Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat And Failed To Join Session Solved!

(PSN)joao999

Hey everyone, I was having this problem myself and I was going crazy with it, always playing alone couldn't join friends or anyone from the in game chat, looked for answers, solutions nothing seemed to work, almost no one talked about it here, so I started asking people in the game if they had any problems, many did and still do.

So if you know someone that has this situation on their system forward them to this thread so everyone can enjoy the game without hiccups.

Okay so first thing you need is one of these OS:

Mac OS X

Linux (Ubuntu)

Windows XP and Vista

(Windows 8 and 7 are not supported)

And secondly you need to deactivate your router firewall and/or upnp security.

Next download and run the file from this link -> http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=213879

Once you open the file press connect, on the right side you will find a blank window , next to it press on create.

Now on the first bar you choose the name of the configuration (Warframe , PS4 , etc...)

Ignore the second bar, on the third bar uncheck the box and enter your Ps4 IP address.

You can find it by going to network-> view connection status -> look for something like this 192.168._._

Once you change the IP on the third bar go to "Add port Range", chose UDP and fill the blank boxes like this -> 3960 and 3963.

Confirm, save the changes.

Now you will notice that your configuration showed up on the window, select the configuration and press Use, check above to see if the ports were Added successfully, once you see them added close the program and enjoy your game.

NOTE: If the router is restarted or the power goes down you will need to reconfigure the ports again.

Hope everyone finds this helpful.

(I will add screens in the near future just need to get my hands in a pc...)

This is called "port forwarding" and almost all routers have the ability to forward ports built into the router configuration screen without the need to download 3rd party software such as upnp port mapper.  The only reason you would ever need to forward a port manually for the PS4 is if the uPNP on your router is either turned off or not working properly.  In most cases a router firmware update will solve those kinds of issues.

To forward ports manually on your router without using 3rd party software, simply follow the instructions here after choosing the brand and model number of your router:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PS4/

If you forward the ports on your router configuration then you will not need to worry about power loss as the configuration will be permanently stored in the router memory.

Great job on the research though, I'm sure this program will forward your ports just fine.

p.s. if you own your own router (you're not renting one from your ISP) and you don't like your firmware, then you can try an open source firmware such as Tomato or DD-WRT.  Just search for tomato firmware or dd-wrt firm.  In most cases they are superior to the manufacturer's default firmware.

• 3 weeks later...

I have only recently been getting this same issue and its only when both ps4's are logged in to warframe. The second system to log in gets the notification. I was going to do port forwarding but was advised against it, since it would only apply to one system and would cause issues for the second playstation. I opened a ticket for this issue almost a week ago and have received no reply yet. Opinions?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi!! i'm running this problems and still didn't fixed it. now i see this post and this is a hope.

may i know where are u from joao999?

my isp is meo from pt and with a thompson 784n that is giving me the same problems.

its more incredible because i'm in europe and and can't join any game with my friend neither on recruitng inv...

if i change to the server in america i can join with the most of them.

the fact is that i asked help in my isp provider and only one technician have helped me.

then i had to turn off the router and the game have the same issues.

when i get home i wil try this and hope it works. i'm desperated.

i forgot to say then i have other touter that works great but so i can have a tv provider have to work with damn thompson router...

but i stil have a question... my error says more or less: strict nat detected. upnp malfunctioning. please forward UDP ports 3960 & 3962 to (ip of ps4 i guess).

int his post says to add range 3960 and 3963?? can i know why?

thanks

I am also having this problem, contacted my local service provider, change the IP from Private to Public, then did the requested on forwarding UDP port to some port, but yet the problem still persist..., my network provided is also at a lost here...

anyone can sheared some light in here..., whenever ppl try to invite me for a game or trading, it will just keep on disconnecting. Its starting to be a nuisance seriously. So some solution will be good, anyone.... 

