The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Fix(?) For Stealth

Morec0

So, as we all know, Stealth is kinda... not used ever. They WANT to make it viable, but there's not really any good idea of HOW to.

I have one: make it more forgiving.

Right now, the best option you have when you're spotted is to quickly gun down the guy running for the machine, but if you want to do that why not just play guns-blazing? No, what we need is a way to play STEALTH even AFTER the enemies have been alerted.

So I propose this:

If all enemies in the area that have seen/heard you (and only you, enemy gunfire wont count - "Bah, Bob's showing off again," thinks the random Corpus Crewman) are dead, you can go to a security consol and DEACTIVATE the alarm, sending all those enemies who were alerted but hadn't seen you yet back to their original positions.

This would encourage Stealth more because it's obviously more forgiving, but it would also make two previously useless things useful: the insta-solve cyphers you could buy in the store (you want to get those cyphers done as fast as possible when you clear the nemies out) and the silencer mods (avoid having the incoming enemies hearing your weapons and getting fully alerted). 

A clan-mate also suggested that if you can get to a Boss undetected they should be slightly weaker.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on fixing stealth. Carry on, my fellow Tenno.

Edited by Morec0

So, as we all know, Stealth is kinda... not used ever. They WANT to make it viable, but there's not really any good idea of HOW to.

I have one: make it more forgiving.

Right now, the best option you have when you're spotted is to quickly gun down the guy running for the machine, but if you want to do that why not just play guns-blazing? No, what we need is a way to play STEALTH even AFTER the enemies have been alerted.

So I propose this:

If all enemies in the area that have seen/heard you (and only you, enemy gunfire wont count - "Bah, Bob's showing off again," thinks the random Corpus Crewman) are dead, you can go to a security consol and DEACTIVATE the alarm, sending all those enemies who were alerted but hadn't seen you yet back to their original positions.

This would encourage Stealth more because it's obviously more forgiving, but it would also make two previously useless things useful: the insta-solve cyphers you could buy in the store (you want to get those cyphers done as fast as possible when you clear the nemies out) and the silencer mods (avoid having the incoming enemies hearing your weapons and getting fully alerted). 

A clan-mate also suggested that if you can get to a Boss undetected they should be slightly weaker.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on fixing stealth. Carry on, my fellow Tenno.

I heard in the last DEv Stream that they want to make Stealth more viable but have very little clue as how to do so and even less time to work on working it out. They are more focused on 2.0, the frame revamps and the addition of the new tile sets. This is a good start but there are a few more stealth problems. 

1- Alerted enemies should still be able to be stealth killed. I.E. an alerted enemy who isn't facing you should still be able to be sneaked-up on. This happens all the time with enemies peering around corners. If you can come around the other way, they still don't see you, you are right behind them but since the alarm, the execute ability is removed. Why?

2- Multiple executions don't exist: How many times (if you play stealth) do you come upon a group of enemies (patrolling Grineer) while unseen but have to wait for the group to disperse before you can eliminate a single target w/o being seen? For me, all the time. It is especially annoying cause we have "multiple target hitting weapons."

3- Silencer/Suppressors: We have mods for this, but not an actual tool/part that can be added to the weapon itself? I don't know anyone who would forfeit the absolutely necessary damage mod for the not so useful silencing mod, not a single person. If you can't kill quickly and quietly, what's the point? Taking off that damage mod would mean that your damage is less and the likelihood of an alarm sounding is greater. How does that make any sense? There should be a mod/part/whatever slot, similar to the setup of the Aura slot, to hold the silencing equipment. Even better, it should be an option in the weapon arsenal like the syandana, skins and helmets are options. If need be, they can have negative effects like, lessened range, power or accuracy.

4- Quiet Weapons: Though my point 3 would make this aspect moot, but more innately silent weapons would be nice. Also, why isn't the ballista a quiet weapon? Everything else in the game that shoots an arrow is considered a silent killer. I think even the Acrid is silent.

I think that's it for now.

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

Agreed.

Agreed.

I disagree with the silencer/suppressor idea because, while annoying, its adds an element of strategy and thinking to the system - it's not all just throw on the same S#&$ and with a silencer attached, you have to think out a new setup. I like that, some may find it annoying but I like the challenge.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I disagree with the silencer/suppressor idea because, while annoying, its adds an element of strategy and thinking to the system - it's not all just throw on the same S#&$ and with a silencer attached, you have to think out a new setup. I like that, some may find it annoying but I like the challenge.

Agreed.

I see your point. Thats why I said they could have negative multipliers, like silencers/suppressors do in actuality. I enjoy the challenge as well, which is why stealth is my favorite play style. I like to take my time and play the game as if I was actually doing it for real and always have at least one silent weapon on hand. Anyhow, if weapons had "auras" I think this point would be unnecessary as you could strap this on one or all of your weapons (depending on how the DEvs would want to work it out) and have to worry less about your setup suffering and if others had these "aura" mods they could stack to make everyone's gear more/completely silent.  But again, these are just ideas.

• 1 month later...