Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Entry 5 - Dec 5/2013 Quick Update

[DE]Steve

Hey Steve, 

i pm'ed you a while ago and you didn't reply. 

What is with the lags and fps drops in end game? i mean playing with <10fps isn't that fun(pic related)

i1985bpuxvh.jpg

I suggested a temporary solution: where in time/wave X there is a reset or ppl get an opportunity to reset manually (just to clear the map). migration helped prio u11. 

Looking at this as well - brutal FPS - will fix.

Brief peek behind the curtain:

Welcome welcome PS4 players! Update 11 (+hotfixes) has been in cert for a week - we're pushing to get this live as soon as possible.

11.5 is looking to be quite substantial. Is that a new Warframe!? A limited chunk of the Jungle set will be rolling out with a cool new event wrapped around it! There are some cool change ups in the event like time-of-day and the use of Scanning to augment your missions.

As for me, I’ve been working on Network Optimization. Network bandwidth has been reduced 1/3rd outgoing host and less than half outgoing for a client. General improvement in smoothness as well. Very excited for this. Soon to wrap this, then I'm full speed on solving the Forma'd slot order problem that elemental combinations have created.

Ready for a mega-list of everything else that’s going on? There’s lots, get ready...

• Weapons and weapon skins - some new firing modes for added diversity!
  • Multiple resource drone deployments, coming.
  • Optional clan-specified trading tax to bulk up your Vault!
  • Gas expands and so does the Gas City tileset - art improvements, more diversity.
  • I see progress on systemic invasions & battle pay - moving this from one-off to part of the game.
  • VOIP code has been smashed into better shape with less network utilization better quality and improved threading performance.
  • Lotus voice rolling out with rerecorded, matched levels using the new dynamic DSP (instead the baffling mix of old distorted & new clean style).
  • Vay Hek is being worked on - he is a propaganda machine - I think he'll be turning out hilarious and awesome. Complete and ambitious redo of him from visuals to gameplay.
  • I shaved my beard off by accident (trimming mishap).
  • Our new UI artist started, had a meeting and we all laughed/cried at our coder-art. We reviewed player feedback about UI problems. His first project is redo the HUD... no pressure.
  • Design is still cracking away at the new damage model. We've rewritten our statistics gathering for weapons and will be chipping away at gross imbalances. Expect more changes to the resistances and immunities as we add diversity to the enemy types and take better advantage of the new damage model.
  • The Nexus app has been rewritten and includes a mobile version of the Codex. The performance issues have been resolved and now we're anxious to hook this up to your account/live data.
  • A training section is being added to the Codex to help with new players learning all the wackiness that is Warframe. This will feature simple but cool visuals as well as rewards for going through them to encourage use.
  • Ability & Sentinel Mods have been removed from the store Mod packs and Transmutation. This helps with dilution considerably. For the time being enemies will still be dropping these.
  • I see the improved Melee system being worked on as well with a lot more animation diversity and control of your moves.
  • The audio team has recorded a ton more raw sounds for future weapons - George will post about this later I think. I think I saw pressure waves from the video of the session. Wow.
  • Crazy new movement mode for U12? Can't talk about this because it may be a bust.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the terse report! Now diving back in!

More specifically at the movement mode, will there be SWIMMING?! xD

• A training section is being added to the Codex to help with new players learning all the wackiness that is Warframe. This will feature simple but cool visuals as well as rewards for going through them to encourage use.

YES!!! I love you guys! Finally an awesome training system. I am ultra excited! Can't wait to see this beautiful system implemented. Btw I hope you plan to have the Lotus point this out to noobs. Just saying.

Please look into this issue as well:

- any defence missions with a lot of mobs (let's say Xini wave 30 and above, or later waves of T3 Tower Def), i put a Vortex that starts to spinning a huge pile of mobs, i'm spraying mobs inside Vortex with Embolist, IF there's really a lot of mobs inside it - it causes host player to take a massive FPS drop or even freeze for a ~5 sec, then the game cames back alive and i find out like i'm not actually in game, though i'm still right here, here is some syndroms:

- can't deal damage to enemies - weapon, melee - nothing works

- enemies are ignoring me

- abilities looks like they applies, but they don't (like Bastille that don't hold mobs at all)

- enemy projectiles still able to damage me if i'm on their way, can get me killed as well, if i got killed - i will lying around for a few secs and then auto-revive, still without being able to do anything

Again, the most specific way to describe this - like i got disconnected, but i'm actually in game, without being able to do anything, like i'm running is some kind of ghost mode. At this time the other players see me like i'm standing still and still spraying from my Embolist in a random place.

It's specific Vortex + Embolist problem, please try to fix it w/o nerfing anything, thanks in advance.

Edited by Riccoshot

Awesome Steve, great updates ahead, thanks for all the hard work. I'm sure you've got a lot of suggestions for the forma slot problem, but if it's possible to code it so you could do this:

On a weapon without mods,

1. Right-click on a formaed slot, left click on an empty slot, move formaed slot to empty slot.

2. Right click on a formaed slot, left click on another formaed slot, switch formaed slots

That would seem to solve the problem pretty effortlessly, and make it so future revamps that might affect mod slots could also be dealt with easily.

when melee weapon have same power like all other weapons - rifle/pistols/shotguns/sentinel weapon - and can be easy use vs mobs to 50lvl? atm melee weapons are useless... weak.. dmg 2.0 not working on it, before u kill one mob others kill you. For what use melee when i can one-shoot mobs from long distance and be safe?

hope new changes will do something with melee fight.. currently "Space Ninja" only looks good there is nothing in game what ninja do ;P .. now its more like shooter :P

what!? new Warframe!?!?! was not expecting that one. sweet! 

sorry to hear about the great Beard of Steve, though

new movement, eh? like, jetpack-style movement? maybe? I'd accept a grappling hook weapon, why does valkyr get to have all the fun?

new firing modes for pre-existing weapons that are skin-based? cool, I liked the brokk hammer skin for the fragor, and I loved it when helmets had associated stats. so I'm glad to see that you aren't abandoning that extra stat customization completely. but firing modes? like changing a weapon from semi-auto to automatic? or to charged shots? I just don't really see what you mean by this. unless its like changing it to a multi-round shot or something along those lines, or reassignment of impact/puncture/slash spread based on the skin. that would be interesting, but changing everything into the ballistica would be..odd

Does this optimization also look into how being a host gives you a bad frame rate, while being a client gives perfect frame rate?

Whenever I host, I often tank down to 20 frames. When not hosting, I am running the beautiful and smooth 60.