Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nat Strict

Krjal

I get this thing at every login where it tells me to manually forward the ports because UPnP isn't working. Problem is, my router has the ports in the UPnP table and says it's working fine. I've tried manually forwarding the ports but the popup still showed up.

Any ideas?

Edit. I may have fixed this by enabling and disabling UPnP a few (1 million) times on both the router and game. I'll give it a day or two and see how it goes.

Edited by Krjal

it depends on your router type, etc.

I still have that exact problem even after I manually port forwarded. I solved it by remove and re-add the ports again.

Also from what I've seen, I can't open another game with Warframe. For example, I have GAME 1(Not Warframe) minimized, while playing Warframe, a moment later it says Strict NAt detected.

I'm not sure how that affect Warframe but I never open different game with Warframe at the same time after that.

Edited by Kimiykz

hi, i'm having the same issue as yours, could you please tell me how to forward the Ports manually ?

googled it and .. well i still can't tell how to do that

As, Kimiykz said, it primarily depends on your router brand and model. Once you know those it should be easy to find via google. If you still can't work it out, post your router model on the forum and someone will be able to help.

I still have that exact problem even after I manually port forwarded. I solved it by remove and re-add the ports again.

Also from what I've seen, I can't open another game with Warframe. For example, I have GAME 1(Not Warframe) minimized, while playing Warframe, a moment later it says Strict NAt detected.

I'm not sure how that affect Warframe but I never open different game with Warframe at the same time after that.

Hm, I wonder if that's part of the issue. I've almost always got other stuff running at the same time. I've also noticed I get more pseudo-NAT problems when I choose Oceania as my region. US West for example, while it gives me a higher ping almost never complains about the ports.

Perhaps there are server issues with this still.

Hm, I wonder if that's part of the issue. I've almost always got other stuff running at the same time. I've also noticed I get more pseudo-NAT problems when I choose Oceania as my region. US West for example, while it gives me a higher ping almost never complains about the ports.

Perhaps there are server issues with this still.

Maybe, but everything can be taken into account. It's been 5 days now without that Strict NAT popup while I run Warframe alone.

I've always been running on Oceania since day 1. Perhaps I'll go on other regions to test.

Edited by Kimiykz

Well, I can't get it to stay happy. I've started getting the popup again even when I'm running the game without any other games running. Even from a fresh restart.

It's like the game can't see that the ports are open.

Do you have more than one player one the same LAN behind the router? We've seen problems with some routers in this case -- the workaround is to change the network ports (in the settings menu) so that each person uses a different pair.

Having the NAT upnp issue at random it seems. It's fine, then error, then it goes away (I restarted computer), then it's back in the middle of a play session after successful missions.

As a brilliant LAN-whisperer, I will restart the computer again and see if it plays.

Thanks for the suggestion, Glen. I'll check with my mate when he gets home. I think there's only one other person in the house playing at the moment.

Would the issue happen when only one person is playing at a time though? The router and my computer are only showing my ip forwarding the ports.

edit. I should probably add that I can play the game fine. I don't have any apparent network issues except for the usual mediocre performance of Aussie net.

Edited by Krjal

Would the issue happen when only one person is playing at a time though? The router and my computer are only showing my ip forwarding the ports.

Hard to say how the router would behave -- on some we've seen it behave incorrectly even with manually specified rules.

I still get the ''make sure you have ports open'' even after changing ports. I also took out my router firewall AND my windows firewall. And i don't think i have anything left right now.. :D Also i opened the ports manually and they we're open to begin with. It started popping up this monday too, so that's kinda weird.

Well, ports are now different, forwarded and - as per usual - ignored by Warframe. I'm not sure what the solution is meant to be. Especially when the message comes up when I skip the router firewall entirely. Thanks for that idea btw, Torguish :)

At this point it seems like there might be something else going on but the game's detector can't tell or doesn't have the right message for it.

Edited by Krjal

Well, ports are now different, forwarded and - as per usual - ignored by Warframe. I'm not sure what the solution is meant to be. Especially when the message comes up when I skip the router firewall entirely. Thanks for that idea btw, Torguish :)

At this point it seems like there might be something else going on but the game's detector can't tell or doesn't have the right message for it.

To be clear: you're still getting Strict NAT warnings in this case? I want to be sure because all this talk about firewalls is confusing.

Sorry, yes. It's the Strict NAT warning. I only mentioned the firewall as the router lists NAT functions under that header in its config.

By skipping the firewall I meant plugging the computer directly into the modem. No router.

Hmm, sounds like either your modem is doing NAT or an upstream router is (and doing it badly). My home ISP's modem did this -- I think it was called 'bridge mode' maybe? I got on the phone with my ISP and they walked me through changing this so that my router got the 'real' public IP that my modem had.

Easy way to find out if you're still NAT'd: what is your router's external address (or PC's external address if you're plugged directly into the modem). If he address starts with "10." or "192.168." or "172.16. through 172.31." then you're being given a private subnet address and something upstream is doing NAT (presumably badly).

I don't *think* it's that, though I wouldn't put it past my ISP. My public IP is currently 114.17. etc.

When I can steel myself to brave customer service I'll give them a call and report back. They might have some suggestions about the NAT settings.

I got the router from them as well which was probably a mistake :p

edit. Ok I may have found the problem. Looks like the game was forwarding ports on the wifi IP but using data through the ethernet cable on another IP. Completely disabled wifi on the computer and it's got rid of the popup. No wonder the game was confused, I was too :p

Also should account for the weird behaviour which let me join any games despite having this warning. My setup there's probably not very common but at least there's a reason for it. I don't know how Warframe's networking works but if it's possible I guess there needs to be some sort of handling of the game connections if it's running on a rig with multiple internet connected IPs.

Edited by Krjal

So, 2 days ago, the game was fine, yesterday i logged to play and i go a nat strict message.. after that always a NAT Strict message..

I've port forwarded the ports given to me, but it still doesn't work, plus now, i can't join squads..

I've tried disabling all my firewalls, and no luck..

Edited by whitehorus