Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Typhus - The Parasite Warframe

RedSkittlez

I appreciate your feedback and concerns but, how so a copy of Saryn? She uses toxic, Typhus uses viral and matter from his opponents. Also shes more of a DoT tank while Typhus is a glass cannon/leech. While we are at it, why like Valkyr? The original concept "Locust" was out before Valkyr was. Yes his ulty is like that of Hydro's but also again, he was on the threads before the frame came out, hence why I'm in the process of changing it.

Furthermore, powers being like other powers? Look at a Fireball and Freeze, both projectiles. Next, Loki invisibility and Ash's smokescreen. Rhino Charge and Slash Dash. Need I go on? I've had this argument several times already and I can prove time and time again that nothing is truely original, just a remake of something.

Why is having twins wrong? Look at Excalibur and Nyx, a carbon copy of one another in looks.

It looks more like you want to start an argument with me due to the fact you didn't read the entire post.

I think I said twice that the artwork was fine and would be a good addition to the game. If this alone is added to the game then you should be entierly satisfied.

So let me explain you again what's wrong with the mechanics:

- poison/viral theme already exists in game. Not being a carbon copy doesn't mean it's not too similar.

- Spells are too generic. "Does damage". Wow.

- dots make lousy warframes. See all the hydroid, oberon, ember & co threads.

- 1 looks like vaklyr's rip line, 2 is an evil themed carbon copy of oberon (gonna be so OP, lol), and 4 is just an hydroid with viral tentacles. Woohoo...

Now there are many, many, underdevelopped themes in this game. Your artwork could be used to make an offensive nekros or some sort of sorcerer, or if you want a good old comparison, to a dungeon and dragon warlock. There are just too many unexplored possibilities to waste time making clones IMO. That's just me but I still want the original over the copy, most of the times.

Edited by sixmille

I think I said twice that the artwork was fine and would be a good addition to the game. If this alone is added to the game then you should be entierly satisfied.

- poison/viral theme already exists in game. Not being a carbon copy doesn't mean it's not too similar.

- 1 looks like vaklyr's rip line, 2 is an evil themed carbon copy of oberon (gonna be so OP, lol), and 4 is just an hydroid with viral tentacles. Woohoo...

Now there are many, many, underdevelopped themes in this game. Your artwork could be used to make an offensive nekros or some sort of sorcerer, or if you want a good old comparison, to a dungeon and dragon warlock. There are just too many unexplored possibilities to waste time making clones IMO. That's just me but I still want the original over the copy, most of the times.

Viral affects health and Toxic is damage over time. But I've seen some of the under developed frames hell I kinda have one of them but I'm fine with out it being noticed. The thing about it is as me and a friend found out its all about the pretty pretty pictures and Typhus is more glass cannon than anything he isn't about tanking. Understand that all abilities will be the same there is no true real original new ability. Most of them are as the Devs stated are inspired by Mortal Kombat.

It's painful to see posts like these sometimes.

While you may be attempting to help develop the idea (albeit in a rather rude and non-constructive manner), this idea has been around for a long time, way before Oberon and Hydroid as well. OP obviously put a lot of effort into developing this concept, so I think it is rather uncalled for to berate his concept without paying attention to the details.

OP's concept also has nothing whatsoever to do with sorcery, dark magic and the lot. You're telling him off for developing a concept that he likes just because it doesn't fit your ideals of a Warframe that the game is (supposedly) lacking, and I feel is rather unfair as well.

/rantover

Viral affects health and Toxic is damage over time. But I've seen some of the under developed frames hell I kinda have one of them but I'm fine with out it being noticed. The thing about it is as me and a friend found out its all about the pretty pretty pictures and Typhus is more glass cannon than anything he isn't about tanking. Understand that all abilities will be the same there is no true real original new ability. Most of them are as the Devs stated are inspired by Mortal Kombat.

Well there's a reason why artists aren't content designers. Nice painting don't make fun gameplay. Here the pictures are pretty and I'm 100% sure it's the only reason why this thread is so popular. Because the suggested gameplay mechanics are just, like I said, unimaginative and my educated guess would be that the warframe would be accused of being underpowered because it has absolutely zero teamplay element. That's just a "me see, me kill" set of DoT spells. Which is the worst kind of ability, if we take a look at warframe's track of record.

