Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tremor, The Terraformer - Earth Frame Concept

Archwizard

I was thinking about the release of Zephyr; she's the first Warframe whose gravity is a base stat. She's a Wind-elemental, and follows all of the archetypal niches that that entails: she's an air support, who flies, floats, knocks enemies into the air, etc. Knowing that the Design Council list of frames ends with an Earth frame (and refusing to believe Oberon was all we'd get), I began to think about the opposite of a Wind frame, and what kind of unexplored niches would go hand-in-hand with such an element. Someone grounded- no, someone in the ground, someone who makes you fear the ground beneath your feet.

And so, Tremor, the terraformer, the saboteur.

Tremor is short- not afflicted by dwarfism, but below average height, shorter than Excalibur; it helps him to fit in small spaces. (No real plans for his width- can be fat or skinny, though I suppose it’d be better for him to be as shrimpy as possible.) His visual motif should invoke a mole, or perhaps an antlion larva.

His Noble idle animations should display a casual demeanor, with attitude: the kind of person you’d expect to swing a leg over the arm of a chair while sitting in it, who believes himself too good for any form of strict standards. Sort of a punk; Loki should seem paranoid compared to this guy.

His Agile idle animations should make him seem very aggressive, perhaps even taunting and cracking his knuckles, loudly thinking “LEMME AT ’EM”; he’s an angry midget, a pint-sized powerhouse who knows it.

As for all that combat stuff-

Stats (subject to change):

150 Health (450 at Rank 30)

75 Shields (225 at Rank 30)
100 Energy (150 at Rank 30)

65 Armor

80 Stamina

1.1 Speed; as long as he’s on the ground, he’s in his element

Increased gravity, falls faster than other frames

“V” Aura, “-“ and “D” polarities

Abilities (For obvious reasons, none of Tremor's skills can be cast in the air.):

Burrow (25 Energy):

NJTUiIK.png

Tremor digs into the ground for X sec, becoming functionally invisible, intangible, and immune to further application of damage/debuffs. While underground, Tremor’s movement speed is tripled and he can bypass any surface vulnerable to Punch Through, but cannot use weapons, jump or vault; climbing must be done via stairs. When the effect ends, Tremor erupts from the ground, leaping high into the air through any obstacles (to prevent clipping if the player hides under a box) and dealing radial Impact/Blast damage. If Burrow is cast while near and facing a wall, Tremor fill dig into the wall instead, allowing him to climb vertically and erupt horizontally. Time spent underground affected by Power Duration; eruption is affected by Power Range and Strength.

-          And for those already saying, “How will you dig inside of a ship?”: Frost can cast his skills in a desert, Loki and Ash can hide from canonically heat-sensing robots, and Zephyr can cast her skills in a vacuum.

-          "Impact/Blast? What's that mean?" Same thing Impact/Radiation means for Oberon.

Barricade (50 Energy):

V6wBSzz.png

Tremor taps his foot, pushing a stone wall out of the ground at the target location (initially about as tall as Rhino and twice his width), facing perpendicular to his vision. The wall acts like an ordinary environmental object; it can be climbed, blocks line-of-sight, impedes standard movement, and completely blocks any attack from either side without Punch Through (including explosions). When pointed at/summoned against a vertical surface, Barricade will instead create a horizontal platform, provided another Tenno isn't in the way. Barricades can be placed on one another. When summoned underneath/near an enemy, they are launched into the air (a la Bounce), or knocked back (if placed horizontally); when summoned underneath an ally, it's treated like a one-charge Bounce. Short duration, to reduce trolling in narrow corridors. Targeting range and wall size affected by Power Range; wall duration affected by Power Duration.

Fissure (75 Energy):

SILV39A.png

Tremor cracks the ground as he walks, marking it with jagged lines underneath himself over a period of X sec. Enemies that step over the line fall through the ground into a fissure, instantly staggering them and dealing Impact damage, as well as rooting them for the duration of the fissure. Jumping or falling will create breaks in the fissure lines. Buff and fissure duration affected by Power Duration; initial damage affected by Power Strength.

