Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Re: Teamwork Incentives (The Community List)

Coratha

Hello again, people of the forums!

Yesterday I put out a post to talk about some concerns I had with the mechanics in the game incentivizing teamwork, and DE's design direction regarding them.

https://forums.warfr...-some-concerns/

I was surprised by the positive feedback it got (you guys are awesome), and there were so many good ideas floating around in the midst of the discussion that I thought I'd reorganize things a little. As mentioned in the previous thread, I want to complie a list of all the cool ideas we've thought of to improve the game specifically related to teamwork incentives, so that the devs have an easier time seeing and keeping track of them. The list will start off with the ideas from the old thread, but I also want to add more if you guys have them. Post your ideas below and I'll add them to the list with credit to whoever suggested it!

*Scaling difficulty level based on number of players in the mission (Buddschlumpf)

*Increased drop rate/quality when in proximity of other players (Brasten & DSMK2)

*Tweak the current EXP bonus for teamplay to be more noticable (DSMK2)

*A "Radial Callout Menu" similar to those from League of Legends and DotA (Me)

-A specific callout option for "Need Ammo!" allowing players to interact with the X button to hand over a clip of ammo in a pinch (DSMK2)

*A more traditional room-based lobby system, allowing users to create party lobbies for others to join rather than just random drop-ins, as well as the option to set the party's "goal" or "focus" (ie: "Looting", "Speed Running", "EXP Training", "Mentoring", etc). (Nokturnal)

*Ability combos between warframes, allowing specific frames to combine specific abilities to create new effects (Nokturnal)

Example Ideas:

-Excalibur's Slash Dash + Ember's Fire Blast = A flaming dash that extends the patch of fire to the area Excalibur travels (Me)

-Mag's Bullet Attractor + Volt's Shock = Turns the target into a living electromagnet that pulls and sticks other nearby enemies to it like a tether (Me)

*Toning down the Ultimate abilities of frames, so that you can't just run to the middle of a room, press 4, and wipe everything out (neKroMancer)

*A Scenario System, AKA "Mini-Missions", like a mission within a mission that pops up semi-randomly, and gives the team a new temporary objective (but does not remove the main one like an objective switch does). They only occur when the party stays together, and are more difficult to clear, but give extra rewards! (DSMK2)

Example Ideas:

-Blockade: similar in theory to a lockdown, but more serious and dangerous; the enemies construct a defensive line of barricades, soldiers, and whatever turrets, traps, and other tricks fit the faction in question. The entire blockade must be torn down to proceed (DSMK2)

-Elite Troops: like a combination of a lockdown, Blockade, and a spawn of multiple Heavy units, the players are locked in a room and ambushed by a group of the factions elite fighters (DSMK2)

-Mini Boss: the group stumbles upon an especially powerful unit. Not quite as powerful as a true boss fight, but still even stronger than the factions Heavies, the tenno must defeat this faction "leutenant" or sorts in order to proceed (Me)

-Infested Blocked Doors: a special Scenario unique to the Infested; the level is so heavily infested that the terrain itself fights back. Infested matter covers the door, forming a creature all it's own, lashing out at the tenno with tentacle attacks. The party must work together to shoot the creatures weak points to relinquish it's hold on their patch forward (DSMK2)

*More to be added soon!

Edited by Xanesh

Cool, flaming slash dash.

I read from a while ago there was some thread with cool existing combo moves, e.g. mag's bullet attractor with radial javelin takes down bosses fast.

I'm definitely in for combo moves, but seems much work to be done on developing them.

*Ability combos between warframes, allowing specific frames to combine specific abilities to create new effects (Nokturnal)

Example Ideas:

-Excalibur's Slash Dash + Ember's Fire Blast = A flaming dash that extends the patch of fire to the area Excalibur travels (Me)

-Mag's Bullet Attractor + Volt's Shock = Turns the target into a living electromagnet that pulls and sticks other nearby enemies to it like a tether (Me)

*Toning down the Ultimate abilities of frames, so that you can't just run to the middle of a room, press 4, and wipe everything out (neKroMancer)

Combine those 2 ideas into one. Only be able to clear rooms with ultimates when combined with other Ultimates.

Examples:

Frost's Avalance now just freezes everything in the radius for a duration, but if struck with Crush, Stomp, Disarm or Overload they all die.

Overload now mini-stuns everything while dealing Damage Over Time.

Crush could still just lift enemies up and deal direct damage, just toned down.

When Nyx is channeling her ult casting a single target ability on her will release it with her AoE. So shooting it with Shock, Fireball, Shuriken or Freeze will release an AoE of that element and it's corresponding effects. (Freezing the enemies, mini-stunning them, Firing Shurikens everywhere and impaling enemies or lightning everything on fire)

Even pull could be added to that list, making it so all the enemies are pulled closer to Nyx before her AoE is released.

As well as Mind Control, make it so that everything hit by the AoE is now mind controlled for a duration hehe.

Etc.

Keep that type of synergy flowing through every frame and as many abilities as possible, so that alone you're good, but together you're godlike.

Currently the only really awesome ability combo I know of is Mag's bullet attractor + Excal's javelins.

---

Edited by Nokturnal

Cool, flaming slash dash.

I read from a while ago there was some thread with cool existing combo moves, e.g. mag's bullet attractor with radial javelin takes down bosses fast.