The devs say a lot of stuff, and there is, here and there, a power which is quite similar to another power. That's often the case with pure damage powers. There's just enough of that and so far the latest frames don't even have pure damage spells at all, because there's too much of this thing already, and all damage spells have been used and tried ad nauseum by us, players.

Now I'm all for pretty stuff being added to the game but this should be in fan art and not in fan concept, because if the art is great, the concept isn't.

Well there's a reason why artists aren't content designers. Nice painting don't make fun gameplay. Here the pictures are pretty and I'm 100% sure it's the only reason why this thread is so popular. Because the suggested gameplay mechanics are just, like I said, unimaginative and my educated guess would be that the warframe would be accused of being underpowered because it has absolutely zero teamplay element. That's just a "me see, me kill" set of DoT spells. Which is the worst kind of ability, if we take a look at warframe's track of record.

The devs say a lot of stuff, and there is, here and there, a power which is quite similar to another power. That's often the case with pure damage powers. There's just enough of that and so far the latest frames don't even have pure damage spells at all, because there's too much of this thing already, and all damage spells have been used and tried ad nauseum by us, players.

Now I'm all for pretty stuff being added to the game but this should be in fan art and not in fan concept, because if the art is great, the concept isn't.

I do actually remember now. That this is supposed to be your stand alone solo warframe, no team play involved with him. Oh wait that's right there is one of those already Rhino. But Typhus is supposed to be your stand alone Glasscanon. I also talk to the creator everyday and we actually had a dev tell him to make a concept of him. So that's why he started in fan art and is now in concepts. I would suggest you back down now please cause your trying to tell some one how they should make a concept and that isn't welcomed at all by any one, unless its asked for. But its also not your call on what can and will be allowed or placed in the game. Edited by AmatsuNoir

I do actually remember now. That this is supposed to be your stand alone solo warframe no team play involved with him. I also talk to the creator everyday and we actually had a dev tell him to make a concept of him. So that's why he started in fan art and is now in concepts. I would suggest you back down now please cause your trying to tell some one how they should make a concept and that isn't welcomed at all by any one, unless its asked for. But its also not your call on what can and will be allowed or placed in the game.

Of course it's not my call. The devs may take it as is because it's ready and doesn't require much work. Why spending time making concepts when someone else does it for free? who cares if it's bad? That's free.

Now, excuse me, but this is a public forum and when opening such threads, you're also accepting critiques, even blunt ones saying you didn't do a good job and should go back to the design board.

Edited by Letter13
Let's not make disrespectful comments.

Of course it's not my call. The devs may take it as is because it's ready and doesn't require much work. Why spending time making concepts when someone else does it for free? who cares if it's bad? That's free.

Now, excuse me, but this is a public forum and when opening such threads, you're also accepting critiques, even blunt ones saying you didn't do a good job and should go back to the design board. 

That's just it though, you aren't really critiquing his concept, you're comparing it to things that have existed for much less time and attempting to push for a completely different design for his abilities (as has been said, he's a fragile, deadly parasite, not a dark mage or the likes). There is a fine line between constructive criticism and just being obtuse.

I understand a lot of the feedback being given about Typhus, however I'd just like to point out that I'd designed Typhus before a lot of the more recent frames. I'd originally designed it in June of last year which was well before even Nova and Vauban were released.

I get it, there are people out there who are not going to like it, that some people will hate it because it's not their thing... but this is something I like and I'd like to see in the game (even though it's entirely up to DE, which I understand). Everyone is welcome to an opinion here, but please try to avoid the back and forth arguing.

To those who've come to my defense, I appreciate your support of Typhus but please try to avoid chastizing others for their negative opinions on Typhus, as this turns into flaming which will derail the thread.

To those who don't like Typhus, I'd really appreciate it if you were constructive with your feedback. Just saying things like "This doesn't deserve to be in the game" or "I hope this never makes it" is hurtful and doesn't really help me improve Typhus as a concept. I don't want to force this down anyone's throat, so please don't treat it as if it were.

That's just it though, you aren't really critiquing his concept, you're comparing it to things that have existed for much less time and attempting to push for a completely different design for his abilities (as has been said, he's a fragile, deadly parasite, not a dark mage or the likes). There is a fine line between constructive criticism and just being obtuse.

