Nova Needs Nerfing.

I haven't really played nova much since damage 2.0. I've noticed she doesn't wipe all mobs anymore though. 

?I never used antimatter drop though because it didn't seem practical unless at high levels.

Antimatter drop is only as good as the weapon you are using.

spamming AM has been removed?

Spamming AM D does too little damage for the energy it uses.  Though there is apparently a trick where each AMD absorbs the damage from any other AMD explosion.   I think this is a glitch because it doesn't seem like it would be intended (if it is intended....   AMD might be more powerful than anyone ever realized)

Nova is incredibly fragile and her ult doesn't just kill everything at higher lvls.Why nerf the game? She's suppose to be the frame that helps everything. The way rhino doesn't die along with trinity. Instead of all these nerf warframe threads how about buff the S#&$ty ones like banshee or ember. We are suppose to be super powered space ninjas .

1. She is not OP at hi levels A: No shes not, but neither are other frames, the problem is that the levels at which Nova ceases to become OP are very high indeed. Even then her ulti is worth casting, which is not tru of many other frames. Saryn at very hi level, ulti is worthless, same with other frames. if they can be cast, they only have 1 useful effect. Rhino stomp at hi level, is only useful for 8s of crowd control. Novas ulti will still massively debuff and massively slow AND can be cast again before previous one has worn off.

2. The level of content at which Nova ceases to be unfun for others, by making them feel useless, is so high that in most Normal games, the average player is subjected to a fairly mundane experience

3. The "Glass Cannon" argument A: this is just a silly argument, because Nova has better protective stats than some frames e.g. Vauban, but she has 3 things which massively increase her durability. Firstly her slow reduces incoming damage by 50%, her speed allows her to avoid a lot of damage, lastly wormhole is a great escape route. Take Vauban on a grineer or corpus defense/survival, hes weaker than Nova, slower and dies much easier. Bastille and Vortex do indeed hold enemies, but the others shooting at you soon bring you down.

4. Nova helps you rank your stuff A: well if you believe that, your math is bad. You will rank a warframe or single weapon much faster with no Nova in the team. This is a fact!

5. Most frames only have 1 or 2 abilities worth equipping. All of Novas abilities are worth equipping. Most ultis do only one thing. Novas ulti 200% damage debuff for 60s, 50% movement speed reduction for 60s, chained explosions which do 1600 damage because of the debuff. Take Rhino a frame people say is OP Stomp lasts about 8s, it holds enemies for 8s and it does about 800 damage. It doesn't debuff, and it doesn't slow for 60s and it cant be recast until 1st one has finished. If Rhino wants to add a damage debuiff, he has to use another ability, Roar, which certainly doesn't last for 60s like MP.. Rhinos roar only boosts damage by a laughable 50%, not Novas 200% and only for 15s, not 60, with 50% less range than Novas ulti. This is just 1 example, using a comparison against a frame like Rhino that people think is OP.

6. Lastly Nova has an energy pool so hi in comparison to many other frames and her abilities are affected so little by certain dual stat corrupted mods, that these can make the situation even worse, if it could be any worse.

All of this makes it a terribly unbalanced frame and can really put off new players. Many players then start to aspire to Nova and play nothing else when they get her...which will eventually ruin the diversity of the game. I see an average (i use average, because often i see 2 or 3 Novas) of 1 Nova every game I play Now, if you do the statistics for this, it means Nova is played 25% of the time. Which isn't good when there is roughly 17 warframes and a high proportion of newer players won't have a Nova!

2 things I want to see to balance Nova and bring her a little more into line with other frames

1. Shared kills when warframe ultis kill enemies (this just elicits the changes in how people play) and makes new players happier

2. Not being able to recast prime until effect of previous prime has finished or all affected enemies are dead. For this to be successful the duration of prime will have to be reduced (which it should be anyway). I would think a hard 15s would be right. I would also love to see kills by the warframe ability ONLY give shared Warframe XP, in the same proportion as the shared kills. If weapon XP is wanted, stuff has to be killed with...well weapons, believe it or not.

With Molecular Prime No nerf to the bangs, no nerf to the slow no nerf to the massive debuff or the very large range . It becomes the same as the majority of other ultis (not spammable every few seconds). I know, I know saryn can spam every few seconds, but low energy pool, high cost, poor range and lacklustre damage make this unimportant on a frame that's hardly used.

