Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Firewall Problems

[DE]Glen

I'm running into a problem that the game is still complaining about strict NAT, yet I have everything on my pfSense router configured properly (IE. UPnP enabled and UDP ports forwarded directly to my PC.)  I can see in the UPnP Status page that my PC is connecting on port 3960 and 3962 without any problems yet I still get this problem.

I'm also running into a problem that a friend of mine cannot host the session or I am dropped everytime.  He cannot invite me to any sessions and when the host is switched before the round starts I get kicked while everyone else that was in the lobby still makes it into the round with just me being dropped.

Any ideas?

guys i think i found it! i used manual port forwording for ports 3960 and 3962, after this i turn on uPnP on my router but not in the game! after this, no alerts anymore and normal matchmaking! i hope this help for common good! (sorry for my bad english) 

Edited by Gkil

I'm reasonably new to warframe.  I find it amazing reading this thread that this bug has persisted so long with zero official response.

I get the "strict nat" message using PFsense.  The UPnP in this game is messed up somehow.  I have forwarded the ports and turned off UPnP ingame and have problems with some players.  I've tried it with UPnP (which pfSense obvious supports) with exactly the same results even though I can see pfSense respond properly (3960 reports open and listening as "client" and 3962 as "server").

I have one friend I can connect to every single time (as client or host) and another I can never connect to.

They're both using UPnP.  There's nothing to differentiate why I can connect to one and not the other.  I have never had a problem like this with any other game or application and I've played a lot of P2P hosted games (living in Australia that's par for the course) and have a 100/8 connection.

I think everyone would like this fixed so is there any indication what could cause this problem?  Why does the game report pfSense as a strict Nat when UPnP is enabled? Do I need to inspect every packet here to figure out what's going on or can we get some info?

This is the point of a beta I thought - to solve these issues.  Doubly so if you're already taking cash for the game (which I've gladly added to by the way).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reasonably new to warframe.  I find it amazing reading this thread that this bug has persisted so long with zero official response.

I get the "strict nat" message using PFsense.  The UPnP in this game is messed up somehow.  I have forwarded the ports and turned off UPnP ingame and have problems with some players.  I've tried it with UPnP (which pfSense obvious supports) with exactly the same results even though I can see pfSense respond properly (3960 reports open and listening as "client" and 3962 as "server").

I have one friend I can connect to every single time (as client or host) and another I can never connect to.

They're both using UPnP.  There's nothing to differentiate why I can connect to one and not the other.  I have never had a problem like this with any other game or application and I've played a lot of P2P hosted games (living in Australia that's par for the course) and have a 100/8 connection.

I think everyone would like this fixed so is there any indication what could cause this problem?  Why does the game report pfSense as a strict Nat when UPnP is enabled? Do I need to inspect every packet here to figure out what's going on or can we get some info?

This is the point of a beta I thought - to solve these issues.  Doubly so if you're already taking cash for the game (which I've gladly added to by the way).

Actually, Ferzal -- IRL, I'm a Nginx admin...Have worked on 3 major MMO's...Actually did soup to nuts network installs for 2 of them...

When I wrote a ticket about this issue and actually explained exactly what the problem was and I mean, exactly...I received a canned response asking for my dxdiag because clearly the issue was my PC's performance.

Rampage IV Extreme, I7 3960x, Dominator 2133 4x4, 3x GTX 780 SLI, Corsair AX 1200x2

TLDR, my computer's performance is absolutely NOT the issue.

I've been in this game for 2 weeks but, I've lost hope in terms of any resolution just from reading the site...They'd clearly rather do a ping based protocol than actually address the problem by packet-load...

Going to double post my response to you in the thread I started because the reply, when actual IT's and Admins have pointed out exactly what the issue is, is rather pathetic...IMO.

I got rid of this silly NAT thing after I changed my ISP because the one I was customer to had absolutely disgusting Thomson Speedtouch router. I had NAT issues with that device with pretty much every Peer-to-Peer game. So with this new ISP I got Cisco router and it's pretty good. The funny thing is that now in warframe, the network analyzer thing reports ''All systems nominal'' even if I don't even open the ports. I have UPnP disabled (in the windows,router and ingame) and I haven't put my PC into DMZ either. 

TL;DR Warframe needs some technical maintenance prioritized ASAP and releasing new content should be secondary right now.

