Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested 2.0: New Units And Improvements To Old Ones [Wip]

Paradoxbomb

Oh it's been so long since there's been a good enemy concept thread, with IMAGES no less! Bravo!

I really like some of these enemy concepts as well as overhauls, though I'd like to make additional changes (as I always do with enemy/boss concept ideas). However this time there's just so much to say that simply writing a reply won't be enough :/ That's why I'm planning to write my own Infested overhaul thread, and hope it gets some attention like yours :0 I'll post the link for you when it's ready.

I will give some simple feedback on a few of the enemies though.

I would prefer if instead of a ground unit like Asilid, the basic Infested ranged unit would be flying bat-like creatures with barbed tails that fling thorns at the player. Good mobility, and better attack angles. They'd also be less outright irritating for players as things like Asilid would repeatedly have walls of meatshields due to other ground Infested. Plus it adds a little visual variety, Asilids would just look like yet another Charger to the player.

I don't like the Cordyceps, mostly because I have my own plan for an Infested buff unit (It's related to my own Phorid overhaul concept). Plus, Cordycepped enemies become nothing more but spongier, which...isn't that engaging.

The way Regulators work is that they "motivate" Grineers with messages from their leaders. How would that work for the Infested? They're zombies, they can't be motivated by ideologies or something. It'd be better if the whole "buff aura" thing was added to the Ancient Healer instead of having the Drifters.

I'll be sure to add the link the OP, figure this could act as a megathread. You also made me realize they completely forgot the concept of flying infested, I'll have to think on that one.

As for Drifters, I suppose you could argue it's not so much motivating the infested as it is summoning them to it's position, and if motivational speeches are enough to make Grineer deal increased damage in this universe, I imagine the drifter could have a means of buffing nearby units, be it through spores or psychic influence. Nonetheless you make a good point, the buff could simply be delegated to a new or existing Ancient.

Infestlings are unnecessary as the Technocyte are actually caused by those orange nanites.

Maybe DE could make them a threat. Other than that I like these concepts. 

I didn't consider the Infestlings a vector of the virus (although I guess they could be as well), just an evolved, mobile version of that weird material that grows on the walls and floors. It would be interesting with the spores randomly floating around could pose a potentially hazard as well though.

I'll be sure to add the link the OP, figure this could act as a megathread. You also made me realize they completely forgot the concept of flying infested, I'll have to think on that one.

As for Drifters, I suppose you could argue it's not so much motivating the infested as it is summoning them to it's position, and if motivational speeches are enough to make Grineer deal increased damage in this universe, I imagine the drifter could have a means of buffing nearby units, be it through spores or psychic influence. Nonetheless you make a good point, the buff could simply be delegated to a new or existing Ancient.

I didn't consider the Infestlings a vector of the virus (although I guess they could be as well), just an evolved, mobile version of that weird material that grows on the walls and floors. It would be interesting with the spores randomly floating around could pose a potentially hazard as well though.

Maybe have the infestlings be walking nanite spreaders. The Ancients are suppose to be plague spreaders i don't see them pumping out the orange nanites.

Edited by RustyNaps

Have not read it all yet.

I love the Runner ideas, especially the Friendly Fire.

I imagine with your changes for them to act like Kamikazes in Serious Sam :)

Dangerous, fast and loud, but also quite useful to the player if you think quickly.

Do want!

I'll read the rest soon...

I would love to see more variety of infested... Because I swear I see the same old charger and runner all the way in Open Beta... Even the Ancients looked like Runners. I'm grateful now they look a lot less human with that update. And with these varieties I might actually feel like I'm fighting mutating aliens BECAUSE there are more variety.

I would love to see more variety of infested... Because I swear I see the same old charger and runner all the way in Open Beta... Even the Ancients looked like Runners. I'm grateful now they look a lot less human with that update. And with these varieties I might actually feel like I'm fighting mutating aliens BECAUSE there are more variety.

Credit where it's due though, I did like the red texture on pre-U9 Disruptors, I don't know, the red glowing veins really stood out to me. Kinda wish they would reincorporate that into the newer ones since the only real distinct portion of their bodies compared to healers is there mouth tentacles.

Nonetheless the redesign to the Ancients was certainly a welcome change (glad you approve of my own designs as well :D)

Credit where it's due though, I did like the red texture on pre-U9 Disruptors, I don't know, the red glowing veins really stood out to me. Kinda wish they would reincorporate that into the newer ones since the only real distinct portion of their bodies compared to healers is there mouth tentacles.

Nonetheless the redesign to the Ancients was certainly a welcome change (glad you approve of my own designs as well :D)

Considering these aliens are mutants. There really aren't many mutations considering they all look the same you know? I welcome new enemies that I can enjoy killing.

Considering these aliens are mutants. There really aren't many mutations considering they all look the same you know? I welcome new enemies that I can enjoy killing.

Infested aren't aliens. They are mutants formed by robotic nanites called Technocyte that latch onto biomass and take control of it.

The Orokin created these microscopic robots to kill off the Sentient. Until the Technocyte became a self aware entity that is twisting and turning people into monsters trying to work at their minds to join their collective.

Edited by RustyNaps

Infested aren't aliens. They are mutants formed by robotic nanites called Technocyte that latch onto biomass and take control of it.

The Orokin created these microscopic robots to kill off the Sentient. Until the Technocyte became a self aware entity that is twisting and turning people into monsters trying to work at their minds to join their collective.

Too complicated lore wise for me. But a monster is a monster either way and needs to be killed. That's enough for me anyways.

Hmmm so many nice concepts for new Infested units. That's what players need now.... new Infested! Better models! New units!

Some ideas of yours are crazy and amazing. Personally, I really love those little Infestlings(?) sort of unit, this would make Infested equivalent of Leechers, Rollers etc. 

Also, I always wanted Runners to have those big bubbles that say: "Watch out, I am gonna go kabooom!" You just put this dream of mine in your post :)

(I think many players wanted Runners to look like that).

Great work up there! Waiting for some new ideas of your.

Infestlings should hide in infested walls/floors when they spawn.

They do. They're sneaky little buggers.

EDIT: I guess from an aesthetic standpoint, I should have specified that's how they should spawn when the infested are "alert" as well as if you just brush through it. will add to OP.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Well I finally wrote a part of that Infested Overhaul concept thread i was talking about a few days ago. It's still not complete, but check it out if you want. Mind if i use some of your images later, for example the Infestlings and Runners?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/180923-mados-concept-diary-faction-overhaul-infested-20wip/

Door blocking infested. What about double-press doors(friendship-doors) - two players must press "X" together to open door - meh, not a big deal. But now imagine -  grotesque infested in a size of giant door, angry, big and ready to shout something like "You shall not pass!". You trying to run away from infested - nope, door blocked by him. Your energy drained and you must recover - too bad, even doors want to kill you. Rushing thru enemies - you will have to kill biggest of them alone.

To go along with the door thing, the infested could take over corpus systems like the cameras that scan rooms. The vicinity around them should be covered in assimilated goo that erupts with hidden infested when the security cameras spot you.

Thats what I always wanted to see!