Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

At least they've directly addressed it with the latest update for a change. You can't expect it to be permenantly fixed, its a caveat of the peer to peer architecture, but at least they're taking steps to try and minimize its effect. 

Its got a whole lot worse for me since the patch.

• 2 weeks later...

So...I just got my modem replaced because the older one broke, then suddenly, I get this Strict NAT error.

Does the modem switching really affect the whole thing? I mean, with my old modem I can play Warframe without problems and i haven't touched any settings on that thing.

Anyone can explain why did this happen all of a sudden? :\

So I have an issue. I used to be able to play with a friend prior U10 where I was host and after coming back and trying to host a game, he will fail to join me everytime like clockwork. All of my other friends can join no prob. Heres the thing though, if he invites me I can join him and we can play. We both have the same settings and ports, I have no idea what the heck is going on. Anyone have any insight? I have put in a ticket before and they said we cant help you. Others having this problem?

So...I just got my modem replaced because the older one broke, then suddenly, I get this Strict NAT error.

Does the modem switching really affect the whole thing? I mean, with my old modem I can play Warframe without problems and i haven't touched any settings on that thing.

Anyone can explain why did this happen all of a sudden? :\

This might be my friends issue, he got a new router around U10.....Why the hell would it be an issue though?

Edited by Sekshunate

For fellow Tenno in the PH (specifically Metro Manila), here are some things you need to consider regarding the popular ISP's and how they affect Warframe:

Sky Cable - port forwarding enabled, no strict NAT

Damn

I wish we had sky cable here where i am (not Metro Mla.) I would gladly sink 2k/mo for the internet plan 1499 and a cable sub.

Strict NAT | Malfunctioning uPnP | Can't Fix This! (The reddit thread for my problem)

bXbi2JF.png

I've been getting this problem for a year with different PCs and routers. It's the only game(of many) that has this problem. As seen in the image above, I portforwarded properly and it still happens with all firewalls/defenders disabled and processes killed. Even with those disabled I put exceptions for Warframe in(32+64), no luck. Also opened all 4 ports Warframe uses in the Firewall. There should be nothing stopping this from working. I don't have a strict NAT either. I've hosted multiple game servers before and have experience with this. I've tried changing the port set in-game and toggling its uPnP(which is still enabled). It seems like this is on the game's end and I just can't fix it. After reading this thread, that appears to be more likely.

It will rarely and randomly not give me the error, but who knows if that's just the game failing to send me the error message. It doesn't last and I get the error message again later in the day or the next day. I assure you nothing I'm running is conflicting with it, it happens with everything closed and processes killed. (Usually just running FireFox + Skype)

Edited by Cpt-Brian

linksys is picky, sometimes using a single entry per port helps. (depends on the program)

it won't hurt anything to use multiple port forwards but i wouldn't unless you need the ports open. (i'd disable the 4950 - 4951)

sorry to hear you're having issues. 

have you tried a different router? or thought about installing ddwrt? (it is compatible, i checked)

edit:

the reason i suggest a different router is that yours might be bucking the kickett. (strange glitches like this are indicative of linksys eating it's own brain)

Edited by xethier

have you tried a different router? or thought about installing ddwrt? (it is compatible, i checked)

edit:

the reason i suggest a different router is that yours might be bucking the kickett. (strange glitches like this are indicative of linksys eating it's own brain)

I've been getting this problem for a year with different PCs and routers. It's the only game(of many) that has this problem.

I've hosted multiple game servers before and have experience with this.

Edited by Cpt-Brian

Seems totally plausible that my ISP would specifically block out Warframe since its release on both port sets and not block any other connection ever.

Just because some people aren't getting the popup, doesn't mean it's not a game bug. DE's netcode isn't exactly known to be well done.

it's very possible that you are getting a bug relating to net-coding. they've just recently fixed one that could relate to your problem. 

it's also equally possible that your isp is using some form of packet shaping that's causing problems.

the reason i asked about routers (even though you've stated you've used multiple) is that (as a person that builds them for a living) commodity routers are the bane of the internet.

installing ddwrt or building your own will offer you a far more granular experience and a way to actually troubleshoot things like this much more accurately.

if you've got the aptitude (and time) go ahead and flash your current router for ddwrt.

if you've got some spare cash, build a atom based small box (~150-200 bucks off newegg if you're careful about costs) and install it with ipfire or monowall or something and use that. (personally, i use ipfire)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions

if you're certain that your systems aren't the problem. (and using multiple different loads / hardware -- as i expect you have from your posting) i'd definitely rule-out the router as a culprit...

it could also be as simple as your modem going out. 

given as this seems to be the case (according to your reddit thread it's intermittent? do i have that right?) then i'd definitely suggest the following diagnostic attempt.

