Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Grineer Ground Pound Is Still A Mess

shut

This is an age-old problem that has died down over time because players have grown accustomed to seeing it and have, sadly, accepted it as part of the game.

When you fight Heavy Grineer enemies, your only choice is to stay a good distance away from them or suffer from some serious stunlocking. You can't melee them. You can't even fly over them without the shaking ground magically knocking you out of the air for no discernible reason.

There is no "skill" involved in this. The player's only choice is to keep a good distance away, or suffer the consequences. There is no "high risk high reward" way of taking on a Heavy with an available ground-pound move.

So, my question is:

WHY CAN'T WE JUMP OVER THE GROUND POUND SHOCKWAVE?

What does the inability to do so accomplish, besides frustration? It's unintuitive and discourages outside-the-box thinking. It punishes players who are trying to tactically make an enemy create a temporary vulnerability for themselves (which would work in any other game). You can do it with Shockwave MOAs. Why not Heavies?

It's really freakin' easy to avoid them for me. It's really not hard to do so. I have really powerful weapons and abilities so heavies haven't really bothered me since I was a beginner. I still get caught in one every now and then, but I don't let it bother me at all.

Well they don't spam the ability....you can bait them into using it and then close in and fight them in melee range....however, you have to kill them fast or they will eventually use it again.

Secondly, some frames have knockdown/knockback protection from certain powers...or any frame can cast a short animation power when the enemy uses the knockdown, you'll be protected from knockdown while your in your casting animation...nova's null star is such a power with a quick fast and short casting duration for example.

Third, there are mods that you can use that help resist and/or reduce knockdown/knockback.

Finally, I do agree that a ground attack should not affect players that are airborne....that is a mechanic DE should probably look to improve on when they get the time.

Edited by Krymanol

There's lots of really annoying artificial-difficulty enemies, namely: rollers, shield-lancer unavoidables, heavy gunner ground-pound unavoidables,

and my personal pet peeve that I would pay DE 100$ to remove or have immunity from, the ancient disruptor

It's really freakin' easy to avoid them for me. It's really not hard to do so. I have really powerful weapons and abilities so heavies haven't really bothered me since I was a beginner. I still get caught in one every now and then, but I don't let it bother me at all.

It's not an issue of "oMG HEAVIES ARE TOO HARD TO FACE" at all. They're cake if you keep your distance. It's an issue of the fact that fighting them is counter-intuitive. Never, in any game, should you be knocked out of the air with an earthquake attack, especially when earthquakes from other enemies (Shockwave MOAs) don't have that effect.

It punishes the player for sensibly trying to jump over the shockwave and use something like a melee slam attack, which, against Shockwave MOAs and any other earthquake-maker in any other game, works.

Edited by SortaRandom

all i want is for the Ground Pound to do a hit check at the end of the animation, not at the start. 

checking to see if the player is in range at the start of the animation means you could be anywhere in the map, several rooms away, and still get knocked down.

i should ONLY get knocked down by that Ground Smash if i'm actually in range of the blast area, and the shockwave effect hits me. 

it should be exactly the same as Shockwave MOA's in that regard. i get knocked down when the shockwave hits me, not at some predetermined time that doesn't coincide with the effects.

as for being able to jump over them, you'd be able to jump past them and avoid it if it wasn't only checking at the start of the animation.

this is the only change we really need.