Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

Can I be perfectly honest here for a second?  Given the fact that I own over a hundred online capable games that don't require me to forward any ports I'm pretty sure that this problem is squarely DEs fault and they should get on fixing it.

This UPnP thing has cropped up a few times in my Warframe game, but then the game works just fine nonetheless  and the next time I start the game its gone again. 

Fix found for me.  The port forwarding was the key but as I think someone mentioned some modems from your isp can act as a router.  So i checked its settings and sure enough it had port forwarding.  I entered the 2 UDP entries and saved and no more NAT problem.  I do have them forwarded for my router also and I did a firmware update for the router.

Hope it works for others to check the modem too.

Perhaps I should add upnp in windows is off and well as the router.  As soon as I had the ports forwarded on the router AND modem it picked right up.  UPnP is ONLY enabled in game.

Edited by Amzen

1. looks like no one work to fix this .... sad

2. firmware update ? ... firmware regular change the design or add little option to admin router page thats all

3. i try all port forward , UPnP active reboot modem .. close firewall close all protection nothing work for me my friends online on steam offline on warframe O.o

Can I be perfectly honest here for a second?  Given the fact that I own over a hundred online capable games that don't require me to forward any ports I'm pretty sure that this problem is squarely DEs fault and they should get on fixing it.

This UPnP thing has cropped up a few times in my Warframe game, but then the game works just fine nonetheless  and the next time I start the game its gone again. 

You own 100 online games, and none of them use peer-to-peer networking?  That's kinda hard to believe.

CoD:BO2, Borderlands 1 & 2 and Torchlight 2 are all pretty popular games that all the same "problem."  OTOH, if you own and have played any of these titles, and they work just fine whereas Warframe doesn't, then, yeah, DE has a problem.

To be honest I played another game some time ago with same system of connect (where one of mates hosts the match) I speak about call of duty modern warfare 2 (not original, from alterIWnet), the server has been shut down by ACTA and SOPA in february 2012.

And there was same problem connection and all the stuff. Maybe you should create an tool which checks your firewall, your router and all things which are needed for us.

Just to reiterate.  For me.   Ports forwarded BOTH in router AND modem.  Upnp disabled in the router and windows but enabled in game.  The error and contact list problems have gone away,

how to disasble Upnp on windows ? i can access to modem but no router ...

I forwarded ports for myself and the wife (yes the different sets of ports for each of us) Turned off uPnP in-game, and restarted with no change. Still Strict NAT. I'm almost sure now that it's not on my side because my ATT modem is just that...a modem. There's nothing to mess with in the configuration that has to do with ports or UPnP.

No idea what else to try if that doesn't work. Is there anyone with a D-Link 615 router that does not have NAT issues? If so I know it's not my router.

I forwarded ports for myself and the wife (yes the different sets of ports for each of us) Turned off uPnP in-game, and restarted with no change. Still Strict NAT. I'm almost sure now that it's not on my side because my ATT modem is just that...a modem. There's nothing to mess with in the configuration that has to do with ports or UPnP.

No idea what else to try if that doesn't work. Is there anyone with a D-Link 615 router that does not have NAT issues? If so I know it's not my router.

Try going to www.portforward.com and follow the instructions for your router and let me know how that works.

Also, in your router options there should be a section on NAT, make sure that it is not set to "strict".

Getting real sick of this bullS#&$. I have disable upnp in the game, on my modem/router, and in windows, did the damn port forwarding, only have 1 pc running the game on my network, and STILL this damn error will not go away! And don't even suggest going to portfaoward.com!

I went there, and downloading their "staticip" program, ended up with a load of toolbars and spamware instead. Seems to me DE needs to figure a better way of handling its matchmaking if this many people are having so much trouble getting the damn game to work right. I was planning on getting a 50 dollar founders pack next week too, guess i'll put that money to beeter use since the game won't even work for me.

I went there, and downloading their "staticip" program, ended up with a load of toolbars and spamware instead. Seems to me DE needs to figure a better way of handling its matchmaking if this many people are having so much trouble getting the damn game to work right. I was planning on getting a 50 dollar founders pack next week too, guess i'll put that money to beeter use since the game won't even work for me.