I'm not pushing for anything. I'm merely giving examples of something that would be a positive addition to the game while keeping in mind what's in the game currently, what works and what doesn't. Now, I have a little challenge for you: try to find a purely damage based warframe that hasn't been nerfed to the ground. Try to find me a dot based frame which isn't considered as "bad" by the playerbase. Keep in mind that i'm not talking about nice animations and cool deadly spores flying around, but only about game mechanics.

The answer is: there's none. DoT based warframes don't work well in this game because the devs can't make it work well. Not that they're bad or lazy (they probably spent a lot of time banging their heads on their desks trying to find a solution actually) but they can't find the right balance. Make it too powerful and it's going to be the next candidate for a severe nerf because people don't like room cleaning spells. Make it similar to existing DoTs and it's going to be laughed at and not welcomed in lvl 30+ npcs killing parties. So why spending so much dev time for something that won't work and will be frustrating on both ends?

Also it seems that this concept is flawed because so far the devs don't add pure damage warframes without any utility powers, be it control, heal, tanking, mobility or various buffs. Even nova has some crowd control. Here it's just "does damage with a cool animation". That's not how this game works, that's not how every single warframe in this game works, and that's not really what the devs seem to be into. Now that's just a wild guess but it's also probably why it has never been added to the game even with 60+ pages of "wow awesome" comments from people amazed by aesthetics. And in its current state with its current theme, Typhus will probably remain pretty fan art with people occasionally yelling here and there at the devs because hey, they didn't add it yet to the game, unless the devs just want free stuff and don't care about keeping warframes unique and trying to make them on par with existing stuff. Or they can take the fan art, discarding all the powers suggestions and do their own thing with it and then everyone will be happy with that, including myself.

Edited by sixmille

I understand a lot of the feedback being given about Typhus, however I'd just like to point out that I'd designed Typhus before a lot of the more recent frames. I'd originally designed it in June of last year which was well before even Nova and Vauban were released.

I get it, there are people out there who are not going to like it, that some people will hate it because it's not their thing... but this is something I like and I'd like to see in the game (even though it's entirely up to DE, which I understand). Everyone is welcome to an opinion here, but please try to avoid the back and forth arguing.

To those who've come to my defense, I appreciate your support of Typhus but please try to avoid chastizing others for their negative opinions on Typhus, as this turns into flaming which will derail the thread.

To those who don't like Typhus, I'd really appreciate it if you were constructive with your feedback. Just saying things like "This doesn't deserve to be in the game" or "I hope this never makes it" is hurtful and doesn't really help me improve Typhus as a concept. I don't want to force this down anyone's throat, so please don't treat it as if it were.

I was about to make a very flamed response to the person, but after reading this ill swallow my anger. The only problems is alot of his comparisons are straight up wrong. But im REALLY trying to hold back on making a very long drawn out post to explain all of that, lol its hard XD

Edited by Senketsu_

I'm not pushing for anything. I'm merely giving examples of something that would be a positive addition to the game while keeping in mind what's in the game currently, what works and what doesn't. Now, I have a little challenge for you: try to find a purely damage based warframe that hasn't been nerfed to the ground. Try to find me a dot based frame which isn't considered as "bad" by the playerbase. Keep in mind that i'm not talking about nice animations and cool deadly spores flying around, but only about game mechanics.

The answer is: there's none. DoT based warframes don't work well in this game because the devs can't make it work well. Not that they're bad or lazy (they probably spent a lot of time banging their heads on their desks trying to find a solution actually) but they can't find the right balance. Make it too powerful and it's going to be the next candidate for a severe nerf because people don't like room cleaning spells. Make it similar to existing DoTs and it's going to be laughed at and not welcomed in lvl 30+ npcs killing parties. So why spending so much dev time for something that won't work and will be frustrating on both ends?

Also it seems that this concept is flawed because so far the devs don't add pure damage warframes without any utility powers, be it control, heal, tanking or various buffs. Even nova has some crowd control. Here it's just "does damage with a cool animation". That's not how this game works, that's not how every single warframe in this game works, and that's not really what the devs seem to be into. Now that's just a wild guess but it's also probably why it has never been added to the game even with 60+ pages of "wow awesome" comments from people amazed by aesthetics. And in its current state with its current theme, Typhus will probably remain pretty fan art with people occasionally yelling here and there at the devs because hey, they didn't add it yet to the game, unless the devs just want free stuff and don't care about keeping warframes unique and trying to make them on par with existing stuff. Or they can take the fan art and do their own thing with it and then everyone will be happy with that, including myself.

