The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Abilities (New, Old & Mod Drops)

Shotinthedark79

I want to start off by saying that I am sick of getting tons of warframe ability cards, even more so than my plethora of ammo drums, reach, and fury mods.

1) Why are the Warframe abilities in the drop tables?

Each of the Warframes come with a card for each one of their abilities and they even made it to where you can't sell all of your ability cards. You can't trade them because nobody wants them, why would they. You can use them to fuse, but they hardly do anything. You can sell them, but you can get credits so much easier.

2) What ever happened to new abilities for Warframes?

Most people only use a couple abilities for the warframes. Now I understand that they probably haven't touched this yet because they are more focused on balancing what they already have, but why not get it in the works and balance it with the current abilities?

3) Solution for current ability drop?

Take them out. Why have so many sources for a mod NOBODY wants. Corpus crewmen drop them, who you see everywhere. Corpus snipers drop them as well, not the mention the Stalker. I mean come on, the Stalker? Tenno are suppose to fear the Stalker and his power and reap the rewards for finally defeating him, which most of the time is a Slash Dash that you already have a ton of from the Corpus.

4) Doesn't getting mods for a Warframe encourage people to try out new warframe?

Yes, it does, but after getting a handful they get the picture. Personally I think people are more likely to get a different warframe seeing other people play with different frames and seeing it in action. I have had several people say "That was awesome. What warframe is that?" New people are going to be more disappointed that they got a mod for their collection that consists of just a handful of mods that they can't even use.

5) Solution for new abilities?

In my opinion, they should make new abilities, and actually make them worth while. Something that can compete with the other tier 3 or 4 powers. Make the power rare and throw it into the drop tables. This way people don't just get what they want, they have to work for it and it will (hopefully) be worth while. Even make a truly Ultimate power that is very powerful, but give it a large amount of energy consumption and a large cool-down so they have to set it up and make it count (not just spam it).

I think that this will solve problems of people getting mods that are useless to them and also give them something else to strive for. Do yall think this is a good idea or completely off the mark? I wanna hear what other players think.

Edit: (just a comment that might get lost)

What I truly hope for is that there situational powers that do different things, rather than variations of the same type.

Personally I think Nekros is a good example of this. 1) good attack power, weak in groups 2) Decent crowd control 3) good utility 4) decent attack, draws agro.

On the other hand you have Ember: 1) single fire 2) burn faster 3) fire in one spot 4) fire around you  (just pick the best fire)

Edited by Shotinthedark79

For the new players, it can be cheaper if you upgrade your ability with other ability cards, because if you do it using fusion cores, it will cost more credits. (not SOOO MUCH MORE, but... maybe a reason why they are in the drop tables)

And oh yes, the Slash Dash from the Stalker is really annoying.

They should make them all UNCOMMON and RARE I think, that would be fine.

Edited by at35z

About the ability mod drops, the devs already stated that they will take it out of the drop tables all together in the future.

About the extra powers, It wouldn't matter if a warframe has 4 powers or 8 powers. There are only 8 mod slots and people are going to only use 1 or 2 abilities regardless because the mind set of most people is to min-max their frame to get the best use out of the most useful ability.

I d like if there was a variety of frame abilities but as of right now there a lot of frame abilities lacking and needing work and I would rather see them be refined or enhanced before they would start making some other mistakenly unimpressive and very often useless frame ability. Seems like an interesting feature in the future though, will add variety and more value to warframes.

About the ability mod drops, the devs already stated that they will take it out of the drop tables all together in the future.

About the extra powers, It wouldn't matter if a warframe has 4 powers or 8 powers. There are only 8 mod slots and people are going to only use 1 or 2 abilities regardless because the mind set of most people is to min-max their frame to get the best use out of the most useful ability.

I must have missed them talking about the taking them out.

I agree that people are still going to min max their builds, this isn't going to change that. People will always find the best. What I am hoping for is a close alternative.

What I truly hope for is that there situational powers that do different things, rather than variations of the same type.

Personally I think Nekros is a good example of this. 1) good attack power, weak in groups 2) Decent crowd control 3) good utility 4) decent attack, draws agro.

On the other hand you have Ember: 1) single fire 2) burn faster 3) fire in one spot 4) fire around you  (just pick the best fire)

Personally, I think you picked the two most egregious examples.

Yes, Ember does nothing but burn-burn-burn, and I agree this is a problem; they removed the one skill that provided variety to her skillset, and replaced it with facilitation of burning. In theory her utility is the Fire damage boost she provides, but in reality she's just a storm of stuns.

On the other hand, you're comparing her to a frame whose powers are incredibly niche and restricted, nearly useless outside of rare scenarios. Desecrate may be invaluable in Survivals (less so based on group composition, cast timing/lag, and RNG), but there are several frames with exponentially better versions of Soul Punch and Terrify (in terms of both utility and damage output), and Shadows is frequently equated to a high-cost Chaos or even Decoy.

In fact if you think about it, once damage falls off at higher levels, Nekros is in a similar boat to Ember: He's got three CCs and one support skill.

There are better examples of frames with diverse skillsets, like the three starters, Rhino, Vauban, etc., several of which are useful in multiple scenarios. I suggest using those as your measuring stick instead.