Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Firewall Problems

[DE]Glen

have this absurd error report, but i can play..so what's the reason of this?before patch , sometimes i got the DNS error , but i can play..now i got the Network port error message, but again i can play..and OF COURSE WARFRAME IS IN FIREWALL EXCEPTION WITH ALL PORTS FORWARDES (IS SET TO ANY PORTS)..can devs pls fix this annoiyng bug, same for disconnection from chat or game messages. thanks

Warframe is telling me that I have firewall issues, even when I turn my firewall off. I think something is wrong.

Remember, even without a firewall turned on, you may have to forward the ports manually, still.

Also, if you're behind a router, those tend to have their own firewalls also.  Can usually access it via http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1

You'll need a username and password, which varries from router to router.

And on top of all THAT: Windows firewall may APPEAR to be turned off, but try going to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Advanced Options, and you may find that it's secretly STILL RUNNING. D:

If none of THAT helps, check to be sure your port settings in Warframe options haven't changed.  I just earlier had a warframe crash, and my ports reverted to an earlier setting, causing me to get the Strict NAT/firewall error messages.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Remember that if u are using mobile connection (3G/4G), they sometimes are NATted from the ISP's end (this is a attempt to keep enough addresses availeble to end users). Some games may work, some don't.
I tested Warframe via my 4G and it instantly hailed the strict NAT -message. If this is your case, the only workaround is to get in contact with your ISP and hope they can bridge your connection. This isn't always the case.

Another  thing, I had to make a whole new rule in to my firewall (AVG) before it started to run games as it should. I had Warframe already allowed in the Firewall, but still, i had to make new rule for it before it started to work properly.

I hope this helps somebody!

snip

However, never say I don’t try and help those of you on PCs having problems.

Here is a step by step breakdown for you so that you can easily open your ports.

1. First off go to "Start" then pick "Control Panel"

2. Next click the "Windows Firewall" lcon.

3. On the left side click the "Advanced Settings" link.

4. Then on the left, click the "Inbound Rules".  Over on the right side of the window you will see the word "Actions", under that click the "New Rule" link.

5. Select the option marked "Port" and click next.

6. In the Specific Local Ports box, type the ports you want to open, separated by commas, and then click next.

For example, with this problem the UDP ports that need to be opened are 3960, 3962.

7. Choose "Allow the Connection" and click next.

The  wizard will want to know how to apply this rule. The safest option is to choose the option to make it for your home network only....But that choice is yours.

8. Check the boxes for Private (or any other network type you want), and then click next.

9. Click Finish.

The new rule appears in the "Inbound Rules" list and will now be working.

First thanks for taking the time to explain this, secondly...it doesn't work for me. I did every action you mentioned and I'm still getting the stupid "Warframe uses ports, make sure blah blah open". Any ideas? My list shows the new ports and whatnot activated but nothings changed.

First thanks for taking the time to explain this, secondly...it doesn't work for me. I did every action you mentioned and I'm still getting the stupid "Warframe uses ports, make sure blah blah open". Any ideas? My list shows the new ports and whatnot activated but nothings changed.

I have much the same problem, I've tried to fix it multiple ways, installing exceptions on every possible firewall that could be blocking Warframe (many of which I've noticed are already letting more or less unlimited traffic to/from Warframe already), changing the UDP ports ingame, flat out turned off my firewall, and yet I still get messages to make sure my firewall is allowing UDP ports whatever and whatever.

This problem started yesterday, and is still persisting and very frustrating.

I have the same issues and ive tried every fix i've been able to find, yet Warframe keeps telling me that i need to open the ports regardless of what i do. This has gone on for the past week, with nothing changing it, and ive been following posts on the forums with no luck.

Is anyone seeing to this? is this being fixed or are the devs even aware this is an issue? There seems to be very little going on in the way of response from anyone, and i for one would like to know if anything is being done about it. At least then i can wait patiently...

Edited by Tharandriel

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I posted in the wrong section before, too tired to find it and copy it all into here, you can find it from my name and topics.

Basically, long story short, I have been playing since beta went live (patch 7 was it?) and have been having this problem as long as I can remember.

The problem is not on our side, it is on Warframe. Yes, you could do a million checks and changes that might fix it, but only for a while.

I've been able to play all this time, but I also get this problem all this time. It's been almost a year now, what the hell.

Since I am not usually in a mood to do all the mentioned changes again and again (who is for crying out loud? you jump in to play a game not set your PC) most of the time I simply relog and it always fixes it for a couple games. Sometimes it needs relogging from me and the friend I want to connect to.

Of late, it is really bad. I mean really bad! I am able to get 1 game working out of it every like 1 hour of trying and relogging. If something was blocking it, it would not work even that 1 time, simple! I also would not have occassions that it works for an hour or so then fixes with a simple relog and keeps working then with another relog and keeps working. It can't be on and off, one second working and the next nothing. The issue is with Warframe, not our settings!

So frustrated because obviously I really like this game and obviously I have also invested a lot of time in it. If I didn't love it I wouldn't care. And this to that I am trying out some of the processes again today (atm waiting for steam to verify and hoping it does not fall into a loop... I'm going to be really annoyed if it does..)

