The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Re: "guide" Waypoints

Meenmu

Still not sure if this goes in UI or Maps & Levels, but I made this thread a while ago. Was going to necro it but it seems to be gone, though the issue is still very much relevant (perhaps more so now than before).

I will try (and fail) to be brief. We've got big complex tiles with lots of ways to navigate through them. Waypoints set try to force you through a specific route rather than simply appearing where they were dropped.

I want waypoints to show up where people put them. Simple as that.

I do not want to be guided across the room, down some stairs, up an elevator, and around a tree before I can actually see that the waypoint was set 10 feet below where I was originally standing.

I'm no fool; I can find my way around a tile without the waypoint holding my hand and slowing me down (possibly leading me away from that desperately needed air).

Just make the waypoint appear in space exactly where it is with a distance marker, and if it is so far away (multiple tiles) that a guide waypoint seems absolutely necessary, make it a different color and put it on the relevant door in the tile.

</tantrum>

I personally prefer the way it is now, but it could still use some tweaks. I could see your point if the "rooms" were all basic hallways, but with the varying levels and routes, I prefer to have my hand held, especially when I don't "know" the level. Its frustrating enough when everyone else plays race to the objective and you miss one jump or turn and get left behind. At earlier levels, its enough to make some people not want to play, or only play alone, which is a detriment to the experiences I've had with good groups.

Then again, I've never had the experience of it taking me the round about way of being 10 feet from where I started, and I see how that can frustrate you. Just not as common for me.

I personally prefer the way it is now, but it could still use some tweaks. I could see your point if the "rooms" were all basic hallways, but with the varying levels and routes, I prefer to have my hand held, especially when I don't "know" the level. Its frustrating enough when everyone else plays race to the objective and you miss one jump or turn and get left behind. At earlier levels, its enough to make some people not want to play, or only play alone, which is a detriment to the experiences I've had with good groups.

Then again, I've never had the experience of it taking me the round about way of being 10 feet from where I started, and I see how that can frustrate you. Just not as common for me.

I can definitely see the benefit of the system used now, and I don't really see why it can't work the way I described, with an extra option in the options menu to add additional guidepoints (for newer players and those playing unfamiliar tiles).

Still not sure if this goes in UI or Maps & Levels, but I made this thread a while ago. Was going to necro it but it seems to be gone, though the issue is still very much relevant (perhaps more so now than before).

I will try (and fail) to be brief. We've got big complex tiles with lots of ways to navigate through them. Waypoints set try to force you through a specific route rather than simply appearing where they were dropped.

I want waypoints to show up where people put them. Simple as that.

I do not want to be guided across the room, down some stairs, up an elevator, and around a tree before I can actually see that the waypoint was set 10 feet below where I was originally standing.

I'm no fool; I can find my way around a tile without the waypoint holding my hand and slowing me down (possibly leading me away from that desperately needed air).

Just make the waypoint appear in space exactly where it is with a distance marker, and if it is so far away (multiple tiles) that a guide waypoint seems absolutely necessary, make it a different color and put it on the relevant door in the tile.

</tantrum>

I absolutely agree with you. Here is a more concise way to put it: "Way points should not show the path but rather the destination. If the destination is several tiles away, the way point should show the nearest door that leads to the destination."

Another thing I would add: "Way points several tiles away should show their actual location on the full size map and the nearest door that leads to the destination on the minimap."

Please DE, give us an option to toggle on/off this hand-holding behavior with the way points.

waypoints bug me no end as well.

i agree with the above poster, put the destination on the map and maybe some fainter direction waypoints so you know you're still not even in the same tile as the target.

a good example for this problem in action is the corpus defence mission with overhead catwalks. teammates kill an oxium osprey and mark the coords. at this point start the benny hill theme as you run back and forth all over the catwalks trying to find something that was 5m away vertically. the waypoints don't seem to be able to path from the catwalks down to the ground. given how much oxium is needed the frustration escalates quickly.

i'd also like to see this applied to general waypoints too. tell us where the exit/cannister/assasinate target IS. have the option for hand holding with duller icons to make it more apparant you're not there yet. if you know the tiles well enough to know the shortcuts the hand holding only serves to slow you down. why get lead up a ramp across a walkway down some stairs across some pipes and into an air vent, if i can fling myself across the void in the middle and get there 80% faster? you don't bother because it's just as likely NOT over there in the current setup

Agreed. It annoys me to no end when a waypoint tries to force me through an elevator when I can just jump down or Ripline/Wormwhole/etc my way up.

There are also instances where the waypoint would make me go up some stairs then down the exact same stairs again and again. Though, admittedly, it doesn't happen often. But it's really annoying when it does happen.