Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Firewall Problems

[DE]Glen

I've been playing this game for almost 5 months exactly.
I can't take it anymore. I just can't.

I've tried all fixes listed in this thread to the best of my abilities and none of them have worked. I know it's an issue with my computer personally and not the router, because I have the same problem when playing at a friend's house.

I can't connect to anyone, but they can connect to me after a couple tries. It's absolutely ridiculous that this is even a problem in the first place. I feel like DE hasn't even put forth an inkling of effort into fixing this. Why can't we just have dedicated servers or something?

The fact that I am forced to play almost exclusively solo for everything I do is really putting a damper on any fun I could be trying to have. I love this game and the community around it, so I'm trying desperately to hold on and stick it out for some kind of solution, but seeing how some people have had this problem for much longer than I have with no fixes is almost proof that DE just plain doesn't care about us enough to do anything about it.

I was planning on submitting a ticket or something to have this resolved, but after reading the comments in this thread, I know they'll just respond with it being my fault in some way shape or form, so I see no point in even trying. Unless there's some miracle cure for this that's a well-kept secret, I'm going to assume that we'll always have this problem no matter what.

[semi-fix below: next thread]

We live in a world were we want everything handed to us. This issue has forced me to dive further into an OS that has proven to be at fault for 'security' reasons multiple times. The common theme (an the only answer) is Windows. There is most likely a specific configuration that has been tampered with by automated services for security implementations. I have researched the points inside majority of this thread (Firewall, Steam Cache, Ingame Net Diags, DL warframe.msi [from the game site]) No luck.

What makes my issue most frustrating is my older i5 4g system that will not accept an upgrade of 10g (another floating rumor that windows tags your hardware and will not accept specific upgrades) runs this game fine yet my i7 16g cannot join matchmaking. Windows is causing me other issues, as in connection to specific modems wired or wireless, which in turn continues to fuel my Linux side. But wine sucks an crossfire eats up way to much resource. Thus Windows becomes necessary, because that's where the money is.

I can complain all day on how I burnt precious time trying to rattle my brain on this issue but I wont. Instead I plan to compare the statistics (ports, configuration, win7 versions) among my two machines an hopefully produce something the DE's couldn't.... And I'm a hardware guy this is straight up an effing software problem.

How many software guys does it take to change a light bulb? None, they believe they programmed the right GUI to interact with said light bulb regardless of obvious missing link. Call in the hardware guy to swap it 40x's. He loves stable living.

Edited by spiffykat404

Fixed it. Below is a short report. Please report your experience back for a better diagnostics. We need to know if this is working for the masses.

The problem is Windows and how the user has chosen their home network (public/private/work):

Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced Settings (left pane) -> Inbound Rules:

-Scroll down to Warframe items (6 items)

-Check their profile (second column), they must be set to public.

**You have to double click on each one individually and go to the 'Advanced Tab'. Click off private and click on public

****Do this for each item.

-Perform the same task with outbound.

When you restart the game you will be prompted to allow access of warframe on private. This will not change your settings, but to eliminate future variables...click NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember to post your experience. Ill be watching this sticky for the next week or so.

Warframe DE's you can pay me in plat :P.

UPDATE 1.0: Bad news, this method has worked 50% of the time over the past 2.5h. Literally like clockwork. As if your last session is not cleaning up right. Ill be doing more diags another time.

UPDATE 1.2: More Bad News but instead of using my method from last night for diags, I noted my experience. Out of 13 tries, only one game loaded. We had 3 players an lost our host. Both of us still remained after Host Transfer. Read below:

Legend: 0 no load, 1 load

NOTE: All information was tested in joing matchmaking

Earth Lith
Earth E Prime

Firewall Defaulted itself.

Earth Lith

Reset Game

Earth Lith

Forgot to manage Outbound.

Earth Lith

Reset Game

Inboud found back in private!
Left RemoteCrashSender private.

Earth Lua

Disabled all rules.

Rest Game

Refused administrative privalges to Warframe an acquired a notice requesting the need. 'Administrator privileges required to set firewall rules.

It only turned on RemoteCrashSender....as private.

Changed RemoteCrashSender to public. Warframe Chagned all rules back to private.

Loading bar completed. (OMGAWD!)
Game in loading screen longer then normal.
Loaded!