There seem to be problems on the system and coding all over the place. If it isn't this it's that, if it isn't that it's this. The steam integration itself has another bunch of problems that keep on striking.

Forget the next patch DE, fix this thing already. What use is an awesome game you can't play? I have been getting this issue for almost a year now and NO amount of "hacking" fixes it permanently. This is ridiculous. This should be the first priority it is way overdue.

Just, fix it. Don't know how? Get people on it that do!

I have the same issues and ive tried every fix i've been able to find, yet Warframe keeps telling me that i need to open the ports regardless of what i do. This has gone on for the past week, with nothing changing it, and ive been following posts on the forums with no luck.

Is anyone seeing to this? is this being fixed or are the devs even aware this is an issue? There seems to be very little going on in the way of response from anyone, and i for one would like to know if anything is being done about it. At least then i can wait patiently...

I agree so much with what you said... If we knew this was being fixed at least you could have some (not a lot, but some) more patience. I mean, after a year almost they are lucky we are even up for that small amount of extra patience and understanding. If that does not show our love for the game and respect for the developers then I don't know what does.

It needs to be addressed and I would be happy to finally see a response that does not tell us "what to look for" and instead shows that they finally admit it is the game that needs fixing/changing. There are so many of us that are having this problem no matter what we do. And not having any problems with other games makes it worst by comparison. It needs to be addressed and we need some form of answer that shows us they are taking this specific thing seriously and not hiding behind a "check your firewall" statement.

I also have this. I manually port forwarded UDP 3960 and 3962 on my router, disabled both windows and router firewalls (only ones I have) and it still says I have firewall problems.

Not sure if this is related to upnp but I tried it with upnp disabled and enabled and nothing works. I'm going to try those different ports and see if those will work.

EDIT: After I switched to UDP ports 4950 & 4951, port forwarding those on the router page and making a rule to allow those ports on my Windows Firewall, every time I do the analyze network check it says ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL.

That solved it for me. Thank you.

And 2nd edit: My UPnP is off in the router settings and warframe settings if you are wondering.

Edited by Veldara

I have forwarded the ports and tested to make sure that they are working fine. With windows firewall disabled, I still get the Strict Nat message. My router doesn't have UpNP and nor should it because it's extremely unsafe. So what else can one do to try and resolve this issue? I see posts in this thread from 2013, clearly it has been around for some time. Unlike many here I am familiar with networking enough to safely say the problem is not on my end.

• 4 weeks later...

So Glen, seems like you may have insight...I run a SonicWALL enterprise firewall at home. SonicWALL does not support uPNP. So as you can imagine, I have issues with connecting. Strange thing is, it is very regular.

First off, I have forwarded the appropriate ports and I have disabled uPNP in the game. When I attempt to check the network, I get the strict NAT error. If I invite players to my session, they either get the NAT error or it fails, everytime. But, if I play a match, I have players join me no issue and I even remain the host.

So, how do we get around uPNP? Don't want to move off the SonicWALL as the hardware if very powerful.

Same problem. I just was playing with friends, end of mission and bam they cant inv me, i cant join them, only they can join me when im in missWill Dev fix it ? I hope so, but there are always other games to play/spend money on them...

Funny thing - just tried to play with my friend, and it was ok.

Tried to play with another friend - failed to join.

We both ran the "analyze network" in game, we both got everything fine rapport.

Turned out that when I made a firewall exception on my router to UDP 3960 3962 ports (and restarted the router) - we could play.

Why the hell was I able to play with the 1st friend if I had a problem, but not the 2nd?  

Not to mention - why did analyze network say everything's fine if it wasn't?

Hope this helps to craft some solution as the problem seems quite common as I hear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dont know if this is the section for this or not but i for some reason dont recieve game invites and the pppl i try to invite to a game dont get the game invite as well and this problem started occuring after the serveer upgrade earlier this week

• 3 weeks later...

Just encountered this problem today.

The game was working fine up until last night,

I am using a Virginmedia Superhub 2.

Things I have tried.  

Changing UDP ports in game - get the error on the new ports.

Adding specific Port Forwarding rules in the router - PC IP is reserved anyway as I already have rules in place for other applications.

Disabling Windows Firewall.

Disabling and re-enabling UPnP on the router - (I've found this sometimes gives the router a kick start as some can stall when adding UPnP entries after a while)

All give me the same error message and I can no longer join other players.  As stated I was happily playing this game last night and nothing has been changed on my system prior to me encountering this error.

Just encountered this problem today.

The game was working fine up until last night,

I am using a Virginmedia Superhub 2.

Things I have tried.  

Changing UDP ports in game - get the error on the new ports.

Adding specific Port Forwarding rules in the router - PC IP is reserved anyway as I already have rules in place for other applications.

Disabling Windows Firewall.

Disabling and re-enabling UPnP on the router - (I've found this sometimes gives the router a kick start as some can stall when adding UPnP entries after a while)

All give me the same error message and I can no longer join other players.  As stated I was happily playing this game last night and nothing has been changed on my system prior to me encountering this error.

I am with you, bro -.-

Edited by Timo2141