Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Typhus - The Parasite Warframe

RedSkittlez

The concept is less frame and more the person/thing inside it. There is a shift towards biology rather than technology. Also the open mouth and fleshyness.

To me that's not really a criticism. You need to remember, my friend, that Warframes are not entirely technological, they are a biotech suit of armour that enhances the wearer. Because, y'know, it's made from the refined tissue of the Technocyte Virus. So why can't a 'Frame be more organic than another? Wouldn't a Parasite armour be more alive than, say, Vauban? Think about Guyver, its a Biobooster Armour. Look at Saryn, for example, she's almost one-hundred percent organic.

Also, you have to realize that the person inside is a Host for the 'Frame, because the 'Frame itself is living, you have to understand that Typhus is a Parasite, it feeds on the wearer, who essentially becomes little more than a living battery. Therefore, when the host sacrifices his body, he gains incredible powers from the 'Frame.

Edited by RedSkittlez

Well yes that is a point because that frame is biological because he is a parasite themed warframe.

Did you realize that the armors themselves are made from the technocite virus and are actually a mix of biological and tecnological components.
There are frames with more tech or more biological aspects like our prime examples; Syren and Vouban.
Legit canon from warframe clearly states how excalibur was born from the void and created from the technocite.
when you fight lephantis he clearly asks '"why hurt us we are of the same flesh"
further dictating that the frames are made from the same technocite virus

If you played Dark sector which is a prequal of this game; Hayden Tenno is infected as well as fused with the technocite virus making his body change, infest, turn metalic and grant him use of the same powers the warframes use and yes Warframe has lack of lore but makes up for it in details and bios from the previus game.

Little note did you notice that Typhus was featured on prime time twice?
He was called Locust at the time.

If you ask me as some one who follows the lore since dark sector.

I think he followed the lore to the dot.

Now if you dont like it just humbly say so dont just say it does not match the lore. 

Please...

I think that it is to personal, if that makes sense to you, that its' biological (while cool) features are so uniquely defined that it becomes to obviously displayed in game if there are more than one. In dark sector there was only one Tenno, while Excalibur is pretty much a direct translation to this game all of those skills are rather easily reproduced with technology - the warframe - not the one inside it. I just have a harder time believing in this concept than some other less personal frames.

I don't really see that as a problem, in fact; I believe it is an interesting and unique design feature, giving more humanity to an otherwise blank slate of a character.

This is going to be very important in a minute, you'll see why.

That's actually quite in line with what we know so far about the Tenno. They are, as far as we as normal humans can determine "Magical". They warp, alter, and bend reality, and matter. Find me one 'Frame that doesn't. I think you'll be hard pressed to. See, what you "Humbly" believe, may not be correct, but I am just as willing to admit that I may not be correct. But that's the thing about the lore as it stands. The Devs can do whatever they're comfortable with right now, and then handwave all of the prior contradictions away. Battletech did it, and they did it damn well.

If you can tell me exactly how many Excalibur Warframes there are in operation right now (From a Lore standpoint) then I'll believe you. Until then, there could be several trillion Tenno locked away, waiting to wake up. That's a few more than just a thousand Tenno with one strain of the Technocyte Infestation, eh'?

The technological idea behind most warframes isn't that complex, the "magic" can also be rewritten into techology in many cases. I'd say that Nekros might be the frame that is nearest to the magic-style, yet nanotechnology and what not sold the concept. I'll continue in the reply below.

"Tenno with one strain of the Technocyte Infestation" <- I'd buy this. If you'd put this in it would give some plausible backstory to a multitude of them showing up.

To me that's not really a criticism. You need to remember, my friend, that Warframes are not entirely technological, they are a biotech suit of armour that enhances the wearer. Because, y'know, it's made from the refined tissue of the Technocyte Virus. So why can't a 'Frame be more organic than another? Wouldn't a Parasite armour be more alive than, say, Vauban? Think about Guyver, its a Biobooster Armour. Look at Saryn, for example, she's almost one-hundred percent organic.

I'm becomming more entitled to believing in it. What I lack is perhaps the backstory and the technological (biological/biotechnological) process of it's existance. I know it's asking alot but right now its' the thing missing, That thing with a strain mentioned above was a good start. Your level of detail is great so something like that could do the trick.

Saryns skills are rather simple, while biological or synthetic/chemical producing a viral infection, shedding the outer layer of a warframe, coating your blades and even creating an acid bomb cloud are easy (not simple, but easy). All of that can be done today to a degree, it can also be explained and reproduced.

