Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Vs Dakra Vs Glaive Prime

Wallace24

Question

so I've been tweaking my weapon loadouts recently, trying new things, and I want to look at the melee weapon slot, now. I finally got the glaive prime BP a couple days ago, so I've been leveling up the glaive prime. before then, I was rocking out with the dakra prime. dakra prime probably looks better, but they're both fun weapons to use. so I have a couple things I'd like your input on:

• are dakra prime and glaive prime useful weapons for fairly high-end stuff? (let's say around level 40, where most non-endless content caps off)

• my intent is to potato one of these weapons, but my go-to melee weapon is the Orthos (first weapon I ever crafted, fun fact). but alas, I don't have the Orthos Prime, otherwise that would be my new weapon of choice. I generally just use normal attacks (not on glaive, obviously), so is the dakra comparable to the orthos or the orthos prime in that area?

• only 2 melee weapons have ever justified a potato (orthos and galatine), but the glaive prime has so many interesting mods that a potato on that would greatly expand its horizons. is the fun-factor greatly enhanced for this weapon if you can put all the whirlwind, power throw, rebound/quick return mods on it in addition to the typical charge mods?

• should I just wait until I get those two orthos prime blades (over-under U13?) and stick with that, or change it up and go for a different niche weapon (dakra being king of longswords at present, as it can strike multiple targets, and glaive prime just being a shinier glaive, which in itself is unique, so)

Idk, its a little silly, and I know its all about personal preference, but again, I'm changing it up, and I do enjoy all three melee weapons. dakra probably gets the edge on the coolness factor, but if I potato that, does it really crank up the power enough to kill things level 40 or so without much trouble? or would it just be a waste of a potato, and I would be left with a slightly less weak trophy item (like the majority of melee weapons)?

I'll preempt some of the melee 2.0 discussion with one additional question: is the intent of melee 2.0 to make melee weapons a viable alternative to gunplay, or is it just to make the melee system more in-depth, and not just press 'E' to hack and/or slash? should I be practicing my footwork in anticipation of elaborate sword fights?

Edited by Wallace24

10 answers to this question

Although personal, I love the Orthos Prime with Charge build. Half the damage of Galatine Charge Build, but way faster and more range.(I could post a picture of the build if interested)

Don't have dakra yet so can't comment on it.

Glaive Prime was real fun to use together with my Vectis, Shoot - Throw - Reload - Repeat.

In the end it is all personal though, normally I would not use the Glaive Prime though, just not my kind of weapon.

I had to say I had a lot of fun using Glaive prime on higher level mobs. It was actually pretty decent.

I'm not so much a fan of Darka or any other type of longsword, maybe 2.0 will make them more interesting.

So I'd recommend to either stick to Orthos and Glaive or wait for 2.0.

Dakra Prime in damage 2.0 is extremely good. Just whack on a pressure point, spoiled strike and fury then your elemental mods and you're good to go. I would even go as far to say that it's one of the best melee weapons. Remember, even though its a longsword it hits multiple targets :D 

Dakra isn't statistically the best normal-attacking weapon in the game, but its high base damage makes it extremely reliable, much more so than even the Dual Ichors.

The biggest selling point of the Dakra, though, is that since it's a longsword, you can run around freely while swinging like a madman. I built my Loki with a stamina build, so I can literally sprint at full speed while carving apart everything unfortunate to be in my path while invisible. The chasing capabilities of the Dakra Prime are unrivaled by any weapon in the game (assuming you run a relatively fast Frame such as Loki or Ash or Nekros). Currently my go-to weapon on every Frame except maybe Frost, who's pretty much too slow to utilize its chasing capabilities at all.

Orthos was the first melee weapon I obtained after crafting myself a Cronus when I first joined. I still have it, and it's an absolute beast. Definitely worth using, especially if you're able to gather enemies in one spot like Vauban or Loki.

As for Glaive Prime; how's its damage? If it's still 75, then... I'd rather stay away from it. Doesn't exactly scale very high, and Kestrel is a darn-near-direct upgrade, beating it out in everything except for flight distance. I haven't played around with a thrown melee in a while, though, so things may have changed.