EDIT: I have a temporary fix for the NAT issues on Thomson Speedtouch router if anyone is interested/owns one of those devices.

Edited by ProxySDK

I have been completely unable to solve the firewall problem.

Attempts:

Uninstalling Comodo firewall

Entirely disabling windows firewall

Entirely disabling router firewall

fowarding UDP packets 3960 & 3962

directly fowarding above UDP packets to and from 64.140.116.228

Disabling uPNP, reenabling uPNP

Restarting router, modem

Pings return from 64.140.116.228 just fine, UDP packet statuses are "Unreplied" 

uPnP easily recognizes Warframe and sets the ports appropriately, even when I change the ports inside the game - I can see my uPnP rules collect, with proper corresponding ports opened.

Has my IP address been banned or something? Are the servers just plain not talking to me? I have been playing for about a year now with no issues. I played one night, went to bed, woke up, hopped on - and I have had this persistent firewall problem ever since. I made no changes, the program did not update, nothing - just sudden blam, I can't play with anyone anymore.

Would LOVE a response, I have devoted too many hours and dollars to this game to be scrubbed so easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had to find the answer myself.  Turns out this game doesn't like the source port (not destination) being scrambled by firewalls.  There are a lot of reasons why this is a nice little security measure and we could go into how UPnP is pretty insecure as well but whether or not you think this is a good idea some firewalls do this by default which is the problem.

So far I've only run into one application of any kind that this breaks: warframe. And only sometimes...  I still can't make any sense as to why this fixes the problem but it does.

I made a special OUTGOING rule to make the warframe default ports static and I no longer get the firewall message and can now connect to people I couldn't connect to before.  Why this is a problem only sometimes I don't know.. but there's the clue to fixing it DE.  Shouldn't be that hard.  Or is there a valid reason why your code (sometimes) looks at the source port?

Could you say how you did this?  I  used port forwarding to get rid of the firewall message, but my mic doesn't appear to work in game (I can hear others, if they speak, and can use team speak ok).  I'm thinking Warframe is struggling with my router and/or firewall, but just not reporting it.

Could you say how you did this?  I  used port forwarding to get rid of the firewall message, but my mic doesn't appear to work in game (I can hear others, if they speak, and can use team speak ok).  I'm thinking Warframe is struggling with my router and/or firewall, but just not reporting it.

It would depend on your router and it may not be possible with an out-of-the-box device which is why the fix should be done by DE.  Your router may not scramble outgoing ports if you're not getting the firewall message - though the fact that you had to forward the ports isn't a good sign either.  The people I play with have all had troubles with in-game voice (most games implement it poorly so this is not unique to DE) and we just use other programs like Ventrilo or Skype so I haven't had a chance to look at it.  It may not be related.

I don't really want to start a support thread for each router for a problem that DE should fix themselves but if you can report your router model I might be able to quickly find whether it scrambles outgoing ports and if there's a way to setup a static rule for it.

Thanks for the response!  My router is a Technicolor TG582n (the non-USB DANT-T version).  Warframe started off saying it had a strict NAT (got that sorted), then reported a Firewall problem (also sorted).  So it seems Warframe doesn't like this router, for whatever reason.

Thanks for the response!  My router is a Technicolor TG582n (the non-USB DANT-T version).  Warframe started off saying it had a strict NAT (got that sorted), then reported a Firewall problem (also sorted).  So it seems Warframe doesn't like this router, for whatever reason.

These routers can be a little troublesome apparently. I'm not sure it is the router if you have sorted everything else out.  The best way to check would be to turn the firewall feature off entirely for a test or enabling DMZ mode (by selecting apply public IP address to device and selecting the PC you're using).  This will open your PC up completely to the net but it's ok just for the shortest possible period to test the voice.  Do that quickly and disconnect and restore the router settings as you have it now.  If you're still having issues then it's probably some hardware/driver setting specific to your audio device or sound chipset combined with the game in which case you can look at other sections of support or this forum.

If that solves it then there's probably not much you can do because you don't want to run like that and there's no way to make any other changes with that router.  It doesn't randomise outgoing source ports so it's not the issue I was having.

• 1 month later...

My Warframe constantly says DNS Lookup Failed I've tried restarting my PC, Warframe, Steam, nothing. I even tried to verify my game cache and still nothing. Also even though I put the right credentials for my password it says Login Failed. Check your info. Can anyone help me to solve this problem, it was working fine the previous days but now it's not.

