Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested 2.0: New Units And Improvements To Old Ones [Wip]

Paradoxbomb

Take notes DE

Taking notes is a rare occurrence in DE's Staff RNG drop table ;)

On the other hand yes please make it happen! I need less Grineer love. (Less bleed proc) and more Infested love! Really want them back :'(                                               

Edited by RustyNaps

stelprdb5306075.jpg

Yeah, I had a feeling they weren't actual hives, just kind of look like them at first glance. Some freaky looking fungus though. I see why you used them for inspiration.

Take notes DE

Taking notes is a rare occurrence in DE's Staff RNG drop table ;)

On the other hand yes please make it happen! I need less Grineer love. (Less bleed proc) and more Infested love! Really want them back :'(                                               

Too true, the infested have needed some attention for a while. Besides Lephantis, I don't think they've gotten a single new unit since I joined the game back in U7. They only "upgrade" they got in five major updates were Ancients getting a purely cosmetic redesign and crawlers being made slightly more competent. It's just too bad they still have the handicap of being crawlers.

Even the Corpus have gotten more love than the infested, and they're in the process of being wiped off the solar map!

Yeah, I had a feeling they weren't actual hives, just kind of look like them at first glance. Some freaky looking fungus though. I see why you used them for inspiration.

Too true, the infested have needed some attention for a while. Besides Lephantis, I don't think they've gotten a single new unit since I joined the game back in U7. They only "upgrade" they got in five major updates were Ancients getting a purely cosmetic redesign and crawlers being made slightly more competent. It's just too bad they still have the handicap of being crawlers.

Even the Corpus have gotten more love than the infested, and they're in the process of being wiped off the solar map!

I actually have some sketches of crawler redesigns. I was gonna give them spider legs :D.

Corpus need more heavies. Imo, DE could use the old mk1. Hyena as a corpus heavy unit. Nerfed of course to the proper levels. I feel this new event project tethra will be the manufacturing of Heavy unit proxies.

I actually have some sketches of crawler redesigns. I was gonna give them spider legs :D.

Corpus need more heavies. Imo, DE could use the old mk1. Hyena as a corpus heavy unit. Nerfed of course to the proper levels. I feel this new event project tethra will be the manufacturing of Heavy unit proxies.

1) to use the MK1 Hyena's would take away from the uniqueness of the Jackal, given that the MK1 Hyena was just a smaller Jackal.

2) It's pretty much confirmed that Tethra is a Grineer project, not a Corpus one, and further deduction points towards it being the introduction of the Grineer shipyard tileset. 

As for spiderlegs... I'd say give them very spindlely-spider-like front legs (in place of arms, just two, in my mind), but leave any kind of lower torso off. Keep them looking like something that has been reduced to crawling that way.

Edited by Morec0

1) to use the MK1 Hyena's would take away from the uniqueness of the Jackal, given that the MK1 Hyena was just a smaller Jackal.

I think it could still work even from a lore standpoint so long as the Hyena MK1 is restricted to planets past Venus. Sort of a "you stopped them producing the really big model, but they still have smaller, weaker prototypes to fall back on" situation. After all, what is the Raptor but a slightly bigger Osprey, or Ambulas just another MOA (although he desperately needs a rework too).

Personally I'd rather have a Hybrid of the MK1 and MK2 as Corpus heavies, fast and agile, but with standard issue weapons and no elemental abilities (unless they're a leader). Then just rename the bosses Alpha Hyenas and let them retain their unique attacks/abilities.

As for spiderlegs... I'd say give them very spindlely-spider-like front legs (in place of arms, just two, in my mind), but leave any kind of lower torso off. Keep them looking like something that has been reduced to crawling that way.

That was the plan! The chopped off part will have grown spider legs and the arms would be arched up then have spidery like legs bursting from the wrists, much like a Slasher from dead space.

