Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

please don't do this. don't support companies that make crappy hardware. if you're going to buy a new router don't cheap out.

get something decent. or better yet, build one yourself or have it built by a professional. (i know plenty of linux hobbyists that will do this for free or a very small fee)

That is if you find one, but i mean normal user have no need for a very expensive one right? 

As long Port forwarding ,Upnp settings, QOS and Wireless works, this should be good enough. And i found a 14 -24 euro cisco router with Gigabit transfer ratio at store today (didn't buy it yet) and i don't think cisco company makes crappy hardware.. -.-

Also how many normal users you think actually know someone who can built a costume build router?... 

That is if you find one, but i mean normal user have no need for a very expensive one right? 

As long Port forwarding ,Upnp settings, QOS and Wireless works, this should be good enough. And i found a 14 -24 euro cisco router with Gigabit transfer ratio at store today (didn't buy it yet) and i don't think cisco company makes crappy hardware.. -.-

Also how many normal users you think actually know someone who can built a costume build router?... 

sure, but for how long?

inexpensive does not always equate to cheap. (your cisco example is a good exclusion)

additionally you have all the information coming out about how commodity routers are backdoored or have security flaws one could drive a 747 through. and once that hole is known, eventually it will be exploited.

you can build a router out of brand new hardware for ~150 dollars. and have complete control of it.

or you could just as easily retask an old pc to do the job.

if you're on a budget, sure. go with a new commodity router. but if you want real control, functionality, security and flexibility, build your own.

i've even had a few friends that know next to nothing about building pcs that muddled through it just fine by themselves and a good FAQ.

and to anybody reading this that is interesting in doing this. send me a private message on the forums and i'll be happy to detail the process and give you a few places to get started.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have the same problem. 2/3 days ago I change my router (not subscription, just the modem, I have fastweb and before I have fastweb instead) btw, I gain this issue, I try again and again to resolve it..but that message always pop up..I'm tired I'm trying to fix this issue from 2 hours and anything happened..I can't play warframe.. some tips..?

tmacigt's post above (14 july @ 5:43pm) details the process nicely.

if you've tried all that and you are still having trouble. post here again with as much detail about your router / network topography / pc setup as possible.

I have tried everything. I have searched for days about how to get my NAT to change from strict to open and I still haven't found a solution. I have UPnP enabled on both my router and Warframe. I have tried to port forward and enable DMZ. I honestly don't know what to do please help

Edited by gamerdude305

I have tried everything. I have searched for days about how to get my NAT to change from strict to open and I still haven't found a solution. I have UPnP enabled on both my router and Warframe. I have tried to port forward and enable DMZ. I honestly don't know what to do please help

assuming you can log into your router. (i gather you can from your post) check to see what the IP address listed is.

go to whatismyip.com and see if your router's WAN ip matches what that site says you are.

if they're not the same, then you are being screwed over by your ISP.

if they are the same, then it's a configuration problem in your router / more subtle blocking by your isp / software on your pc.

Hello 
I Have problem with ports,  i have "please ensure your firewall text" But what's weird is  that i can play online when i change port that i've never used before, and it's work perfect for 2/3 hours then it's CLOSED and i can't use it anymore. sometime it stop working during mission. Upnp is enabled, i even see my port are forwarded in router site (http://iv.pl/images/...80034595813.png), tried play with windows firewall turned off- still can't play. I tried to run as admin, reinstal, change ports, port forward maually (not UpnP) . Please someone help me.

Sorry about my english. 

I don't get it, yestarday works warframe fine and today i get UDP message... i'm not using any router, i have changed UPnP settings and ports, but still the same issue... i'm in college so i just plug my LAN and everything works, except warframe. Sometimes i got DNS lookup failed but after restart pc warframe works. Does anybody know what is wrong? (Today is Saturday and i really doubt that someone changed anything in college firewall policy.) 

Edited by Niva_v_kopirce

Hrm. Been playing since closed beta, and I had set up a static IP and forwarded the ports in my router about a year ago, though strict NAT wasn't the issue I was having with matchmaking back then, The network anaylisis function never said anything besides my network was working correctly. UPnP worked but I there was some iffy MM and could only connect to about 50% of the people in my clan so we just juggled the host so we all could play together to get around it, However this morning WF all of a sudden is telling me "please ensure that your firewall permits udp ports 3960 and 3962"

i do remember disabling my router firewall and antiviruses back a year ago and it solved nothing of the issue then. Will try again shortly but I get the feeling the issue isnt going to be solved..