Somehow, even this doesn't seem acceptable, it should be, but it's not. The players who use Nova most of the time, want to keep the frame ridiculously overpowered. I am not even suggesting Antimatter Drop be touched, which all Nova players say is the OP skill that should be Nerfed....oh no, I am only suggesting the MP be changed. We can leave AD exactly as it is...so how can it be a nerf.

Usually how all these threads end, is the Nova players start making yes no insult comments, this starts a back and forth that gets the thread locked...which is what they want to happen. Nova is the elephant in the room that they want us all to ignore

1. She is not OP at hi levels A: No shes not, but neither are other frames, the problem is that the levels at which Nova ceases to become OP are very high indeed. Even then her ulti is worth casting, which is not tru of many other frames. Saryn at very hi level, ulti is worthless, same with other frames. if they can be cast, they only have 1 useful effect. Rhino stomp at hi level, is only useful for 8s of crowd control. Novas ulti will still massively debuff and massively slow AND can be cast again before previous one has worn off.

2. The level of content at which Nova ceases to be unfun for others, by making them feel useless, is so high that in most Normal games, the average player is subjected to a fairly mundane experience

3. The "Glass Cannon" argument A: this is just a silly argument, because Nova has better protective stats than some frames e.g. Vauban, but she has 3 things which massively increase her durability. Firstly her slow reduces incoming damage by 50%, her speed allows her to avoid a lot of damage, lastly wormhole is a great escape route. Take Vauban on a grineer or corpus defense/survival, hes weaker than Nova, slower and dies much easier. Bastille and Vortex do indeed hold enemies, but the others shooting at you soon bring you down.

4. Nova helps you rank your stuff A: well if you believe that, your math is bad. You will rank a warframe or single weapon much faster with no Nova in the team. This is a fact!

5. Most frames only have 1 or 2 abilities worth equipping. All of Novas abilities are worth equipping. Most ultis do only one thing. Novas ulti 200% damage debuff for 60s, 50% movement speed reduction for 60s, chained explosions which do 1600 damage because of the debuff. Take Rhino a frame people say is OP Stomp lasts about 8s, it holds enemies for 8s and it does about 800 damage. It doesn't debuff, and it doesn't slow for 60s and it cant be recast until 1st one has finished. If Rhino wants to add a damage debuiff, he has to use another ability, Roar, which certainly doesn't last for 60s like MP.. Rhinos roar only boosts damage by a laughable 50%, not Novas 200% and only for 15s, not 60, with 50% less range than Novas ulti. This is just 1 example, using a comparison against a frame like Rhino that people think is OP.

6. Lastly Nova has an energy pool so hi in comparison to many other frames and her abilities are affected so little by certain dual stat corrupted mods, that these can make the situation even worse, if it could be any worse.

All of this makes it a terribly unbalanced frame and can really put off new players. Many players then start to aspire to Nova and play nothing else when they get her...which will eventually ruin the diversity of the game. I see an average (i use average, because often i see 2 or 3 Novas) of 1 Nova every game I play Now, if you do the statistics for this, it means Nova is played 25% of the time. Which isn't good when there is roughly 17 warframes and a high proportion of newer players won't have a Nova!

2 things I want to see to balance Nova and bring her a little more into line with other frames

1. Shared kills when warframe ultis kill enemies (this just elicits the changes in how people play) and makes new players happier

2. Not being able to recast prime until effect of previous prime has finished or all affected enemies are dead. For this to be successful the duration of prime will have to be reduced (which it should be anyway). I would think a hard 15s would be right. I would also love to see kills by the warframe ability ONLY give shared Warframe XP, in the same proportion as the shared kills. If weapon XP is wanted, stuff has to be killed with...well weapons, believe it or not.

With Molecular Prime No nerf to the bangs, no nerf to the slow no nerf to the massive debuff or the very large range . It becomes the same as the majority of other ultis (not spammable every few seconds). I know, I know saryn can spam every few seconds, but low energy pool, high cost, poor range and lacklustre damage make this unimportant on a frame that's hardly used.

Somehow, even this doesn't seem acceptable, it should be, but it's not. The players who use Nova most of the time, want to keep the frame ridiculously overpowered. I am not even suggesting Antimatter Drop be touched, which all Nova players say is the OP skill that should be Nerfed....oh no, I am only suggesting the MP be changed. We can leave AD exactly as it is...so how can it be a nerf.