Edited by (PS4)GeneY79

I am also having this problem, contacted my local service provider, change the IP from Private to Public, then did the requested on forwarding UDP port to some port, but yet the problem still persist..., my network provided is also at a lost here...

anyone can sheared some light in here..., whenever ppl try to invite me for a game or trading, it will just keep on disconnecting. Its starting to be a nuisance seriously. So some solution will be good, anyone.... 

Have you thought about enabling DMZ on your router and setting a static IP for your PS4? If you do this, it will remove the need to open ports for your router and you can point any of your devices to this IP if you are having issues. Here is the easiest way to do this.

Hit Windows Key+R and type in cmd and press enter, this is where we will find out your default gateway address.

In the box that opens type in ipconfig and press enter, once you do this it will give you some basic text inside of the box. Look for the text "Default Gateway" and "Subnet Mask" as you will need both of these numbers.

Now, my Default Gateway for example is 192.168.1.1 and my Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 . If you cant find this information, a simple Google search of your routers make/model should return the same results for you. My routers are all 192.168.X.X, aside from my Comcast modem that is 10.0.0.1.

Type in your default gateway into your address bar, this should bring you to your routers login page/landing page. Login to your router and here is where we start everything.

Once in, find your NAT/QoS tab or your advanced port forwarding setting to find DMZ. If you can't find it you will need to do a Google search to see if your router has this function available to it and where to enter the information.

Once you find DMZ, set it to enable and create your DMZ IP. Mine is currently 192.168.1.55 for simplicity, but it should be something that isn't used by your phone, smart tv, wi-fi enable earrings, etc... Now we go to the PS4 and set everything up.

We are going to use my settings as the example, so whatever your information is is what you will need to change this to. Remember, you need your Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and your new DMZ address.

Go to Settings>Network>Set-Up internet connection.

Chose your method of connecting, be it WiFi or LAN connection and select "Custom" when prompted. When you get to the IP Address Settings screen select "Manual". Enter the information as follows, remember we are using my settings as an example and you will need to change them to suit your settings. For this example we will use Google as our primary and secondary DNS. These codes are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 , I recommend using these as your DNS settings.

Here we go:

IP Address: 192.168.1.55

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Hit "Next".

MTU Settings: Automatic

Proxy Server: "Do Not Use"

Test your internet settings, and everything should pass. If it doesn't, something has been entered wrong and needs to be started over again. This should fix your issue on this game, and many others along with connection issues to other players via PSN.

Hope this helps anyone out who comes across this!

Joa0999 is a bloody legend 

i have spent over 5 hours trying to fix this problem so i can play with my friend and i had almost given up. but then i found this forum and it fixed it first go. i had tried everything else, port forwarding via the router settings and also tried DMZ. it must have been my routers uPnP musnt have been working. 

but man thanks so much !!! :)

Have you thought about enabling DMZ on your router and setting a static IP for your PS4? If you do this, it will remove the need to open ports for your router and you can point any of your devices to this IP if you are having issues. Here is the easiest way to do this.

Hit Windows Key+R and type in cmd and press enter, this is where we will find out your default gateway address.

In the box that opens type in ipconfig and press enter, once you do this it will give you some basic text inside of the box. Look for the text "Default Gateway" and "Subnet Mask" as you will need both of these numbers.

Now, my Default Gateway for example is 192.168.1.1 and my Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 . If you cant find this information, a simple Google search of your routers make/model should return the same results for you. My routers are all 192.168.X.X, aside from my Comcast modem that is 10.0.0.1.

Type in your default gateway into your address bar, this should bring you to your routers login page/landing page. Login to your router and here is where we start everything.

Once in, find your NAT/QoS tab or your advanced port forwarding setting to find DMZ. If you can't find it you will need to do a Google search to see if your router has this function available to it and where to enter the information.

Once you find DMZ, set it to enable and create your DMZ IP. Mine is currently 192.168.1.55 for simplicity, but it should be something that isn't used by your phone, smart tv, wi-fi enable earrings, etc... Now we go to the PS4 and set everything up.

We are going to use my settings as the example, so whatever your information is is what you will need to change this to. Remember, you need your Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and your new DMZ address.

