Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Many Hurdles Of A New-Ish Player

AndyChanglee

Question

Well i've used 20 of my platinum on an orikin reactor and my Loki frame is rank 18, and i've gotten my "first buy" weapons for all of the categories (Burston, Aklato, Chronus, all of which i'm satisfied with, except the aklato) all around rank 12 and i'm nearly player rank 2. I used another 20 platinum to get a weapon potato, which I haven't used yet.

So, my question is, what now? I bought an Akbolto blueprint, realizing that I need an Orokin cell (dammit saturn) and 2 boltos, so I bought a bolto blueprint, and now i need a lato and an Orokin cell and some other fancy thing. I was wondering, just how much effort one has to put into getting new things in this game.

I get the point of the long, hard grinds, but just how large is that jump, from tier 1 to tier 2 (figurative)? Maybe I just picked the wrong side-arm to build to.

Another thing, im getting slightly tired of Loki. Not bored, just tired. I have an attachment to him like one would to their first car, but sooner or later, i'm going to need a new car. I was thinking Rhino. Fits my playstyle (i've liked the tank/supp role since league and, surprisingly, halo) but the amount of damnable objects i need to get his blueprint, get more blueprints and then more orokin cells and more credits and more freaky materials that I dont have.

So again, maybe I chose the wrong frame to build into? Starting with only 2 frame slots also means that I can only have my starter, and the one that I really want. Nothing else, no training wheels, no tier 2 (figurative), nothing.

So, tldr: playing this game is like climbing a cliff face with a -30 degree angle. Rewards are great and large, but getting to them is an insane commitment. To those who haven't used platinum (or much of it) to achieve their dream frames/weapons, how did you do it? What was your second step after the baby weapons you get before moving on to venus?

Thanks for reading if you did, b/c im also simultaneously addressing a problem with warframe. I have high hopes for update 7.

25 answers to this question

I haven't personally crafted the akbolto yet, but so far all of my weapons have been relatively easy to craft aside from the boltor, which takes a lot of alloy plate. Other than that, the only issues I've had with mats thus far are rube and alloy plate, not because they are uncommon, but because they are needed by just about everything. As far as I can tell, every warframe uses the same mats for whatever reason. I think each one ends up being about 800 rube, which is doable for the first one, but after that just becomes a grind.

However, these are issues that almost everyone has pointed out, so I can only hope that DE will look into it eventualy.

Everything can be gained through grinding. If you need help grinding, or farming, for warframe blueprints, PM me.

Edit:Also Akbolto is the most exspensive weapon in game, with some around 100k credits.

Edited by Dr-Jelly

Make sure to open Earth (for Rubedo), Venus (for Alloy Plate and Rhino Parts), Jupiter (for Neural Sensors) and Uranus (for Control Module). Mars (for Morphics) as well I guess.

Let me scale it down even further, Oro-Earth(Rubedo), Vedic/Kiste-Ceres(Alloy plate), Fossa-Venus(Rhino), Themisto-Jupiter(Neural sensors), Psmathe-Uranus(Control module) and Morphics can be found anywhere.

I know how you feel about the akbolto, those were my first blueprints as well. They're probably one of the harder guns to make but I did fine in the end since I wasn't completely focused on them. I continued buying other weapons as I tried to build them. I suppose you should have multiple goals and not be too focused on a single one or you'll get burnt out.

Well you've sort of messed up by spending your platinum on catalysts instead of weapon or warframe slots. Still you can continue playing if you can cope with those conditions. Anyways, getting materials is a fairly simple matter, even for a new player. Just look at each planet and read what materials are found there (It says that ingame under the planet description) and simply make your way over there. You'll also learn that certain materials are much more rare than others (orokin cells for example) and only drop at a reasonable chance from bosses. (The saturn boss has orokin cells) Oh and be sure to open containers, resources often drop from them.

Making a warframe can be difficult at first but that's how it's supposed to be to encourage people to purchase platinum. It's hardly an impossible task and merely requires time and effort. (you'd expect that from a F2P game) You might want to do some research on good locations to obtain specific materials though.

As for choice of weapon, the Braton (Not the Braton MK-1) is a good purchase until you are able to purchase the Gorgon. The Gorgon will be able to last you for the entire game until more content is introduced although you'll want a good accurate sidearm since the Gorgon performs poorly at long ranges.

Also be sure to sell mods you don't need to accumulate enough credits. Gaining credits is incredibly easy in this game so if you're still having problems, ask on the forums for someone to take you to Xini. That place gives a lot of mods and in turn if sold, a lot of money.