Usually how all these threads end, is the Nova players start making yes no insult comments, this starts a back and forth that gets the thread locked...which is what they want to happen. Nova is the elephant in the room that they want us all to ignore

1.  A lot of other frames have really good other skills that work very well.  Better than Nova's CC abilities depending on how they are used.

2. This might be true about the "feeling useless" part.

3.  Agreed.  She is not a glass cannon.

4. She does help you rank your stuff.  Now, this is conditional obviously.  If you want to rank up multiple items, having someone else do the kills is better.  If you want to rank up a single item, then you want the kills.

5. I'd say that Null Star is really not worth keeping if you want to go there.  Rhino's stomp would be OP if it could be spammed.  The only thing stopping it from being OP is the cooldown.  However, Rhino's stomp also completely freezes the enemy which can be better depending on the situation.  Granted, that is situational, but even so.  And a lot of skills most people 

6. Her energy pool being high is only an extra 75 energy unbuffed.

Now, here is a little interesting thing:  I've outdamaged AND outkilled Novas with very low rank warframes (forma'ed though).   And it isn't just one warframe, but almost any of my "nuker" warframes can manage it depending on what I'm fighting.  Thing is? Nova is the best OVERALL nuker.  There are other warframes that are better than her in terms of fighting specific enemies.

Heck, on a good day, my Loki can outdamage and outkill a Nova (loki having run speed and invisibility and decoy and switch teleport and radial disarm).

As for the balancing thing:

1. Kills go to most damage to the enemy instead of final hit.  This would make it so that Nova's ability doesn't "steal" all the kills.

1b. Have Nova's damage hit last consistently.  If a multi-hit nuke skill hits all enemies, Nova's damage should consistently be the last hit on all of them, regardless of position (right now, it seems that outside of the first enemy hit, it is not consistent whether Nova's damage hits first or last for kill calculation)

2. Shared EXP, personally, should stay how it is.  As for MP not being recastable until the effect ends or all affected enemies are dead...  I'd rather not see that change.  If anything, lower her MP pool.  Funny how despite not using Nova most of the time, I still want her to stay the same?

Edited by (PS4)ariaandkia

Molecular prime is simply too powerful.  It saps all of the challenge out of the game and devalues other warframes such as Saryn(when was the last time you used or saw one when a Nova was available?), Ember, Volt, Banshee and all that will follow. 

Her ability is literally Press 4 to Win Fight - Nova has taken over all of the roles where other crowd control Warframes are involved.  Why use a Nyx when you have a Nova, save for t3 defenses?  Her ultimate makes Nekros's ult unusable.  She gets all of the kills, not like those matter but nonetheless. 

Something needs to be done.

Saryn has crowd control?  The issues you're looking at have only to do with the lack of utility that the other warframes generally bring to the high level missions.  Nekros' ultimate isn't as good for crowd control or damage, it's good when you selectively kill Ancient healers or Shield Drones but otherwise doesn't provide much utility for the numbers (and it clogs up the minimap with a bunch of green dots).  Nyx has her own uses, and you can have a Nyx AND a Nova (nothing is forcing the team to only bring one).

Also, does it really matter to you so much who gets the "kills" when the objective is to keep the pod/artifact intact?  You're looking at the results tab too much.

If anything, Saryn's issue is that molt lacks the same mechanics as decoy, and that her ultimate isn't very strong and limited to a smaller radius.

Instead of the usual "Let's nerf nova, she's way too powerful," why not look at buffing the other frames? A lot of them are in dire need of buffs. I don't think nerfing one frame is going to help with this issue because people will just go to the next most powerful frame and claim that one is OP and therefore demand a nerf until every frame becomes absolutely useless. We need buffs to lesser frames, not nerfs to the powerhouses right now.

Most people who say this have no idea how anything works in game balance. The only way I would like to see buffing done in the game is if a piece of content is underpowered in relation to everything else, or is just downright useless with no practical use. The second part is what is going on here, not the numbers being to low. I honestly find this argument painful to look at.

"I dun want DE to touch dis item cuz itz *Insert opinion here* so we shud just buffs everyting else!!11!!"

