Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Katana Weapon Please!

Hanzo29

Its not about the actual facts, go to some other forum to debate which sword design is better. What really matters is what fits into warframe, and katanas seem perfect. The skana is ugly and uneffective. And a cyberpunk esque katana would be cool. Remember how everyone *@##$ed for bows and got them? Well now we want katanas :)

Edited by Onae

An actual katana weapon MUST be sheathed and the fighting style has to involve drawing the sword with each stroke, otherwise it is literally indistinguishable from every other single-bladed one-handed sword. Kind of like

, or

Alternatively, a two-handed version is okay too, but it has to have a recognizably Japanese stance (as opposed to the very European stance we get with the Gram and Galatine). 

You're thinking of an Ia style katana, or Iato. Not all katana styles were based upon Ia, but most of them were in order to keep the admittedly fragile blade protected while it wasn't being swung.

FACTS:

1. Katanas were folded millions of times by the greatest Japanese swordsmiths which are the best in the world.

2. Each Katana is personalized to the warrior and imbued with decades of prayer before they can be used.

3. Katanas are made out of the HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN and studies have shown to be about 7000 times harder than diamond, the second strongest metal known to man.

4. In WW II, Katanas accounted for 90% of Japan's tank kills against American Shermans, because the speed of the katana leaving its sheath (by a technique called iato) creates a vacuum so powerful it slices the tanks in half from miles away.

5. If you lay a masterwork katana down in a quiet room and say a prayer to Muramasa, you can faintly hear "Through Fire and Flames" by Dragnoforce emanating from the vibrations in the blade.

mithie, i love your facts.  I also now want a katana that plays through the fire and the flames, because that would be awesome.

On the whole 'katana needs a sheath' thing - there aren't any sheathed weapons in warframe.  The closest we get are quivers for arrows, and the little pouches for throwing secondaries.  Now i am all for a katana with a sheath - it would look awesome.  But it would also need to be more than just 'make another sword model', it would need new animations for all the frames so that they can handle it.  This makes it into a very large project for a single weapon, and I'd expect it to get a low priority as a result.  Still, it would be pretty cool to have once its done.

I'm going to stop you right there.

You slam any blade into any other blade and one of them is at least going to get chipped, because you’re NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT.

Medieval European / Japanese sword-fighting manuals didn’t have “Now Clang the Swords Together and Totally Ruin Them For No Good Reason Whatsoever” sections. That sword-clanging crap is from movies because you want to show a 2 minute dancey sword-fight and have to do something during that time, because in real sword fights it’s either over in 25 seconds with one guy on the ground, dead, or it goes on for 4 hours as two guys in armor wear themselves out, slamming the broad sides of the sword against the armor.

Swords aren’t lightsabers.

This is like proving a Volkswagen Beetle is a “crap car” by running it into a bridge pylon at 85 mph. It’s a pointless demonstration, because you’re not supposed to do that.

Neither one of these weapons was invented to cut another sword in half, Both were invented to cut a GUY in half. In slightly different ways, but still.

if you are thinking I'm comparing both Sword, then you are the one comparing it.

I'm just pointing out about Katana is not "a Terrible" Sword.

Call it the Rasputin Custom, fresh from a secretive master bladesmith Tenno, in hiding from the Grineer head-hunters who seek to end both Rasputin, and his ancient blade forging technique.

And link a rescue Rasputin event to unlocking the Rasputin Armory!  Why should Darvo have all the fun?  

Edited by Rajko