I believe your idea can be explained and that I can believe it, with the level of detail and unique features that your frame has I might just need a bit more explanation.

And in fact the concept art looks very evil and sinister. Maybe something for enemy of Tenno, but not be the Tenno itself. Never. I am surprised so many people like this sort of thing. I can understand you wanting to look evil, scary, etc. But spreading the virus. That is something that Infested would be doing. Never the Tenno.

This is Enemy of Tenno! I hate this idea. You are the one who designed the Zephyr? You should be proud. You have a lot of skill. But this evil abomination belongs at the end of my blade.

I hate the helmet with the Teeth. I hate it pure and simple. It is evil looking. Almost like Anti-tenno. Not for the the good guys. It is pure and simply evil. And does not belong in this game. But do not let me stop you from making something that should not belong in this game.

Also the pictures of scorpions and flowers. I can understand you are going for a certain feel here. But this is not right type of frame for Tenno to be wearing. If you maybe make him less evil looking, I would consider a second look.

Edited by Letter13
merged

And in fact the concept art looks very evil and sinister. Maybe something for enemy of Tenno, but not be the Tenno itself. Never. I am surprised so many people like this sort of thing. I can understand you wanting to look evil, scary, etc. But spreading the virus. That is something that Infested would be doing. Never the Tenno.

This is Enemy of Tenno! I hate this idea. You are the one who designed the Zephyr? You should be proud. You have a lot of skill. But this evil abomination belongs at the end of my blade.

Anything you wanna say aside from "He looks evil.  I hate it.  He looks evil.  I hate it."?

Consider Nekros.  He's sinister.  He's evil.  He raises the dead.  Why aren't you whining about him while you're at it?

And to address your concern about spreading a virus, you clearly don't know anything about Warframes.  The Warframes themselves are part of a virus, the same one the Infested have.  Please go do some research on both Warframe and Dark Sector.

I can somewhat see where you're coming from, but you're literally only saying "Omg, how can ppl liek this?  It evil, I hate it!"

Next time, try and come up with a more constructive post, preferably with some prior knowledge, too.

While I unfortunately haven't played Dark Sector - which, as far as I'm aware, isn't exactly a prequal to Warframe, albeit heavily based on the same premise, just heavily modified - I hope you'll forgive me for taking a crack at an explanation:

If we assume that, like Dark Sector, all Warframes are essential biomechanically engineered armors, using a mix of high technology and exotic energy (Void), all frames are, essentially, grown - not built.

In other words, when we equip a different frame, we are merely "injected" with different permutations of an engineered Technocyte virus, that then evolves the frame itself, and manifests with the wearer. This might also explain why there are so many hard to explain biological issues with each individual frame; no apparent way of breathing, differing eye placement, and so on.

When the warframes were "awakened", it's feasible that lore was primarily referring to the Technocyte strains for each Warframe, which were put into stasis (along with a host, as an enhanced security measure.) So, while we've seen in trailers that awakened warframes do indeed have a "host", it is possible that it is merely one of (or the only) remaining mature virus of that particular Technocyte strain.
This would explain why we see more than one of each Warframe; after the mature strain of a particular Warframe is awakened, it becomes available for others to use, and while we are, essentially, individuals, one type of Warframe is merely multiple copies of the same strain of Technocyte being utilized by many.

Now, given that each frame is already, in some fashion, invading the hosts body (to explain the biological issue of sustaining the host with each frame), it is quite feasible that there are - and will be - frames that are more intrusive than other frames, as each frame is a result of R&D in relation to a specific theme, meaning that each frame was developed by evolving the Technocyte virus and the Void energy it uses.
This R&D also explains the existence of Infested, i.e. Murphy's Law. B
While the Infested are the product of the Technocyte virus breaking its bonds; uncontrollably mutated, aggressively invading new hosts, and so on, it is likely that there are warframes that come close to the same extent of intrusion upon the host, but are still controllable.

One such Warframe, is Typhus: While the Technocyte strain designated as "Typhus" is very invasive - the result of an R&D path that explored the possibility of fusing not only the Technocyte with Void Energy, but also the living body of its host - it is not agressive, nor uncontrollable.
Because we also know that, as already mentioned, each frame must intrude upon the hosts body in some fashion, each frame must also be able to be "removed" without harming the host. So while Typhus is highly intrusive, it can still be removed, despite feeding heavily upon its host while active.

