Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Suggestion) Power Synergy Mechanics

DarkenedThimble

I think warframe's Quality of Life could greatly benefit from a ME-style of power synergy between warframes. Thought I would see what the rest of the community thinks of this idea.  The idea was originally sparked in this thread:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/160318-the-lack-of-synergy-between-powers-keeping-the-game-bland-with-examples/#entry1878616

Example 1: Rhino runs into a crowd and stomps, causing enemies to float around him. Next, 'ol Maggie runs up and throws out a pull. Next thing you know, each enemy that was hit by the power combo gets turned into a concussion grenade and causes a sonic boom at their location which staggers enemies and deal a moderate amount of damage. Their bodies are then ripped backwards, colliding with and causing massive impact damage to anything they hit.

Example 1a: Of course, if Banshee was to use her Sonic Boom skill instead of Mag's pull, it would have the opposite effect. Instead of yanking enemies towards the second caster, it would rocket them outward in a 180 degree arc.

Example 2: Booben tosses down his Vortex and snatches up a couple enemies, while they are tumping around Volt could run up and use his Shock. This could supercharge each enemy in the vortex, causing the vortex to explode and sling enemies in random directions to assail nearby enemies. On impact with a solid object, each of the supercharged enemies would act as high-damage shock grenade in a small radius while at the same time sending out small tendrils of electricity to shock and stagger a slightly larger radius. 

Example 3: Banshee could run into a crowd and begin blasting dubstep, as she loves to do, and Oberon could use his Reckoning. This would cause the already violently vibrating enemies to be take a large amount of slash damage and be ripped apart, limbs and extremities flying upwards in a grand spectacle!

Example 4(from user Dipstick): If an ember uses fireblast inside of snow globe, it would instead turn into a blast effect. If instead a volt used overload inside a fireblast ring, it would shoot out lasers and do radiation damage.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism? Everything and anything is welcome and, with permission, I'll add any good ideas to the post. 

Edited by DarkenedThimble

This...

Is actually an idea that's been floating around for the longest time.

Power synergy between frames is something that has been wanted for ages.

Firstly though, they need to better synergise the powers on a single frame before looking at synergies between that frame and other frames.

I get where you're coming from, and this is the next step in keeping Warframes interesting. I just wonder if DE will ever take that step.

Personally I'd love to see some kind of Synergy between the Mag's Shield Polarize and Volt's Shock.

Shield Polarize enemies, causing their shield packs to short out and charge the air. The Volt then shocks one of those enemies, creating a lightning field in the area (DoT), or charging the area further, creating a sizeable slow field.

Lots of possibilities.

hmm this has been brought up in the forums before, and my friends and I have certainly discussed this. we did find some problems.

Funny enough though, there is some synergy. Rhino's roar can be used with any other damage ability for a greater effect. And mags bullet attractor with excals radial javelin works too I think.

Some things to look at would be the timing between two abilities to activate the combo. Who gets the kills/exp? how would client lag affect the combo? I'm sure there are other things but my brain's somewhere else at the moment.

Lastly I think DE would need to sought out Damage 2.0 and make sure everything is fine there before combos can be added 

I had something more simple in mind.

If an ember uses fireblast inside of snow globe, it would instead turn into a blast effect. If instead a volt used overload inside a fireblast ring, it would shoot out lasers and do radiation damage. This would work kinda of like the combo system in guild wars, but would be elemental based.

EDIT: Volts shield already works like the combo system in guild wars. This would just be an extension of this for more powers.

Edited by Dipstick

hmm this has been brought up in the forums before, and my friends and I have certainly discussed this. we did find some problems.

Funny enough though, there is some synergy. Rhino's roar can be used with any other damage ability for a greater effect. And mags bullet attractor with excals radial javelin works too I think.

Some things to look at would be the timing between two abilities to activate the combo. Who gets the kills/exp? how would client lag affect the combo? I'm sure there are other things but my brain's somewhere else at the moment.

Lastly I think DE would need to sought out Damage 2.0 and make sure everything is fine there before combos can be added 

You are correct, I can definitely see some issues with it... and there is ALOt of stuff that should be worked on/added into the game before a mechanic like this is viable, but it is something that would benefit the game greatly. If we can give it some gusto and get(and keep) some steam behind it there is a greater chance that the devs will take notice. No harm in fleshing it out and adding to it, yeah? :P

I had something more simple in mind.

If an ember uses fireblast inside of snow globe, it would instead turn into a blast effect. If instead a volt used overload inside a fireblast ring, it would shoot out lasers and do radiation damage. This would work kinda of like the combo system in guild wars, but would be elemental based.

EDIT: Volts shield already works like the combo system in guild wars. This would just be an extension of this for more powers.

This is actually a really good idea that didn't occur to me. Mind if I add it under Examples?

Actually, there is another example of an already existing synergy.

Loki + Vauban. This is actually two-fold.

Radial Disarm forces all ranged enemies to use melee. This causes them to run in to either Bastille's range, thus making them easier to deal with, or in to Vortex.

Radial Disarm + Bastille
Radial Disarm + Vortex.

In fact, Vortex is the better combo, as they will actually move in to it's suction range =D

Edit: As an added synergy that exists, and this one is just funny.

Banshee Sonar + Trinity Blessing = New players are gods =P

Edited by Tyroki

o0o0o0o That never occured to me before. I'll have to try that next time I get a group going. Not sure if that falls under synergy so much as tactics though. It's a very good form of indirect synergy. 

Hey, calling it now. Synergy is synergy, indirect or not =P

Actually, there is another example of an already existing synergy.

Loki + Vauban. This is actually two-fold.

Radial Disarm forces all ranged enemies to use melee. This causes them to run in to either Bastille's range, thus making them easier to deal with, or in to Vortex.

Radial Disarm + Bastille

Radial Disarm + Vortex.

In fact, Vortex is the better combo, as they will actually move in to it's suction range =D

Edit: As an added synergy that exists, and this one is just funny.

Banshee Sonar + Trinity Blessing = New players are gods =P

You could take that a step farther and throw a vortex on a decoy, ensuring everything goes into the vortex after a disarm. Then cook them with an embolist.

You are correct, I can definitely see some issues with it... and there is ALOt of stuff that should be worked on/added into the game before a mechanic like this is viable, but it is something that would benefit the game greatly. If we can give it some gusto and get(and keep) some steam behind it there is a greater chance that the devs will take notice. No harm in fleshing it out and adding to it, yeah? :P

This is actually a really good idea that didn't occur to me. Mind if I add it under Examples?

nope