The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Overly-Optimistic Request to Make Jade's Subsume Ability her Passive Instead

The request:
Please let us subsume and assign Jade's passive (just the two Aura Mod slots) instead of one of her abilities.

Why I'm sure people think it can't (or shouldn't) be done:

1. We've never had a Passive available in the Helminth
  2. Certain frames' entire kits revolve around their passive
  3. The Helminth UI doesn't even have a space to pick passive as a swap-out
  4. This might lower the chances of DE reworking outdated passives
  5. The Arsenal UI isn't set up to show different passives in the Abilities icons

Reasons why it could work:

1. Though unprecedented in the Helminth, it's also unprecedented to have a passive change the Mod Slot count
  2. Some frames would also be useless if you subsumed over their best ability; it's a matter of player choice and discretion
  3. UI changes are not that difficult (I'm a programmer, and I know I'm being a hypocrite because I've used this excuse on previous jobs)
  4. How many years will we have to wait for all the passives to get reworked? And will they ever? Some frames have passives that will never be missed if subsumed over.
  5. You could make separate icons for each passive, OR you could have the generic passive icon and then just a  single new icon for Jade's passive

I know it sounds crazy when thinking in the context of frames like Voruna or Lavos. But I'm sure compromises could be reached. For example, if a frame absolutely cannot operate without their passive, then make it impossible to install on that frame, easy-peasy! Or if that doesn't sound fair, then make it so the frame gets the second Aura slot, but suffers a misalignment burden that lowers their base stats.

But there are frames with passives that go years without even being noticed or used by players. There are threads with players begging for reworked passives. This would be an instant win for those frames. I of course love Mag, but her passive doesn't even work. It's been well reported (and I've personally experienced) that her vacuum bugs out under most circumstances, and even if it did work it's never going to get used because of companions anyway.

And finally, it's not like it comes without a cost. Losing the opportunity to install another ability is a high cost for frames that need an armor strip or energy economy. This subsume probably wouldn't take the place of the most popular ones already out today for that reason. It would only be for the frames that have throw-away passives and a complete enough kit that they don't need a subsume on anything else.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Probably_Asleep said:

Please let us subsume and assign Jade's passive (just the two Aura Mod slots)

IMO it should just be a new stock feature. Similar to how in the past Hildryn's passive made her the only frame with a shieldgate, but then it was added to all frames.

Modding has been a PITA anyway with how expensive mod drains are and how punishing polarities can be (especially in this era of helminth). If DE doesn't want to have forma give universal polarities (sans Umbral), then a 2nd aura is a good enough compromise that won't even add that much bonus power.

Edited by KitMeHarder

17 minutes ago, KitMeHarder said:

IMO it should just be a new stock feature. Similar to how in the past Hildryn's passive made her the only frame with a shieldgate, but then it was added to all frames.

Modding has been a PITA anyway with how expensive mod drains are and how punishing polarities can be (especially in this era of helminth). If DE doesn't want have forma give universal polarities (sans Umbral), then a 2nd aura is a good enough compromise that won't even add that much bonus power.

I like your idea better

2 hours ago, Probably_Asleep said:

For example, if a frame absolutely cannot operate without their passive, then make it impossible to install on that frame, easy-peasy

Or just don't subsume over it... Not every frame needs a helminth tweak, passive or not

39 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

Or just don't subsume over it... Not every frame needs a helminth tweak, passive or not

Agreed. I think for the most part players can exercise common sense. I was just thinking along the lines of programming restrictions. Like if they can't get Voruna to operate properly with her passive deactivated then either prevent installing it over Voruna (or let her have two passives and a debuff).