Every argument ever in these threads-

1- We need moar buffs cuz maple story

2.- ewww, one of these thread, cancer *funny memes*

3.- ur just a n00b who thinks that nova is OP

3- I outkill novas all da time! (so? I can guarantee you that if you put a perfect AI into the game as a nova, and as a sayrn for example, the nova would win 100% of the time. To add onto that, it isn't even about kills. It is about balance)

4- I am allergic to nerfs and hearing that word makes me go into a seizure

5- I don't care if she grossly overpowers the other frames who deal damage, has twice to three times the crowd control, and is the second fastest frame, she is totally fine.

6- Glass cannon, hurrdurr I is smart (this is factually wrong)

Really cmon guys, it is so painfully obvious that she is leagues better than the other nuking frames. I fully support her remaining as the antimatter nuking warframe she should be, but get that CC S#&$ off of her.

I mean, if you use a weapon, AMD, and MP, your total damage can come out to 100k damage, which is just mind @(*()$ly dumb. If you are going to have that, it shouldn't have slowdown, nor should she have such insane range.

It feels like because people hear the word PvE, they think the de facto balancing being done should only be buffs, nothing else. Because lets face it, whats the difference between new content your old content can't stand up to, vs a nerf to it? A span of time and way more severe consequences, including a much more hard hitting nerf, and a large dose of powercreep.

You guys act like nerfing is bad, when it really isn't. Game balance is a thing, there are multiple parts of it, and it isn't just about You.

Saryn has crowd control?  The issues you're looking at have only to do with the lack of utility that the other warframes generally bring to the high level missions.  Nekros' ultimate isn't as good for crowd control or damage, it's good when you selectively kill Ancient healers or Shield Drones but otherwise doesn't provide much utility for the numbers (and it clogs up the minimap with a bunch of green dots).  Nyx has her own uses, and you can have a Nyx AND a Nova (nothing is forcing the team to only bring one).

Also, does it really matter to you so much who gets the "kills" when the objective is to keep the pod/artifact intact?  You're looking at the results tab too much.

If anything, Saryn's issue is that molt lacks the same mechanics as decoy, and that her ultimate isn't very strong and limited to a smaller radius.

Saryn does have reasonable crowd damage, but lacks good crowd control (I don't count molt as good CC the way it is at this time).

PERSONALLY, I think people look at the results way too much.  The KILLS leaderboard should never have existed.  Kills should never have been something to consider in.  I am MORE than happy to run missions where I get 0 kills and one person gets like 90% of the damage.

===

Ummm... when I (and many other players I know) can regularly outdamage+outkill novas?  I don't think she outclasses every other nuking frame.  She outclasses every other nuking frame as an OVERALL nuker.  Specialized nuker warframes specifically set up against a single faction will still beat her in nuking against that faction.   What makes her special is that she is good against all factions about equally while other warframes that are more specialized will be weaker against certain factions.

And again, this is coming from someone who doesn't main a Nova.  I still don't want Nova nerfed despite only using her when required by a keyholder.

Personally, if Nova needs to be nerfed, take the damage out of her MP.  Keep the debuffs, get rid of the damage.  There, massive nerf while still keeping her viable.

Specialized nuker warframes specifically set up against a single faction will still beat her in nuking against that faction.   What makes her special is that she is good against all factions about equally while other warframes that are more specialized will be weaker against certain factions.

And again, this is coming from someone who doesn't main a Nova.  I still don't want Nova nerfed despite only using her when required by a keyholder.

Except it isn't that way. I can give you some math to disprove that if you would like, but you should know it is far from it.

Geez, people make comparisons to other frames but that's simply poor argument on their part.  Ember was never good in any way shape or form, doesn't stop players from using her, and I won't restrict anyone in my group from using her either.  Saryn was never popular, she was good but with damage 2.0 and her abilities in regards to corrupted mods she's nigh unusable.  Nova probably SHOULD get duration effected by -duration along with a potential removal of the slow, but that's it, and even then those are buffs in their own way.  There are far more imba abilities in the game to complain about tbh.

4. She does help you rank your stuff.  Now, this is conditional obviously.  If you want to rank up multiple items, having someone else do the kills is better.  If you want to rank up a single item, then you want the kills.