I don't think anyone suggested installing their software. They have step-by-step guides with pictures for all versions of Windows right next to the software option.

Also, more information about your particular setup will help you get help.

Home connection I assume? Cable or DSL? Or something less common? Who is the ISP?

Do you have a combined modem / router or two separate devices?

If two devices, does the modem have more than one ethernet jack? What's the router model?

Reasons for needing this information:

> Modems with multiple ethernet jacks typically do NAT themselves. If you have a router as well, you have what's called a Double NAT, which is bad. You'll have to forward ports on both. This may cause other problems as well.

> If the network isn't your home network, a corporate or university firewall is probably blocking you.

> If your router is a <~$35 bottom of the line model, it isn't uncommon to see those units have shoddy implementations of NAT and uPNP. In short, cheap router = connection issues (exceptions apply). In my experience, this goes double for D-Link and Belkin brand units.

> For less common connections (e.g., cellular, tethered, 3G/4G, satellite) carrier restrictions and filtering are common to block "server" services. List your equipment model and carrier and we might see a pattern.

TL;DR: "It doesn't work!" doesn't help anyone help you. Say what you have, how it's connected, and what you've done.

Also remember, it's your computer/modem/router/connection that isn't cooperating with others. Not to say that the game code is perfect but if you're getting the NAT errors its very very likely it is some piece of equipment or software that you have. Help us help you find out what is causing it.

Here's what's really strange about it for me. All of my friends/clanmates are offline, except for maybe 2 or 3. Always the same few people that show up as being online. I know other people on my lists are online because i'm talking to them on teamspeak. I also only show as online to those same people. They are able to join my games/lobby but the friends who don't see me as online can't join, even by joining my friends that are seeing me as online.

Runnign a windows 7 gateway pc. I have Century Link(Qwest) for my internet provider. My modem has 4 ethernet jacks. I have no router so i'm assuming that the modem is a modem/router combo. Model is ZyXel PK5000Z. I have reset the modem, rebooted it from the config page, even tried updating the firmware but it is up to date. Restarted my pc, still didn't resolve the issue. I have the default ports set and have done the port forwarding using the modems config page. I have upnp enabled in windows, in the game and on the modem. I have also tried turning it off on all of those things, neither worked. The only firewall on my network is my windows firewall, and I wave warframe allowed on it. I have spent pretty much the entire day trying to get this problem worked out. What makes it worse is this happened to me last week as well, but somehow it went away. I can't remember how I managed to fix it, it seems that it was the port forwarding that fixed it but that now isn't helping anymore.

One more thing that may be of importance. My internet connection tends to die on me randomly for no reason. After about 5 minutes it comes back and works fine. Well this happened early this morning, while I was playing warframe. It said there was a host migration and then kinda froze. I closed out and saw my connection had done it's normal "die and come back in a bit" thing. As soon as my connection was working again I relaunched the game and logged in, to the strict NAT pop up of doom.

They are able to join my games/lobby but the friends who don't see me as online can't join, even by joining my friends that are seeing me as online.

Are you hosting or is one of the friends that you see online hosting? It would make sense if the people you can't see as "online" can't join your session, even by joining one of your online friends, if they can't connect to you since you're hosting. Try having one of your "online" friends host.

Also, these people that you always see as offline, do they have the Strict NAT warning? Also, are they geographically close to you and/or have the same ISP?

What makes it worse is this happened to me last week as well, but somehow it went away. I can't remember how I managed to fix it, it seems that it was the port forwarding that fixed it but that now isn't helping anymore.

Is your computer (not the modem) configured with a static IP? If not, make sure the port forwards are still forwarding to the correct IP address.

I closed out and saw my connection had done it's normal "die and come back in a bit" thing. As soon as my connection was working again I relaunched the game and logged in, to the strict NAT pop up of doom.

I'm confused. Do you always see Strict NAT or is this unusual that you're seeing it after the connection drop?

Are you hosting or is one of the friends that you see online hosting? It would make sense if the people you can't see as "online" can't join your session, even by joining one of your online friends, if they can't connect to you since you're hosting. Try having one of your "online" friends host.

Also, these people that you always see as offline, do they have the Strict NAT warning? Also, are they geographically close to you and/or have the same ISP?

