Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore Question? Ask here for an answer

Dr.Tursko

Normally, by logic, one would consider Necramechs that guard Albrecht Entrati's lab had underwent malfunction, hence they're unable to differentiate Murmur and Allies. But why can't they be reprogramed or have their precept fixed? And logically, if they are indeed malfunction, shouldn't they go haywire and attack everything indiscriminately? Why just Murmur not being attacked?

Or maybe, consider Loid called us Betrayers, is it because these Necramech are ordered to fight The Tenno  just like Orokin Neural Sentry? Yet, interestingly, Tenno controlled Necramechs are not spared either from the aggression. Was that an oversight by Albrecht Entrati as he forgot to disable "Destroy the Tenno" precept?

Spoiler

Or is it because Albrecht Entrati is both The Albrecht and The Man in the Wall? Hence why the Robotic Guardians are confused?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

How and when did Ordis obtain his Sentinel body?

I remember he had it all of a sudden during The New War but don't remember the game explaining it.

The outline of his body can be seen when you insert the Vitruvian into Ordis during The Sacrifice. It was once a vague outline, but if you complete The New War and replay The Sacrifice, the outline is more filled in and obvious.

Not sure if anyone has seen this but replaying the sacrifice after the new  war changes “Star-Child” Ordis : r/Warframe

29 minutes ago, Dark_Lugia said:

Can Warframes get pregnant? Asking for a friend.

I'll humor this one since people are genuinely confused after Jade Shadows.

SPOILERS FOR JADE SHADOWS BELOW

Spoiler

We don't know! We do know that pregnant women can become Warframes, but we are still in the dark if they can become pregnant once transformed.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mardana said:

Normally, by logic, one would consider Necramechs that guard Albrecht Entrati's lab had underwent malfunction, hence they're unable to differentiate Murmur and Allies. But why can't they be reprogramed or have their precept fixed? And logically, if they are indeed malfunction, shouldn't they go haywire and attack everything indiscriminately? Why just Murmur not being attacked?

Or maybe, consider Loid called us Betrayers, is it because these Necramech are ordered to fight The Tenno  just like Orokin Neural Sentry? Yet, interestingly, Tenno controlled Necramechs are not spared either from the aggression. Was that an oversight by Albrecht Entrati as he forgot to disable "Destroy the Tenno" precept?

Hide contents

Or is it because Albrecht Entrati is both The Albrecht and The Man in the Wall? Hence why the Robotic Guardians are confused?

A few reasons can explain this. It's not outright stated, but:

1. Trying to reprogram a Necramech would be less than safe, given their combat prowess. Once you destroy it, you are already able to rebuild one with the scraps, so reprogramming an active one is not worth the risk. Loid can't directly reconfigure the mechs either, so fixing the precept is likely impossible. If there is a way to reprogram that precept, it's likely only known by Albrecht and/or sealed away in a deep Netracell. 

2. Given Wally's many forms, it is possible that they literally do not see the difference between Albrecht and Wally. The mechs then side with Murmur units because their 'master' seems fine with them, and I'm sure Void corruption getting into their systems isn't helping it.

3. The Necramechs engaging the Mechs that are Tenno Controlled can be simply explained by 'Friendly Fire = Corrupt Program, Execute former Ally'. You have to give leeway for gameplay mechanics, as being ignored while in a Mech would trivialize lots of missions.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Dr.Tursko:

[snip]

Inhalt unsichtbar machen

We don't know! We do know that pregnant women can become Warframes, but we are still in the dark if they can become pregnant once transformed.

Thank you.
That's how I understood, too. Thought I might have missed something, but it looks like that's all we now (so far).

Spoiler

I just hope we don't have to wait years for news on Sirius/Orion and Daddy Stalker.

Edited by Dark_Lugia
  • Like 1

Is there anything to indicate that the stories of Warframes in the Leverian entries are about Tenno-controlled Warframes with an Operator? Likewise, is there anything to prove or disprove that the Stalker's Acolytes have Operators or are they all independent/feral/Umbral/whatever you want to call them? Rell/Harrow is the only undeniable Operator/Warframe pair besides the players that I know of, and I have a feeling that most of the stories about Warframes we actually hear and most of the Warframes we actually meet don't have or never had an Operator.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xylena_Lazarow said:

What does Lotus do with all those Capture targets?

