The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Psychic Bolts

(PSN)Hemokinesis

So i just made a high level run with Nyx with 2 Clanmates and thougth i capture a bit of it on video for this thread.

And here it is: Nyx Absorb Endgame: (set to 720p)

http://youtu.be/9G2CblBxbSY  

Now anyone plz tell me again how this is not dealing damage to high level enemys... 

I hope Level 1300 was high enough? ;)

Edited by IamSalva

-Psychic Bolts feel really sluggish despite now being able to use them while running or shooting automatic weapons.

-Initial spread reduces effective range in tight corridors.
-Bolts thrown into walls/floor still highlight targets like mind control. Team member will learn to stop trusting your energy color and kill your healers.

-Loses on-impact effect when not hosting. It's like hearing the casings from a gatling hit the ground. Oddly satisfying.

+Point blank fire is pretty fun for me actually. It prevents you from hitting Corp helmets, lets you focus all the daggers into one chest.

I would like PB to strike instantly like Shuriken after the bolts themselves pick their targets. If that's too much make the dagger pause for a bit before targeting and firing. This lets Nyx attack from cover or around corners and feel more psychic. Attacking enemies unseen with pure mental ability. Also PB should only highlight targets on Nyx's radar.

Any damage modification should also affect its sibling, Shuriken. PB's damage raises to 400, then Shuriken deals 1000. 100% confusion chance? 100% Bleed chance for Shuriken, ect.

Edited by DarkLizalfos

So i just made a high level run with Nyx with 2 Clanmates and thougth i capture a bit of it on video for this thread.

And here it is: Nyx Absorb Endgame: (set to 720p)

http://youtu.be/9G2CblBxbSY'>http://youtu.be/9G2CblBxbSY  

Now anyone plz tell me again how this is not dealing damage to high level enemys... 

I hope Level 1300 was high enough? ;)

LOL! iirc, we were discussing how high level grineer and corpus would tear you apart before you could run in and perform it right? and even if you managed to get through, half of them would run out of range right? so not only do you post a vid about infested, the one faction that can't rip you apart from 30m away, you post a vid with a vauban holding them in place for you while your homeboys feed your absorb with high powered weapons.

yes, if you build your whole strategy around absorb and use it against the faction that's most susceptible to it, it can be a good alternative to chaos. but the same can be said about most ultimates.

LOL! iirc, we were discussing how high level grineer and corpus would tear you apart before you could run in and perform it right? and even if you managed to get through, half of them would run out of range right? so not only do you post a vid about infested, the one faction that can't rip you apart from 30m away, you post a vid with a vauban holding them in place for you while your homeboys feed your absorb with high powered weapons.

yes, if you build your whole strategy around absorb and use it against the faction that's most susceptible to it, it can be a good alternative to chaos. but the same can be said about most ultimates.

did it yesterday with 60 Waves Corpus without Vauban together with Anti Matter Drop. Worked fine too.

If it kills a lvl 1300 Infested it kills level 600 Corpus just finde, you know?

I have an idea to replace Psychic Bolts.

I don't know what to call it yet, but it's a single target skill, like Mind Control, but when you target the enemy, all the surrounding enemies (maybe 5) will suddenly turn and shoot at your target for maybe say, 10 seconds?

I think this would be a very fun skiil, it still fits with Nyx's main theme and remaining skills, and serves as a dmg ability to replace Psychic Bolts.

What do you guys think?

-Jin

I don't know what to call it yet, but it's a single target skill, like Mind Control, but when you target the enemy, all the surrounding enemies (maybe 5) will suddenly turn and shoot at your target for maybe say, 10 seconds?

I think this would be a very fun skiil, it still fits with Nyx's main theme and remaining skills, and serves as a dmg ability to replace Psychic Bolts.

What do you guys think?

-Jin

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all if Chaos didn't exist. 

Any Mind Control alternatives are completely overshadowed by Chaos. 

I will do it only for you, but only if you prmoise to answer with "Yes i was dumb, i should have just shut up if i don´t know what i am talking about" ok?

nothing I said was dumb. the fact of the matter is, chaos is pretty much always the superior cboice to absorb when it comes to fighting high level grineer/corpus. by all means, if you run into the middle of a large group of lvl 600 grineer/corpus without getting shredded to pieces, then manage to kill them with absorb, then manage to not be murdered by their friends the second you finish, all without someone else locking them down or feeding your absorb, i'll be highly impressed and admit I was wrong.

problem is, I can do all of that with chaos, from a safer distance, affecting a larger number of enemies over a wider area for a longer duration and less energy. this isn't bias, it's fact. and I don't need another frame locking them down, or feeding me damage while I do it. (cuz they do it for me) I can even pick off high priority targets at my liesure while they kill each other.

What do you guys think?

-Jin

No. Nobody takes my missile swarm away from me.

nothing I said was dumb. the fact of the matter is, chaos is pretty much always the superior cboice to absorb when it comes to fighting high level grineer/corpus. by all means, if you run into the middle of a large group of lvl 600 grineer/corpus without getting shredded to pieces, then manage to kill them with absorb, then manage to not be murdered by their friends the second you finish, all without someone else locking them down or feeding your absorb, i'll be highly impressed and admit I was wrong.

problem is, I can do all of that with chaos, from a safer distance, affecting a larger number of enemies over a wider area for a longer duration and less energy. this isn't bias, it's fact. and I don't need another frame locking them down, or feeding me damage while I do it. (cuz they do it for me) I can even pick off high priority targets at my liesure while they kill each other.

Oh yes without other Frames helping.. what good is a Ability that needs Teamwork? Its just S#&$, Teamwork in a coop game, who the hell thougth of that?

