Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

You actually can't hit that webpage?

Here are the problems they describe, and I'm not sure where you get 1% from, they are very tight-lipped about NAT ratios.

Common Problems that can be resolved by port forwarding:
  • Inability to connect due to firewall errors.
  • Disconnections after the Victory/Defeat screens.
  • Difficulty joining chat.
  • Difficulty joining custom matches. 
  • Problems with a never-ending Matchmaking Queue or issues when trying to enter Champion Selection.
  • [RARE] Difficulty patching. 

Yea pretty sure 1% is wrong ^_^ I just wanted to say that u can´t compare league to warframe when its about nat issues and contactlist stuff, that´s just a excuse nothing more.

In the last livestream i heard about "contact the support, they will really try to help u they are nice guys etc." and all we got ( me and my friends) are the same S#&$y responses that we get from riot when its about accounttransfer etc. and the funny fact is, your supportside looks almost the same as the league once LOL.

I did all the routersettingsstuff that i found on the steamgroup/webside/supportticket response, STILL doesn´t work.

Don´t understand me wrong english is not my nativ language, That´s no offence at all, i´m just saying that we are getting sick of these "we are working on it" posts.

And i´m sorry if i´m a bit angry to you right now, but you are the first one that really gave me a response about this problem beside of these standart support tickets stuff that we got

I Love this Game, and i´m really thankfull for all the work that u guys put in it.. but first of all you should focus on the basics ( connecting friends together in an co-op/multiplayer game ) 

Edited by lolpro.com

So...question...admin this new update you guys are currently working in the"server upgrade" could it be the solution to these problems?

No, this only affects large number of players unable to play when the servers hit a performance wall and stop letting people login/finish missions/etc. These upgrades have nothing to do with NAT issues.

my friend and i have the same router. both set up the exact same way. he literally lives a block away from me. we both have the same internet provider and have configured our routers for the port forwarding. every once in a while i can see him in my contacts but cannot join him. it tells me he is not in a game session when i know he is. the weird thing is if i have another friend on and he is the host of the room we can both join him. what is the issue here? we have literally done EVERYTHING including calling our internet provider and we still cant connect to each other like we were able to before.

*side note* the game keeps telling him he has a strict NAt type and i don't. which makes no sense as our routers are exact and set up the same.

Edited by blugorilla

Hey guys, I can assure this is still on our radar and we're frustrated by it like you are. We've invested heavily in fixing this and are still having people unable to play.

The truth is, we don't have a publisher, so we have p2p as the only financially feasible way for us to launch this game and launch it globally. So far our stats say its ~7% on strict NAT and I agree with those posting here... that number is too damn high!

I am not making excuses, but certainly we are not alone in having complexity to resolve these issues: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20133372-Port-Forwarding

Some of the posts in this thread seem very angry, which I understand, but right now the same network engineers (and myself) have had to fight server fires so that *anyone* can play and that has consumed our lives for the past week.

When the server upgrades are done, I will get the guys together and see what options we haven't explored yet.

Looks like beeing patient was and is still worth it!

Thanks Steve for your response! Keep up the good work network engineers!

my friend and i have the same router. both set up the exact same way. he literally lives a block away from me. we both have the same internet provider and have configured our routers for the port forwarding. every once in a while i can see him in my contacts but cannot join him. it tells me he is not in a game session when i know he is. the weird thing is if i have another friend on and he is the host of the room we can both join him. what is the issue here? we have literally done EVERYTHING including calling our internet provider and we still cant connect to each other like we were able to before.

*side note* the game keeps telling him he has a strict NAt type and i don't. which makes no sense as our routers are exact and set up the same.

You won't be able to join anyone that has 'strict NAT' warning. Strict NAT prevents you from connected to him. He could connect to you or someone else if they are host. If his setup is identical (which it could be, but man those routers have tons of settings) but perhaps his PC is doing firewalling/antivirus/other things that are making his setup a bit different?

My friend has Strict NAT problem since day1 in game, but it never made any problem to see each other or join our games till last patch /friday or monday not sure/ since than we see each other offline while we are both ingame.

Edited by Sedlo

Try disabling your firewall and antivirus just in case and btw do you two have the same modem? Its likely that you have a modem that also acts as a router so you are essentially behind two routers and would have to configure portforwarding to suit both of them. I made a post earlier in the thread on how I fixed having my modem acting as a router. If you can make the portforwwarding actually work he should be able to connect to you.

Hey guys, I can assure this is still on our radar and we're frustrated by it like you are. We've invested heavily in fixing this and are still having people unable to play.

The truth is, we don't have a publisher, so we have p2p as the only financially feasible way for us to launch this game and launch it globally. So far our stats say its ~7% on strict NAT and I agree with those posting here... that number is too damn high!

I am not making excuses, but certainly we are not alone in having complexity to resolve these issues: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20133372-Port-Forwarding

Some of the posts in this thread seem very angry, which I understand, but right now the same network engineers (and myself) have had to fight server fires so that *anyone* can play and that has consumed our lives for the past week.