Lotus's dialogue even in Archon Hunt rescue missions suggest that there are tenno-allied organizations of people (like the blue-suited guards in relays) that handle debriefing and interrogation of capture targets and rescue targets. So likely teleported to a Tenno-allied group.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Is there anything to indicate that the stories of Warframes in the Leverian entries are about Tenno-controlled Warframes with an Operator?  Rell/Harrow is the only undeniable Operator/Warframe pair besides the players that I know of, and I have a feeling that most of the stories about Warframes we actually hear and most of the Warframes we actually meet don't have or never had an Operator.

From Voruna's Leverian Entry:

Within the cryopod, the child's eyelids fluttered and Voruna... staggered. In what scratchy stills survived in Void-corrupted datamasses, what I saw between child and Warframe was... recognition.

The entry seems to suggest that Voruna in the Leverian Story is controlled by an Operator, and this Operator was the same one Tuvul planned to use as his new body with Continuity. It aligns with us possessing the transference-chair in our ships, as the last section reads:
I did salvage one final image from those Void-corrupted datamasses, however. That of Voruna herself, striding back toward her craft, the child cradled in her arms.

While we can't say for certain about the rest of the Warframe entries, it is likely they were piloted, as 'feral' frames were literally animals. Without an operator, they tore through guards if they could, as seen in Rhino Prime's entry.

26 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Likewise, is there anything to prove or disprove that the Stalker's Acolytes have Operators or are they all independent/feral/Umbral/whatever you want to call them?

The Stalker's Acolytes have (at the moment) almost zero lore to them, other than them being individuals that align with Stalker's ideals. This is now debatable with Stalker's new ideals after Jade Shadows, but from the dialogue spoken by Misery:
Misery states, "Betrayers will die," as well as saying, "These children will not stop us," implying that he knows the Tenno's true nature. All of this pointing that the Acolytes are just as separated from the Tenno as the Stalker himself. (From Warframe Wiki)

"These children will not stop us" seems to suggest they are also guards from the Orokin Era, transformed for whatever reason into warframes like Stalker was. It is not unlikely they do not have operators, but they are not feral either. This suggests they were adults transformed. If they were just 'evil tenno' , they wouldn't specify "these children". 

Again, nothing about the Acolytes is concrete. This is just my conclusion drawn from in-game material. Hopefully we get more on them in a post-Jade Shadows world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mardana said:

But why can't they be reprogramed or have their precept fixed?

That implies Necramechs have precepts (read: any level of computation more sophisticated than "shoot the dudes"). The trailer for Operation Orphix Venom has Father describe them as "dumb as a bag of hammers" which is both their greatest strength and their greatest weakness

-----

7 minutes ago, Dr.Tursko said:

While we can't say for certain about the rest of the Warframe entries, it is likely they were piloted, as 'feral' frames were literally animals. Without an operator, they tore through guards if they could, as seen in Rhino Prime's entry.

They were feral by choice, not by nature. They just wanted to KILL THE OROKIN and would be as feral or as cognizant as needed to do that. Kullervo shows what a non-piloted Warframe is like: perfectly cognizant, if constantly miserable for various reasons

13 minutes ago, Dr.Tursko said:

While we can't say for certain about the rest of the Warframe entries, it is likely they were piloted, as 'feral' frames were literally animals.

That's sort of the part I'm talking about. Umbra wasn't a literal animal, at least not yet. Jade doesn't seem to have been. And we know of other frames who weren't piloted, like Protea was created for Parvos - where I don't think there's any indication that she also came with an Operator. We know that Warframes without an Operator do degrade over time, like the Chroma we meet. But we don't know how long that takes and until that happens they seem to be quite cognizant. We also don't know the timeline of when the Orokin were using unpiloted Warframes and when they stopped (if at all). Like - was Dante piloted? Limbo? So if there's anything in the Leverian or other lore that shows they were piloted then that'd be interesting to know (like with Voruna, good example, which gives us two). But it could also be that most of the examples in the stories weren't piloted, and there are way more Umbral/feral/whatever frames out there than we think, and that the degradation isn't always immediate or to the point of becoming an animal.

