Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eh...oberon...

Johto

I've gotten mine to Level 15 and potatoed him...ive leveled up all his skills and given him Focus, Continuity, and Streamline. Yea maybe i should level him up more before i make any feedback, but anyway onto the problems ive found with him.

Smite: Yea its a nice skill, and the enemy you use it on usually gets killed, But the Little seeking missile things dont really seem to seek other enemies...and when i do use it on a cluster of enemies...it doesn't really kill the other enemies around. Maybe they should travel faster, actually seek out other enemies, and do some more damage.

Hallowed Ground: Looks Cool, but damage seems underwhelming...i will further test it once i get stretch to see how far it extends, but the damage seems very low, i understand he is a "support" but i feel the damage should be higher.

Renewal: This skill is great, i feel the healing is very nice and maybe should give teammates energy as well (excluding yourself) but...the travel time of the energy orbs is slow, and if your teammates are running it takes even longer to get them. Maybe your teammates should be instantly healed instead of having slow moving orbs,

Reckoning: This skill is fine, other than the fact its just a cooler looking Mag Crush, eh...its damage isnt too high on lvl 20 enemies and above. Just like Mag Crush needs to get a damage buff, so does this but...it is the first day its out lol so yea...thats all i have to say about the skills.

What planet do you get Oberon? (sry for my noobness lol) its it on the new earth area?

It's Earth, from the boss battle against Hek. You get a blueprint for a part after the fight, replay until you have them all. Right now he's a good level for newish players to take on, so go for it!

I view him as more of a PvP Support, his abilities compliment small team and deal pretty good damage from what i've tested in pvp. They also seek in PvP so it will direct you to a hiding player. Hallowed ground can expel campers from postitions. His heal ability is very useful in the heat of battle.

WIth my natural talent I can basketball enemies with spam. In pvp it stun locks. Hes definitely more PvP viable.

Edited by Lynches

Renewal: skill is worthless right now, it never actually catches up with anyone.

Smite: I can't get it to work, standing next to enemies beating on me, I get invalid target every time.

Hallowed Ground: it's, well, I dunno. It doesn't seem to do much really.

Reckoning: it's crush, with all the same problems crush has.

Overall, they actually managed a more pointless frame than Valkyr, although like Valkyr, the look is amazing.

It's Earth, from the boss battle against Hek. You get a blueprint for a part after the fight, replay until you have them all. Right now he's a good level for newish players to take on, so go for it!

Gah I better do this quick before they buff him to Lv40 after max modded players whine too much...

I gotta say this looks like the dullest frame to play. If I want to throw a damage floor effect I've got Ember. Or better yet- Vauban who will disable the enemies in the area rather than simply deal some damage. If I want to heal I'll bring my Trinity and instantly heal/protect enemies for extended periods. And if I want a Crush/Desecrate... screw it I'll just skip the Crush and take my Nekros for health orbs.

I gotta say this looks like the dullest frame to play. If I want to throw a damage floor effect I've got Ember. Or better yet- Vauban who will disable the enemies in the area rather than simply deal some damage. If I want to heal I'll bring my Trinity and instantly heal/protect enemies for extended periods. And if I want a Crush/Desecrate... screw it I'll just skip the Crush and take my Nekros for health orbs.

He looks great though, one of the best looking frames yet.

He does play kinda dull, lacklustre maybe. Valkyr, Oberon (King of the Fairies) and Ember prime have all been superb for artwork, but suffer from lacking skills and (in Embers case) missing polarity slots.

He suffers from the syndrome that almost all "Paladin" classes have ever suffered in the videogame universe post-Warcraft:

He heals, but not as good as a healer.  He does damage, but not as good as the damage dealers.

Only one game ever got the Paladin class right.  Dungeons and Dragons.

I dont know, I fully agree some tweaks are required but, and I admit the missions Ive done havent been all that hard but, other then the peewee HoT, when timed correctly every skill has its perks.

Though the range on reckoning could be a tad larger(granted compared to ash all skills seem very limted in range), higher drop rate on the healing orbs and I wouldnt mind it having a slightly higher chance on getting energy orbs when it kills a target.

Hallowed ground has potentional but either the damage or the duration needs to be increased,  the DoT could pose as short duration trap that way.

Im sure when I get the frame higher Ill see how bad it may be but atleast for the time being Im having fun with it.

He suffers from the syndrome that almost all "Paladin" classes have ever suffered in the videogame universe post-Warcraft:

He heals, but not as good as a healer.  He does damage, but not as good as the damage dealers.

DE should have just made Oberon a team-buffing (aura) frame.  That would have actually been a unique play-style (especially if the buffs drained energy constantly, but could be turned off and on at will). 

And another thing: why the hell does DE try to make every single frame a damage-dealer?  Even frames which focus on support, healing, tanking, and crowd-control all have generic damage abilities thrown in.  Ember used to be a tank (even if it was unintentional), and now she's a DPS.  Rhino used to be a pure tank, and now he has some of the best damage abilities in the game.  Mag used to be a support class, and now she's also a DPS.  Frost and Nyx have DPS-specific abilities, despite those frames being used for completely different reasons. 