Edited by SortaRandom

yeah, I thought it was odd that glaive prime has the exact same stats as the glaive, according to the codex, and it also has the same polarities. pretty sure the stats are the same, at least. I thought the glaive was fun too, and I remember almost potatoing it a while back, but I realized I never used it. so its looking like that one's off the table, I just got it to rank 30, and I think I may just leave it sit in the prime collection and gather dust

I'll keep trying for those orthos prime blades, and if we get an ETA on melee 2.0 I may just wait for that before catalyzing the dakra prime or orthos prime. but its good to know that the dakra is in fact quite usable. took DE what, 20 longswords to get it right? I kid, but we all know there are way too many melee weapons, and most of them are garbage

thanks for the input!

As for Glaive Prime; how's its damage? If it's still 75, then... I'd rather stay away from it. Doesn't exactly scale very high, and Kestrel is a darn-near-direct upgrade, beating it out in everything except for flight distance. I haven't played around with a thrown melee in a while, though, so things may have changed.

Glaive Prime actually performs very well once you start stacking charge mods. It's obviously not going to be a Galatine, but being able to consistently do 2-3k+ damage (and this is against Corpus, when you basically have to do body shots. It can be higher with headshots) at range with no ammo cost can definitely be valuable, depending on your mod setup. It's also a very fun weapon to use.

In regards to the OP's questions, the Glaive Prime actually does have differences compared to the normal Glaive, as listed below:

-Higher charge damage

-Faster flight and return speed

Slap on a Whirlwind and you can quickly throw it out, get a kill (or two or more, if you have Power Throw on), and catch it within about 2-3 seconds tops. Works very well when using primaries that have longer reload times. Use primary, throw out Glaive Prime, reload, catch and resume firing. And really, there's nothing more satisfying than cutting someone in half on the return. It's quickly become my all-time favorite melee weapon, and it's just too much fun to use. I've linked my own build below.

pEvKYj6.jpg

Edited by Vargras

i presonally love dakra prime aesthetics but i found the orthos prime more effective and fun to play (both slicing and charging).

but in my opinion the glaive prime is a really good choice to incrase your dps at all levels with a charge speed build, espcially against greener (if aiming the head) u can charge and forget while shooting with your guns.

anyway, i'll wait for melee 2.0 to award a weapon as the best

I would recommend going for the Orthos Prime. I loved the glaive and decided to go for the glaive prime. Even though the blueprint to ages to drop I'm very happy with it. I do think it flies faster than the glaive after reading mixed comments about this.

Glaive Prime actually performs very well once you start stacking charge mods. It's obviously not going to be a Galatine, but being able to consistently do 2-3k+ damage (and this is against Corpus, when you basically have to do body shots. It can be higher with headshots) at range with no ammo cost can definitely be valuable, depending on your mod setup. It's also a very fun weapon to use.

In regards to the OP's questions, the Glaive Prime actually does have differences compared to the normal Glaive, as listed below:

-Higher charge damage

-Faster flight and return speed

Slap on a Whirlwind and you can quickly throw it out, get a kill (or two or more, if you have Power Throw on), and catch it within about 2-3 seconds tops. Works very well when using primaries that have longer reload times. Use primary, throw out Glaive Prime, reload, catch and resume firing. And really, there's nothing more satisfying than cutting someone in half on the return. It's quickly become my all-time favorite melee weapon, and it's just too much fun to use. I've linked my own build below.

pEvKYj6.jpg

yes, I did check the wiki and realized my mistake, the glaive prime has higher charge damage among other things, and the charged strike is all I'd be using it for anyway. you can really fit a lot of stuff on the glaive prime with just a potato, it seems, damn. that is a tempting one. and glaive prime headshots are so satisfying

I'll probably just wait for melee 2.0, I suppose, and see what's still good after that. because all three of these prime weapons are useful, and I like using all of them as well. I'd potato the dakra and glaive prime now, but I know I'd regret it, I mean you can only have one melee weapon equipped at a time, so it would be a waste if I just potatoed all the things