependant on finding someone we have decent ping with to play the game, you know, when we can connect.

I've spent entire Monday trying to resolve this together with my friend and still nothing. It's all good on his side but mine is broken, still getting the "strict NAT detected" error message. I can see other people and I can occasionaly join a random game or two but even then it takes a long time to find one. Here's what we did:

- updated every single driver that we had on our computers, because hey, maybe it's my sound card blocking it, right?

- updated routers firmware (not that it was outdated)

- verified integrity of game cache (we're both using the steam version of Warframe)

- game was allowed by every single firewall

- we both forwarded UDP ports 3960 and 3962

- we both enabled UPnP on our routers, in Windows and in-game (we also disabled all of them and tried different combinations, for example: router UPnP on, in-game off)

- we tried different regions in-game

- we tried different port combinations (the one that game suggested)

- we tried using hamachi (as a side note, hamachi actually helped me connect to another friend which I also couldn't normaly see online, but not this one)

- we set our routers to DMZ

- we disabled all firewalls

- we prayed

- we wanted to sacrifice a pig, but we ate it

- we cried

I don't know what else we can do. We're constantly looking on the web for a possible solution but with no luck so far.

Warframe is a great game but I fear people with this problem will soon stop playing it because playing it solo quickly becomes, well... boring :/

Please, please, PLEASE fix this!

Note quite a huge majority last I checked. Stats suggest more like 7% I think.

This is like the worst possible answer you can give to a playerbase which wants to give you money.

So, if you like math Glen, lets think about those 7%, hopefully again.

Let's assume, they have at least one person, with which they want to play, and they can't, do you think one of them will stay?

It's not 7% of the _whole_ playerbase which is at stake, its more like a solid 14%, becouse hey, who is interested to play this game forever alone, in other words with some unknown pubbies?

Also, if more people would read this thread, and see that comment of you DE_Glen, they would ask themselves, "are those again such devs, which are giving a damn thing about people which want to play/spend money?"

People are overfed with bad games, bad code and bad support, don't try to get on the same level as the others, you devs did an awesome job so far, so better don't risk it.

Tl:DR: Don't ignore the muthafuken problem.

Ps.:

Just to give you some more speculations; Are your stats also saying, how much money those 7% would spend, or already spent? How much friends would leave, if they can't play with themselves? Etc.

Edit.: Are there any news about devs commenting on those "Nat strict / Friends offline" probs, instead giving some funny advices? Like, "Were on it, let us alone" ?

Editedit: Sacrificing pigs is very cost intensive, we can't do that each day anymore and it doesnt help... Please, for the sake of the pigs and our/your monies, please help us!!!!!111

Edited by calgon

I'd just like to chime in again to say that 'Buy another router' is yet more bad advice.

The NAT or unforwarded ports could exist at the player's ISP (Carrier Grade NAT), so even if a player did buy a new router, it could be a complete waste of money, because the only solution that would actually work, would be to switch to a better ISP.

Edited by polarity

I've spent entire Monday trying to resolve this together with my friend and still nothing. It's all good on his side but mine is broken, still getting the "strict NAT detected" error message. I can see other people and I can occasionaly join a random game or two but even then it takes a long time to find one. Here's what we did:

- updated every single driver that we had on our computers, because hey, maybe it's my sound card blocking it, right?

- updated routers firmware (not that it was outdated)

- verified integrity of game cache (we're both using the steam version of Warframe)

- game was allowed by every single firewall

- we both forwarded UDP ports 3960 and 3962

- we both enabled UPnP on our routers, in Windows and in-game (we also disabled all of them and tried different combinations, for example: router UPnP on, in-game off)

- we tried different regions in-game

- we tried different port combinations (the one that game suggested)

- we tried using hamachi (as a side note, hamachi actually helped me connect to another friend which I also couldn't normaly see online, but not this one)

- we set our routers to DMZ

- we disabled all firewalls

- we prayed

- we wanted to sacrifice a pig, but we ate it

- we cried

I don't know what else we can do. We're constantly looking on the web for a possible solution but with no luck so far.

Warframe is a great game but I fear people with this problem will soon stop playing it because playing it solo quickly becomes, well... boring :/

Please, please, PLEASE fix this!

I'll bet money that if you go into router status and look at the internet port ip address it will be different from your external ip address. For your conveniance i have taken screenshots of mine because i have the same thing.

This is my external IP address: http://imageshack.us/f/254/conv.png/ (half of it is cut off by me)

This is the ip address shown by my router in router status: http://img43.imagesh...3/8346/focz.png (Zoom in on the white area)

My router is connecting to another device which is also acting as a router which means i am practically behind 2 routers, this means i had to get into the 1st router which it was connecting to and port forward to the ip that was being shown by my router status. Then i had to portforward on my 2nd router (the netgear showing the ip) to my lan ip and the ports opened up just fine. This is all fine but the real question is how are you going to get into your first router if this is the problem you are having? For me it was 192.168.0.1 but yours is obviously going to be different. This might not be the problem you are having but if it is atleast i'm pointing you in the right direction. also note that my 1st router that my netgear was connecting to was also acting as my modem. Some modems also act as routers and yours could be doing the same. If this isnt the problem its most likely what polarity said is happening and you'd need to contact your isp. Hell it could even be both of these.

Edit: Like polarity said your router may be connecting to your isp who is also acting as a router you which means you'd have to ask him to forward those ports. If your external IP address matches the one in your router status then port forwarding on the router should work fine and if it isnt its probably broken firmware but this is just what I think. I dont know if this is all 100% accurate.

Edited by TheGrimNinjah

Guys, tried this and worked for me.

Open the ports via forwarding as they say, then DISABLE de UPnP on your pc, but left the UPnP on the game ENABLED.Disable your firewall then reboot your pc. When entering the game dont try the analyze network, it may still say that there is some problem. Just try to log in some internet session or a friend.

I now can join everyone and they are seeing me online as well.

Edited by GarIand

hey guys, I have this problem with Strict NAT too and my ISP not allowing to forward ports. I used Hamachi to connect to my friends, but its lagging a lot. only way is to change my ISP but I just cant do it

then I found this http://www.ntop.org/products/n2n/ as they say it can cross NAT and firewalls, but I really cant understand how it works and even how to install it so I will appreciate if someone explain it and make it work (if its possible)

sorry my engrish, frum RU with love

Well, stas2x, I wouldnt recommend using it. If you set up your supernode in a bad way, it will open your network for the bad guys.

Some lan-pirat-networks are using this to surpass verfications etc. .. It's too risky, for not even a guaranted chance of success.

Lets hope the devs will at least comment this issue before WF will hit 8.0 .. Most of my friends already stopped playing becouse of it :/ ...

just add a freakin /invite command already, why make us do the work.. chat commands work while contacts list doesn't. I can whisper a friend AND play with him as long as we pre-set a map to both join that noone is on. a /invite would fix all this stuff.