As of today I also have this UDP Problem. I even hooked my modem directly onto my pc and disabled my firewall without any success. Reading some of the posts here I suspect the problem is not on my (our) end. I have been able to play perfectly well for over 2 weeks until this morning

• 4 weeks later...

I've had strict nat for over a year, and it's really driving me insane,

What the hell am I supposed to do? Port forwading does absolutely nothing.

lol i also gave up, the new nat pmp doesnt do anything too, 

moreso, there are UI glitches that seem to be connected to the matchmaking or networking errors(like connecting to a game but its all blackscreen and solomode doesnt proceed to mission, it keeps searching for squads.)

this is insane XD

• 2 weeks later...

I return to this thread simply because I posted here sometime ago and everything I had said before still stands. Forwarding the ports doesn't work. I will outline quickly what I've done so that if there is a mistake on my part someone will correct me.

Firstly my router assigns a static IP to my desktop 192.168.1.61

according to this linke:

https://www.warframe.com/cannotuseorchangeupnp

I have forwarded the new UDP ports 4950 and 4955 as well as the TCP ports 6695-6699

I then went into my windows firewall settings and created inbound rules for warframe (it created outbound rules on its own and they seem okay). Actually upon double checking it created its own inbound rules as well in addition to my existing ones. The warframe created rulse are a little annoying in that they open all ports for warframe but fine whatever. In addition I went to the advanced tab and enabled "edge traversal" (allow edge traversal).

Still nothing, still it tells me to open said UDP ports and for whatever reason does not mention the TCP ones unless you visit the website. In addition by default warframe does not open the TCP ports for itself just the UDP ones.

Please find a way to fix this issue, I can not group with most of my clan mates.

I have a roomate and we are behind the same connection/router and can play together no problem despite us both getting these error messages that the ports aren't open.

that should be impossible. i can only think of 3 scenarios which make sense:

- warframe actively checks the lan for other instances, and establishes local connections circumventing the router. ( the guys writing the network code must be godlike )

- matchmaking gives you your local IPs instead of your public IP. ( i have no idea why the matchmaking server would get your local IP )

- warframe uses an encryption system which checks the IP of client and server. ( most encryption systems outright deny a connection when they detect a false ip. home user encryptions like ssl (https, ssh, ...) allow the client to fake his ip (NAT). since you both are in the same lan, you are fully visible to each other. )

that should be impossible. i can only think of 3 scenarios which make sense:...

Yes and that's the thing it's happening. My ports are properly forwarded therefore I believe there is some bug in the network code that it doesn't recognize this factor.

70% of the time I still get "Failed to join session" when being invited or inviting other people. It's really frustrating.

After four hours of nonstop, NAT hounding. I finally managed to forward my ports. I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how since there was a perverbial laberynth of navigating around my computer, internet and router settings, but I'll post here what I did.

Step 1. I disabled UPnP on both of my routers.

Step 2. I made a static IP adress for my computer

Step 3. I forwarded ports 80, 443, 3960, 3962, 4950 and 4955 on both of my routers with a UDP setting.

- When I did this I made 6 forwards per router. So for the two port input fields I input the same port twice.

Example: [ 3950 ] - [ 3950 ] NOT [ 3950 ] - [ 3955 ]

Step 4. I reconstructed my face after it exploded from the realization my ports finally forwarded after four hours of trying to get them to forward.

The tools and guides I used can be found here:

- http://portforward.com

To get started click this link http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and locate "Warframe" on the list.

Yes and that's the thing it's happening. My ports are properly forwarded therefore I believe there is some bug in the network code that it doesn't recognize this factor.

70% of the time I still get "Failed to join session" when being invited or inviting other people. It's really frustrating.

in most cases, the router is forwarding the ports as TCP and not UDP.

some routers don't even offer the option of setting the port forward type and default to TCP only. or TCP/UDP which doesn't always work.