Go to Settings>Network>Set-Up internet connection.

Chose your method of connecting, be it WiFi or LAN connection and select "Custom" when prompted. When you get to the IP Address Settings screen select "Manual". Enter the information as follows, remember we are using my settings as an example and you will need to change them to suit your settings. For this example we will use Google as our primary and secondary DNS. These codes are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 , I recommend using these as your DNS settings.

Here we go:

IP Address: 192.168.1.55

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Hit "Next".

MTU Settings: Automatic

Proxy Server: "Do Not Use"

Test your internet settings, and everything should pass. If it doesn't, something has been entered wrong and needs to be started over again. This should fix your issue on this game, and many others along with connection issues to other players via PSN.

Hope this helps anyone out who comes across this!

Thanks Laveyfan, enabling the DMZ on the router works charmingly..., thank you for suggesting and also providing the step to step method in setting up the DMZ, now I no longer have the "Strict NAT" issue anymore and is enjoying playing with other fellow tenno around the globe.

You da best... ;)

Edited by (PS4)GeneY79

• 1 month later...

Did you try this:

To get an open NAT on the Thomson/Technicolour modems you need to bind the ports to the cone firewall in order for uPnP to work.

Reason that this is broken is since telstra doesn't use the default ip range 192.168.1.254 for these modems.

Install telnet:

1. Open Control Panel
2. Go into Programs
3. In Programs and Features there should be a section that says "turn windows features on or off"
4. Click "turn windows features on or off" and check the box beside Telnet Client
5. Click OK

or:

download puttytel:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Bind the ports to the firewall through telnet:

1. Open Run [win + r] enter cmd
2. Enter: telnet 10.0.0.138
3. Enter username: admin
4. Enter password: (leave blank and press enter)
5. Copy and paste the following command lines one at a time and press enter after pasting each:

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074-3075
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3658
:saveall

6. Close the telnet session
7. Turn router off for 1 minute, then power on

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I get Strict NAT too, but my PS4 is Type 2.

And i've forwarded the ports on my Technicolor TG799vn v2.

I tried the telnet suggestion but i can't connect to the router.

I've tested to forward the port (3960,3962) to my computer instead and used portchecker and the ports is opened.

Please help if you can. :)

For PS4 Users with Thomsom/Technicolor routers

Install telnet:

1. Open Control Panel
2. Go into Programs
3. In Programs and Features there should be a section that says "turn windows features on or off"
4. Click "turn windows features on or off" and check the box beside Telnet Client
5. Click OK

or:

download puttytel:

http://www.chiark.gr...y/download.html

5. Copy and paste the following command lines one at a time and press enter after pasting each:

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3960
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3962

This worked for me anyways... thanks to  (PS4)m0rph_pl for the groundwork :)

Install telnet:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Go into Programs

5. Click OK

or:

download puttytel:

Hi, What router do u use?

I have an tg799vn v2 as i wrote before and i can't connect via telnet.

• 2 weeks later...

Install telnet:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Go into Programs

5. Click OK

or:

download puttytel:

Hi, What router do u use?

I have an tg799vn v2 as i wrote before and i can't connect via telnet.

I have a TG782T. I'm not quite sure why you can't connect via telnet. Double check that the ip address you use is your default gateway, ie mine is 10.0.0.138, yours may be different, i'm not sure.

BTW

The ports have changed recently so instead of

now instead change the last few numbers these

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=4950

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=4955

Easy done

I have a TG782T. I'm not quite sure why you can't connect via telnet. Double check that the ip address you use is your default gateway, ie mine is 10.0.0.138, yours may be different, i'm not sure.

BTW

The ports have changed recently so instead of

now instead change the last few numbers these

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=4950

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=4955

Easy done

Hi, Yeah i've tried with my gateway IP but i doesn't work.

It appears that telnet i disabled on tg799vn v2.

I bought an asus ac66u and it worked out of the box.

Thank you for your help.

• 9 years later...