When the server upgrades are done, I will get the guys together and see what options we haven't explored yet.

I really hoped that proper way of ports forwarding will fix my problem, but my hopes just collapsed...It still says strict NAT, UPnP malfunctioning, forward ports 3960 and 3962 to ur ip

So what should I do next?...

Disable every single firewall/antivirus one by one until a miracle shall happen?

Besides, while forwarding my ports, I've noticed this...

"To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Try our free PF Setup Static IP Address Program which will setup a static ip address for you. Or you can take alook at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below."

So... maybe thats the problem? I'm not with Bell, Rogers or any other major companies (even tho my connection was set up via Bell's dry-loop), and my ip is dynamic...I'd like to know how many people with strict NAT issue use dynamic/static types of connection...

But thanks for your response, Steve! You gave us a feeling that we're not alone and this disaster wont take forever! :D

Greetings from T.O.

P.S.: sweet mother of mercy... this... forum's stubborn engine makes me edit everytime...

Edited by Rhykh

Just wanted to say that i had and still have this problem too.

I have Fastweb as ISP, opened UDP ports both in their router and in mine (which i use for wi-fi purpouses), firewall is "all open" for Warframe's activities but i'm still having the problem :(

Hope ya guys gonna fix this asap, the game is awesome but i wanna play with my friends!! :(

I've spent entire Monday trying to resolve this together with my friend and still nothing. It's all good on his side but mine is broken, still getting the "strict NAT detected" error message. I can see other people and I can occasionaly join a random game or two but even then it takes a long time to find one. Here's what we did:

- updated every single driver that we had on our computers, because hey, maybe it's my sound card blocking it, right?

- updated routers firmware (not that it was outdated)

- verified integrity of game cache (we're both using the steam version of Warframe)

- game was allowed by every single firewall

- we both forwarded UDP ports 3960 and 3962

- we both enabled UPnP on our routers, in Windows and in-game (we also disabled all of them and tried different combinations, for example: router UPnP on, in-game off)

- we tried different regions in-game

- we tried different port combinations (the one that game suggested)

- we tried using hamachi (as a side note, hamachi actually helped me connect to another friend which I also couldn't normaly see online, but not this one)

- we set our routers to DMZ

- we disabled all firewalls

- we prayed

- we wanted to sacrifice a pig, but we ate it

- we cried

I don't know what else we can do. We're constantly looking on the web for a possible solution but with no luck so far.

Warframe is a great game but I fear people with this problem will soon stop playing it because playing it solo quickly becomes, well... boring :/

Please, please, PLEASE fix this!

I agree with you . Maybe they want give us a prefect game, But it's not fair for those who have same special problem .For me ,I have the "Strict NAT" problem,when I play in my office. So , HELP!!!

I really hoped that proper way of ports forwarding will fix my problem, but my hopes just collapsed...It still says strict NAT, UPnP malfunctioning, forward ports 3960 and 3962 to ur ip So what should I do next?... Disable every single firewall/antivirus one by one until a miracle shall happen? Besides, while forwarding my ports, I've noticed this... "To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Try our free PF Setup Static IP Address Program which will setup a static ip address for you. Or you can take alook at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below." So... maybe thats the problem? I'm not with Bell, Rogers or any other major companies (even tho my connection was set up via Bell's dry-loop), and my ip is dynamic...I'd like to know how many people with strict NAT issue use dynamic/static types of connection... But thanks for your response, Steve! You gave us a feeling that we're not alone and this disaster wont take forever! :D Greetings from T.O. P.S.: sweet mother of mercy... this... forum's stubborn engine makes me edit everytime...

With regards to the static IP, your router is referring to your internal IP (the one likely starting with 192.168.x.x) and not your external or public IP.

The reason you need your internal IP to be static for port forwarding is because otherwise it can change when the computer is restarted. This change can also cause good configurations to stop working when you have successfully used port forwarding.

Consider this:

> Your internal computer IP is 192.168.0.4

> You forward the required ports to 192.168.0.4

> You shutdown or restart your computer and it receives a new IP, such as 192.168.0.3

> Your port forwards are not changed automatically and are still forwarding to the old IP.

> You start receiving the NAT errors again.

Setting your IP to static causes it to use the same one every time so that this doesn't occur.

@Raelus

ok, then how should i make a static connection? there're some specific things needed like subnet mask etc...

im not that IT advanced guy, tho i can do some stuff (i just dont have a certain knowledge on how this things work exactly, same as a majority of this game's users).

the only reason why i haven't tried to adjust a static connection - i dont wanna fck up something and then have no connection to look up on how to fix it lol.

and I've a roommate, if i'll do something wrong - she'll kill me :D.

btw, it says 192.168.2.4, not 0.

im pretty sure it doesn't make any difference anyway :).