And another thing: why the hell does DE try to make every single frame a damage-dealer? 

Because WF is an extremely farm centric casual game. No real party coordination needed, just added damage. This has upsides for the solo/casual player, but I totally get what you mean.

I view him as more of a PvP Support, his abilities compliment small team and deal pretty good damage from what i've tested in pvp. They also seek in PvP so it will direct you to a hiding player. Hallowed ground can expel campers from postitions. His heal ability is very useful in the heat of battle.

WIth my natural talent I can basketball enemies with spam. In pvp it stun locks. Hes definitely more PvP viable.

This game has barely any PvP to speak of, since it's mainly a PvE game. What leap of logic pushed you to judge new frame from PvP perspective?

Only one game ever got the Paladin class right.  Dungeons and Dragons.

Keldorn is god among all Paladins, you know this to be true.

visually very good, the frame got alot of visual love just like ember prime and valkyr, which is nice. powerwise, it's a bit lackluster. it's not a frame i would take to a mid-high level defense simply because everything he can do, other frames do twice as well. want a healer? take a trinity for invinciblity, instaheal and power regen. compared to a trinity, the slow speed of the healing orbs and low healing, there just isnt any competition. 

want a damage dealer? take a rhino. or a nova. or a saryn. or an ember. or even an excalibur. they outperform the damage of the paladin any day. i have a max streamline, focus, flow, and blind rage is sitting at halfway levelled (so streamline negates the power cost increase from blind rage, but adds the damage for the powers), and even then reckoning cannot kill any enemies that are above level 25-28, yet there are other frames that can do that easily. 

smite's initial damage may kill some people, but the orbs that are launched dont do enough damage. the healing orbs are too slow. reckoning doesnt work on enemies that are knocked down/stunned/locked down by bastille etc, so is effectively wasted against most enemies since it wont work. furthermore, it has a rather short range even with max stretch, but i can deal with that if the power actually worked as intended. furthermore, it does so little damage that the added feature of health orbs dropping when an enemy dies is pointless because it wont be killing anything except level 1-20 max, defeating the purpose of the feature. 

my opinion? stop trying to make the paladin something that it's not and just make it into a damage dealer with the ability to do small squad heals. fix reckoning so it works as it should be, and increase it's damage when maxed out/combined with max focus/blind rage. it does so piss poor damage, and has no elements of crowd control in it either it doesnt fill any type of role. 

the powers look fancy, yet arent really as impressive in their actual mechanics, so people will be like "OMG THIS LOOKS AWESOME" and after the 20th time seeing someone slam enemies around and watch them get up, or put down a carpet of electricity-fire that does S#&$ damage that it's just a waste of a mod slot, people will just switch back to nova/rhino/ember etc.

the frame is definitely fun, i really do enjoy the frame, but it really needs to be tweaked. 

I've got Oberon to 30, fixed his aura slot with a Forma, and I'm about to hit 30 a second time. 

Smite: I think this joins a long list of #1 skills like Soul Punch and Freeze, leaving me wonder why it exists. Given the way damage abilities scale vs. the way gun damage scales, this is, at best, awkwardly burning up a resource to accomplish what any decent primary weapon can do in one click.

Suggestion: Add utility. Make the projectiles home, and ragdoll enemies.

Hallowed Ground: This suffers from the same problem as Smite - ability damage scaling. By the time you're off Mars, this isn't particularly dangerous to mobs. It's also a small area and chances are your teammates are just going to run right past it before it does the limited good it's capable of. It does stack with itself, but it's reduced by armor. You might as well be trying to tickle high-level mobs to death with this. 

Suggestion: Make this into an area denial ability. Remove the stacking, add a slow, and make it a large cone (or at least have the width scale with Stretch, in addition to the length), and add a small HoT to allies standing in it. It would incentivize players to work around the area, much like Frost's Snowglobe, rather than to simply run right past it.

Renewal: Given the amount of damage that can bypass shields, this is a very welcome ability. The heal is solid. I don't altogether understand the mechanics of enhancing this vis a vis healing vs. time, but it's a helpful ability.

Suggestion: Speed up the projectiles. A lot. They can't even catch sprinting teammates.

Reckoning: This feels pretty solid. While the damage isn't particularly high compared to similar AoE damage ultimates, the animation is fast, the ragdoll effect provides some crowd control on heavy mobs, and the health orbs are a nice touch. It's one of the better ultimates in the game - the closest comparison, I think, would be Rhino Stomp. Solid, dependable AoE damage and control, with a cool animation, without delving to Molecular Prime levels of cheese.

Suggestion: It's great as-is!

Overall I think Oberon's a solid frame. Definitely not a top-tier power frame like Nova or Rhino, but a good support frame that makes a good addition to the group. Other than the curse of damaging scaling rendering half of his abilities useless at higher-level play (which, let's face it: impacts most frames), he is relatively problem-free.

Edited by s3rial1