Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

When playing randoms are you hosting sometimes or always a client?

Do your friends receive the Strict NAT errors?

The friends showing as pending haven't accepted your invite. Poke them to do so.

If they have, try deleting and readding them.

With randoms it varies, sometimes I'm the host and sometimes I join, but this is not my issue. Playing with randoms works just fine.

Problem is friend list. When I was playing closed beta, I had no issues. I had several friends online and I was able to invite and join games. Trust me, it's not a case of them not being there. Some may not have accepted my friend request, granted, but not a single one of my friends see me online, or vice versa, right now.

With randoms it varies, sometimes I'm the host and sometimes I join, but this is not my issue. Playing with randoms works just fine.

Problem is friend list. When I was playing closed beta, I had no issues. I had several friends online and I was able to invite and join games. Trust me, it's not a case of them not being there. Some may not have accepted my friend request, granted, but not a single one of my friends see me online, or vice versa, right now.

If you're able to host at all it shows that inbound connections are good - meaning I wouldn't be worrying about the firewall or ports.

Have you tried deleting friends and readding them? If it's limited only to the friends list display it's an issue separate from NAT.

If you're able to host at all it shows that inbound connections are good - meaning I wouldn't be worrying about the firewall or ports.

Have you tried deleting friends and readding them? If it's limited only to the friends list display it's an issue separate from NAT.

Right, you may be onto something there. I guess I automatically assumed the issue was with the NAT because it showed always in searches regarding friend list issues. Continuing investigation.

So then, if I understand, the connection problems that you are having occur only around or after the internet connection drops and restores itself. However, under normal circumstances you do not receive the NAT warning and you are able to connect to and play with your friends.

From the sounds of it, your connection drops frequently. It's very possible what whatever is causing your connection to drop is also causing you temporary connectivity problems prior to or after the drop. This may be the link stabilizing itself or may be the effects of a poor connection strength. Just for curiosity - does it restabilize itself after a few minutes or does a drop result in hours of not being able to connect to friends?

Either way, I would start talking with the ISP about the connection issues. You will likely find that resolving those fixes your in-game woes.

Normally after my connection is back i'm able to connect to friends. I guess i'll put a call in to my ISP tomorrow.

Lots of founders with same problem is this post and no admin show face to send some help

i make all read all TRY ALL i give up on this hope someday fix cause no other game make this to me never

well that suck for me,

actually as i can agree that without publisher a dedicated server is nearly impossible to obtain,a bad netcode  on a p2p is even worse for a game that is still on open beta and that want to survive more than few month,main problem actually is that the "random user" community on the internet got a lot of similar game that can try instead of warframe and quite all of them work by just installing them.

I really like the game,but there is no way il will keep playing more than 1 month if i cant play with the 70% of my friend cause of this S#&$ nat and same for them.

Warframe is having rigth now an huge wave of new user(steam release helped a lot) but probably 30% of them where unable to play and uninstalled and 50% of the remaining other probably quitted after some week due to problem like bad host,nat problem,random disconnection from host with the lost of all progress on the mission.

I really like that game and want to spend some money on it(anyway the cost of platinum is TOO DAMN HIGH cit.) but till that game will not have some good dedicated server i (and other like me that are probably more than a 7% ) will not invest on it

obviously ihmo but i'm kinda sure sooooooooo much people think like me

Erafox and Sharez,

If you are looking for help with NAT errors you'll need to post some details about your connection and equipment. "It doesn't work" doesn't help anyone help you.

What type of internet connection? Who is the ISP?
Separate modem / router or one unit? What's the model numbers?
What errors are you receiving in game? Be specific, quote the error. Is it every time or sometimes?
Can you only not host or are you unable to connect to any games hosted by other people?

In case you are wondering why you're having problems, understand that Warframe is a peer-to-peer game. Much like when you run your favorite torrent application, people have to be able to connect to you. If your router isn't directing incoming connections correctly (poorly configured, malfunctioning, or just a cheap unit) it will affect your game play and limit you to only outgoing connections (e.g., unable to be the host). Sometimes it can be fixed or adjusted but you have to cough up some details.

Day 2 of my strict NAT problems. I have port forwarded at least 10 times now, rebooted the modem and pc many times, Turned upnp on, turned it off, set up a static ip and still I get the strict NAT error. I called my ISP, they told me everything should be working fine and don't think they can do anything to help me at this point. I'm starting to lose hope here. I have done everything anyone has suggested and yet nothing has fixed this issue. I love this game but it's starting to look like i'll have to quit playing now.

Day 2 of my strict NAT problems. I have port forwarded at least 10 times now, rebooted the modem and pc many times, Turned upnp on, turned it off, set up a static ip and still I get the strict NAT error. I called my ISP, they told me everything should be working fine and don't think they can do anything to help me at this point. I'm starting to lose hope here. I have done everything anyone has suggested and yet nothing has fixed this issue. I love this game but it's starting to look like i'll have to quit playing now.

If you tell your ISP that you're having a problem with something they don't have direct control over, like telling them Warframe isn't working, they're going to pass you off to support for that particular software. They need to deal with your connection drops which are their responsibility.