Earth Everest

Earth E Prime

Earth Mantle

Earth Lua

Earth Cambria

...turned off firewall.

Restart game

Earth something(Lith)...

Run Warframe as Admin

Earth Lith
Edited by spiffykat404

If the Warframe network analysis tool detected a problem with your network this could be the root cause of contact list, matchmaking and even voice-communication issues. Since Warframe is much more fun with friends we want to help you sort out your network troubles and get you back in the game!

Warframe normally uses UDP ports 4950 and 4955. Your firewall needs to let traffic on those ports from any address through to your PC (and from these ports on your PC to any address).

Firewalls are an important part of a network’s security; their job is to prevent unauthorized network traffic from passing through (ie: malicious hackers or viruses trying to connect to your PC). A conservative firewall can be configured to block most traffic and require administrators to grant exceptions to specific programs to allow their traffic through.

There are often several firewalls involved in a network: many PCs have a personal firewall software package built-in (for example: Microsoft Windows Firewall, Norton Internet Security, and ZoneAlarm), and many home routers have a firewall as well.

To solve this problem you have to figure out which firewall is blocking Warframe’s network traffic. The easiest way to identify the culprit is to temporarily disable each firewall and then re-running the Warframe network analysis tool until it succeeds.

Once you have identified which firewall is blocking the traffic you can re-enable the firewall, create an exception for Warframe and test again to make sure it is working.

DE some players still having problem, and also check my post, https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/520593-unable-to-connect-in-any-existing-session-aka-host-connection-issue/#entry5821367 i'm unable to connect with anyone, i also made a guess that maybe the load screen is giving data conflict with network? you can try giving a option to players to try static screen because it still force us to load the load screen while loading the map/mode/players/etc on the background.. sorry any grammar fail, i'm pissed, of trying to make this game works after 1 year. thank you

I would like to point out first, that I have a lot of respect for developers, trouble shooters, and programmers. That being said, this problem has persisted for years, with spotty results at the very best, and that's being generous. There is absolutely no reason, in any realm of possibility, that this should still be an issue on the 'To Fix' list, especially not for a micro transaction game like this one that revolves heavily around the trade of paid currency. It speaks very ill of the company at this point where this is still a prevalent issue to which the general response is 'It must be on your end'.  

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm entirely aware of the countless things it could be, the work and time involved. However, again, it's been years. Not days. Not weeks. Not months. Players pay for things in this game all the time, with real, hard earned money. Obviously, there should be real, hard fought results by now. Not 'Check your settings.' That's not just a lack of results, but borders on insulting when this issue is, beyond reasonable doubt, on the end of the game itself, and not the user. 

Again, I have a lot of respect for people that make games. I know a few of them myself, and just watching them work gives me a headache, so I can't imagine doing it myself. It's hard work, takes countless hours of pouring through a near infinite number of problems and solutions. I can't imagine anyone doing that if they didn't genuinely love their work. However, the issue isn't how good, or dedicated, or how very much the people at the company love their work, product, or players.

The issue is 'what are the results?' and thus far the answer has been a rather sobering, almost depressing. 'Nothing.'

• 2 weeks later...

I've done everything myself as well on the whole port forwarding. Gone through support twice. Even made a static. Been like this ever since i joined..... I wonder how many people in missions have tried speaking to me yet i just stand there and look rude to them because my chat is d/ced.

Edited by Karnage2

I've done everything myself as well on the whole port forwarding. Gone through support twice. Even made a static. Been like this ever since i joined..... I wonder how many people in missions have tried speaking to me yet i just stand there and look rude to them because my chat is d/ced.

"Session Unavailable" over and over and over!

Ports are forwarded doesn't work.

Turn off both fire walls doesn't work ..

Analyze Network: "All systems nominal. UPnP detected." ...

No antivirus installed doesn't work ....

Run Warframe with all the above as Adminstrator doesn't work .....

Read the forums for fixes and suggestions for months! One guy recently said reinstalling fixed it ... 'Reinstall' doesn't work ......

The people who I can't connect to can connect to me if I host ... in the past I was able to connect to those clan mates of mine and friends too!

Something has changed and it's not on my end but I've been desperately trying to get warframe to connect regardless. It feels like I can only connect to random people 2/10 attempts.