Edited by Santiak

Talky-Wordy

I'm starting to see your point of view, and I really want to start pushing to write more lore for Typhus (My forte, not to stroke my own ego. :P) but the sad truth is, we can't tell the devs how to do their jobs.

Sh*t, if I had a nickel for every time I had to type that...

All we can really do is try to make suggestions for the Devs to spring-board their own ideas off of and write their own Lore. Because in the end it is their game, and understand that I don't want to write something, and then have it be contradictory to what the devs have written for it. Y'know? I don't wanna argue, what say we shake hands over this little spat, eh'?

While I unfortunately haven't played Dark Sector - which, as far as I'm aware, isn't exactly a prequal to Warframe, albeit heavily based on the same premise, just heavily modified - I hope you'll forgive me for taking a crack at an explanation:

If we assume that, like Dark Sector, all Warframes are essential biomechanically engineered armors, using a mix of high technology and exotic energy (Void), all frames are, essentially, grown - not built.

In other words, when we equip a different frame, we are merely "injected" with different permutations of an engineered Technocyte virus, that then evolves the frame itself, and manifests with the wearer. This might also explain why there are so many hard to explain biological issues with each individual frame; no apparent way of breathing, differing eye placement, and so on.

When the warframes were "awakened", it's feasible that lore was primarily referring to the Technocyte strains for each Warframe, which were put into stasis (along with a host, as an enhanced security measure.) So, while we've seen in trailers that awakened warframes do indeed have a "host", it is possible that it is merely one of (or the only) remaining mature virus of that particular Technocyte strain.

This would explain why we see more than one of each Warframe; after the mature strain of a particular Warframe is awakened, it becomes available for others to use, and while we are, essentially, individuals, one type of Warframe is merely multiple copies of the same strain of Technocyte being utilized by many.

Now, given that each frame is already, in some fashion, invading the hosts body (to explain the biological issue of sustaining the host with each frame), it is quite feasible that there are - and will be - frames that are more intrusive than other frames, as each frame is a result of R&D in relation to a specific theme, meaning that each frame was developed by evolving the Technocyte virus and the Void energy it uses.

This R&D also explains the existence of Infested, i.e. Murphy's Law. B

While the Infested are the product of the Technocyte virus breaking its bonds; uncontrollably mutated, aggressively invading new hosts, and so on, it is likely that there are warframes that come close to the same extent of intrusion upon the host, but are still controllable.

One such Warframe, is Typhus: While the Technocyte strain designated as "Typhus" is very invasive - the result of an R&D path that explored the possibility of fusing not only the Technocyte with Void Energy, but also the living body of its host - it is not agressive, nor uncontrollable.

Because we also know that, as already mentioned, each frame must intrude upon the hosts body in some fashion, each frame must also be able to be "removed" without harming the host. So while Typhus is highly intrusive, it can still be removed, despite feeding heavily upon its host while active.

Urgh, bit late here. Sorry if my wording is somewhat messy. :\

Give this man a medal and a job at DE, hes makes an amazing lore based explanation that couldn't be better. +1 to you good sir/madam!

Tidied up. People are welcome to their own opinions. Please don't attack one another because you all disagree. People are welcome to say they dislike a design.

However when arguing over the design winds up derailing the thread then the whole house burns down, so let's try to stay civil and not engage one another with hostility, yeah?

I hate the helmet with the Teeth. I hate it pure and simple. It is evil looking. Almost like Anti-tenno. Not for the the good guys. It is pure and simply evil. And does not belong in this game. But do not let me stop you from making something that should not belong in this game.

Also the pictures of scorpions and flowers. I can understand you are going for a certain feel here. But this is not right type of frame for Tenno to be wearing. If you maybe make him less evil looking, I would consider a second look.

Red is not the designer of Zephyr, Liger Inuzuka is, in other words Volkovyi. My name is on the Wiki, you will see I am creator of the well-known thread with Zephyr, my name is also in the streams and respective Prime Time episodes.

When contacting a hard working artist, it is not a good thing to talk about how much you hate the work over and over as that is not any sort of constructive feedback. Your aggressive writing will be viewed as insulting and as such no one else will give thought to your words. You do not understand how to speak with an artist.

Just wondering a bit about this part - which, if I recall correctly, is the part you recently added.