I'm definitely in for combo moves, but seems much work to be done on developing them.

Out of all the REAL things that are posted as IDEAS for incentive to teamplay you found the least incentivising one to like?

@ Xanesh:

I have posted many of the above suggestions in various threads before, didn´t see your thread so sad I missed it.

But this is a good idea to collectively add all the ideas people have. Ofc as it stands it´s the ideas that you still find interresting so it´s not entirely objective. So far i can´t complain as it basically is the same mindset that I have myself, so far so good. I know this is already in the suggestions, but I have always liked the ELITE units in ARPG´s, such as Diablo and Torchlight. So my suggestion is add affixes to the Elite squads, besides special look in armor, they could have increased armor, healt regen (normal units don´t), shield regen, higher move speed, specific modifiers such as self destruct on death for a radial blast which makes you take cover, double movement speed and melee damage on melee specific elites and so forth.

Posted in the "old thread" so i'm just gonna dump my post here ;P

As you said it was alot of flaming about the speedrunners, but here's what i've come up with anyway.

Why not simply make it possible for a speed-runner to leave the map via the exit by him or herself? The map is NOT ended if the others choose to continue

Exit Area remake:

1: if a player reaches the exit area he/she can press a button to start a collective group exit (functions the same way the timer does now, but has to be activated)

2: an in game button is added for exiting the map. A player pushes a button in exit area -

when pushed the player is ready to leave AND IS FREE TO LEAVE THE EXIT AREA - this cancels out some of the Loki-switches that teleports you out of the exit area and takes away your

bonus at the end of count down. Also this could be used by players that would like to help others but arrive to the exit faster than others.

Ie: player 1 reaches the exit but player 4 is left behind. Player 2 then reaches the exit area but does not want to wait - starts the collective group exit. Player 3 reaches the exit area and is "home safe". The timer runs out and player 1 and 4 have not reached the exit area.

For player 1 this means he/she is safe to either exit whit the rest of the team or continue helping player 4.

For player 4 this means he/she can exit without the map bonus due to group exit, continue with player 1 (if he/she chooses so) or continue playing alone via server splitt (see below)

(3:) The automatic exit area function is still the same if all frames reach the area map ends.

...and of course. If there is a destruction countdown, reaching the exit area in the same way it is now is the only option.

To deal with elevator-frustration there could be a button the sends the elevator up/down again.

Ex.1: Player one goes up/down the elevator heading for the objective. The elevator is empty so he/she sends it down again.

Ex.2: Player 2 reaches an elevator but it isn't at his/her floor. Player 2 then hacks the pannel and the elevator comes down/up at increased speed.

(Elevators heading in the direction of the "main objective" provide a more challanging chipher but recieves additional speed bonus)

Server splitt - (a kinder way of vote-kicking)

If a team is suffering from a players play style they can ask for a "server splitt". The player that started the server split-vote can then invite the players he/she chooses. Players invited gets the option to accept or decline.

Ie. player 1 invites player 2 and 3. Player 2 accepts - player 3 now sees "would you like to continue the battle with player 1 and 2?"

If a player declines he/she will be given the option to continue with others that has not accepted or not been invited, or quit/continue alone.

Uninvited players (yeah that means your sorry &#! player 4, ;) simply continues on a copy of the map - usuall server transfer.

Another team based function could be the option to use teleports and/or team spawn points to let others catch up.

Teleports:

If a player...let's call him player 4... is left behind he or she can try to find a teleportation-station on the map. This can function in to ways.

Either you could "spawn in on a player" (takes time) or for a more co-op feel to it let your team activate a closer teleportation-station for you to arrive at (instant).

(ps: this could also open up for new gameplay styles - save your team mate/hold out for help)

Spawnpoints:

This is mostly for server splitts but can probbably function in other ways.

Let's say your buddy is left behind and a vote is cast. You want to stay and help but he/she is really far behind - this is a drag since map is mostly done. Choosing the "start at team spawnpoint" let's both (the 3) of you start together at a strategic point of the map (somewhat like a checkpoint). Not to close to the exit (team sacrifice) and not to far (for being acctually worth it).If there are 3 players the spawnpoint might be closer?

@Oktalz: It wasn't meant to be a subjective thing at all! To my knowledge I posted every suggestion that was brought up in the previous thread thus far. Also I intend to keep editing the original post in this thread to include ideas suggested form here on out. If I missed any from the old thread I'm sorry, I was scanning the thread as bets I could. Let me know which if any got left out and I'll ammend the list. All I'm trying to do here is make a unified, cohesive list of community suggestions related to a specific issue/topic; the teamwork incentives.

Also, @Lactamid: I saw your post in both this thread and the old one. I didn't miss yours, I just don't have a lot of time right this second. I'll be back at my computer in a little bit to add your ideas to the list.

@Everyone else reading this thread: In the meantime, keep posting all you want! Wether any of them actually end up in the game, this thread is all about ideas. Anything you can think of to make the game better specifically relating to teamwork incentives and rewards, post them here for the hell of it, get them some exposure. At it's best it'll gives the mods a good, large source of ideas to draw on that's collected and easy to read through. If nothing else, hey, it gives us all something constructive to chat about. :)

Be back later guys, have fun!

Edited by Xanesh