What more can I do at this point? 

Same as here, been like this for over 2 weeks, since Proxy Rebellion event and connection issues started, i can only completing mission by playing solo since then.

Im considering to leave the game because it's getting frustrating.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am playing warframe for 8 months but now it showed me the error about port 4950-4955. I have no idea how to fix this, anyone help please? 

i tryed forwarding those ports manualy,turn of firewall a few tutorials from here but stil wont work.

• 3 weeks later...

OK im having a problem and yes i did add an acception to the game in the firewall but it stills gives an error.

Im going to try to explain as best as i can:

I login, play a mission, try to invite a friend, he gets a message saying "host unreachable".

I use the analise network tool and i get the error "Please ensure that the network ports 4950 & 4955 are allowed in your firewall" (or something of the sort).

I jsut ran the game repair incase of corruption.

I would like to point out that i have 2 routers one in my living room and one in my room both running on the same net the problem and my living room router has a gaming mode witch opens ports and i port forward the router in my room so everything should be working.

The only thing i didnt do was unpluging my main router.

I would apreciate any help.

Edited by Hugosx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been playing fine since i openned the UDP ports in my router, now out of nowhere comes the warning to open up my ports again, and BOOM can't play!!! I'm a new player to warframe and i just bought plat --',. So explain to me exactly WHY P2P, i'm a developer and i am also starting to make games and from all the multiplayer options you had to choose P2P?! Nice shot in the foot, the game is a bomb just waitting to go BOOM, P2P with the giant number of NAT inside NAT makes P2P applications suffer a lot, yes we can twink our home network. but not our ISP local NAT (that is why we still using ipv4 becouse multi NAT). So as a costumer i must wander now what?! Should i be left with a hole in my pocket, i mean cmon i luv the game i want to playing and pay for more but if i can't give my money back xD. Ok really try to help us or fix or just buy some servers up e leave P2P, jeez i can even help develop the server!

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot understand what I need to do but a recent update/hotfix in U18 started this issue where it freezes for a bit and loads about two thirds of the way and stops for a second or two and then says something about not being able to connect and it's with random games. Nobody can get into games I'm hosting and I have no idea what is happening.

My brother is the worlds biggest self-centered person out there that won't help and says "Everything they say is wrong" so I can't do anything about it. Hate him so much.

Anyways, windows firewall doesn't fix it and reinstalling it stopped fixing the problem so I know nothing about what I need to do.

I am getting this as well all of a sudden, started a couple days ago.  I have both 4950 and 4955 forwarded in my router, and allowed in my firewall, but I keep getting the same error and I can't join any squads.  Restarting my router does fix it, but for a seemingly random amount of time.  

I am getting this as well all of a sudden, started a couple days ago.  I have both 4950 and 4955 forwarded in my router, and allowed in my firewall, but I keep getting the same error and I can't join any squads.  Restarting my router does fix it, but for a seemingly random amount of time.  

I found someone that helped me find the problem and it says that me connecting to them has a port that is 55xxx where x is the parts I don't know.

My ISP should be able to fix the problem but if not then DE will have to fix it themselves.

Hm.  How would an ISP fix this though, if my ports are already forwarded?  Like, I don't know what to even ask of my ISP to address this issue.  Does anyone have any input on that?

Actually, it started working again last night, in-game, without me changing anything, and was working up until today's patch.  So I really doubt it's anything within my control.

Edited by Quiglicious

• 1 month later...

I am currently getting this firewall problem on my PS4. My firewall settings have not been changed, so I assume it has something to do with the servers blacking out and coming back on again every hour or so as it has for the past 10 or so hours. I'd really like to play online, but there's no way for me to change the firewall settings on my router, and from research I've been doing into the problem, it won't even solve it. I'd like confirmation that it's not on my end and that DE is doing something to rectify this.

Turned off modem firewall, windows firewall, even anti virus firewall than port forward but keep receive the message " Please Ensure That Your Firewall Permits Upd 4950 & 4955 " even though no firewall is working. This happen right after the "Hotfix". Try everything, none work. Then today a new error appear "Could not use confiruged network port 4955. Please close other program thay may reserving it" even though no program using that port. Don't know what to do know, this error just turn warframe into offline game.

Edited by BimPatrick

• 2 weeks later...