Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mod Stacking, Please Make It Stop

Wallace24

alright, so I'm finally back (sort of), you see we were hit with a power outage so I finally had my first U12 experience. I haven't played anything, but I checked out the dojo (looks real nice, and man, that's a lot of oxium for zephyr, amiright?) and started preparing for all the new weapons. also I finally finished my detron. a couple days ago, but, again, power outage. 

so, back to relevant things. I don't know how the in-game HUD really is, because it is reduced in the dojo, and Idk if I'll be able to check that stuff out. see, I still don't have power back, but we have a portable generator and the cable is back up, thus teh internets

but DE, what have you done with the mods?! mother of god, all my organization is out the window. I can understand how stacking mods is good, but there should be an option to revert it to the way it was, or turn off mod stacking. please, just make it toggleable or something. unranked mods don't show up in the recent mods list at the top, so you really aren't seeing the most recent mods. and sorting alphabetically never works out well, because I have no idea what the secondary sorting is by, it should be by recent, but it's not. you see, I have multiple copies of each mod at different fusion levels, so for example, I have ranks 0-8 of redirection and vitality (part of the reason they aren't maxed out. but I'm fine with that), and when sorting by name, it did not sort them 0,1,2,3, etc. on the contrary, it would be fairly arbitrary, so the secondary sort is not by recent, or by ranking. but now the recent mods seem to relegate all the unranked stuff to the bottom of the page. 

I'm not going to venture into the auto-fusing stuff, because I have a collection of gold cores and I'm sure it would go for that first. while I do agree that the stacking is pretty nice for removing clutter, it's overkill, and it prevents the mods from being useful. I think making the stacking toggleable would fix this. however, we may still run into an issue there was a while back, where mods obtained prior to a certain time, or during a certain time, were all considered to be obtained at the same time, so the sorting of those is all out of order. but I'll let that one slide, it was mostly warframe abilities, so it's fine. just means I can't use them as a timeline for when I got each frame. again, that was a while ago and I'm over it, I just hope that reverting the mod sorting/stacking doesn't reset the time of when we obtained each mod, thus making sorting irrelevant

one more thing. the mod section of the codex doesn't count mods that are unranked as being obtained. so no one can ever have coolant leak. I got worried when I saw I was missing some mods that I had prior to U12. but yeah, that should probably be fixed. I think it is related to the stacking of unranked mods and that's why they aren't being counted. but even if you have only one copy of an unranked mod, it doesn't get counted. it also doesn't show up in the proper place time-wise

and if DE is already aware of this, I'm sorry, again, I haven't had power for 3 days. I plead the fifth!

TL;DR - mod stacking was good in theory, but in practice, there's no easy way to see the mods you just acquired (so the recent" sort is essentially useless, unless you want to see all your fusion cores). because unranked mods don't seem to count any more. this is also a problem in the Mod section of the codex. the stacking needs to stop, or at least be an option rather than a mandate

Edited by Wallace24

but then the mods of the same type but different fusion levels won't be grouped up. but I do appreciate the suggestion. and I  haven't tested it but I'm sure DE still hasn't allowed us to swap sorting by ascending or descending order. it should switch if you choose rating sort and then click rating sort again, something like that

I find fusing very difficuilt now as I like to add mods individually to see what ones are best for rank-up (especially when im adding more than 3 different mods to rank up one).  Rarely do I max out a mod in one hit either, so like to be efficient.

Stacking is good though maybe if you hover over the mod for a bit it expands the stack out so you can individually click which mods you want to use for fusion.

Better yet have a toggle switch in the UI screen for stacking and non-stacking.  So when you fusion you can use non-stacking and when just looking to see what ranked ones you have it stacks.  This way the individual player can choose what they want.

Edited by Loswaith

I find fusing very difficuilt now as I like to add mods individually to see what ones are best for rank-up (especially when im adding more than 3 different mods to rank up one).  Rarely do I max out a mod in one hit either, so like to be efficient.

Stacking is good though maybe if you hover over the mod for a bit it expands the stack out so you can individually click which mods you want to use for fusion.

Better yet have a toggle switch in the UI screen for stacking and non-stacking.  So when you fusion you can use non-stacking and when just looking to see what ranked ones you have it stacks.  This way the individual player can choose what they want.

Agreed! Bump.

yeah, tried using other sorting options, they're no good either. I haven't fused anything since U12. the top of my "recent" mods list is filled with fusion cores, because I guess all the unranked mods that I get (the actual new/fresh/recent ones) just end up in stacks somewhere else. sorting by name sort of works, but again, I can't tell which is the oldest copy, because the secondary sort after the name is arbitrary. but I guess if I can never actually see the mods in order of acquisition, it doesn't matter if I rank one of them up even if it wasn't the oldest unranked one (again, a bit of an OCD thing, or just a desire for some semblance of organization). well played (not really)

but seriously, stacking should be an option, something you can switch off either in the mod UI or as a game setting

I agree with everything Wallace24 said.

The way I do (or did) my fusing was to go to the 'recent' list and just dump all the rubbish mods like ammo drum and whatnot to my high capacity mods not yet at max like the many of the corrupted mods.

I also like to keep varying levels of all the mods. This allows for greated flexibility when modding equipment that don't have enough forma to have everything at max.

Fusing recent fodder mods is not really viable anymore since you would need to go through every single tab manually and look for which mods you have multiples. This becomes incredibly bothersome since you basically need to do this all the time and you can easily end up with dozens of different fodder mods from just few missions.