Your ISP can't help you with Warframe specifically. Warframe support and us on the forums cannot help you with your internet dropping. Both need to be handled by their respective parties.

Since you've told me that your games work well except for when your connection drops I think you've already found the source of your problem - the connection drops. Call the ISP back. Tell them that your internet keeps disconnecting and have them look in to that. Once the connection is stable, then you can properly diagnose Warframe if it is still a problem. The underlying connection has to be stable first.

Think of it this way. Imagine your car wont start. You're pretty sure something's wrong with the engine. The car is also out of gas. Can you test if adjustments to the engine have any impact if you don't put gas in the car? Same idea to your connection problems - you can't test if adjustments to your router are helping if the connection itself doesn't work right.

I called them again and explained my issues with the connection dropping. Tech guy seems to think my modem has gone bad and ordered me a replacement. I won't get it until the 8th so I guess there's not much else I can do until then. Thanks for the help. i'll be back after the new modem is hooked up to let you know if it fixes my problems.

I called them again and explained my issues with the connection dropping. Tech guy seems to think my modem has gone bad and ordered me a replacement. I won't get it until the 8th so I guess there's not much else I can do until then. Thanks for the help. i'll be back after the new modem is hooked up to let you know if it fixes my problems.

Glad to hear that they are taking action on the issue and hopefully the new modem fixes it.

Erafox and Sharez,

If you are looking for help with NAT errors you'll need to post some details about your connection and equipment. "It doesn't work" doesn't help anyone help you.

What errors are you receiving in game? Be specific, quote the error. Is it every time or sometimes?

Can you only not host or are you unable to connect to any games hosted by other people?

In case you are wondering why you're having problems, understand that Warframe is a peer-to-peer game. Much like when you run your favorite torrent application, people have to be able to connect to you. If your router isn't directing incoming connections correctly (poorly configured, malfunctioning, or just a cheap unit) it will affect your game play and limit you to only outgoing connections (e.g., unable to be the host). Sometimes it can be fixed or adjusted but you have to cough up some details.

the internet connection is a normal asdl with 7mb download and 0.4 mb upload(i know it suck but here on italy we are like africa with the internet speed) and TELECOM as isp

I've got the error of strict nat everytime i log in,even if i use the autoport forwarding/manually forward/change the port/open all the firewall(pc and router) and if i try to connect with wifi or directly to the router.

The strange thing is that even if i get that strict nat problem i am ABLE to join/host/follow friend(at least some like the 30% of my friend) and i didnt got any strange problem with my connection,the only problem that sometimes i got is that when i try to join an istance wich is showed that got at least 1 squad already doing(the 1/ 2 mark near planet) when i click on it the mark disappear

oh the router is a belkin f6d4630 4v1 with the firmware upgrade.

Anyway i'm not searching for some problem resolving,i'm just saying my opinion about how on 2013 a p2p connection game based will probably fail(sadly cause i really like warframe)

And I have found that Strict NAT message shows up at random. It is working most of the times, but sometimes even after few games it pops up. And only way to get rid of it is to restart router.

And I have found that Strict NAT message shows up at random. It is working most of the times, but sometimes even after few games it pops up. And only way to get rid of it is to restart router.

Strict NAT shouldn't show up at random with functional equipment. Inbound ports either work or they don't; there is nothing random about it. The notion that restarting the router resolves the problem, if even for a short time, is pretty indicative of the source of the problem.

I would suggest performing a factory restore of the router to clear its configuration. Also check if any firmware updates are available for your particular model from the manufacturer. Failing both of those, there is very likely a malfunctioning software component in the router and an upgrade may be necessary.

Just finished setting up the new modem. Logged into the game and no strict NAT message box! Apparently I had a bad modem, really bad. The reason my connection randomly died(and it seems my NAT issues as well) was the modem deciding to reboot for no reason. The new one seems to be working properly but only time will tell. Thanks to all here for the help, and to those still having problems, hang in there! It's frustrating to try so many things and have them all fail but hopefully something will end up working for you.

Just finished setting up the new modem. Logged into the game and no strict NAT message box! Apparently I had a bad modem, really bad. The reason my connection randomly died(and it seems my NAT issues as well) was the modem deciding to reboot for no reason. The new one seems to be working properly but only time will tell. Thanks to all here for the help, and to those still having problems, hang in there! It's frustrating to try so many things and have them all fail but hopefully something will end up working for you.

Awesome news to hear! Thanks for coming back to confirm your fix.

Perhaps our paths will cross aboard a dimly lit Corpus vessel in the wake of my Overload. <grin>

I have found that all my friends that live in the same country as me cannot connect to me or I to them. However all my friends who are not in my country can easily connect with me and I to them.

If my friends who are outside of my country host a game, then we can all join the same game (including the ones i couldnt play with previously).

I have tried port forwarding right through to dropping my computer in DMZ (which put a virus on my media player right away FFS). I still have Strict NAT messages.

I am just supprised it is being rather picky about which country my friends are in.