5. I'd say that Null Star is really not worth keeping if you want to go there.  Rhino's stomp would be OP if it could be spammed.  The only thing stopping it from being OP is the cooldown.  However, Rhino's stomp also completely freezes the enemy which can be better depending on the situation.  Granted, that is situational, but even so.  And a lot of skills most people 

6. Her energy pool being high is only an extra 75 energy unbuffed.

Whoa....lets just compare molecular prime with Rhino Stomp and talk about Novas energy pool. You say it's only 75 unbuffed, but that translates into +150 buffed when max flow is used giving Nova a Total of 450 energy. Rhino has a total of 300 energy with max flow. Here Nova gets an extra 150 energy, thats a hell of a lot, in fact 50% more.

Now lets compare differences in the powers. Rhino Stomp vs Molecular Prime

Not recastable while active vs Cast cast while previous one is active

No enemy debuff vs 200% extra damage to enemies from all sources

Damage 800 (maxed) vs Damage 1600 (maxed) due to double damage debuff affecting weapons and WF powers, also damage can chain

8 seconds enemies suspended in air, no enemy fire when suspended vs 50% slow and reduction in enemy fire rate for 60s

Can't be cast while jumping, climbing or fron flip vs can be cast at any time

Cast time significantly slower than MP vs Cast time Significantly faster than Rhino Stomp

from the facts above, it's all in the Wiki.....Molecular prime significantly outclasses Rhino Stomp in every way. I chose Rhino because that's the example you used, however this can be done for all the damage warframes and Nova will come out like a shining star.

As for null star not worth keeping, well it's useful at low level and is an energy battery that can be cast and doesn't run out, so with an abundance of energy you might as well cast it and then refill your energy pool. However, most warframes have 2 or 3 abilities not worth equipping, so if you feel Nova has only one, then shes way ahead again.

As for ranking stuff, you hit the nail on the head, if your ranking 1 or 2 items e.g. warframe and 1 weapon (which is the usual situation, you are MUCH better off doing the kills yourself.

Except it isn't that way. I can give you some math to disprove that if you would like, but you should know it is far from it.

The math is there, but the reality is that paper and actual scenarios differ due to how the skills work.  That is WHY despite the math stating that Nova should be stronger in terms of nuking, I and several other players consistently outdamage and outkill MP novas.  I should probably point that part out-MP Novas.

Also, unlike rhino stomp, which does damage directly, Nova's MP requires another enemy to be killed to activate.  That is something to point out.  This is part of why I can get higher kills with other frames-the time it takes for them to explode, I've already killed all the enemies she is priming.

===

Again, if there must be a nerf, get rid of Nova's ability to do damage with MP (No more explosions) and make MP PURELY a debuff skill.  That would weaken MP (since everyone seems to be angry that it is "too powerful" while still making Nova a viable damage dealer.

I'm not against a nerf, I'm just against getting rid of her debuff.  We don't really have many players willing to play support so...   Giving the most popular nuker a support skill that is pure support might help.

STOP screaming nerf to nova.

Once she she will be nerfed, she will be unusable, cause she so fragile.

Yet I do get the ridiculous gap in-between nova and all other frames, nova is really OP in everything.

Still ppl cant keep going on and on screaming nerf, its not nerf it needs, it needs change, change to her, or all other frames that have become pointless.

Edited by 7grims

STOP screaming nerf to nova.

Once she she will be nerfed, she will be unusable, cause she so fragile.

Yet I do get the ridiculous gap in-between nova and all other frames, nova is really OP in everything.

Still ppl cant keep going on and on screaming nerf, its not nerf it needs, it needs change, change to her, or all other frames that have become pointless.

Hm. I feel as if I am in an odd position because I don't agree with either camp, yet I take the unpopular non-moderate solution.

Maybe if both sides actually discussed and didn't fling S#&$ at each other we could actually give feedback, but alas, I doubt the day will come.

No it doesn't.

You can literally do everything Nova Mprime does with Saryn, and a lot faster at that, while being less squishy.

Otherwise she is pretty fast, but is super squishy. Beyond beleif squishy. If she has less than 75 engergy at any give moment, she is suddenly useless.

I find it very interesting 99% of Nova Nerf posts in Nova Nerf threads are arguing about whether or not she needs a nerf and whether or not M Prime is too powerful, rather than trying to collectively come to a compromise that will appease people who want her toned down, and people who think she doesn't need to be toned down. 

