The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag's Pull - Proposed Rework

NikolaiLev

As with my other thread, this is a rework suggestion that, while ideally would all be implemented simultaneously, could very well stand on its own and work with Mag's existing kit.  Thus it gets its own thread.

A far simpler change than the Polarize concept, this one seeks to solve the issue of Mag having an efficient damage+AoE CC ability while replacing it with a far more interesting ability.

New ability: Manipulate.  Costs 10 energy.

Single target.  Hold down 1 and select a target.  Releasing cancels targeting.  While held, pressing fire will push the enemy away from you, ragdolling it and dealing 300 Magnetic damage.  Pressing alt-fire will pull the enemy towards you, doing the same.

This would introduce a new mechanic, allowing a single ability more versatility while remaining within a reasonable power level.

Honestly, the best thing to replace pull would be this: 

However, technology may prohibit the ability to grab an enemy telekinetically and smash him about the environment.

If you wish to remove pull and practically nerf it into a lesser ability, then crush also needs to be reworked. The cast time is very long and during the cast, mag can still be cancelled during use of skill, knocked down, killed, quite easily.

There are a number of times that using crush would not effect/stun heavy gunners and they can continuously shoot at you while you are effectively incapacitated. In addition, there is no knockdown effect and the damage is capped quite a bit in comparison to the almost overpowered rhino stomp or the quick cast aoe's of ember, saryn and so on.

Pull is quite powerful, but to completely change it to a single target skill will practically make it useless and ruin quite a bit of the ballance in skills she already has. Also, before anyone ignores the post because I have a ps4 tag, I actually play both ps4 and pc.

I think Pull should be a more diverse ability. For a quick button click Pull would work as it does now, for long press it would grip the target and ragdoll it. You would be able to control friend or foe, even movable objects like barrels to blow them up on throw. Casting cost would remain as is, but control would eat up your stamina.

Edited by tmtke

Since it's been created, Pull is an overpowered ability.  It's a cheap, efficient, AoE damage AoE CC.  And as someone who finds imbalanced games less fun than balanced ones, I'm naturally interested in thinking of ways to balance abilities while making them more fun.

I don't find Pull fun right now.  I find it generic and dull, same with Crush.

then don't use pull or crush, or just go play other frames. 

*vote pull v2*

You can go and use pull over and over on a high level napalm, and the only thing it does is dragging him down without killing him, while you can just draining your energy with it. 

that's right, pull's damage power doesn't scale, it's "pull" is the one that scale. 

If you gonna compare ability, you need to compare mag as a whole. 

is invisibility too op for 2nd ability? No, I don't think so. Since loki have no offensive's power, he deserved it. 

If you wanna nerf something, go nerf it yourself by removing pull from your own mag. 

Since it's been created, Pull is an overpowered ability.  It's a cheap, efficient, AoE damage AoE CC.  

You lost me at "since it's been created", since you clearly have not been around long enough to recall its frustrations as a low damage single-target skill.

For starters,

1) that just proves it should be used as a measuring stick for other 25 energy skills (simple concept and execution, decent damage in early levels, and viable utility in mid- to end-game) not that it's "overpowered",

2) Mag is the Caster starter so of course her first skill is going to be efficient to spam (same as half the archetype, once upon a dream), and

3) ... everything you've said about its damage is frankly just wrong since Damage 2.0.

I'd understand complaints of this caliber back when Pull was able to ignore armor and would absolutely wreck high level Grineer maps (I fondly recall destroying Kiste in the early days before the novelty was lost on me) while instantly out-scaling Crush's damage, but since Damage 2.0 made Magnetic damage really only "good" against Corpus (wherein the actual damage component is still outdone by Shield Polarize), that ceased to be a valid complaint. It now does barely more damage than Shock, and they tie if the latter procs a status.

Am I satisfied with Pull as it stands? No. The ragdoll flings enemies into the air rather than doing its namesake, which essentially makes it a gimmicky parody of itself; once upon a time, a Mag + Scythe combo was wonderful simply because you'd drag a dozen enemies to your feet and cleave through them all with a single Charge attack. I'd like to see a return to those days, when Pull was considered at its peak.

If you want it to be single-target, try Ripline. For now though, Pull has already lost the ability to hit through walls (which takes out half the fun of Corpus defenses), it doesn't need to further be "remedied".

You lost me at "since it's been created", since you clearly have not been around long enough to recall its frustrations as a low damage single-target skill.

It wasn't Pull, as it is now, when it was single-target.  I suggest not jumping to conclusions.