A simple tick box asking if you wan't to stack mods or not should solve this problem.

-snip- and I  haven't tested it but I'm sure DE still hasn't allowed us to swap sorting by ascending or descending order. it should switch if you choose rating sort and then click rating sort again, something like that

Weirdly enough, it used to be just like that but they disabled it for whatever reason. Would be nice to have it back.

When fusing, I just sort by polarity, as mods of matching polarity as the card I want to fuse, regardles of time I obtained them, are more efficient. I select "All mods" for that purpose. I kinda get it to work. But as has been said already: The current system is targeted at people wanting to max a mod in one go. That's not credit-efficient. Its better to have a serration at 8 and a different mod at a decent level than to have a serration at 10 and norhing else left, in terms of cores and credits. So its a delicate process. I want to have control over it. The "how much do you want to use" button deperately needs an "up" and "down" from the number you initially choose. I pretty much always leave 1 or 2 copies of each mod, in case I want to create a mod card of a differnt level to squeeze into a build, lateron. That's currently a bit clumsy.

And if there is anything you should be able to stack, it should be cores. Because THERE the current system would acutally be convenient.

I understand that this is helping the long-time players a lot that have about 200 ammo drums and the scroll bar on the side just isn't good enough for scrolling through the list to find a specific mod. But the system as it is is really inconvenient.

as nice as it seems, mod stacking was counter productive for me so far.

i like to keep each mod in each level, so: ammo drum 5 4 3 2 1 0

why? to be flexible with new weapons and frames while leveling them.

so far, the only way to see it neatly sorted was to go by polarity. when you sorted by name, the ranks were all over the place within the group of the same mod.

also, the mod stacking destroyed the 'recent' mods function. it was useful to see if you got a mod even though the client crashed or the host vanished and you got booted back to the main screen for it (usually you got that mod), but now you can't see that anymore.

as a fix, i'd suggest the following:

-let people mark mods as 'keepers' (star icon or a bandage on one corner or whatever). you can group the rest as it does it now.

-keepers wont get used for fusion, auto-fusion or transmutation, so they aren't offered then, which would majorly clean up those functions

-recent tab shouldn't use the grouping function at all, but work like pre-U12

-make grouping optional for those that dont like it

thank you for your time

The good?

Mod stacking has been asked for, as far as I know since closed beta.  I know it was a discussion some founders were wanting when I started just prior to U7.  Those that were asking for it were pretty passionate.

Now that we have it, really it would seem the recent sorting is all that is actually broken, and i'm sad about that.

I'd personally like a toggle.  For now, if I could unstack for when i'm fusing and (if it unfucks the recent sort) see what mods I picked up and didn't see in a long survival or def/MD mission i'd be happy.  Then they could get on the parts that are broken at a slower pace and keep us happy.

as nice as it seems, mod stacking was counter productive for me so far.

i like to keep each mod in each level, so: ammo drum 5 4 3 2 1 0

why? to be flexible with new weapons and frames while leveling them.

so far, the only way to see it neatly sorted was to go by polarity. when you sorted by name, the ranks were all over the place within the group of the same mod.

also, the mod stacking destroyed the 'recent' mods function. it was useful to see if you got a mod even though the client crashed or the host vanished and you got booted back to the main screen for it (usually you got that mod), but now you can't see that anymore.

as a fix, i'd suggest the following:

-let people mark mods as 'keepers' (star icon or a bandage on one corner or whatever). you can group the rest as it does it now.

-keepers wont get used for fusion, auto-fusion or transmutation, so they aren't offered then, which would majorly clean up those functions

-recent tab shouldn't use the grouping function at all, but work like pre-U12

-make grouping optional for those that dont like it

thank you for your time

those would definitely be good ways to fix it, recent should disregard stacking. and I'm the same way with multiple ranks of each mod

The stacking of mods is nice, the loss of 'recent' is horrible.

pretty much this. I can sort of understand how stacking is good, but its functionality ruins the recent mod sort. something about how DE has changed unranked mods to be different than other mods for the stacking function has broken this as well as the mod section of the codex

How many times did your power go out trolling this topic into existence? 

Mod organization? HAH..

excuse you?

Mod stacking itself is fine for some views. It's great when you're looking for mods in your collection, and reduces the amount of scrolling. However it does have a couple of drawbacks. I totally agree that it needs to be removed on the recent sort selection, as it really messes with things there.

Next, it kinda messes me up when fusing. Auto-Fuse is a no go for me, since I would much rather prioritize fusing junk mods of like polarity into a mod before using fusion cores. The only problem though is the fusing selection. It will let you select and waste more mods than actually needed to rank up a mod. SO you have to fight with the ui increasing and decreasing the amount of slash dash copies you want to fuse until you find the right spot. Personally I would prefer that the mod energy meter update when selecting the amount of mods to fuse, and stop you from adding more than you need when you max a mod. Even better, add a button that adds enough of the currently selected mod to reach the next level, where clicking it multiple times adds enough to level each time until you run out of mods in the stack. Last, why don't fusion cores stack? With the improvements suggested it would be nice to be able to select my serration for fusion, then select my stack of 300 common 3 cores, and hit a button that will add enough of those to reach rank 9, then hit it again to add more to reach rank 10. Much easier than the old system of clicking each mod individually, and allows stacking to be useful as a display tool.

So summary: no stacking in recent view, mod fusion bar updates when adding and decreasing the amount of mods ina  stack to fuse, a button in the stack fusing UI that will add enough mods of the stack to reach the next rank, fix secondary sorts, and add stacking to fusion cores.