Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

Nova Needs Nerfing.

Guys, you're getting off topic.

The issue is that Nova is the uncontested strongest warframe at all levels of play, which especially shines at higher levels.

Generally low level players that haven't gotten past level 20 enemies might say otherwise, but inexperienced experiences are still valid. This is a discussion, after all.

Thank you.  I just find it entertaining that someone would call me a noob.

Nova simply overshadows and renders obsolete far too many frames with her sheer damage. 

Gaminus, aa3123, could you keep the topic on Nova here? 

My opinion is that the problem is not so much with M prime itself, it's just that sacrificing everything to maximize it's potential has no penalty. 
You don't need power strength to slow a room to a crawl, or duration to make it last forever. She sacrifices nothing in boosting range and efficiency, and forgoing trying to improve duration/strength.

Just allow to her be effected properly by mods(And buff Null Star to be a better option in her kit) and this whole thing might sort itself out. 

Instead of the usual "Let's nerf nova, she's way too powerful," why not look at buffing the other frames? A lot of them are in dire need of buffs. I don't think nerfing one frame is going to help with this issue because people will just go to the next most powerful frame and claim that one is OP and therefore demand a nerf until every frame becomes absolutely useless. We need buffs to lesser frames, not nerfs to the powerhouses right now.

Nova was given an indirect nerf with damage 2.0. Even on mid 20s molecular prime starts to fall off. It's really not that big of a deal. It's more effective as a debuff and a room wipe on lower levels. Let's be honest, most frames have a room wipe for lower-mid anyway. 

Antimatter drop can be insanely powerful, but it also takes a specific technique to use properly. You need to launch, prime it with bullet spray, then aim it properly. It's not just a spam attack. 

Not this thread again. She was nerfed a bit by Damage 2.0. Learn to deal with it. You won't complain when shes there for super high waves / endless survivals. 

Nova was given an indirect nerf with damage 2.0. Even on mid 20s molecular prime starts to fall off. It's really not that big of a deal. It's more effective as a debuff and a room wipe on lower levels. Let's be honest, most frames have a room wipe for lower-mid anyway. 

Antimatter drop can be insanely powerful, but it also takes a specific technique to use properly. You need to launch, prime it with bullet spray, then aim it properly. It's not just a spam attack. 

Antimatter Drop is really the best skill for Nova, personally.  But so few people know how to use it compared to MP.  I RARELY use Antimatter without powering it up.  Only time I do that is when dealing with scrub mobs or when a bunch of enemies have almost no health left and I just want to clear those.

Instead of the usual "Let's nerf nova, she's way too powerful," why not look at buffing the other frames? A lot of them are in dire need of buffs. I don't think nerfing one frame is going to help with this issue because people will just go to the next most powerful frame and claim that one is OP and therefore demand a nerf until every frame becomes absolutely useless. We need buffs to lesser frames, not nerfs to the powerhouses right now.

I concur, actually.

stop whining - it's her role, Damage dealer

trinity - healer

rhino -  tank

maybe we should nerf rhino to 100 shields? great idea? 

Yeah, but she does so much damage those roles are null because they can't tank or heal they just run and follow the explosions.  Now when people say nerf I'm pretty sure they don't want her useless.  It just gets ridiculous when you can't get a single kill, now not all players do this but enough do to make it annoying.  Maybe they could put a cooldown timer on MP or the amount of enemies it effects or reduced its range or make her more vulnerable while casting it, just something so she can't run in the middle of a group of level 30-40s hit 4 and kill everything without even worrying if you'll go down. I barely see anyone else playing nova using any of her other abilities.  Everyone jokes and goes "oh another nova thread UGGHHH" they keep popping up because it's still a problem. I think it's more the people who exploit her number 4 that is the problem but you can't fix people being A holes so nerfing (hopefully) prevents that.

Yeah, but she does so much damage those roles are null because they can't tank or heal they just run and follow the explosions.  Now when people say nerf I'm pretty sure they don't want her useless.  It just gets ridiculous when you can't get a single kill, now not all players do this but enough do to make it annoying.  Maybe they could put a cooldown timer on MP or the amount of enemies it effects or reduced its range or make her more vulnerable while casting it, just something so she can't run in the middle of a group of level 30-40s hit 4 and kill everything without even worrying if you'll go down. I barely see anyone else playing nova using any of her other abilities.  Everyone jokes and goes "oh another nova thread UGGHHH" they keep popping up because it's still a problem. I think it's more the people who exploit her number 4 that is the problem but you can't fix people being A holes so nerfing (hopefully) prevents that.

You put it well

Would you go back to your other DPS frames after using her, if you had the choice? 

She's next on my build list. Love the design, but I'm not qualified to comment on her yet. I'm just saying that from the battles I've fought where Nova's present... she dominates, to the detriment of balanced play IMHO.

*I actually feel guilty using Banshee's Sound Quake and use it sparingly to avoid irritating other players.