While the ever-present issue of lacking lore exacerbates things, I was wondering if it's your interpretation, that the Warframes are stand-alone entities? While it is a bit outside the main topic, how would you then explain our interaction with the warframes - what are we if not the wearer of them? Or did you imagine the intelligence of Typhus (which I take it you are refering to) to somehow interact with the intellect of the wearer, such as potentially "taking control"?

Going by your origin story, I imagined they had much the same reaction to the potential of Typhus, but for a slightly different reason:
(Going a bit off-track, but feel I need to include it to justify the origin story)

So, if we assume that Infested are the outcome of what could be best described as a "Rogue Technocyte virus", aggressively invading new hosts, the way to explain this behaviour could possibly be, that part of the code for the aforementioned rogue virus, was to constantly adapt to the situation. In other words, it was designed to allow Tenno greater flexibility in missions, by having their Warframe actively adapt to the circumstances.

But, as with everything - in accordance with Murphy's Law of "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", the virus interpreted this as instructions to devour any and all biological mass it came across (overcoming the constant need for adaptation, by eliminating biological diversity save for its own).
In other words, the Infested only live to evolve and eradicate, guided by a paradoxial paradigm of destructionalism; the notion that the whole can be destroyed by any constituent part, the paradox arising by their interpretation, that the only "safe" adaptation, is their own.

In view of this, all of the actions of the Infested, can be explained by them attempting to adapt, either by absorbing the biomass, or - if available - the abilities they deem necessary to survive and adapt. This also explains why we have been defending cryopods from them, and frequently help our enemies keeping them in check. They are, however, only capable of mutating biomass using Void energy, so they can't evolve beyond the capabilities of whatever technocyte strains they've incorporated. (This also meant that their original purpose, was to allow the wearer of the "Infested" Warframe, to actively switch to any other technocyte strain within him or her.)

(The origin part:)
Seeing as Typhus is the first warframe to have an innate and powerful ability to absorb and utilize biological matter, the Orokin quickly realized what it would mean, should the Infested gain his abilities. Not only would they be able to infest large quantities of biomass - as they are now - but they would be able to manipulate that biomass, effectively allowing them to reach their full potential. They would no longer be limited to mutate by what little void energy they could scrounge together, but utilize the very biomass they aquire to do it.

Realizing this, the Orokin quickly deemed Typhus a M.A.D.; should the Infested ever reach critical mass, his strain of Technocyte would be the only thing capable of effectively counteracting them - fighting fire with fire, so to speak.

As a result, he was exiled in preparation for such a day.
As infested incursions escalate to ever increasing heights, such a day is rapidly approaching, and the Lotus is searching feverishly for the now mythical Typhus.

Anywho, I apologize again if I seem to "invade" too much on your concept. I hope you can appreciate it's only a manifestation of my awe in your concept - but just get the broom if I turn into too much of nuisance. ;)

Edit: For those who might have noticed my posts missing, it was a misunderstanding brought on by sleep deprevation - on both parts - no harm, or drama, done. :)
Edit edit: Just felt I wanted to highlight that the above suggestion isn't meant as linking Typhus with the Infested; they are for all intents and purposes as far removed from each other as Volt and the Corpus are - from what I understand from the OPs concept, and fully agree with as being the way to go. Not only do their modus operandum differ, their very remote affiliation is merely the fact that they inhabit the same archetypical elemental sphere; they are divided into two distinct seperate sub-divisions within said sphere.

In other words - as RedSkittlez has pointed out - the fact that they are both biological in nature, is not meant to falsely conclude that their nature is the same. The notion that they're related beyond that of both dealing in the biological, is a false equivalency: one is aggressively infesting, and violently mutating victims - the other is parasitical to the host - much like a disease (thus the name), and only the host, but not aggressive, nor mutative towards him/her.

Or to put it another way:

- Infested sustain themselves by using biomass to, effectively, reproduce.

- Typhus uses biomass to endure by feeding and incorporating it.

The same difference as if you compared planting an apple tree, with eating an apple.

Edited by Santiak

No one can say you're invading ! You're creating not just a back story for Typhus but presenting and justifying why Typhus can exist, why he is not an "infested warframe" and (to me that's the most insteresting part) you are deeply thinking and working to create a lore that will perfectly fit in this world.

So Santiak, continue like this, I'm sure DE look all this and when Typhus will jump into action his back story will be the most impressive of all.

Edited by Cyriann

Wow! Lots going on in this thread still. Good stuff!

Love the Santiak lore...