Edited by PublikDomain

Hey there, happy to see a fellow person-unbearably-obsessed-with-Warframe-lore. o7

Here's a couple for you to chew on! I don't think these actually have canon answers but I like discussing and theorizing. :^)

Umbra is what I've been calling "self-aware", referring to being self-determining, cognizant, ambulatory, conscious, etc (since "sentient" is an entire unrelated faction in this world LOL) Basically, doesn't need an operator. Some other self-aware warframes we've been introduced to are Kullervo, Dagath, and Dante.

So the actual question is: what makes these frames different from their non-self-aware brothers and sisters? It's clearly not due to being the "original", since we reconstruct Umbra from blueprints and he's still self-aware.

Related question: do you think every single Dante, Dagath, Kullervo, and Jade are self-aware the way our foundry-built Umbra obviously still is?

I see other people have asked almost the same questions while I was typing this LOL. I'll still submit it tho :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AConfusedBird said:

So the actual question is: what makes these frames different from their non-self-aware brothers and sisters? It's clearly not due to being the "original", since we reconstruct Umbra from blueprints and he's still self-aware.

Related question: do you think every single Dante, Dagath, Kullervo, and Jade are self-aware the way our foundry-built Umbra obviously still is?

I see other people have asked almost the same questions while I was typing this LOL. I'll still submit it tho :)

Your question assumes that a Warframe's default state is inert, and they need to be special in order to walk around without a pilot

I propose that's backwards. A Warframe's natural state is self-sufficient, and the Orokin use restraining bolts to make them inert. The restraining bolts turn off when a pilot is present, and back on when the pilot leaves

• Like 1

So would a "restraining bolt" be part of the blueprint?

My HC is similar in effect, but more permanent; essentially I think warframes are genetically lobotomized. The parts of the genome that control development of higher brain function are damaged or removed. So you end up with a meat puppet that performs basic autonomic life functions to keep itself alive, and nothing else. Like a human in a severe coma.

This gene-controlled route would make it so that it's an intrinsic part of the blueprint itself. By my logic, every copy of a self-aware warframe remains self-aware, because there's no lobotomy built into the genetic blueprint.

1 minute ago, AConfusedBird said:

So the actual question is: what makes these frames different from their non-self-aware brothers and sisters? 

Truly I think it's a combination of luck and the strain of Helminth at that point. We know that the Orokin had to cultivate the Helminth strain, so I wouldn't find it odd for them to reach a few 'desired' strains, with minor differences they didn't notice/care about that could contribute to the fact they maintain self-awareness.

It could be argued that strong emotion might play a part, since Conceptual Embodiment is a thing and the Warframe story has started to focus on emotions a lot more (see: Whispers in the Walls ending). While not creating anything new (at least visibly) with their emotions, all the warframes you just mentioned had some sort of powerful emotion driving them.

Dante was curious beyond belief, and it even ended up being his downfall. Perhaps his inquisitive nature kept him from going mad, until he opened that book...

Dagath was betrayed by her 'lovers' twice over. Sure, she was 'docile' after she was transformed, but they threw her away like trash. She returned and murdered them with a clear note of anger, taking their faces. If Dagath had gone full feral, it wouldn't have been so parallel to what they did to her. Dagath also wouldn't have had the conversation with Grandmother either if she wasn't thinking straight.

Kullervo was remorseful and guilty. I can't say for certain if he was fully aware before, but since he somehow accidentally slaughtered his 'mother', it suggests that his killing of the guards was more of a rampage, careless, not calculating like the Kullervo who organized his siblings for the fall of the Orokin. This suggests the powerful emotions point I mentioned, since Kullervo appears mindless prior to the murder, but cognizant after.

JADE SHADOWS SPOILERS BELOW

Spoiler

Jade was in love. She loved Sorren, and she loved her child. She held out for centuries to deliver her child, cupping Stalker's face in the exact same way she did before she was transformed. If that doesn't attest to being self-aware, nothing will convince you.

As for if the frames we craft are the same and self-aware as Umbra was, certainly not. The Sacrifice even calls Umbra 'a Warframe unlike any other'. This is why his blueprint literally recreates him, it's the same brain and everything. Everything identical to him. 

Ordis basically confirms that our usable Warframes are NOT the originals, when speaking to him as Jade:

Spoiler

"Ordis understands that this both is and is not the Jade that was lost. It does not matter, Ordis is overjoyed to see Jade again!

Ordis knows that while she is visually identical, our Jade Warframe is not the one that Sorren was in love with, the one that bore a child.