Edited by JayboX

She's next on my build list. Love the design, but I'm not qualified to comment on her yet. I'm just saying that from the battles I've fought where Nova's present... she dominates, to the detriment of balanced play IMHO.

*I actually feel guilty using Banshee's Sound Quake and use it sparingly to avoid irritating other players.

Soundquake is actually quite nice for us other players in many cases.  Keeps the enemies still and unable to fight for a little bit

Would you go back to your other DPS frames after using her, if you had the choice? 

I use other DPS frames over her regularly and I have all the warframes out on the PS4 (and most of the weapons).

Considering how the only reason I'm not rank 14 (max on ps4) is because I prefer the number 13.

I say it all the time when I play with my friends, Nova is one of my weakest DPS warframes.  Antimatter drop makes her a bit more powerful, but unless I'm fighting absurdly powerful enemies, there really is no need for it.

Edited by (PS4)ariaandkia

if DE nerfed every thing any players ever said need to be nerfed every thing would be trash so sick of being begging fro nerfs

we already have scotts nerf hammer at full swing lately. and more to the point why would u ask for nerfs? the last time a big part of the cumminmty asked for a nerf and got it, they nerfed it into the ground beyond the point anyone wanted. the out cry against it was great but they didnt change it for a very long time. i guess they did that to show that you shouldnt ask for nerfs, and now the new players come and dont know the history learn your facts first before you start makeing demands that will have an impact that you can barely begin to understand 

tl:dr shut up

if DE nerfed every thing any players ever said need to be nerfed every thing would be trash so sick of being begging fro nerfs

we already have scotts nerf hammer at full swing lately. and more to the point why would u ask for nerfs? the last time a big part of the cumminmty asked for a nerf and got it, they nerfed it into the ground beyond the point anyone wanted. the out cry against it was great but they didnt change it for a very long time. i guess they did that to show that you shouldnt ask for nerfs, and now the new players come and dont know the history learn your facts first before you start makeing demands that will have an impact that you can barely begin to understand 

tl:dr shut up

Exactly this.  

We already have way too many people trying to nerf everything to the ground.

A lot of the fun in this game comes from the difficulty, but a lot of it also comes from the satisfaction of seeing big amounts of death suddenly appear.

We don't need for MP to suddenly do like 1000000 healing to all enemies, speed them up to move and attack faster, and make them take 90% less damage.   Because I can so imagine DE doing that just to spite everyone asking for a Nova nerf.

(As amusing as that might be)

Edited by (PS4)ariaandkia

I think it's just the range.

The damage may stop working on level XX enemies (still higher than most, since with enough trash enemies the multiple explosions from the first few kills will be enough to set off the rest once just killing one doesn't do it), but 95% of the game content isn't that level.  Either way, I think a lot of people just like being overpowered walking apocalypses that murder everything in sight without a hint of challenge... and there's tons of ways to accomplish that pretty much everywhere even without a Nova present - so hard to say if there's really a point to 'nerfing' or not.  Ability still seems a tad strong/mindless, though.

Given the setup time of Antimatter Drop, Worm Hole being utility, and Null Star being fairly weak... she doesn't have a lot to fall back on once you look past M Prime unless the party has enough CC/damage protection to buy her time to use AMD.  Also that fact that she can't repeatedly spam it on the same enemies like a Rhino Stomp or the like - once they're primed they're primed (doesn't play particularly well with other Novas unless the content is high enough level to make AMD needed/useful).  So one way or another it clearly needs to stay fairly powerful in some fashion.

Nova fan here (and i rarely use her) and i'll say the following...

Nova is truly OP when faced against low and mid-level enemies but after level 100 her ulty is simply a debuffer and is only useful on slowing down her foes (she becomes a really fragile frame) nothing more than that. Imo it's the other frames skills that should be revisited and improved by the Devs.

The problem with Nova has nothing to do with Nova itself. It's solely on Molecular Prime. All of the other abilities are perfectly fine (although Null Star could use a buff). 

The biggest problem with Molecular Prime is not the explosion, but the sheer amount of stuff it does with the range it has. A static 50% speed reduction (including fire rate), with a 200% damage multiplier with detonation that can cause a chain reaction in a radial range of 25 meters without mods and can be cast in almost any location without line of sight. Of these things, only explosion damage, cost, and the radial range are affected by mods.

This single ability gives Nova a CC, support buff, and Damage role all in one. The best thing is to remove only one of these things, and if my opinion were to be pressed, I would say the range could afford to take a hit. She's the second fastest frame in the game along with having a high tier mobility power, a short ranged ultimate will not make her useless.

Antimatter Drop is really the best skill for Nova, personally.  But so few people know how to use it compared to MP.  I RARELY use Antimatter without powering it up.  Only time I do that is when dealing with scrub mobs or when a bunch of enemies have almost no health left and I just want to clear those.

I haven't really played nova much since damage 2.0. I've noticed she doesn't wipe all mobs anymore though. 

?I never used antimatter drop though because it didn't seem practical unless at high levels.