No it doesn't.

You can literally do everything Nova Mprime does with Saryn, and a lot faster at that, while being less squishy.

Otherwise she is pretty fast, but is super squishy. Beyond beleif squishy. If she has less than 75 engergy at any give moment, she is suddenly useless.

While true, Nova is one of the easiest to maximize with corrupted mods, resulting in being useless only when she less than 19 energy. 
Not to mention without energy the same can be said about most frames. 

Hey Cwierz. 

I find it very interesting 99% of Nova Nerf posts in Nova Nerf threads are arguing about whether or not she needs a nerf and whether or not M Prime is too powerful, rather than trying to collectively come to a compromise that will appease people who want her toned down, and people who think she doesn't need to be toned down. 

While true, Nova is one of the easiest to maximize with corrupted mods, resulting in being useless only when she less than 19 energy. 

Not to mention without energy the same can be said about most frames. 

Hey Cwierz. 

I TRIED to suggest a compromise.   I don't think she needs to be toned down, but I can accept taking the damage away from her MP

Not this nerf Nova again...

13z5w8k.jpg

Please seriously, this is flame bait. 

We had way too many wars over Nova.

She has a role, let her do it as that other guy above me somewhere said.

Ember also played an important role ... Need her as "polished" as Ember. 
What would "improve" its gameplay. 
improve the process of playing with her using a f* nerf!

In this game there is no balance. And he not needed. All you need to nerf that no one would crawl with Mercury could not ... While many, and so it does not leave.

PS. I'm way interested. Developers themselves say that the game has no balance and never will be... But prietom begin to spoil one class after another in an effort to create a balance ... You do not find it strange?
Edited by hallfrom

This is exactly the problem.

Its so monotonous.  We need more variety in the frames being played.  Not just 3 of TEH 1337 FR4MZ.  It makes it boring and as I said, monotonous and repetitive.  Where are the creative teams? 

Also Rhino doesnt need shields when he has iron skin and high armor...  So that nerf really wouldnt do anything.

This is hardly Nova's problem.

What's wrong is that M Prime does literally everything that an Ability could ask for-- massive damage, CC, offensive/defensive party support, bossing capabilities, 60 second duration.

That's it. I don't care if M Prime blows stuff up; massive damage and crowd-clearing are what glass cannons do. But the extensive support is absolutely unnecessary.

Edited by SortaRandom

My opinion is that the problem is not so much with M prime itself, it's just that sacrificing everything to maximize it's potential has no penalty. 

You don't need power strength to slow a room to a crawl, or duration to make it last forever. She sacrifices nothing in boosting range and efficiency, and forgoing trying to improve duration/strength.

Just allow to her be effected properly by mods(And buff Null Star to be a better option in her kit) and this whole thing might sort itself out. 

let us not also forget one power just coincidentally happens to have almost every single Utility effect in the game at the same time. (along with Absurd range, Damage before mitigation that rivals some of our Explosive Weapons, etc).

and i'd also agree with that as an issue. there's a few other frames that should also operate in a similar means. having this and that be 'immune' to change means that Corrupted Mods are free. there's even a few Weapons that take Corrupted Damage free. 

nothing should be ignoring these things. they should always be relevant. 

i guess they did that to show that you shouldnt ask for nerfs

and to put that back in context that you conveniently used it out of - changes Digital Extremes has made, both up and down (when talking about numbers) have often tended to be extreme with Warframe. 

but that is no excuse to not actually be objective Beta Testers actually trying to improve a game.

I mean, if you use a weapon, AMD, and MP, your total damage can come out to 100k damage

a few seconds of prep (which is not much longer than the cast time of some powers)can get that over a million... actually.

Edited by taiiat

-snip-

I understand that game balancing involves both buffing and nerfing. And I'm not saying Nova doesn't deserve a nerf whatsoever. What I was saying, however, was that part of the problem we have here is simply that a lot of other frames are simply not that good and perhaps DE should focus on getting them up to par before we decide exactly where and how we hit Nova with a future nerf. 

And please, don't be so hasty with such rude, callous assumptions when replying to someone. This only leaves a sour taste in the mouth of the person you're replying to and makes them feel less inclined to bring a kind, thought out reply in return.

Edited by BizarreFetalChimpanzee