Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Firewall Problems

[DE]Glen

If the Warframe network analysis tool detected a problem with your network this could be the root cause of contact list, matchmaking and even voice-communication issues. Since Warframe is much more fun with friends we want to help you sort out your network troubles and get you back in the game!

Warframe normally uses UDP ports 4950 and 4955. Your firewall needs to let traffic on those ports from any address through to your PC (and from these ports on your PC to any address).

Firewalls are an important part of a network’s security; their job is to prevent unauthorized network traffic from passing through (ie: malicious hackers or viruses trying to connect to your PC). A conservative firewall can be configured to block most traffic and require administrators to grant exceptions to specific programs to allow their traffic through.

There are often several firewalls involved in a network: many PCs have a personal firewall software package built-in (for example: Microsoft Windows Firewall, Norton Internet Security, and ZoneAlarm), and many home routers have a firewall as well.

To solve this problem you have to figure out which firewall is blocking Warframe’s network traffic. The easiest way to identify the culprit is to temporarily disable each firewall and then re-running the Warframe network analysis tool until it succeeds.

Once you have identified which firewall is blocking the traffic you can re-enable the firewall, create an exception for Warframe and test again to make sure it is working.

• Like 1

Bonus technical information for how we decide that you have a firewall problem:

1) The game sends a special UDP ping packet to two different servers

2) The servers reply back to the sender with a packet containing the visible public address & port

If it doesn't get a response from a server it waits a bit and tries again a few times. After a while it gives up -- it assumes that if the reply packet couldn't make it back that it was because a firewall somewhere along the way blocked the packet; in theory other issues could account for the response not making it back but in practical terms it means you're still going to have serious problems playing with other people if they can't 'reply' to data you send them.

Bonus trivia: if both replies make it back we check to see if the public addresses that our servers saw were the same; if they are different this means that the NAT is strict and makes it extremely hard for our servers to relay connection information to other players (if we can't say what public port your router will use we can't tell other players how to talk to you).

A little problem:

Right now it tells me to make sure i have these ports open yet i've taken off every single firewall, including the router which did not even block the game. Also; it started only this monday. Before that day, everything was okay. Any thoughts?

Tbh we are still waiting on an explanation as to how this can still fail with every firewall disabled at the same time. and how its suspiciously startet after you patched last friday. you may not have changed the network analysis tool, but something in the game was changed. our setups didnt change during the time it took to log out, patch and log in again.

• Like 2

The only explanation I have is that the packets are being forwarded to the wrong place. The replies aren't getting back to the game.

We constanty test with several brands of router in various configurations and are not seeing your problem.

You might find opening a support ticket and including your EE.log a more effective way to get help -- there's only so much I can do in the forums without diagnostics.

i've tried disabling both firewalls, and i still get this nat strict.. and i forwarded the ports.. plus, the game worked fine 2 days ago..

I think you're posting in the wrong topic; if your warnings have to do with Strict NAT they have nothing to do with firewall issues.

Do you have any manual port forwarding rules? If these are wrong it then the return ping will not make it back to you because it's being misdirected (but we'll assume that you have a firewall blocking it).

I got that problem only with this game (I play wow,diablo 3,starcraft 2,battlefield 3,Call of Duty,Dark Age,War Thunder)

• Like 1

I've made a rule allowing My UDP ports 3960 & 3962 and i've also turned off my firewalls and neither of these have helped, i've even tried connecting on different internet routers and still nothing can u guys help me cause if you ask me i sound pretty help less.

The network ports (UDP) option in the game's settings menu only seems to affect router UPnP settings, it does not alter Windows Firewall rules in any way, even if you delete the rules entirely and restart the game. This means the Windows Firewall is still using 3960 & 3962, even if you set your router to use other ports (UPnP will list 4950 & 4951 for example.) Does this have any bearing on anything or am I grasping at straws?

• Like 1

Egads you're right! I will fix this right now. Edit: next update it will open all UDP ports not just the default pair -- sadly this will not help with existing installs (if you've changed your ports you can always adjust the Windows Firewall rules it made).

• Like 1

Began happening with me since today's morning. After I log in, message about UDP ports appears and then I can't join any existing game, it simply can't find squad for me, but if I become a host myself, people can join me normally and play with me. WTF?

973.724 Net [info]: MatchingService::AggregateSessions

973.728 Net [info]: Rejecting external traffic from 192.168.100.100:3960, connection not initialized.

973.728 Net [info]: Rejecting external traffic from 192.168.100.100:3962, connection not initialized.

973.920 Script [info]: OnAggregateComplete

973.977 Sys [info]: Budget overrun updating WebGet (35.2 ms)

974.767 Net [info]: Rejecting external traffic from 192.168.100.100:3960, connection not initialized.

974.767 Net [info]: Rejecting external traffic from 192.168.100.100:3962, connection not initialized.

975.807 Net [info]: Rejecting external traffic from 192.168.100.100:3960, connection not initialized.

this is from my EE.log i wish to know what this means in plain english, and i have UDP 3960 & 3962 ports open in my router but still cant connect in any game session. i havent been able to connect in any session today.

Hello, I really liked the game, but a week ago that I can not play with my friends, we have no solution for that yet? I've tried everything posted here in the forum and so far nothing, I disabled the windows firewall and installed and nothing happens, simply a sudden stopped working. Would you like to help me fix the problem. thank you

A suggestion to those having issues:

Try plugging your computer DIRECTLY into the modem. Also try running the program as "admin" (by right clicking on the launcher).

If it works after directly plugging into the modem than the problem is likely your router. It may be old, have old firmware, may not support UPnP, may not have NAT filtering options.

If this is the problem it's time for a new router. I personally like the higher end d-link (esp with the gigabit ports) as they have a TON of options including application level port forwarding (the ports are forwarded for ALL computers in the house) as well as traditional port forwarding.