I've Got A Few Questions

Question

Just got this game tonight, Nocturne from Facepunch randomly gave me a Beta key, and I'm loving it so far. But I'm kind of confused, and I have some questions if anyone can answer them.

1) Are there going to be a bunch of pay-only items? I look in the market, and I see a bunch of them :(

2) How does loot work regarding multiplayer? Is it like Diablo 2, where whoever clicks the look (or can run up to it in this case) the fastest gets it? Or is it like Diablo 3, where everyone gets their own loot?

3) Are there going to be more areas to play in? So far (I just got onto Venus, mind you) it seems like the levels consist of the same exact map every single time. I wouldn't mind playing on the face of a desert planet, or in a city, or something.

4) Is there some sort of trading system? This game seems like it would benefit GREATLY if players could trade/sell stuff to people.

5) I can't figure out how the party system works. If I can ever find people to play with (granted it's 3 AM EST), they seem to... Follow me onto the next level that I play? But when I switched planets with both my teammates, they were gone, and I was alone.

6) Is the only way to get those Reactor thingies that upgrades your Warframe through the paid money? I can't seem to find a buyable one with the ingame currency.

7) Do we know how much content we can expect to get in the future? Is there going to be new Warframes, weapons, levels, planets, game-modes, etc? I'm not sure what's been said regarding that yet.

8) Are weapons Warframe restricted? E.G. can Excalibur use only assault rifles?

Thanks in advance! I'm loving the game so far, despite the steep learning curve regarding all the various UI systems.

17 answers to this question

Just got this game tonight, Nocturne from Facepunch randomly gave me a Beta key, and I'm loving it so far. But I'm kind of confused, and I have some questions if anyone can answer them.

1) Are there going to be a bunch of pay-only items? I look in the market, and I see a bunch of them :(

2) How does loot work regarding multiplayer? Is it like Diablo 2, where whoever clicks the look (or can run up to it in this case) the fastest gets it? Or is it like Diablo 3, where everyone gets their own loot?

3) Are there going to be more areas to play in? So far (I just got onto Venus, mind you) it seems like the levels consist of the same exact map every single time. I wouldn't mind playing on the face of a desert planet, or in a city, or something.

4) Is there some sort of trading system? This game seems like it would benefit GREATLY if players could trade/sell stuff to people.

5) I can't figure out how the party system works. If I can ever find people to play with (granted it's 3 AM EST), they seem to... Follow me onto the next level that I play? But when I switched planets with both my teammates, they were gone, and I was alone.

6) Is the only way to get those Reactor thingies that upgrades your Warframe through the paid money? I can't seem to find a buyable one with the ingame currency.

7) Do we know how much content we can expect to get in the future? Is there going to be new Warframes, weapons, levels, planets, game-modes, etc? I'm not sure what's been said regarding that yet.

8) Are weapons Warframe restricted? E.G. can Excalibur use only assault rifles?

Thanks in advance! I'm loving the game so far, despite the steep learning curve regarding all the various UI systems.

All of the Pay Only weapons are cycled through every once in a while as Blueprint items on the final pages of each tab(1)

Everyone sees the loot, and everyone can pick up their own loot. Loot is completely random upon pick up, not drop, so what you get, another person probably won't.(2)

The game runs on tilesets. What this means is that the game randomizes a certain number of rooms for each level, and puts them together. Currently there are only two tilesets: Corpus Ship, and Grineer Mining Base. There is going to be an Icy Planetside tileset in the next update, and they will steadily add more tilesets.(3)

EVENTUALLY, there will be a bartering/trading/deposit system, but they need to think of a way to do it without players manipulating the system(4)

Matchmaking is still in it's extremely early iteration. As the game gets closer to release, the groups will get more fluid.(5)

Reactors/Catalysts can be gotten in game through rare Alerts, listed in the top left corner beneath your player rank/exp when looking at the planet/star map, and through the log in rewards(Logging in seven days in a row+) but mind that both of these are EXTREMELY rare.(6)

Yes to all of that, so much yes. Right now the game is extremely unfinished as far as content goes. Lore, new tilesets, planets, and all sorts of other things are coming in the coming months(7)

There is not currently a limit to what warframes can use what weapons, and there won't ever be. However, there might be 'preferred' weapons, where you get a bonus for using weapons that the character is, lore wise, familiar with.(8)