-          If cast before or during Burrow, the fissure will continue to form "over" Tremor instead.

Eruption (100 Energy):

tqXrJKw.png

Tremor slams the ground (a la Ice Wave) and marks the ground in a circle underneath himself, akin to a landmine. After X sec, the trap becomes active and "detonates" underneath the next target to enter its bounds, periodically pushing up stalagmites to impale enemies (inflicting stagger) and deal several hits of Impact/Slash/Puncture damage (low status chance) in a wider radius. On the final tick, enemies within range are afflicted with a Status debuff based on the environment the skill is cast in (but NOT dealing additional elemental damage). “Mine” lasts for 60 sec, unaffected by Power Duration; mine activation scales inversely with Power Duration, while impaling period scales directly; activation and damage radii affected Power Range; impalement damage affected by Power Strength.

-          If cast in a Corpus Gas City, Eruption will inflict the Gas status; Corpus Outpost, Cold; Grineer Forest, Toxin (betcha regret the Cicero Crisis now, eh?); Orokin Void, Radiation; Orokin Derelict, Viral, etc.

-          CAN be recast while another mine is active- even stacked.

Please ignore the fact that I suck at drawing stick figures in Paint.

ALTERNATE ULTIMATE

Meteor Shower (100 Energy):

Tremor punches the ground, flinging stones and debris skyward, and marking the ground beneath all enemies within range. After X sec, the rubble accelerates and rains down onto each of the marked locations, dealing heavy radial Impact/Blast damage at each impact point and ragdolling all enemies hit. Delay scales inversely with Power Duration; marking radius and individual explosions affected Power Range; explosion damage affected by Power Strength.

Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Update 2/14/14: Changed Dhara's name to Tremor.

Update 3/27/15: Tremor has been revisited, but I've created a new thread in which to do so. Find Tremor 2.0 here!

Edited by Archwizard

Heh, we happened to post an Earth frame on the same day. 

Burrow sounds like something that'll give me too much head aches. There's already plenty of floors that are too thin to house even a midget, without mentioning the already too prevalent glitches that makes you fall out of the map. I mean, the idea is sound, but the environment clearly wasn't designed for that, you'd have the same issue Zephyr is having with the limit on jump height, but toward the bottom instead. 

I like Barricade, tho the need for a stationary cover in the game is questionable at best (look at Volt). However being able to bump it under the feet of our enemies might just make up for that downside. Even then, it would be a bit gimmicky to be practical. Maybe have the skill spawn more walls based on power strength so that you have a line skill like Frost's? It would make using the wall as cover questionable, but as I said I don't think there's much value to be had in a stationary wall. 

Fissure sounds great, but I fear it faces the same issues as Burrow. I mean, yes, I get the game isn't realist, but that's the kind of thing that would bother me. 

Eruption feels kinda wasted as an ult to me. I mean, how large would the mine be? How likely would it be to be detonated by a single mook ahead from the pack? MOAs are practically anti-mine units. Maybe plant more than one mines, with one particularly strong in the middle? Not too keen on the changing element nature. It's great when you control the element it gets, but what if the tileset happens to be controlled by a faction which resists whatever element the tileset spawns? I'd just swap in more mines in exchange for less elemental damage. 

I hope I don't sound too harsh, just trying to point out what could be wrong with the abilities. 

Oh my god the burrow idea would be so fun! Fingers crossed.

Edit: maybe barricade could be destroyed by team mates using charge attacks to prevent trolling

Then, the teammates would troll Dhara. 

Eruption feels kinda wasted as an ult to me. I mean, how large would the mine be? How likely would it be to be detonated by a single mook ahead from the pack? MOAs are practically anti-mine units. Maybe plant more than one mines, with one particularly strong in the middle? Not too keen on the changing element nature. It's great when you control the element it gets, but what if the tileset happens to be controlled by a faction which resists whatever element the tileset spawns? I'd just swap in more mines in exchange for less elemental damage. 

First, just to clarify: Eruption would not deal elemental damage based on the environment. It would just deal the status effect of that element. Infested resist Viral damage... but they rely heavily on health as protection, which the Viral debuff destroys.

