The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Galvanized Mods

(PSN)EntityPendragon

Has eveyone but me glanced over the fact that the new update page says we are getting MELEE GALVANIZED MODS LIKE BRUH!

Can't wait to see what they are gonna be, might not be that nuts but I am curious.

EDIT: I have matched the pictures of the galvanized mods and it seems that Melee Prowess, True Steel, and Reflex Coil are getting galvanized. Could be a place-holder, but it could be what it is.

Edited by (PSN)EntityPendragon
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

Tbf, this year has been excellent for melees. It has never felt so fun with Tennokai and arcanes.

Also, I edited my post as you replied. Found the possible mods that are galvanized.

Correct, by the dark ages I meant more like 2019 2020

I still remember when I opened the game and my broken war did nothing. That day changed me forever

• Like 1

For anyone wondering it's listed on this page.

https://www.warframe.com/koumei-and-the-five-fates#five-fates

If you scroll down there's a part that says "Explore the Update" with a little dropdown menu that shows there's going to be new Galvanized Mods and new Augment Mods for Hildryn, Voruna, Grendel and Gyre.

So freaking hyped Voruna's getting another Augment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

Melee Prowess, True Steel, and Reflex Coil

Anyone runs those? 

Melee Prowess: 60/60 mods are just better

True Steel: BR or Sac Steel are just better, depending which route you go. Galv will probably be worse than both BR and Sac steel, anyway. Unless it adds another effect.

Reflex Coil: maybe someone somewhere does, even though there are 2 alternatives + Tennokai

Sonsidering Galvanized mods always add additional effects, whats likely to happen is:

- Melee Prowess will provide CO (Exactly like what guns have).

- True Steel will provide a Blood Rush effect (similar to Galvanzied Scope or Galvanized Aptitude p[roviding extra CC while ADSing after Headshots and Headshot kills).

- Reflex Coil will provide extra Heavy Attack damage, Windup speed, CC or SC, or a combination of some of these.

This falls inline with how all the other Galvanized Mods work.

Pure status melee has been in a bad spot over the years (I mean weapons with like 5% crit chance, so really no option to make them hybrid properly) until Melee Influence. Melee Influence is the only thing that makes them worthwhile now which has you build for electric if the weapon doesn't innately have it, and it doesn't leave many alternatives to build them.
Galvanized Melee Prowess could help with that. On the other hand I don't think crit melee needs another buff?

Tennokai is also typically crit focused since heavy attack mods have bonuses for crit, but not status. (There's like one Tennokai that's about status but it's underwhelming comparing to the bonuses crit options get)
Some Impact to Slash proc mod like what primaries and secondaries have would help weapons with lots of Impact. Some Incarnons already have a feature like that.
Melee can't quite stack DoTS like pure status primaries or secondaries can either, since for that to work there'd need to be a "multistrike" mod, but it'd need to have a specific condition so it doesn't just buff crit melee once again.

Status focused melee weapons could use some kind of help that's not just using electric with Melee Influence.
High status on a melee that only has 1 or 2 elements feels a bit like a joke. Some shield and blade weapons have this exact problem, but it's not unique to that weapon class.
It's meant to rely on many procs of the damaging element which melee can't do because it's not fast enough nor it can multishot. Condition Overload is a miss if a weapon doesn't have IPS. Sure you can use a primer companion or primer weapon, but it should be very visible that crit needs less "crutches" to be viable.
Not to mention there are enemies which have a status number cap.

Some melee stances could also use another look, which is hopefully something DE is aware of.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

And I can already tell exalted melees will miss these nice melee buffs yet again DE WHY EXALTED WEAPONS ARE EXCLUDED IN YOUR PLAN FOR WEAPONS AS IF THEY DO NOT EXIST IN YOUR GAME?

No reason whatsoever to think that since Galv mods are already equippable on exalted ranged weapons. So it is highly likely that exalted melee will be able to equip the new galv melee mods aswell. So depending on how these mods will work, it can definently bridge the gap a bit between melee and exalted melee, though exalted melee will still lack arcanes, which makes the biggest impact atm.

I fear more that they will just bring more additive damage with their likely on-kill stacking buff, instead of increased crit and status chance, or other useful multiplicative stats.

5 hours ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

Melee Prowess

Interesting.  I wonder if DE is trying to give us more options for beefing up status beyond slapping a ton of 60/60s on our gear.  Of all of the three, this one is the one I'm most interested in.

True Steel

I wonder if it will compete with Blood Rush.

Reflex Coil

This one seems dead on arrival, at least until we know more about what its extra effects might be.  I could be completely wrong, but currently I tend to treat Heavy Attack Efficiency as a dead stat / harmless negative due to TennoKai existing.

3 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

And I can already tell exalted melees will miss these nice melee buffs yet again DE WHY EXALTED WEAPONS ARE EXCLUDED IN YOUR PLAN FOR WEAPONS AS IF THEY DO NOT EXIST IN YOUR GAME?

Beast companion weapons got a stance like mod that increases their capacity and exalteds didn't yet 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Anyone runs those? 

Melee Prowess: 60/60 mods are just better

True Steel: BR or Sac Steel are just better, depending which route you go. Galv will probably be worse than both BR and Sac steel, anyway. Unless it adds another effect.

Reflex Coil: maybe someone somewhere does, even though there are 2 alternatives + Tennokai

With expectations like that, your build potential would weaken greatly. Let them come out first before you get all meta brained. Galv mods also always have a second effect, dunno why you wouldn't think so

1 hour ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

With expectations like that, your build potential would weaken greatly.

I am not talking expectations (much). I am talking about the mods mentioned. And I am not the only one. You expected discussion, right? 