...Now, given that each frame is already, in some fashion, invading the hosts body (to explain the biological issue with each frame being able to sustain the host, as mentioned above), it is quite feasible that there are - and will be - frames that are more intrusive than other frames, as each frame is a result of R&D down a specific path; meaning that each frame was developed by evolving the Technocyte virus and the Void energy it uses, in order to fill or explore a possible role for it to fill.

This R&D also explains the existence of Infested, i.e. Murphy's Law.

While the Infested are the product of the Technocyte virus breaking its bonds; uncontrolable mutation, aggressively invading new hosts, and so on, it is likely that there are warframes that come close to the same extent of intrusion upon the host, but are still controllable...

Really cool! Pretty much what I imagine for Lore too, even though it's loosely explained anywhere (maybe that's good- let us all imagine). I like where your head' s at and fully support your lore-writing skillz!

Redskittlez,

That helm in the upper center of the 'sketch' is amazing- with the samurai stylings. My fav of the lot of them! Would want :)

To those who commented on my feedback, while I can't quote all of you without seeming terribly fond of myself; thank you for the support - much appreciated. :S

Sorry for the following slight derail:
Actually inspired me to finally write up one of the pieces of fiction that daily plays in my over-sized, hat-included skull (see avatar), and what's more, the courage to post it as well. Hope you like it ;o

Just need to add one thing though, but it is a spoiler for the fan-fiction linked above, so be warned:

It's not actually a derailing, as it's a piece of fiction related to this concept.

Edited by Santiak

Just wondering a bit about this part - which, if I recall correctly, is the part you recently added.

While the ever-present issue of lacking lore exacerbates things, I was wondering if it's your interpretation, that the Warframes are stand-alone entities? While it is a bit outside the main topic, how would you then explain our interaction with the warframes - what are we if not the wearer of them? Or did you imagine the intelligence of Typhus (which I take it you are refering to) to somehow interact with the intellect of the wearer, such as potentially "taking control"?

Going by your origin story, I imagined they had much the same reaction to the potential of Typhus, but for a slightly different reason:

(Going a bit off-track, but feel I need to include it to justify the origin story)

So, if we assume that Infested are the outcome of what could be best described as a "Rogue Technocyte virus", aggressively invading new hosts, the way to explain this behaviour could possibly be, that part of the code for the aforementioned rogue virus, was to constantly adapt to the situation. In other words, it was designed to allow Tenno greater flexibility in missions, by having their Warframe actively adapt to the circumstances.

But, as with everything - in accordance with Murphy's Law of "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", the virus interpreted this as instructions to devour any and all biological mass it came across (overcoming the constant need for adaptation, by eliminating biological diversity save for its own).

In other words, the Infested only live to evolve and eradicate, guided by a paradoxial paradigm of destructionalism; the notion that the whole can be destroyed by any constituent part, the paradox arising by their interpretation, that the only "safe" adaptation, is their own.

In view of this, all of the actions of the Infested, can be explained by them attempting to adapt, either by absorbing the biomass, or - if available - the abilities they deem necessary to survive and adapt. This also explains why we have been defending cryopods from them, and frequently help our enemies keeping them in check. They are, however, only capable of mutating biomass using Void energy, so they can't evolve beyond the capabilities of whatever technocyte strains they've incorporated. (This also meant that their original purpose, was to allow the wearer of the "Infested" Warframe, to actively switch to any other technocyte strain within him or her.)

(The origin part:)

Seeing as Typhus is the first warframe to have an innate and powerful ability to absorb and utilize biological matter, the Orokin quickly realized what it would mean, should the Infested gain his abilities. Not only would they be able to infest large quantities of biomass - as they are now - but they would be able to manipulate that biomass, effectively allowing them to reach their full potential. They would no longer be limited to mutate by what little void energy they could scrounge together, but utilize the very biomass they aquire to do it.

Realizing this, the Orokin quickly deemed Typhus a M.A.D.; should the Infested ever reach critical mass, his strain of Technocyte would be the only thing capable of effectively counteracting them - fighting fire with fire, so to speak.

As a result, he was exiled in preparation for such a day.

As infested incursions escalate to ever increasing heights, such a day is rapidly approaching, and the Lotus is searching feverishly for the now mythical Typhus.

Anywho, I apologize again if I seem to "invade" too much on your concept. I hope you can appreciate it's only a manifestation of my awe in your concept - but just get the broom if I turn into too much of nuisance. ;)

Dude this is just mind blowing my amazing you know that right? and i don't see how at all you'd be come like a nuisance cause your just being amazing.