Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee And Camera Direction

shut

I greatly appreciate the option to not attack in the direction of the camera, but I noticed that the "disabled" effects are quite different from what they were before Update 11. Before, you could attack while facing any direction, but you'd still veer towards the camera unless a WASD input overrode it. I loved this.

Now, though, if you face away from the camera and attack in that same direction, you still attack in that direction.

With this new function, here's what I've been continually trying to do, but simply can't:

- In the air, changing trajectory by using a Slide Attack with the camera pointing away from your direction of motion. This is impossible with the new system, no matter what direction keys you press or where the camera faces.

- Attacking nearby enemies with the Longsword properly. Since movement is determined almost entirely by WASD keys when attacking, whenever there's an enemy right in front of the camera and my character moved sideways, I keep accidentally attacking sideways and missing them entirely, but whenever I move forwards to remedy this, I just walk right past the enemy and only land the first out of three or so hits. Then I turn around and it repeats. It's incredibly difficult to get used to.

- Altering Charge Attack arc with wide-range Heavy melees (especially the Orthos series) is incredibly difficult. The old system allowed you to simply charge an attack and then press an arrow key during the swing ("D" for Orthos) to turn mid-swing and effectively "follow through" with the attack and increase its hitbox to reach the blind spots. If you pressed S immediately after D, you could even hit quite some range behind you as well. With the new system, though, you have to press W pretty much every single time you want to do a Charge Attack, which throws off your ability to do a 90-degree follow-through and makes it nearly impossible to do a 180-degree followthrough.

- Etc.

You get the idea. Basically, while it does open up some new possibilities, the new "Don't Attack in the Direction of the Camera" removes a lot of the convenience that the old system had, and removes some abilities entirely (impossible to bypass with skill).

My suggestion is: Can we bring back the old system in the form of an option (a "middle ground", so to speak)? So you still attack in the direction of the camera, but WASD input takes priority?

Edited by SortaRandom

Didnt they add an option to auto-lock onto your camera's target for melee strikes?

It overrides WASD commands and causes longswords to swing on the spot while the enemy backpedals. You end up landing the first out of every four or so swings.

It's also a big no-no for every other weapon if you want to make the most use out of the hitboxes.