[DE]Megan

Community Melee Weapon Submissions Results!

Mios, totally not a copy of krato's blades of athena

http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Blades_of_Athena

Even if by chance the idea did come from the design of the Blades of Athena... it doesn't matter, nothing wrong with copying a template design of something else as long as it has a different concept or look and better. Alot of things are based by copying or taking ideas from other sources and turning them into something better.

so happy to see the sword n board was on the top 3, can't wait to get my hands on it! 

Hmm, regarding the shield: along with melee 2.0 will some weapons have greater defensive ability than others? Say, defending with a bo staff would be more efficent than defending with your furax. The shield being the finest defensive weapon sacrificing weapon offense hn?

Good idea? Bad idea? Apples?

sword and board for excal..... honestly it should replace the skana.... it just fits too well.

Mios... looks badass but i havent been a fan of the whips/or whip like weapons....

tonfa... look cool but .... i mean at least they look cool.

datareapers design is beast. i want it!!!

It's the most meeeeeh out of the bunch, they are nothing special. Would have been better submissions, like that epicly designed katana with with its sheath. (also i don't really like martial arts weapons)

So, has anyone else noticed that the design of the bladed tonfas makes it impractical or impossible to do many of the things that one actually does with tonfas? Besides the basic punches and elbow strikes which are fine, the blades mean that swinging strikes1 would accomplish nothing - that is, unless slapping people with the flat of a blade is an incredibly effective technique in the grim darkness of the space-future. There are also more showy techniques where one grips the main shaft of the tonfa and strikes or hooks with the handle2, which the blades also prevent.

Don't get me wrong, the basic punches and blocks and things with tonfas are great and given the quality of the other weapon animations I'm sure DE will come up with some neat stuff - but it's a little saddening that the very way the weapon is designed prevents so many of the neat and flashy things that you can do with the real thing. Immersionwise I'm pretty sure a futuristic version of a weapon should expand its possible uses, not limit them.

1 The very first technique that's shown in this video, at 1:01.

As you might imagine - and as that video actually explains - these are rather less practical in a realistic setting since the flip to switch grips carries the chance of losing the tonfa, but we're space ninjas. We'd be fine.

Edited by Thor
  • Upvote 2

So, has anyone else noticed that the design of the bladed tonfas makes it impractical or impossible to do many of the things that one actually does with tonfas? Besides the basic punches and elbow strikes which are fine, the blades mean that swinging strikes1 would accomplish nothing - that is, unless slapping people with the flat of a blade is an incredibly effective technique in the grim darkness of the space-future. There are also more showy techniques where one grips the main shaft of the tonfa and strikes or hooks with the handle2, which the blades also prevent.

Don't get me wrong, the basic punches and blocks and things with tonfas are great and given the quality of the other weapon animations I'm sure DE will come up with some neat stuff - but it's a little saddening that the very way the weapon is designed prevents so many of the neat and flashy things that you can do with the real thing. Immersionwise I'm pretty sure a futuristic version of a weapon should expand its possible uses, not limit them.

1 The very first technique that's shown in this video, at 1:01.

As you might imagine - and as that video actually explains - these are rather less practical in a realistic setting since the flip to switch grips carries the chance of losing the tonfa, but we're space ninjas. We'd be fine.

What  about Lightsaber Tonfas?

Example videos:

The Second weapon will start a category of its own. Instead of categorizing it with fist weapons, why not take advantage of the entire blade and have a slash motion extending for hand to elbow, with maximum range.

I would like a spear, so I can poke people from afar, and when they are weak I charge and thrust into them with the full force of my body mmmmm...

What  about Lightsaber Tonfas?

Example videos:

The blade of a lightsaber hasn't got a "correct" slicing directionality, so the swinging attacks work fine. The grip change is also impossible for those, but given it's a lightsaber I imagine that's not a major issue.