power down all networking gear. (modem, router, switch (if applicable))

unplug pc from network. (or power down)

once everything is powered down, wait 30 seconds.

start up router first.

start up modem second.

power up switch (if applicable)

wait 60 seconds.

start up pc. (or plug back in, might also require using ipconfig /release -- ipconfig /renew in windows command line)

see what happens. if it works. then you can start to troubleshoot individual components if it happens again.

but i'm going to bet that it's either a packet shaping / network management problem that exists with your ISP. or your modem is crapping out.

it could also be (if cable) a section of cable that has had it's insulation stripped. (very common in areas with squirrels or ice) <-- the chances of this affecting just warframe are astronomically low...

that's about all i can think of without more information. sorry for sounding snappy in my previous post, that was my way of requesting additional information not disregarding what you've already given.

Edited by xethier

After forwarding ports on my router to my computer and my roommate's computer, we still haven't been able to join each-others' sessions.

UPnP enabled, disabled, ports forwarded, NAT opened, allowed through firewall, and nothing has worked to resolve this issue.

We can see each other as online, but we cannot send messages through the chat, and when ever we try to join in on a session there is only a "failed to join session" or "player not in a session" message. Invites no longer work either.

Earlier in the year, we had no problems whatsoever joining and playing together, but since U7, it has been impossible to play together.

It was only recently, in U10 that we were even able to see each other online in the contacts window again. I know that work is underway to fix this issue, but DE would likely start earning my forgiveness if they lit a fire under this one... I haven't been able to play with my friend in over 4 months and we are both starting to get fed-up with the whole damned business.

We both love the hell out of this game but it isn't the same when you're stuck playing with a bunch of strangers who just run around shooting at things. We had frame load-outs that complemented each other and made the tow of us together much stronger as a team than just two individuals working towards the same goal... I miss that. :(

After forwarding ports on my router to my computer and my roommate's computer, we still haven't been able to join each-others' sessions.

UPnP enabled, disabled, ports forwarded, NAT opened, allowed through firewall, and nothing has worked to resolve this issue.

We can see each other as online, but we cannot send messages through the chat, and when ever we try to join in on a session there is only a "failed to join session" or "player not in a session" message. Invites no longer work either.

Earlier in the year, we had no problems whatsoever joining and playing together, but since U7, it has been impossible to play together.

It was only recently, in U10 that we were even able to see each other online in the contacts window again. I know that work is underway to fix this issue, but DE would likely start earning my forgiveness if they lit a fire under this one... I haven't been able to play with my friend in over 4 months and we are both starting to get fed-up with the whole damned business.

We both love the hell out of this game but it isn't the same when you're stuck playing with a bunch of strangers who just run around shooting at things. We had frame load-outs that complemented each other and made the tow of us together much stronger as a team than just two individuals working towards the same goal... I miss that. :(

i'm assuming that you've done this but..

just for the possibility that you don't know.

you have made sure that you and your roommate are forwarding different port ranges right?

3960 - 3962 for one pc

4950 - 4951 for the other, and have warframe set to the associated port range for each pc in the network that wants to connect and have everything working properly.

that's about the only thing i can think of that you've not mentioned.

i'm assuming that you've done this but..

just for the possibility that you don't know.

you have made sure that you and your roommate are forwarding different port ranges right?

3960 - 3962 for one pc

4950 - 4951 for the other, and have warframe set to the associated port range for each pc in the network that wants to connect and have everything working properly.

that's about the only thing i can think of that you've not mentioned.

You're right, I didn't mention that.

I think I did try that, but to be certain I went over it again... we'll see if it works next time my roommate gets back.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

snip

sounds like you tried everything possible, i had a similiar problem until now (UPnP disabled) and it would not allow me to join any session, i just found in the depts of some old steam/reddit thread a post suggesting to use a VPN software (i used http://www.hotspotshield.com/, it spams ads a lot but is free and seems to allow me to play warframe just fine) and it actually seems to have succeded where port forwarding and other things failed even though im not quite sure that the VPN part of the software is what's fixing warframe as it runs way too smoothly for it to be true vpn but whatever, only thing is that i found is that it makes a weird echo effect on whisper chat where whatever you type gets repeated by someone/something with your username_1.

imo you should give it a shot if you have already tried everything else

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the 'Strict NAT' issues as well. I can join cames just fine, even play online with people, yet when I try to join a match I 'Cannot join game' nor can I invite people to a party. The loophole I found is I can invite Clan members while already in a room and running a mission. DE any feedback?

-correction- That fix only worked once and since then I've not been able to join games with friends, nor invite them to games. They'll be in a game and when I select 'join session' The service says 'Friend isn't in a game'....I'm at a loss!

Edited by Charraendor