Edited by Liacu

Akboltos is one of the hardest weapons to make, if not the hardest.

Oh and for how I got my stuff (I use no platinum) is very simple.

Going into venus, you really can just use what you start out with, but you can make improvements.

1. Buy a braton, burston, or strun.

2. Try and get some Aklatos.

3. Make the Cronus sword.

Once you buy a blueprint, the rest is very simple. Just head to wherever the materials you need drops, and farm 'till you have enough. Orokin cells are very rare.

Most weapons (everything, really) require 1 or 2 of a rare material. You can usually get one of these from the boss mission of the planet every run.

After that, all you need is credits. Getting credits is very easy; just sell any mods you don't need.

Hope this helped.

Edited by austinrelis

Thanks for the replies!

I thought I was pretty used to the whole grinding shenanegans, since i'm also a World of Tanks player. It took me two years to get myself the tier 6 Jagdpanzer IV, and I still have 4 tiers to go, and they get progressively harder.

I thought I was prepared, cause my friend (who gave me the keys, so he had 1000+ platinum) said it'd be at least a month until I get a new frame, and I giggled because I thought that was simple compared to what i've done but the amount needed for just the Akbolto (thanks for telling me Dr.Jelly), a sidearm, is making me queasy.

I have my trusty Burston (which is a lot more beast than I thought (i bought it cause Halo BR :D)) so i'll stick with that (you guessed right Dr.Jelly) until I get the Gorgon (which I thought of getting because it fits with rhino) but thanks for clearing everything up!

Since this game is just in early beta I guess i'll put up with the pay-to-win marketplace and the incredible grind. Thanks for the tips, i'll spread my range and try out the easier to get weapons first.

Another question on my way out: I have my chronus but its still just a tad bit better than a skana. Whats a good second buy? I'm thinking of the Bo, cause i'm a fan of kicking &#! with a pole but it looks a tad bland and i'm overall not sure (its easy to buy though, just credits)

And how's the Furis? Should I get it instead of the Lex (i'm not sure if Lex+Burston would work because I have nothing against the infested), or is the Afuris a good thing to work towards?

again, thanks for the replies!

Edited by AndyChanglee

Thanks for the replies!

I thought I was pretty used to the whole grinding shenanegans, since i'm also a World of Tanks player. It took me two years to get myself the tier 6 Jagdpanzer IV, and I still have 4 tiers to go, and they get progressively harder.

I thought I was prepared, cause my friend (who gave me the keys, so he had 1000+ platinum) said it'd be at least a month until I get a new frame, and I giggled because I thought that was simple compared to what i've done but the amount needed for just the Akbolto (thanks for telling me Dr.Jelly), a sidearm, is making me queasy.

I have my trusty Burston (which is a lot more beast than I thought (i bought it cause Halo BR :D)) so i'll stick with that (you guessed right Dr.Jelly) until I get the Gorgon (which I thought of getting because it fits with rhino) but thanks for clearing everything up!

Since this game is just in early beta I guess i'll put up with the pay-to-win marketplace and the incredible grind. Thanks for the tips, i'll spread my range and try out the easier to get weapons first.

Another question on my way out: I have my chronus but its still just a tad bit better than a skana. Whats a good second buy? I'm thinking of the Bo, cause i'm a fan of kicking &#! with a pole but it looks a tad bland and i'm overall not sure (its easy to buy though, just credits)

And how's the Furis? Should I get it instead of the Lex (i'm not sure if Lex+Burston would work because I have nothing against the infested), or is the Afuris a good thing to work towards?

again, thanks for the replies!

Do NOT get the Furis or Afuris.

I tried them and it's like a shotgun, except a lot more spread and a lot less damage and burns through ammo like a minigun. Took me literally all my ammo to kill 1 heavy grineer.

For melee I recommend saving up for the Dual Zoren. My favorite weapon in the game; have over 5000 kills with it alone.

Add me if you need any help, btw.

Edited by austinrelis

The Bo ignores armor making it a good choice for a weapon against every faction. Furis and Afuris are very good but mind the ammo remaining. The Cronus despite being early and easy to get is actually very strong with a high fire rate and good damage it's a good choice until you find something you like more. Try going around the wiki for info of weapons.

Well I love my plasma sword, which used to be extremely difficult to get, but is now extremely common. I also love my dark dagger, which is now also extremely common.

However. They might not fit your playstyle, since their normal melee damage is terrible, but their charge attacks are not too shabby (level 19 Plasma Sword, and it's already over 200) and the Dark Dagger ignores armour.

