Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

also regarding it only being 7% of players effected. how come 80-95% of my contacts are never registered online... YET ARE

Well, what do you want say exactly with that? That only becouse YOU don't see 80-95% of YOUR contacts it does mean, that the playerbase with that issue is similiar high, in other words at 80%+?..

That would be a very egocentric assumption, so ...lets stay constructive.

I like for example the idea of that /invite command you described, could be maybe a good workaround for some.. but not sure how easy that could be implemented.

For now, we can only be patient and wait, its weekend.

Also, please, if you post stuff, try to have everything said in one post, and not spread out on three different ones.

The function you need for this is that very helpful "Edit" box, use it.

Sorry, but UPnP is anything but secure compared to port forwarding. Even if you don't fully understand how either of them work, a quick google for 'upnp security' will give you plenty of hits saying that having UPnP enabled on your router is a major security risk.

In January of this year, at the end of a long research program by an internet security firm, it was disclosed that around 40-50 million devices on the internet are at risk of being compromised due to flaws in the way that UPnP has been implemented on them. This is so severe that the US Department of Homeland Security is now recommending that UPnP be disabled wherever possible.

There are no shortcuts when it comes to security, so you have to choose either security or convenience. Choose to use UPnP and put yourself at risk, or turn it off and learn how port forwarding works.

Also you can run multiple copies of Warframe on one network, you just need to change the settings in each game client to use different pairs of ports, and port forward them in addition to the default pair.

Just wanted to echo ^this here http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

You guys no that everything still works fine when you get that msg pop up when you first start the game.. I have been getting that msg and i login since day 1 of closed beta... Everything still works fine... I have always used voice chat my firends list is always working and i run group missions all the time so whats is the point of that msg? I say disregard that msg.. If you can still play the game then your cool.... I personnel think its a bug...... Keep it mving and have fun.....

You guys no that everything still works fine when you get that msg pop up when you first start the game.. I have been getting that msg and i login since day 1 of closed beta... Everything still works fine... I have always used voice chat my firends list is always working and i run group missions all the time so whats is the point of that msg? I say disregard that msg.. If you can still play the game then your cool.... I personnel think its a bug...... Keep it mving and have fun.....

The problem is some of us can't. Despite having 'all systems nominal' we still can't detect friends online or join up with them like you can.

A suggestion to those having issues:

Try plugging your computer DIRECTLY into the modem. Also try running the program as "admin" (by right clicking on the launcher).

If it works after directly plugging into the modem than the problem is your router. It may be old, have old firmware, may not support UPnP, may not have NAT filtering options.

If this is the problem it's time for a new router. I personally like the higher end d-link (esp with the gigabit ports) as they have a TON of options including application level port forwarding (the ports are forwarded for ALL computers in the house) as well as traditional port forwarding.

Whatever this issue is, if it can be rolled back to the 5th of April, when my buddy up the street and I could last run levels together, that would be great. As it is, my enthusiasm, WHICH IS RICH, will be waning considerably. I really want to be pumped for this game and recommend it to friends and SPEND MONEY ON IT!

they would have to spend quite a bit money on dedicated servers to remove the need for port forwarding and nat issues.

The problem is not "going dedicated", even the "way its supposed to work", like with port forwarding, is just currently not working for everyone as intended.

This is why some people are assuming, after some hours of testing, that its not the hardware / hardware config. which the client is using.

Some people mentioned, that various patches during the march, are causing this.

It would be nice to hear from the devs finally something more solid/accurate on this.

I understand, that you DE, as devs, are of course skeptic about "some funny assumptions", and that your probably right, if you'd say, the majority of people which have those issues, don't even know how to set up their router properly..

Edited by calgon

My experience, three days " all systems nominal" three days later " NAT ERROR YOURE SCREWED" Three days later everything ok again :D, but still not seeing friend list. Regardless of uPnP or manual port forwarding ( tried, nothing changed). This is so old fashion, every game at this time HAS to be on dedicated servers to avoid this stuff, even if port forwarding fixed that problem ( it didn't) it's still something that lot of people can't do, and if soemone is not so much interested in this game, he will unnistal when he finds out he will have to mess up with router settings and so on. As i said, so oldfashion.