DEDracie said he sent it to his bosses to be looked at. He loves it and wants it ingame. btw just quickly looked at all of your gripes, most of them are flawed and baseless. ive been playing since easter of 2013 this fits in warframe more then most.

Edited by Senketsu_

-snip-

Hate to say it dude, but you really shouldn't speak about what DE wants in the game. No one except DE knows what they want to see in the game, and we players don't have any right to say what does and doesn't fit in the game (I mean c'mon, if Hydroid were a fan based frame a lot of people would say "This frame doesn't belong because it's ridiculous", "It turns into a frickin PUDDLE that isn't ninja at all" and "Hydroid used Splash it's super effective!"). The last real fan-based frame that was added (Zephyr) had been on the forums nearly a year before it was added. 

Point is, you don't, I don't, Red doesn't, no one here knows what DE wants.

That aside, please step back a bit. You've said your piece and your comments are really quite incendiary now.

Hate to say it dude, but you really shouldn't speak about what DE wants in the game. No one except DE knows what they want to see in the game, and we players don't have any right to say what does and doesn't fit in the game (I mean c'mon, if Hydroid were a fan based frame a lot of people would say "This frame doesn't belong because it's ridiculous", "It turns into a frickin PUDDLE that isn't ninja at all" and "Hydroid used Splash it's super effective!"). The last real fan-based frame that was added (Zephyr) had been on the forums nearly a year before it was added. 

Point is, you don't, I don't, Red doesn't, no one here knows what DE wants.

That aside, please step back a bit. You've said your piece and your comments are really quite incendiary now.

Did I say "I know what DE wants and X is going to happen"? Like everything in this thread except "wow awesome" comments, my posts are made of assumptions and guesses. Yes no one knows what DE wants, but one can hope they keep some consistency. That's my bias, if it wasn't clear I'm sorry about that. Now from that bias I'm doing some theorycrafting based on my observations. You may disagree with the bias but the same observations may be done by anyone.

Did I say "I know what DE wants and X is going to happen"? Like everything in this thread except "wow awesome" comments, my posts are made of assumptions and guesses. Yes no one knows what DE wants, but one can hope they keep some consistency. That's my bias, if it wasn't clear I'm sorry about that. Now from that bias I'm doing some theorycrafting based on my observations. You may disagree with the bias but the same observations may be done by anyone.

Ok, Sixmille. Yuo enter this thread to criticize Red's work, fine, BUT you are not listening or may I suppose, hearing, any answer. So I'll say it only once :

Chut your mouth and be quiet ! Criticizing someone work is something that must be done. But in a positive way, "Typhus is not accurate to this game" that's the only thing you say, and many others have said, with that no one can elaborate or re-work. You just came in and...

Why do I bother after all... Idiots are every where...

Sorry about that guys, but he seriously pissed me off.

People also love reality shows over books

Generalisation right there. I happen to hate reality TV. Ugh, stuff is so stupid and drives me up the wall.

Now a good book? Give it to me and don't expect to see me for a few days.

Critique: this is bad because I think so.

Constructive: this is bad, because theese reasons. I suggest maby adding this, to make it a better concept. .

See the difference?

Please stop comparing and calling for changes to REDS concept.

If you just dont like the concept, there are many others in the forum.

Lol all those powers look like clones of valkyr, hydroid and saryn. That's just bad design if DE decides to add this without a deep overhaul of the thing. I don't mind the artwork being used, but these powers, name and viral concept would be really underwhelming. This would basically be a male clone of saryn. Who wants twice the same stuff...

All right, I'm up for a bit of debating now. First, let's address your saying that Typhus has no "utility" and is "damage/dot" only. Typhus actually does have some utility/survivability skills, they just only effect him. Both Devour and Cannibalize Armor buff/heal him in some way. Now, as for the comparisons to the other three frames(Hydroid, Saryn, and Valkyr). Saryn and Valkyr are both Tanks with innate high survivability, while Typhus is a Glass Cannon(I feel like he would probably have the lowest base stats in the game) who relies on his self buffs and killing enemies to survive. His Viral effect is also different from Saryn's Toxic effect, as they effect and damage enemies differently.