Also i can have more than 2 people playing on my side of the router and i can take my computer to my friends houses and do the same and enjoy a good game, but as soon as we try to connect to each other 1 house away it becomes Strict NAT.

I have found that all my friends that live in the same country as me cannot connect to me or I to them. However all my friends who are not in my country can easily connect with me and I to them.

If my friends who are outside of my country host a game, then we can all join the same game (including the ones i couldnt play with previously).

Proximity to other players rarely has an inverse affect on connectivity. It can happen that two people with the same ISP can't connect to each other, but is rare. If you do have the same ISP and none of you have Strict NAT, try performing a ping test to each other. I've heard of some ISPs that are very lazy about blocking common ports and just drop all traffic between their customers. Again, rare and probably not the issue here.

I have tried port forwarding right through to dropping my computer in DMZ (which put a virus on my media player right away FFS). I still have Strict NAT messages.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it again. DMZ is universally bad. It has a very specialized purpose and gaming is not it. For anyone else who hasn't tried it yet, don't.

If you're looking for help with the Strict NAT messages we might be able to assist. We'll need a few details about your connection and equipment, however. Let's start with these:

Proximity to other players rarely has an inverse affect on connectivity. It can happen that two people with the same ISP can't connect to each other, but is rare. If you do have the same ISP and none of you have Strict NAT, try performing a ping test to each other. I've heard of some ISPs that are very lazy about blocking common ports and just drop all traffic between their customers. Again, rare and probably not the issue here.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it again. DMZ is universally bad. It has a very specialized purpose and gaming is not it. For anyone else who hasn't tried it yet, don't.

If you're looking for help with the Strict NAT messages we might be able to assist. We'll need a few details about your connection and equipment, however. Let's start with these:

Ok so im with Vodafone NZ / Telstra Clear and its broadband.

Using a belkin router f5d8633-4 v1 (01) Wireless N .... Not sure if its an all in one job, i presume so.

I am getting the standard error of : Strict NAT detected. UPnP not detected. Please forward UDP ports 3960 & 3962 to 192.168.2.3 This appears everytime i log in.

Ok so i have friends group A and friends group B. I can host a game for group A but not B. I can join group A games and group B can join them too. But i cant join any of group B's games. (hope that makes sense)

I was able to join all group A & B around april or start of may but as soon as it patched an update i can no longer do so. I was also getting intermitant Strict Nats back then as well.

So if the problem is about the modem type we probably should put our informations together to find out which routers are producing the errors.

I do have the same problem as all of you have.

I am using the Vodafone Easybox 803. The modem is almost new, so I never thought it could be part of the problem.

I am looking forward of reading your suggestions for "better" modems

I am just supprised it is being rather picky about which country my friends are in.

Also i can have more than 2 people playing on my side of the router and i can take my computer to my friends houses and do the same and enjoy a good game, but as soon as we try to connect to each other 1 house away it becomes Strict NAT.

Thats what is saying that suk , im not going to took my computer to friends house to play this game only

Ok so im with Vodafone NZ / Telstra Clear and its broadband.

Using a belkin router f5d8633-4 v1 (01) Wireless N .... Not sure if its an all in one job, i presume so.

I am getting the standard error of : Strict NAT detected. UPnP not detected. Please forward UDP ports 3960 & 3962 to 192.168.2.3 This appears everytime i log in.

Ok so i have friends group A and friends group B. I can host a game for group A but not B. I can join group A games and group B can join them too. But i cant join any of group B's games. (hope that makes sense)

I was able to join all group A & B around april or start of may but as soon as it patched an update i can no longer do so. I was also getting intermitant Strict Nats back then as well.

That particular model router is a modem / router combo. Looks to be a fairly dated model these days, given that the latest firmware is more than five years old. Full disclosure on my bias: I hate Belkin. I don't know what your options are or what they're like over there across the pond, but in the US every time I go onsite for a client and see one of those things I die a little inside. I'm not saying to replace it but they aren't the most fun to work with.

On to the good stuff...

So if I understand:

> You used to receive Strict NAT intermittently but more recently it is every time.

> You can connect just fine to some people as both host or client (group A) with no problems.

> You cannot connect at all to some people as either host or client (group B) and nothing works.

> These groups are consistent; it doesn't work some days and not others.

> These groups are (more or less) identifiable by country borders.

Is any of this inaccurate? If it is, the rest of this post is probably worthless.

The fact that you can actually host for some has me thinking that it is less likely to actually be a NAT problem, even though the game reports a Strict NAT. Being able to host shows that inbound connections are working. The fact that it always works or doesn't work for the same people has me thinking that it is not a router malfunction (there would be more inconsistency). The big question is why does it work for some and not for others? If we assume that the servers used to test for NAT issues are part of group B then a pattern emerges.

You mentioned that your friends in the same country cannot connect to you or you to them. NAT doesn't break based on IP, which is what we have here. What does break based on IP is security software. Firewalls, content filters, and peer filters (peer guardian, peer block, etc).

Are you running any software that monitors or filters content or internet connections?