Chaos is a great CC Ability... but Absorb is a great damage amp utility for the team. Asking for it to be good without someone shooting in it is jsut dumb, its the point of it.

Yes Enemies can shoot it too but it works much much better when the team feeds damage and Nyx just transforms this damage to be AOE.

Edited by IamSalva

If absorb did not freeze you in place it would have far more utility.

Psychic bolts are atrocious and don't even fit nyx's gameplay. A simple 100% radiation proc would be fine to fix the ability, and possibly 25 cost.

Everyone here knows that you get no xp when your mind controlled enemy is killed, correct?

Oh yes without other Frames helping.. what good is a Ability that needs Teamwork? Its just S#&$, Teamwork in a coop game, who the hell thougth of that?

Chaos is a great CC Ability... but Absorb is a great damage amp utility for the team. Asking for it to be good without someone shooting in it is jsut dumb, its the point of it.

Yes Enemies can shoot it too but it works much much better when the team feeds damage and Nyx just transforms this damage to be AOE.

you started this discussion when I said there's not much point in using absorb over chaos in high level play, especially against corpus/grineer. you disagreed, so prove it. i've already said that it can be on chaos' level when your entire strategy revolves around it and your teammates prop it up with CC and damage...any ult can. but chaos doesn't need that. so here we are, put up or shutup. there's no shame in admitting you were wrong. the fact of the matter is, absorb requires too much help to be worth using over chaos, m-prime, vortex, rhino stomp, radial disarm, etc. hell, even AMD doesn't require nova to run into the middle of a pack of enemies like a dumbass and sit there for several seconds.

so if you love absorb, more power to you. I'm sure it was worth dropping a bastille and wasting a few hundred energy to kill a few enemies here and there. I'm sure your vauban thinks it did more than a single vortex and a few aoe weapons could accomplish.

I was saying they could go either way; either make psychic bolts into a badass radioactive mind-bee attack for 50 energy, or just leave it a generic damage attack but reduce the cost and add punch-through.

What about making it a chargable ability that consumes energy for range projectile count and damage/

chaos is pretty much always the superior cboice to absorb when it comes to fighting high level grineer/corpus.

All right, you already cast Chaos and can't cast it again (for the stun or otherwise).  The enemy still decided to shoot at you/a teammate/the objective.  Maybe it's a fresh spawn that isn't under Chaos, but some of the old Chaos targets are still alive which prevents a recast.  Or it just didn't get tagged by Chaos because you're a newer player (those people play the frame as well) that doesn't yet have a maxed Overextended + Reach and your Chaos doesn't yet hit the entire room and the next two over.  You already burned your single Mind Control (target cap should go up/be removed on that ability, imo) on the last guy that did this.  Now what?  This is assuming you don't have guns with enough firepower to vaporize them all instantly, because then your CC is pointless since you overgear the fight anyway.

Some kind of mild CC tagged on to Psychic Bolts would work well and make it fit Nyx a lot better.  A stun, a knockdown, a stagger, a blind.. whatever.  Something.

Edited by Vortok

All right, you already cast Chaos and can't cast it again (for the stun or otherwise).  The enemy still decided to shoot at ...You already burned your single Mind Control ...you don't have guns with enough firepower to vaporize them all instantly

If you've somehow reached a level of play where guns are irrelevant without min-maxing your Chaos, then I'd say the most reasonable course of action is to run away and work on that.

Some kind of mild CC tagged on to Psychic Bolts would work well and make it fit Nyx a lot better.  A stun, a knockdown, a stagger, a blind.. whatever.  Something.

Like...If it made them run away or cower in fear? Like, I dunno, a Phobia?  >_>

All right, you already cast Chaos and can't cast it again (for the stun or otherwise). The enemy still decided to shoot at you/a teammate/the objective. Maybe it's a fresh spawn that isn't under Chaos, but some of the old Chaos targets are still alive which prevents a recast. Or it just didn't get tagged by Chaos because you're a newer player (those people play the frame as well) that doesn't yet have a maxed Overextended + Reach and your Chaos doesn't yet hit the entire room and the next two over. You already burned your single Mind Control (target cap should go up/be removed on that ability, imo) on the last guy that did this. Now what? This is assuming you don't have guns with enough firepower to vaporize them all instantly, because then your CC is pointless since you overgear the fight anyway.

Some kind of mild CC tagged on to Psychic Bolts would work well and make it fit Nyx a lot better. A stun, a knockdown, a stagger, a blind.. whatever. Something.

agreed with momaw on his answer to this post. but to elaborate, enemies under chaos aggro to the nearest target. you shouldn't be that person. a 2 sec stun is more than enough time to make sure of this. additional spawns aggro to enemies affected by chaos. finally, though i've never found myself in this situation, (don't use duration mods on your chaos folks), if everything you said were to come to pass, i would just fall back on either shade, or shielding myself/the def target with absorb as an oh s*** button...y'know, the way I said i use it in high lvl play in the first place.

as for psychic bolts, there are plenty good suggestions in this thread. I just wish they'd pick one and implement it. as it is, I've forma'd it's skill slot off of my Nyx.

Edited by (PS4)sage042000

Here's how I would change psychic bolts:

-Very slightly faster projectiles (let's say 25% faster)

-Higher tracking angle (so you can fire them inside a corridor or launch them straight up to shoot around cover)

-More projectiles per cast (double it at least, drop the damage to compensate if necessary but I want a massive swarm of missiles)

-More vivid colours on the bolts and trails themselves.

-Change damage type to either radiation with a low proc chance (something like 3-5% - you don't want it overshadowing Chaos) or impact with a moderate proc chance (8-10%, useful for staggering enemies at long range).

Edited by DoomFruit