The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mind Set Of A "corridor Hero"

BrotherIcarus

Look the mindset of a so called "corridor hero" is that the best way to  defend the objective is to kill all the enemies and the best place to do this is in a choke point were they can be killed the quickest, not only is this an efficient way of killing the enemies it is also safer than killing them near the objective as the players would have all the agro instead of the said objective. This tactic is often perfect for defence as long as you have at least one person acting as a rear guard near the objective and picking of any that get through. Also I know you have the concerns of not gaining affinity from these kills if you are the rear guard but the affinity range is long enough that on most tile sets you will still be in range to benefit from said kill (Tested on Kappa and most mobile defence tile sets).

So the positives of this are that the objective is a lot less likely to die (If you don't have a good defensive set up this is good) and that you should still gain full XP.

Now lets look at the negatives of this style. The loot is spread around the local area. How do you solve this problem well simple you just walk around the local area when all the objectives are completed.

NOTHING is positive about door heroes, stay close to pod and protect it, don't leave your teammates,  let enemies come otherwise you scatter loot you screw up the spawnrate and you risk failling the mission. I 100% disagree.

SAY NO TO DOOR HEROES

Edited by Tr1ples1xer

NOTHING is positive about door heroes, stay close to pod and protect it, don't leave your teammates,  let enemies come otherwise you scatter loot you screw up the spawnrate and you risk failling the mission. I 100% disagree.

SAY NO TO DOOR HEROES

Probably people who enjoy the game without delving into the experience system and realizing it's depriving everyone else. That is, if you didn't try explaining.

Thankyou for your contribution but if you aint gonna read what I said don't reply.

Edited by BrotherIcarus

I don't think you understand how exp distribution works. Basically if you are too far from others they won't get exp from your kills and you won't get exp from theirs. And on some maps the spawns get really weird or stop entirely if you stand at doors. For example Grineer galleon defense, some of the enemies fail to spawn because everyone is too spread out.

And you fail to consider that sometimes the enemies spawn unpredictably meaning at wave 20 that charger everyone missed because "offensive is the best defense" kills the pod with one strike of weak claw attacks. Offensive isn't best defense, defense is best defense.

EDIT: Jesus I should stop typing when I'm tired, I forgot entire sentences.

Edited by General_Krull

I don't think you understand how exp distribution works. Basically if you are too far from others they won't get exp from your kills and you won't get exp from theirs. And on some maps the spawns get really weird or stop entirely if you stand at doors. For example Grineer galleon defense, some of the enemies fail to spawn because everyone is too spread out.

And you fail to consider that sometimes the enemies spawn unpredictably meaning at wave 20 that charger everyone missed because "offensive is the best defense" kills the pod with one strike of weak claw attacks. Offensive isn't best defense, defense is best defense.

EDIT: Jesus I should stop typing when I'm tired, I forgot entire sentences.

I know exactly how EXP share works I also have tested te ranges and it is well over 60 metres in game probably more.

This is is why you keep one guy at the pod at all times to stop this.

I am beginning to think that allot of most of the reply people didn't even read the OP

Edited by BrotherIcarus

Look the mindset of a so called "corridor hero" is that the best way to  defend the objective is to kill all the enemies and the best place to do this is in a choke point were they can be killed the quickest, not only is this an efficient way of killing the enemies it is also safer than killing them near the objective as the players would have all the agro instead of the said objective. This tactic is often perfect for defence as long as you have at least one person acting as a rear guard near the objective and picking of any that get through. Also I know you have the concerns of not gaining affinity from these kills if you are the rear guard but the affinity range is long enough that on most tile sets you will still be in range to benefit from said kill (Tested on Kappa and most mobile defence tile sets).

So the positives of this are that the objective is a lot less likely to die (If you don't have a good defensive set up this is good) and that you should still gain full XP.

Now lets look at the negatives of this style. The loot is spread around the local area. How do you solve this problem well simple you just walk around the local area when all the objectives are completed.

Ok you will be the rear guard near the objetive and i will be the door hero

1) I come from having logged many hours playing Killing Floor and I feel your pain.

2) The game is just not difficult enough for anyone to give two S#&$s 99% of the time, so that last 1% you have nothing but players who have no idea what to do, and their expectation is that it's supposed to be easy. They should be able to swipe an automatic and decimate the enemy or press 4 and vaporize an army.

3) The game is FAST. When you run to do a loot loop it makes people think you're moving up. They don't wait and see if you're going to shoot anything or press 4 or not, they just go up with you. I learned this because on Kappa I would go stand by the doors to keep them open, so people could shoot into them from farther away. NEVER WORKS because people perceive me as trying to cut them off and jack their farm, so they move up past the door I was holding open.

Guest Shibboleet

The sad point is that most 'door/tunnel heroes' stretch out too far and do not share the xp. Most of my experiences in tower defenses is someone rushing the spawn door up the steps which also happens to be the approximate distance that xp stops sharing.

Edited by Shibboleet

I know exactly how EXP share works I also have tested te ranges and it is well over 60 metres in game probably more.

This is is why you keep one guy at the pod at all times to stop this.

I am beginning to think that allot of most of the reply people didn't even read the OP

But it's not, if I'm at the terminal on Kappa and someone is killing enemies in the middle I'm not getting affinity at all. 

"... at least one person acting as a rear guard picking off any that get through...."

That is the mindset of a hallway hero in a nutshell, to translate :

"Someone else can do the boring bit"

"Rarrr, me kill stuff"

"Who cares if that one dude is just standing there having a rubbish game, I'm having fun!"

Doorway heroes are selfish, they think their fun is more important than everyone else's.

Defend it all you like, most people hate them, says it all really.

Edited by Egg_Chen

I'm pretty tired of these people. Like Rionat said, when this happens, I just go even further than them and get the kills before they do. This happens so often for me on Kappa. I'm not babysitting the objective by myself. I go get whatever kills I can, let the game fail, and find a better group.

I suggest everyone do the same, unless you like sitting by the objective for 3 and half minutes x 2.