1 hour ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

Galv mods also always have a second effect, dunno why you wouldn't think so

Because they do not ALL have the second effect, actually most do not have second effect at all:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Galvanized_Chamber (mimcs Spilt chamber)

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Galvanized_Hell (mimcs Hell's Chamber)

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Galvanized_Diffusion (mimics Barrel Diffusion)

We used all those in all builds before. We replaced them with Galv versions.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Galvanized_Scope (mimics Argon Scope)

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Galvanized_Crosshairs (mimic Hydraulic Crosshairs)

We used those on special Headshot builds, but the on Kill via Headshot mechanic is extremly unrealiable (DoTs do not count), so the mods are rarely used.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Galvanized_Acceleration (combos Fatal Acceleration and variant of Sinister Reach). Very niche even oon shotguns, which are very niche. Loses with Ammo generation mods (Vigiliante Supplies/Shotgun ammo mutation), unless we talking battery.

Only 3 that have secondary effect are the so called GunCO, that are specifically used for the secondary effect and nobody used the mods they mimic before:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Rifle_Aptitude

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Shotgun_Savvy

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Sure_Shot

Same as nobody uses the mods mentioned.

Edited by Zakkhar

2 hours ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

Galv mods also always have a second effect, dunno why you wouldn't think so

I guess?  For a lot of them, the secondary effect is just a boost to the normal effect that depends on kills or some other criteria.  I wouldn't be surprised if each of these melee galvanized mods are the same- +some effect, +more of that effect for each kill for a certain amount of time.

But of course I don't know for sure!  I'm going off of the precedent that DE has set.

• Like 1

I'm more interested in stances. Melee weapons make up the largest category in the game.

This is just number tweaking which they already did. They reduced melee to 1/3 it's original damage. Duplicate brings it back to 2/3 but only for certain weapons which can both get near 100% Crit with Sac Steel and don't have crappy stance animations. The mods don't really solve my main issue with melee.

• Like 1

It's sweet to see melees finally getting galvanized mods, but they're already pretty strong without them. 

I'm just curious to see what they'll do. G-Melee Prowess will very likely get a conditional overload effect on kill and G-True Steel possibly bonus crit chance, maybe on heavy attack kills since you aren't going to get headshots with a melee weapon very often unless you use something that can score headshots easily like gunblades and Reflex Coil I'm definitely curious to see what it'll do, it'll most likely have something to do with heavy attacks?

I don't think those mods will change much in the grand scheme of things. Power isn't really what melee lacks, it just can't compete with guns' efficiency when it comes to handling multiple somewhat spread out enemies. Melee Influence and glaives and a few other niche cases get around that problem, so if they can benefit from galvanized mods the meta just gets even more meta, while everything else continues to stay behind.

10 minutes ago, vFlitz said:

I don't think those mods will change much in the grand scheme of things. Power isn't really what melee lacks, it just can't compete with guns' efficiency when it comes to handling multiple somewhat spread out enemies. Melee Influence and glaives and a few other niche cases get around that problem, so if they can benefit from galvanized mods the meta just gets even more meta, while everything else continues to stay behind.

I mean isn't that kinda the point? Guns are for range, melee is for up close and personal stuff unless you're using glaives or gunblades? You can definitely fit range mods and use melee influence to deal with further away enemies, but they aren't meant to be able to murder an entire room full of enemies at the same time?

2 minutes ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

I mean isn't that kinda the point? Guns are for range, melee is for up close and personal stuff unless you're using glaives or gunblades? You can definitely fit range mods and use melee influence to deal with further away enemies, but they aren't meant to be able to murder an entire room full of enemies at the same time?

Yeah, but Warframe predominantly revolves around killing entire rooms of enemies. Plus guns work equally well up close and from a distance, and a fair number of them can handle crowds and single targets alike. Melee is more limited, without a strong niche of its own, and hindered by additional nuisances like combo counter always being a bother if you don't run Naramon or heavy attacks being rather slow and clunky. Even if you get enemies lumped together, melee is inherently less effective against quantity due to the followthrough stat.

The best hope is one of the new arcanes giving melee something to compete with, because arcanes can have pretty unique effects instead of being a mere stat bump like the galv mods.

3 minutes ago, vFlitz said:

Yeah, but Warframe predominantly revolves around killing entire rooms of enemies. Plus guns work equally well up close and from a distance, and a fair number of them can handle crowds and single targets alike. Melee is more limited, without a strong niche of its own, and hindered by additional nuisances like combo counter always being a bother if you don't run Naramon or heavy attacks being rather slow and clunky. Even if you get enemies lumped together, melee is inherently less effective against quantity due to the followthrough stat.

The best hope is one of the new arcanes giving melee something to compete with, because arcanes can have pretty unique effects instead of being a mere stat bump like the galv mods.

Never really had any issues killing groups of enemies with melee. I tend to forget follow-through is even a thing at times because I tend to just murderize groups of enemies pretty easily with melee. Melee influence does play a big part in it because that with a high status chance weapon while hitting big crowds of enemies will just shower them with status procs, but even without it I find crowds to not be an issue for me when it comes to the killing department.

Combos can be a pain to keep up but it's pretty easy to hit max combo anyway unless you're using a really slow weapon or have negative combo count for some reason?

Unless we could just outright throw our melees to make up for the lack of range, I'm not sure what you could really do to make melees perform as well as guns. If you add an arcane that allows gives melees an edge at clearing rooms and to fix it's range issue, then probably everyone will be running it and knowing DE, it'll likely be hit with a nerf if it overperforms. I'd be down for some melee aid at least, but I don't think Melees should have the range of a gun unless we're talking gunblades or glaives?