The only one I can't see working in that case would be Magnetic damage. In which case, I never said each tileset needed a unique damage type- just use Electricity on Corpus ships.

Second, the idea is that Eruption would have two radii: The "mine" itself, and the explosion (the latter of which would be significantly wider). A player could, for example, draw a circle with Fissure, wait till a few enemies get caught up, then place the mine near one of them.

Edited by Archwizard

I like Barricade, tho the need for a stationary cover in the game is questionable at best (look at Volt). However being able to bump it under the feet of our enemies might just make up for that downside. Even then, it would be a bit gimmicky to be practical. Maybe have the skill spawn more walls based on power strength so that you have a line skill like Frost's? It would make using the wall as cover questionable, but as I said I don't think there's much value to be had in a stationary wall. 

Think about the applications if one were to place it, say, behind oneself in a narrow tunnel when followed by enemies? In front of a defense object? Underneath oneself, to give a boost? On a wall, to make a platform?

First, just to clarify: Eruption would not deal elemental damage based on the environment. It would just deal the status effect of that element. Infested resist Viral damage... but they rely heavily on health as protection, which the Viral debuff destroys.

The only one I can't see working in that case would be Magnetic damage. In which case, I never said each tileset needed a unique damage type- just use Electricity on Corpus ships.

Second, the idea is that Eruption would have two radii: The "mine" itself, and the explosion (the latter of which would be significantly wider). A player could, for example, draw a circle with Fissure, wait till a few enemies get caught up, then place the mine near one of them.

I see then. 

Think about the applications if one were to place it, say, behind oneself in a narrow tunnel when followed by enemies? In front of a defense object? Underneath oneself, to give a boost? On a wall, to make a platform?

Can't really say I honestly feel a need nor a want for either of these applications, personally. 

Can't really say I honestly feel a need nor a want for either of these applications, personally. 

Actually wondering right now whether I should add the ability to put walls on top/side of other walls.

Probably will. Endless parkour capabilities.

Also, have you thought about, perhaps, placing it between an ally and a heavy unit? Since you can cast it at range, after all. Or making a barrier against boss attacks such as Raptor, etc etc etc.

Edited by Archwizard

Burrow sounds like something that'll give me too much head aches. There's already plenty of floors that are too thin to house even a midget, without mentioning the already too prevalent glitches that makes you fall out of the map. 

Fissure sounds great, but I fear it faces the same issues as Burrow. I mean, yes, I get the game isn't realist, but that's the kind of thing that would bother me. 

The idea in my mind was that, during Burrow, Dhara would be functionally underground from the player's perspective, but literally be the inevitable dust cloud that would denote the player's presence on the battlefield from an engine perspective.

As for Fissure, I wouldn't expect them to visually sink any lower than their ankles. I'm sure the devs have some idea of how deep the catwalks on Corpus ships are, or can make some workaround like having the floor rise up to meet them rather than sinking. They have certainly proven their creativity with mechanics.

I mean both said aloud don't sound as impressive as "burrows into the ground" and "drops them into the floor", but as long as the basic mechanic is there, I'm fine.

I had sort of a vague idea, though I'm a bit artistically challenged in terms of animate objects.

Short, as I said in the OP. His lower armplates would be wide and hollow, resembling flared sleeves, with short blade-like ridges on the outer side (toward the pinky) running from his elbows and extending past his hands; the "sleeves" would conceal a set of shovel-esque "claws" for him to dig with (to make him look more like a mole: disproportionate claws). His chest would have something of a jedi-esque vest, the kind that points slightly at the shoulders and comes down to a V around the sternum; his lower chest would be wrapped with extra armor padding for lying on his stomach (and make him appear thicker-around than he is), like if you put a pillow against your chest and wrapped some bandages around it. He'd have ridges lining his shins like the ones on his arms, but rising from above his ankles and stopping at the knees (don't want to repeat Frost). For the back, I was thinking he could have two sets of fin-spines dotting his back akin to a stegosaurus, as a sort of homage to the "landshark" (bulette). Clawed feet with cleeted shoes.