Is your computer (not the modem) configured with a static IP? If not, make sure the port forwards are still forwarding to the correct IP address.

I'm confused. Do you always see Strict NAT or is this unusual that you're seeing it after the connection drop?

I do not have a static IP. The IP displayed in the pop up is the same as the one I have in the port forwarding. These people that I always see as online even with the error, They do not live near to me.  As for having the same ISP, i'm not sure. They don't have the strict NAT message. Whether I am hosting or a friend that is online for me is hosting does not matter. I can only join the session if the host is online for me, and only those online for me are able to join when I host. I have only had the strict Nat problem twice, both times being after a short loss of internet service.
Edited by ZanderWild

I've been playing since early this year, in the closed beta, everything network/friends related was working fine back then. Problems began along with open beta. I can see the region chat and play with randoms just fine, but my friend list shows everyone either offline or pending, even though I know they're playing. I have not bought any new hardware, changed ISPs or such since closed beta.

I am not getting any NAT errors in game, analyze network tells me "all systems nominal". I'm connected to my router (Cisco EPC3825) via ethernet. My PC is the only device connected to it.

I've tried:

- enabling/disabling UPnP on router and ingame

- Set static IP address

- Forwarded ports 3960, 3962, 4950 and 4951

- Disabled DMZ

- Disabled windows firewall

- Disabled MSE (but set Warframe application as exception)

I also called my ISP, who verified that my router firmware should be up to date and there shouldn't be anything blocking ports in their end. They couldn't think of further advice on top of what I tried.

I chipped in to the founder program already in the closed beta and get super hyped up of updates, but not being able to play with my friends or in clan kinda bums me out.

edit. forgot one issue: when trying to play the program as administrator, I'm unable to launch it. The game gets stuck on launcher, says it's unable to update.

Edited by Eminenssi

These people that I always see as online even with the error, They do not live near to me. 

What about the ones that show offline - the ones you cannot connect to?

Whether I am hosting or a friend that is online for me is hosting does not matter. I can only join the session if the host is online for me, and only those online for me are able to join when I host.

This is logical. When one of your online friends hosts, can the people who are offline to you join his/her session?

For example, say you are player A, the friend who is "online" is player B, and the friend who is "offline" is player C.

When you host, A can connect to B but not to C. Same as when C hosts.

What happens when B is the host? Presumably B can see both A and C as online even if A and C cannot see each other.

I have only had the strict Nat problem twice, both times being after a short loss of internet service.

So, the Strict NAT warning appears only after a connection drop but even without the warning you always have connection issues to specific people?

I've been playing since early this year, in the closed beta, everything network/friends related was working fine back then. Problems began along with open beta. I can see the region chat and play with randoms just fine, but my friend list shows everyone either offline or pending, even though I know they're playing. I have not bought any new hardware, changed ISPs or such since closed beta.

I am not getting any NAT errors in game, analyze network tells me "all systems nominal". I'm connected to my router (Cisco EPC3825) via ethernet. My PC is the only device connected to it.

When playing randoms are you hosting sometimes or always a client?

Do your friends receive the Strict NAT errors?

The friends showing as pending haven't accepted your invite. Poke them to do so.

If they have, try deleting and readding them.

Yes those who do not show as online to me are able to join with those that are online to me. None of my friends have had the NAT errors, and none of them live near me. No I only have issues connecting with my friends when I have the NAT error. By "always" I meant Always when I have the error.

Yes those who do not show as online to me are able to join with those that are online to me. None of my friends have had the NAT errors, and none of them live near me. No I only have issues connecting with my friends when I have the NAT error. By "always" I meant Always when I have the error.

So then, if I understand, the connection problems that you are having occur only around or after the internet connection drops and restores itself. However, under normal circumstances you do not receive the NAT warning and you are able to connect to and play with your friends.

From the sounds of it, your connection drops frequently. It's very possible what whatever is causing your connection to drop is also causing you temporary connectivity problems prior to or after the drop. This may be the link stabilizing itself or may be the effects of a poor connection strength. Just for curiosity - does it restabilize itself after a few minutes or does a drop result in hours of not being able to connect to friends?

Either way, I would start talking with the ISP about the connection issues. You will likely find that resolving those fixes your in-game woes.