I did get the Burston, but didn't really like it. The Braton is a good idea, until you can get the Gorgon.

Bolto or Lex for pistol,

And for the frame, yes, it does take a painful amount of grinding. But that's part of the game. I do suggest leveling your Loki up to 30 by exploring more of the system, after which you'll have unlocked the missions needed to grind mats and possibly those for blueprints too, as well as having gotten some nice mods for your Loki (this normally takes a week or two, given that Update 7 is closing in, the mods might be less useful).

By then, you'll also hopefully have gotten a bit of rubedo, alloy plate and an orokin cell or two, and you'll have more of an idea where to start for your next frame.

Find a bored or nice high-level player with a tanky frame, or even just 500p3r 1337 skillz, add him and ask if he can grind with you.

That new frame will appear in what seems like no time.

Best of luck.

Find a bored or nice high-level player with a tanky frame, or even just 500p3r 1337 skillz, add him and ask if he can grind with you.

Hmm, were you directing that to me because I'm bored and nice enough to allow leechers leech me as long as they revive me.*Checks level* hmm, quite high, *checks skill* hmm, perfect.

:D experienced feedback is awesome. I think I might just wait for update 7, bound to have glorious things. Well I guess i'll just beat a bunch of levels around saturn and earth and come back to grind vandal until I can get Rhino.

Dr-Jelly, I might ask for your assistance once I feel that my body is ready.

;)

Edited by AndyChanglee

First, don't worry too much about Orokin Cells, they're not that rare and you'll have more than you need before too long.

It's a grindy game but still very fun overall and once you get a frame to 30 with decent mods it all becomes easier when you need to farm for materials or Blueprints, but the slot limits will hurt until you buy more. A small tip for material farming- don't ignore the breakable crates and lockers, they will get you as much if not more then the mobs.

As for weapons- the Boltor is a solid upgrade that you can get while you rank up for the Gorgon. It does require Alloy Plate like many other weapons though. Since you're currently using Loki the Dual Zorens can be amazing when combined with his invisibility but they require good mods so it's more of a long term investment. For the Rhino- I'd say the Gram, Scindo or Fragor would work well with the tanky playstyle and are good against Infested since you cannot be staggered while swinging. For a sidearm- the Kraken provides many of the advantages of the Lex while being better at close range.

Finally, update 7 is coming soon and with it a new mod system and probably various balance changes so take the weapon recommendations with a grain of salt.

Good Luck!

I didnt read everyones reply's but I read your post and hear is my answer. Take it slow dont overwhelm yourself with things to do because you can. Also the first weapon I really crafted and liked was the AKBolto and man let me tell you those pistols will rip through any guy pretty quick they maybe hard to get because of all the parts but I felt it was well worth it and I am actually glad I went for that first.

A new warframe was what I needed after playing my guy to rank 30 and kinda got bored of him, so I got all the parts and made Ember and let me tell you Ember is way harder than my Excal and I dont know if its just I am a rambo play style or what but I have a hard time keeping her alive. I did get the founder set so I could get new weapon slots and warframe slots havent yet decided if I will spend any plat on orokin cat or reactors yet. As of now I have plenty of reactors and low on catalysts.

There is still tons I want to do like build Mag/Ash and Frost but also update 7 is next week which will open up more levels and more warframes I might want and new weapons so I am way excited and see lots to do and tbh paying $5 US dollars for 75 plat is not a bad idea if you find you used your starter plat on things. with the 75 plat you can get 2 new warframe slots and 4 more weapons slots and still have 10 more plat for revives/rush bp build/etc... Idk about you but I find thats reasonable.

NDroid- that was pretty helpful, thanks! I guess I should save my questions until update7, watched the livestream and i'm expecting a 1Gb update :D

XArchAngel- your great experience has been noted (UPDATE 7 WILL SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS. INCLUDING CANCER)

Grindy but if you like the gameplay as much as I do, you'll only notice the grind after 4 hours or so of straight gameplay daily lmao. Or else you find no new blueprints or aquire enough materials needed for something, then it feels grindy but no worries. They will surely be adding much more new content like weapons and frames and places to explore (We need much more of these lol) :3

I actually had the similar experience when I started playing, AndyChanglee. A friend of mine was already in the beta for a while but basically had to start from scratch as well. He started out as a Volt and I started out as an Excalibur, but we both didn't like our warframes at all. So we tried to search for a way to get one that looked cool to us. 2-3 hours later, browsing the wiki a lot and looking at threads on here, we figured out it would take us atleast 2 weeks or so to get our warframe. So, we were hitting a brick wall.