P.S.: gosh... why this is so complicated?... why we have to go through all this... i think its time to find a publisher, since the game succeeded more than many 59.99 bucks games

Edited by Rhykh

@Raelus ok, then how should i make a static connection? there're some specific things needed like subnet mask etc... im not that IT advanced guy, tho i can do some stuff (i just dont have a certain knowledge on how this things work exactly, same as a majority of this game's users). the only reason why i haven't tried to adjust a static connection - i dont wanna fck up something and then have no connection to look up on how to fix it lol. and I've a roommate, if i'll do something wrong - she'll kill me :D. btw, it says 192.168.2.4, not 0. im pretty sure it doesn't make any difference anyway :). P.S.: gosh... why this is so complicated?... why we have to go through all this... i think its time to find a publisher, since the game succeeded more than many 59.99 bucks games

Portforward.com has a good tutorial, with pictures, on setting up a static IP for your computer as well as configuring your router to make it work.

A publisher would not necessarily fix this. Blocked ports and port forwarding are not at all a problem unique to Warframe.

I did everything properly, it still isn't working... I really need this to be working.

zCciGsa.png

And yes I did this several times.

Is this a D-Link DIR 615? That's what I have and I'd like to know what the newest firmware is (I hear the site isn't up to date or something) and if I'm port forwarding correctly.

How u can program a co-op/multiplayer game when 60% of the community needs to change settings in their routers/networks.

I can do EVERYTHING around the www without changing anything, and now u guys come here and tell us to change stuff in our router settings.

What about programming this game in the right way so we dont need to do this stuff?

Not everyone has the knowledge about this and your support doesnt help me at all..

( and i´m pretty good in IT stuff, ports are open/forwarded etc blabla still doesnt work)

This is juts crap and im really really angry about this hole situation with this friendlist and port staff. 

This game is sooo awesome but i don´t understand why there is no fix from the dev´s for this problem serversided.

The Community is growing extremly fast and u can´t expect that 60% that wants to play this game with friends is able to change stuff in their router for 1 single game when the rest of the internet is working 100% fine.

I bet not even half of them know about that portforwarding and stuff, even if there is a info at the start of the game, they just klick ok and wonder why their friendlist doesnt work. And u cant expect that everyone is searching for a solution to fix this problem. Just check the global chat for like 10 minutes, and i bet 100 bucks there are minimum 5 guys asking why the friendlist isn´t working or why they can´t connect to their friends. thats just sad!

Sorry for my bad english i´m from germany, but i hope u guys understand what i wanted to say.

If League of Legends had this Problem at the beginning, there would not be 70million players now.. think about it..

thats true ... dota2 free via invitation example ... press play and play ... WTF is this port configuration and i dont really care we just want to play and if game deserv spend all money ... but no this way... your are on bad way just for ignore us ...

and i dont think only 7% with this friends problem ..

Hi all, I'm a network administrator with over 10 years of experience in the IT field. I manage and support enterprise grade firewalls and routers for a living so I'm pretty savvy about this stuff. I run a PFSense router-firewall at home which is pretty close to enterprise grade, but sufficed to say I know how to setup port forwarding and configure firewall rules.

I've done all of that and, despite it all, this game doesn't let me play with *most* of my contacts list. That is about 80% always show up as offline no matter what. I can chat to them via global chat but we can not play together.

The game always comes up with the Strict NAT warning no matter what. I've tried working this with UPnP on and off both at the router and in-game, and I've tried both the primary and alternate set of ports and still get the same result no matter what.

I did file a support ticket and their official response was that even without UPnP as long as you forward ports you should be perfectly fine. UPnP is therefore not a requirement, it just makes life easier for those of us who don't want to do port forwarding. Regardless, UPnP or not UPnP, it makes no difference. The game will simply not let me play with most other players.

I am happy to do some more in-depth packet analysis, I am pretty adept at tracing packets either at the host level or at the router. I just need to  know what to look for.

Part of me has to wonder at their use of UDP traffic instead of TCP, as UDP is connectionless and doesn't maintain a persistent connection state. This makes it more suitable for less critical communications as there's less overhead, but I wonder if the lack of persistence here isn't causing more trouble.

Anyway, I'm happy to test, or verify things if it would prove useful, just let me know what to look for.

Thanks,

Pol

I usually don't post on forums but I thought I would put this up as incentive to the developers to re-prioritize their bug fixes.

I started yesterday with a buddy-- we both enjoyed the experience and he bought plat to support the game.  I was about to sink $50 into WF when my friend ran into previously reported issues joining my group.  We tried all of the tips on these forums and sought help on region chat.  In hindsight, it was silly for us to invest hours trying to figure this out, considering most games don't have issues like this.  I know you devs work very hard already and I know only 7% of your players have this issue, but I am a consumer and I have no incentive to invest my money if such a core feature of the game doesn't function.

I hope these issues are fixed as soon as possible so that you can work on game design.