It was hard to think of anything for the helmet that would subtly say "mole" without making it ridiculous, but perhaps something of a knight's helmet design, using the curve in the front to hint at the nose (perhaps serving a practical use as a gas mask)? With an alt-helmet that gives him goggles? Or the other way around... though I feel either would make him a bit close to Trinity or Zephyr.

Really my idea is quite ridiculous when I say it aloud.

Personally though, I'd be happy with any visual design. Doesn't have to be a mole, doesn't even have to invoke an animal (although it inevitably will- 14 other frames are associated with insects or animals, with the latest three being far more deliberate). This is more about the powers... though if someone else wants to loan me a design, I won't object.

Edited by Archwizard

Dhara's a bit of a weird name. All of the other elemental frames just have another word for their element, really simple.

There aren't really a lot of good "earth" names though, in terms of natural disasters. "Landslide" and "Faultline" are a bit long for my tastes (they sound like Transformers, not Tenno), and it'd be jarring to call him "Quake" when he has nothing to do with earthquakes... and Terra's just a bit too fem.

Beyond that you have names like... Clay. Which has the converse problem of being an actual name. It'd be like begging to have players insist the next frames be named Fred and Steve.

Edited by Archwizard

Eruption feels kinda wasted as an ult to me. 

Admittedly, I do see your point that Eruption is a little bland. My original idea was that Dhara would just summon stalagmites to fling all of his targets into the air, causing them to fall back on the spikes... but that seemed a little redundant compared to Barrier, which is an idea that I prefer, frankly.

Eruption was basically an experiment in FF-style Geomancy, but I can see it having issues.

If you have any other suggestion instead of Eruption, or on how to improve it...

Edited by Archwizard

Eh I have just a small change to the idea... Its mostly his name you know? Since Zephyr name is a fancy name for wind. You should consider renaming Tremor to Gaia which is another fancy name similar to Zephyr which means Earth. I think that name fits him better when you have two frames like these as a set.

Eh I have just a small change to the idea... Its mostly his name you know? Since Zephyr name is a fancy name for wind. You should consider renaming Tremor to Gaia which is another fancy name similar to Zephyr which means Earth. I think that name fits him better when you have two frames like these as a set.

Gaia's the name of a female Greek deity of earth.

Granting that Zephyr comes from Zephyrus, who was a male Greek deity, but ultimately "zephyr" is a disambiguation referring to a wind from the west. Gaia's always a proper noun- and it always refers to the goddess.

A tremor can refer to any kind of shaking, generally used to refer to the ground. It's actually very appropriate for a frame who gets around by traveling through the ground.

Added a new pick for his ultimate to the OP.

As you can probably tell from the trend, I really like the idea of his AoE being ground-targeted rather than just hitting everyone around him willy-nilly. It would synergize pretty well with his ability to root and direct enemies, at any rate.

I was thinking about the release of Zephyr; she's the first Warframe whose gravity is a base stat. She's a Wind-elemental, and follows all of the archetypal niches that that entails: she's an air support, who flies, floats, knocks enemies into the air, etc. Knowing that the Design Council list of frames ends with an Earth frame (and refusing to believe Oberon was all we'd get), I began to think about the opposite of a Wind frame, and what kind of unexplored niches would go hand-in-hand with such an element. Someone grounded- no, someone in the ground, someone who makes you fear the ground beneath your feet.

And so, Tremor, the terraformer, the saboteur.

Tremor is short- not afflicted by dwarfism, but below average height, shorter than Excalibur; it helps him to fit in small spaces. (No real plans for his width- can be fat or skinny, though I suppose it’d be better for him to be as shrimpy as possible.) His visual motif should invoke a mole, or perhaps an antlion larva.

His Noble idle animations should display a casual demeanor, with attitude: the kind of person you’d expect to swing a leg over the arm of a chair while sitting in it, who believes himself too good for any form of strict standards. Sort of a punk; Loki should seem paranoid compared to this guy.

His Agile idle animations should make him seem very aggressive, perhaps even taunting and cracking his knuckles, loudly thinking “LEMME AT ’EM”; he’s an angry midget, a pint-sized powerhouse who knows it.