On top of that, we didn't feel like leveling our warframes to rank 30 JUST to get a new warframe to level that one up from scratch again. I set my mind on Frost, and seeing as the boss that drops the blueprints for that is in a high level area, I was completely demotivated to even start playing the game.

BUT, turns out, we were wrong about a couple of things, that completely changes the perspective on how you start out on the game. One major thing is, leveling weapons and warframes is 40% of the game. It's not like 'starting over' with an entirely new character if you build a new one. Infact, it's only easier to level your second one because you also have leveled up weapons.

The other thing we misunderstood, which is related to what problem you're having, is the grind for items. We say we needed 500 materials from that in that high level system, 150 of that high leveled system, etc. We didn't even know where to start. Turns out, just play missions you CAN do and keep leveling your starting gear (as you already mentioned, your Cronus, Aklato and Burston). You'll see that once you get everything to a decent level, and you can start doing new systems, there's about 3 entire systems that have the same rank and skill requirement to actually finish after you break through that brick wall.

Now, if have that decent level you can actually slowly start doing missions which net you materials like Alloy Plates and other materials needed for the 'easy access' weapons. If you look in the system select screen you can see what resource drops in what system, so once you found a system you can finish AND drops the resource you need, do any mission you can do in that system. Keep killing enemies and keep smashing those containers, and you'll level up your current starting gear as you do this.

Based on my previous experience, looking back at my own start, I would start like this (simplified): Do all Mercury missions --> Do all Saturn missions but as soon as you can, try and start killing the boss on the "Tethys" mission. He gives tons of experience for a really low level and relatively easy mission. If you are hitting a brick wall before Tethys and want to gather experience earlier, go for Tolstoj in Mercury and level up there, to return to Tethys afterwards --> Once your warframe + weapons are a decent level (around 15-20), get a reactor on your warframe (which you already did) --> Move into Venus, which should be an absolute breeze now --> Since you've leveled up quite a bit, rank 2 should be in sight. Continue unlocking Venus and keep smashing enemies and containers. Alloy plates are what you're looking for! --> Hit Rank 2, get the Boltor. If you don't have enough alloy plates, keep doing Venus until you do --> Level up your Boltor at Tolstoj, and later on Tethys --> Use Catalyst on Boltor --> From here on out, expanding outwards should be an absolute breeze and you can lay out your own path, focusing on other guns/warframes like the Akbolto.

I chose for the Boltor in this path because on a low level it has a ridiculous DPS while staying fairly ammo efficient due to it's 100% native armor piercing, which means you don't need high level mods to get that same armor piercing. You could go for the Akbolto instead of the Boltor if you feel comfortable with relying on a pistol instead of a primary, and you're prepared to get an extra 100 alloy plates for the Akbolto (it requires 600, instead of 500 for the Boltor). Oh, and ALL bosses drop Orokin cells. So if you're leveling on either Tethys or Tolstoj, you'll get more than you'll ever need in the first place.

Do keep in mind, the above is with a lot of soloing in mind. While I struggled getting forward either solo or with my friend, some other people joined in the game and got to leech off of us. This made them capable of skipping a LOT of boring leveling AND they got credits faster through selling mods, which made them capable of getting some starting weapons (Braton is very strong early on). I do think it's a lot more satisfying to wrestle yourself through the beginning content, but you do have to have a certain mindset to actually undergo the process like that. If you aren't up for that or you don't have the time to do it like this, online mode is your friend (Again, Tethys was and still is a major exp mine for me), or even teaming up with high level characters that can let you dive straight into the high level stuff.

It has become a wall of text, but I hope it's a helpful wall of text. Sure, update 7 is going to change a lot but I know the first week of playing is the hardest to go through in terms of difficulty and possibilities. Seeing as update 7 is ATLEAST 5 days away (updates are only at Fridays), I thought I would still try and give you some information about how to start off. We're all impatient with playing video games after all. If you are still hitting a brick wall after all this information, add me ingame, and I can help you run whatever you want a few times to get you started on experience/credits.

PS: http://warframe.wiki.../WARFRAME_Wiki. Use it to see what resources you need before buying a blueprint, where that resource drops, etc. It really helps planning out the path you want to take to get that weapon or warframe you really want.

PPS: I hope it all makes sense. Posting this at 6 am or so.

Edited by aMannus

aMannus- that was indeed very helpful! What I was doing was staying in venus and attempting to farm Jackal (which isn't working out on solo :P)

I'll try moving on to Saturn and just completing missions and moving forward. Thanks for your help and detailed (yet simple) walkthrough!