Now about the power similarities. The only thing Devour and Ripline have in common is that they are both Scorpion-esque spear attacks, but they serve entirely different purposes. Ripline is for moving around and pulling enemies towards yourself. Devour is for dealing damage and healing yourself. Boiling Blood is just an AoE attack that doesn't have any real similarities with any other abilities aside from being AoE. Cannibalize Armor has nothing to compare to and is pretty darn unique. And currently, Typhus' 4th ability is being reworked by Red and is no longer Cataclysm. If an earlier picture by Red is to believed, it will be some sort of "Destroyer" mode for Typhus that buffs him up and makes him stronger, unless Red has changed his mind.

Think that about covers everything you've said.

All right, I'm up for a bit of debating now. First, let's address your saying that Typhus has no "utility" and is "damage/dot" only. Typhus actually does have some utility/survivability skills, they just only effect him. Both Devour and Cannibalize Armor buff/heal him in some way. Now, as for the comparisons to the other three frames(Hydroid, Saryn, and Valkyr). Saryn and Valkyr are both Tanks with innate high survivability, while Typhus is a Glass Cannon(I feel like he would probably have the lowest base stats in the game) who relies on his self buffs and killing enemies to survive. His Viral effect is also different from Saryn's Toxic effect, as they effect and damage enemies differently.

Now about the power similarities. The only thing Devour and Ripline have in common is that they are both Scorpion-esque spear attacks, but they serve entirely different purposes. Ripline is for moving around and pulling enemies towards yourself. Devour is for dealing damage and healing yourself. Boiling Blood is just an AoE attack that doesn't have any real similarities with any other abilities aside from being AoE. Cannibalize Armor has nothing to compare to and is pretty darn unique. And currently, Typhus' 4th ability is being reworked by Red and is no longer Cataclysm. If an earlier picture by Red is to believed, it will be some sort of "Destroyer" mode for Typhus that buffs him up and makes him stronger, unless Red has changed his mind.

Think that about covers everything you've said.

That covers maybe 20% of what I said. You think the theme is original and unique, I don't. But I have yet to read something related to how useful such a pure dot based warframe with some self heals would be. You do know that whatever the MMO is, any class with no team aspect, be it heal, buffs or bonus will be considered as garbage? This one is no different, see how many people play ember or saryn, both DoT based almost purely offensive frames in an endgame environment (let's say a 1h 3 survival). Now see how many people play nova, trinity, nekros, nyx, rhino or even loki... All of them having some more or less strong team oriented powers. think I made quite a long post about it already so I'm not gonna quote myself. No team bonuses in a coop game... How's that good design... A nice skin but a frame people will only play for solo lvl 15 content? Well the blunt me says it's a waste of good dev time. There's already Valkyr for that.

Edited by sixmille

That covers maybe 20% of what I said. You think the theme is original and unique, I don't. But I have yet to read something related to how useful such a pure dot based warframe with some self heals would be(1). You do know that whatever the MMO is, any class with no team aspect, be it heal, buffs or bonus will be considered as garbage? This one is no different(2), see how many people play ember or saryn, both DoT based almost purely offensive frames in an endgame environment (let's say a 1h 3 survival(3). Now see how many people play nova, trinity, nekros, nyx, rhino or even loki... All of them having some more or less strong team oriented powers. think I made quite a long post about it already so I'm not gonna quote myself. No team bonuses in a coop game... How's that good design...(4) A nice skin but a frame people will only play for solo lvl 15 content? Well the blunt me says it's a waste of good dev time. There's already Valkyr for that.

1. He would be useful because he would be able to kill stuff and heal himself with two of his powers, self healing and buffing seems pretty useful. Why does he HAVE to do something beyond that? And why can't "fun" factor into any of this?

2. That's you're opinion. And as you point out, there are already frame that are purely damage based, and despite you saying otherwise, yes, people do indeed use them. Again, bringing up the fact that people just enjoy playing them.

3. DE has said that they are not balancing for that and that is not their "end game". They don't even think people should be playing a single match for that long.

4. Because not every frame/class needs to have a team skill. Some are just pure damage dealers.

Also, a point on Typhus helping the team: Viral's proc lowers enemy health by 50% and each of his powers would more than likely have a 100% proc chance(judging by other warframe's powers). That would make him pretty handy on a team going up against cloned and regular flesh targets.