Re: 2 - I'm not sure I agree that everyone gets their own loot. On a separate forum I asked about seeing colored spikes sticking up from the floor, and another player said they were ammo drops that I had already picked up, the spikes were so other players could see them as well. Since the color of the spike indicates the type of ammo, that implies we're all seeing the same ammo drops. Also, I often see a "sparkle" effect on the ground where I've picked up a mod, and I've always assumed this served a similar purpose, designating a spot where I've picked up a mod, but other teammates haven't yet. Of course, it might be a different mod for each player who picks it up, but that strikes me as needlessly complicating things. So I'm not sure the drops vary by player.

Re: 6 - Orokin Catalysts & Reactors are pretty hard to come by (depending on how much time you can devote to the game), and don't forget, the game only works well if we all chip in a few bucks now and then. If you're thinking about getting a particular gun, my suggestion would be; A) read up on it on the forums, reasearch it, see what folk are saying about it's strengths and weaknesses; B) if it sounds like something that would work well for you, buy it with in-game money, which can sometimes mean buying the blueprints for it and grinding for the components (check out the Warframe Wiki for the best places to grind for each resource http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki ), and; C) if you like the gun, just buy some Platinum and purchase an Orokin Catalyst for it. The upgrade is usually worth it, and the forums will usually tell you if it's not.

In general, stay plugged in to the forums. There was a (rare) misstep with the color pallette a few weeks back, and in response to it, the devs made one of the pallettes available for one Platinum for one day. I missed out on it because I didn't check in for a few days. But the devs often pop in on the forums, and they read what folk have to say, so it's a good idea to stay connected.

Of course, it might be a different mod for each player who picks it up, but that strikes me as needlessly complicating things. So I'm not sure the drops vary by player.

Yes, mods are different for each player, but this is already almost outdated info :)

As far as I know it's always of the same category, i.e. warframe, melee, rifle, shotgun or pistol mod for each player, but the mod values are randomized. So one player might pick up a 90% Gorgon multishot mod while the other only gets a 14% rifle damage mod.

It seems like I'm not the only one learning things from this thread ;)

But I'm happy to see that a good loot system was put in place. I like how, if I miss something, other people can see the mods and point them out, but I don't have to sprint to be the first one to get the mod.

Re: 2 - I'm not sure I agree that everyone gets their own loot. On a separate forum I asked about seeing colored spikes sticking up from the floor, and another player said they were ammo drops that I had already picked up, the spikes were so other players could see them as well. Since the color of the spike indicates the type of ammo, that implies we're all seeing the same ammo drops. Also, I often see a "sparkle" effect on the ground where I've picked up a mod, and I've always assumed this served a similar purpose, designating a spot where I've picked up a mod, but other teammates haven't yet. Of course, it might be a different mod for each player who picks it up, but that strikes me as needlessly complicating things. So I'm not sure the drops vary by player.

Drops on the ground show up identical for all players, i.e. ammo, resources, orbs, ..etc. From a few games with helpful players it seems the quantity of the resource picked up is the same for all players who reach the drop. The sparkle effect, if you waypoint it, will tell you that is the location for a Mod that you have picked up but at least one other Tenno on your team has not. The mod each player picks up is not identical, as I've had missions where none of my mods were shotgun related while a teammate moaned about "99 problems but getting another page full of shotgun mods ain't one".

Edited by Cakes

XP locked means your account level has to be a certain level before that blueprint/weapon is available to you. This isn't based off your warframe's level, but by your account/player level.

Account mastery is gained by mastering warframes/weapons. Ranking up your warframe usually nets you 200 mastery, a weapon usually nets you 100 mastery. So if your warframe/weapon reaches its max rank (Rank 30), it will no longer gain you account mastery.

Completing an in-game challenge gives you 500 mastery towards your warframe. I'm not 100% sure if it also applies to the three weapons you brought with you.

Whibble, it depends on the alert. MOST of them won't list an item reward, but about 30% of them will. You can check if there will be a reward by clicking on the alert from the menu in the top left, rather than the map oriented icon. Next to the monetary reward, there will also be a ? to show that it will reward an item. If you see that, go to the Alert forums on here, and check to see if the item that drops from it is something you'd want.