Edited by senrimer

A friend of mine is having this issue too. It's mostly fun playing with friends, and he never shows up in my contact list even though we're on the phone and he's definitely online.

Frustrating. Hope the devs jump on this soon.

How u can program a co-op/multiplayer game when 60% of the community needs to change settings in their routers/networks.

I can do EVERYTHING around the www without changing anything, and now u guys come here and tell us to change stuff in our router settings.

What about programming this game in the right way so we dont need to do this stuff?

Not everyone has the knowledge about this and your support doesnt help me at all..

( and i´m pretty good in IT stuff, ports are open/forwarded etc blabla still doesnt work)

This is juts crap and im really really angry about this hole situation with this friendlist and port staff. 

This game is sooo awesome but i don´t understand why there is no fix from the dev´s for this problem serversided.

The Community is growing extremly fast and u can´t expect that 60% that wants to play this game with friends is able to change stuff in their router for 1 single game when the rest of the internet is working 100% fine.

I bet not even half of them know about that portforwarding and stuff, even if there is a info at the start of the game, they just klick ok and wonder why their friendlist doesnt work. And u cant expect that everyone is searching for a solution to fix this problem. Just check the global chat for like 10 minutes, and i bet 100 bucks there are minimum 5 guys asking why the friendlist isn´t working or why they can´t connect to their friends. thats just sad!

Sorry for my bad english i´m from germany, but i hope u guys understand what i wanted to say.

If League of Legends had this Problem at the beginning, there would not be 70million players now.. think about it..

Edited by lolpro.com

Hey guys, I can assure this is still on our radar and we're frustrated by it like you are. We've invested heavily in fixing this and are still having people unable to play.

The truth is, we don't have a publisher, so we have p2p as the only financially feasible way for us to launch this game and launch it globally. So far our stats say its ~7% on strict NAT and I agree with those posting here... that number is too damn high!

I am not making excuses, but certainly we are not alone in having complexity to resolve these issues: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20133372-Port-Forwarding

Some of the posts in this thread seem very angry, which I understand, but right now the same network engineers (and myself) have had to fight server fires so that *anyone* can play and that has consumed our lives for the past week.

When the server upgrades are done, I will get the guys together and see what options we haven't explored yet.

Hey guys, I can assure this is still on our radar and we're frustrated by it like you are. We've invested heavily in fixing this and are still having people unable to play.

The truth is, we don't have a publisher, so we have p2p as the only financially feasible way for us to launch this game and launch it globally. So far our stats say its ~7% on strict NAT and I agree with those posting here... that number is too damn high!

I am not making excuses, but certainly we are not alone in having complexity to resolve these issues: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20133372-Port-Forwarding

Some of the posts in this thread seem very angry, which I understand, but right now the same network engineers (and myself) have had to fight server fires so that *anyone* can play and that has consumed our lives for the past week.

When the server upgrades are done, I will get the guys together and see what options we haven't explored yet.

Well there you have it :P

btw if you have problems with portforwarding or don't really know what to do Check here

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Choose your Router then choose Warframe in the game listings it's very detailed and may help..

there are some problems that just don't work and might be the game itself causing it but are unknown yet

The league link doesn´t work, and League is another thing. They have over 70 million registered accounts and the problem with nat only effects <1% and it´s only because of updating league/getting the latest patches and not playing/connecting/chatting with friends and stuff.

In 3 Years League of legends i NEVER had any issues about my router/netsettings on 4 Accounts. And i NEVER met anyone who had any issues about nat or routersettings in league. In warframe my contactlist and all that stuff doesn´t work. i guess ggwp ff20...

Edited by lolpro.com

The league link doesn´t work, and League is another thing. They have over 70 million registered accounts and the problem with nat only effects <1% and it´s only because of updating league/getting the latest patches and not playing/connecting/chatting with friends and stuff.

You actually can't hit that webpage?

Here are the problems they describe, and I'm not sure where you get 1% from, they are very tight-lipped about NAT ratios.

Common Problems that can be resolved by port forwarding:
  • Inability to connect due to firewall errors.
  • Disconnections after the Victory/Defeat screens.
  • Difficulty joining chat.
  • Difficulty joining custom matches. 
  • Problems with a never-ending Matchmaking Queue or issues when trying to enter Champion Selection.
  • [RARE] Difficulty patching.