As for all that combat stuff-

Stats:

150 Health (450 at Rank 30)

75 Shields (225 at Rank 30)

100 Energy (150 at Rank 30)

65 Armor

80 Stamina

1.1 Speed; as long as he’s on the ground, he’s in his element

Increased gravity, falls faster than other frames

“V” Aura, “-“ and “D” polarities

For obvious reasons, none of Tremor's skills can be cast in the air.

Burrow (25 Energy): Tremor digs into the ground for X sec, becoming functionally invisible, intangible, and immune to further application of damage/debuffs. While underground, Tremor’s movement speed is tripled and he can bypass any surface vulnerable to Punch Through, but cannot attack, use other skills, jump or vault; climbing must be done via stairs. When the effect ends, Tremor erupts from the ground, leaping high into the air through any obstacles (to prevent clipping if the player hides under a box) and dealing radial Impact/Blast damage. If Burrow is cast while near and facing a wall, Tremor fill dig into the wall instead, allowing him to climb vertically and erupt horizontally. Time spent underground affected by Power Duration; eruption is affected by Power Range and Strength.

-          And for those already saying, “How will you dig inside of a ship?”: Frost can cast his skills in a desert, Loki and Ash can hide from canonically heat-sensing robots, and Zephyr can cast her skills in a vacuum.

-          "Impact/Blast? What's that mean?" Same thing Impact/Radiation means for Oberon.

Barricade (50 Energy): Tremor stomps, pushing a stone wall out of the ground at the target location (initially about as tall as Rhino and twice his width), facing perpendicular to his vision. The wall acts like an ordinary environmental object; it can be climbed, blocks line-of-sight, impedes standard movement, and completely blocks any attack from either side without Punch Through (including explosions). When pointed at/summoned against a vertical surface, Barricade will instead create a horizontal platform, provided another Tenno isn't in the way. Barricades can be placed on one another. When summoned underneath/near an enemy, they are launched into the air (a la Bounce), or knocked back (if placed horizontally); when summoned underneath an ally, it's treated like a one-charge Bounce. Short duration, to reduce trolling in narrow corridors. Targeting range and wall size affected by Power Range; wall duration affected by Power Duration.

Fissure (75 Energy): Tremor cracks the ground as he walks, marking it with jagged lines underneath himself over a period of X sec. Enemies that step over the line fall through the ground into a fissure, instantly staggering them and dealing Impact damage, as well as rooting them for the duration of the fissure. Jumping or falling will create breaks in the fissure lines. Buff and fissure duration affected by Power Duration; initial damage affected by Power Strength.

-          If cast before using Burrow, the fissure will continue to form "over" Tremor instead.

Eruption (100 Energy): Tremor marks the ground in a circle beneath his feet, akin to a landmine. After X sec, the “mine” becomes active and detonates underneath the next target to enter its bounds, dealing heavy (Impact or Blast) damage in a wider radius, and inflicting a status debuff based on the environment the skill is cast in (but NOT dealing additional elemental damage). “Mine” lasts for 60 sec, unaffected by Power Duration; mine activation scales inversely with Power Duration; activation radius and explosion affected Power Range; explosion damage affected by Power Strength.

-          If cast in a Corpus Gas City, Eruption will inflict the Gas status; Corpus Outpost, Cold; Grineer Forest, Toxin (betcha regret the Cicero Crisis now, eh?); Orokin Void, Radiation; Orokin Derelict, Viral, etc.

ALTERNATE ULTIMATE

Meteor Shower (100 Energy): Tremor punches the ground, flinging stones and debris skyward, and marking the ground beneath all enemies within range. After X sec, the rubble accelerates and rains down onto each of the marked locations, dealing heavy radial Impact/Blast damage at each impact point and ragdolling all enemies hit. Delay scales inversely with Power Duration; marking radius and individual explosions affected Power Range; explosion damage affected by Power Strength.

Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Update 2/14: Changed Dhara's name to Tremor.

So you'd basically want him to look similar to a rock golem? that works for me.