Would really appreciate if someone answered this.

Well this has been happening to me since last monday for some weird reason i'm unable to join online sessions or get invited to mission's or others player's dojos .The "Please ensure that your firewall permits UDP ports 3960 & 3962" is the message i get every time i log or relog in .I've read up on the turn off your fire wall solution and i did do that but it still hasn't worked.This issue has resulted in me having to solo play for a week now but I've been finding it impossible to join my friends games because of this issue.By the way i can still chat with others online but i can't see them on my friends list it just says that there all offline even if i'm chatting with them.So i hope i can get some help to resolve this issue cause i really  like playing online and thanks for your time :)

hi everyone i have been playing this game for a long time and i never ecountered a problem like this, so here the issue, i am in a clan and theres this player who i cant invite him to my game or vice versa we even tried the dojo nad nothing, but we can play when another member of the clan invites us, any sugesstions... i have tried to deactivate the firewall and set my NAT to open but i dont understand very much about it ... could you please help or make a fix about it because i can play with everyone else .... sorry about my bad english

So I've been having similar problems to some people here, however they only started after Update 13. Namely I can't see anyone on my Friend's list who is online despite knowing they're online. I even downloaded a port checker and everything came back A-OK. My firewalls aren't interfering and I haven't gotten the Strict NAT or w/e. Just a "Warframe uses ports blah blah blah" everytime even when I use the analyse network command. So...yeah really annoying me here.

Edited by GeneralScrage

Last night, on April 11, i had no problems when the hotfix came up. I just played like normal without problems.

However, starting today, on April 12, i started getting the message about firewalls and the UDP ports 3960 and 3962. I checked the only firewall i have, which allows this game like it has from the day i first started playing this until now...

I can't invite others, i can't be invited, i can't join game sessions and it takes quite a while for me to load into the dojo. I have not tried playing solo, because i play this game for the coop.

I really like this game, would put it as my top most favorite coop games, right beside TF 2. It would be a shame if i can no longer play this, abandoning all the good people i met and all the great progress i made in such short time. :(

Edit: Somehow i am able to play, despite he issue. But i am not alone on this, even those with good connection within the clan i am in is getting this annoying issue as well.

Edited by Zagaran

Liquid_Dagga

I am extremely peeved about paying for something to make it not work and can confidently say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with anybodies routers or firewalls or settings. The problem here is clearly something that is on warframes side, coding or servers or whatever we dont know. Stop being too proud and get somebody who does know what they are doing and can review all network related coding/servers etc... even if its as a consultant. I hate paying for other peoples school fees.

Well guys Liquid_Digga hit the nail on the head.

As a programmer and someone who has been responsible for some of the largest gaming networks around (20+years experience) I have to say that it IS the fault of DE.
It is sloppy coding that has caused this...or perhaps simply very lax checking procedures on their part.

Yes, it could be your firewall causing it.
Yes, it could be that your router needs replacing and/or an update.
Yes it could be that there are conflicts within the firewalls you are running.
Yes it could be that an alien has abducted your ISP (Which may be a good thing if its Talktalk)!

But as has been mentioned before, everything was just fine until the last update and then....bang!....problem time.

I don’t expect anyone to like what I have written, but the fact is that I would stake my last pound  that it is DE who need to fix this from their side, and I say that with due respect to them, as they have a great product, and are doing extremely well with it....but like any game that is being updated so fast, these things slip through sometimes.

However, never say I don’t try and help those of you on PCs having problems.
Here is a step by step breakdown for you so that you can easily open your ports.

1. First off go to "Start" then pick "Control Panel"
2. Next click the "Windows Firewall" lcon.
3. On the left side click the "Advanced Settings" link.
4. Then on the left, click the "Inbound Rules".  Over on the right side of the window you will see the word "Actions", under that click the "New Rule" link.
5. Select the option marked "Port" and click next.
6. In the Specific Local Ports box, type the ports you want to open, separated by commas, and then click next.
For example, with this problem the UDP ports that need to be opened are 3960, 3962.
7. Choose "Allow the Connection" and click next.
The  wizard will want to know how to apply this rule. The safest option is to choose the option to make it for your home network only....But that choice is yours.
8. Check the boxes for Private (or any other network type you want), and then click next.
9. Click Finish.

The new rule appears in the "Inbound Rules" list and will now be working.