I think it could still work even from a lore standpoint so long as the Hyena MK1 is restricted to planets past Venus. Sort of a "you stopped them producing the really big model, but they still have smaller, weaker prototypes to fall back on" situation. After all, what is the Raptor but a slightly bigger Osprey, or Ambulas just another MOA (although he desperately needs a rework too).

Personally I'd rather have a Hybrid of the MK1 and MK2 as Corpus heavies, fast and agile, but with standard issue weapons and no elemental abilities (unless they're a leader). Then just rename the bosses Alpha Hyenas and let them retain their unique attacks/abilities.

Yeah, but Ambulas is up for a model and fight update, and I"m of the mind that Raptor's model is also a placeholder. Of course, that whole thing is just my opinion. And I do think more Corpus heavy units are needed, but I think they shouldn't reuse current boss models (provided they're not bosses that are in need of an update) - ya know?

Edited by Morec0

Yeah, but Ambulas is up for a model and fight update, and I"m of the mind that Raptor's model is also a placeholder. Of course, that whole thing is just my opinion. And I do think more Corpus heavy units are needed, but I think they shouldn't reuse current boss models (provided they're not bosses that are in need of an update) - ya know?

Agreed, they should try to make unique models for new enemies when possible, although now you have me wondering if the Jackal is going to get an update soon (he looks okay but his fight definitely needs improvement). If they do update his model/battle, then the MK1 model as a normal mob is fair game.

Agreed, they should try to make unique models for new enemies when possible, although now you have me wondering if the Jackal is going to get an update soon (he looks okay but his fight definitely needs improvement). If they do update his model/battle, then the MK1 model as a normal mob is fair game.

Aye, IF he gets one, but, again; I'm not of the mind he even needs one. His model is unique, works for what he's meant to be a do, I think DE's got all their bases covered with what they have already. But yeah, if they do update his model/change it to something else, definitely make a new Corpus unit out of the original.

Start a Corpus unit thread!

Hmmm... perhaps...

Although I think there's already one floating around, probably worth taking a look at. As for me I'm content with working on and keeping this thread alive for now, so maybe some time down the road I'll start another thread (I also don't have too many ideas for new Corpus units off the top of my head).

Would you mind terribly if I left my little Infested design here?

It's a sort of cross between a Stalker and an Assassinate boss called Arachne.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/184592-arachne-infested-boss/

I like it, especially the randomness of the encounter based on how frequently you visit the derelicts. I'll be sure to add this to the player suggestions.

EDIT: Makes me think of the Leaper 2.0 on steroids :)

Edited by Paradoxbomb

EDIT: Makes me think of the Leaper 2.0 on steroids :)

Haha, it sort of does, doesn't it? Maybe make it a highly evolved form of Leaper?

Also, as further telegraphing of the disruption, it would be neat if the magnetic growth things on the Disruptor's shoulders started glowing bright blue and humming electrically before it slammed.

Edited by NeverEatTheLemonsAlone

I also made a thread a while ago for Leaders of the Infested faction with a few concepts. Care to take a look? I think we can all agree on a spider enemy, for one.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/179420-infested-leaders/

Added to players suggestions. I like them overall, though it should be possible to knock the creeper off yourself via some kind of QTE since solo players would be at a disadvantage without a teammate or those specific abilities (unless they're strictly a multiplayer enemy).

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Added to players suggestions. I like them overall, though it should be possible to knock the creeper off yourself via some kind of QTE since solo players would be at a disadvantage without a teammate or those specific abilities (unless they're strictly a multiplayer enemy).

Nah, a handspring will do just fine imo.

A late-ish update:

-Added an obligatory though much needed flying enemy, known for now as the Flier (artwork coming VERY soon, just need to scan it).

-Added the Golem Guardian, a slow and uncommon but very powerful infested heavy unit.

EDIT 1:

-In the interest of not looking like an imposing wall or text, I've put each enemy under a spoiler instead of just their images in order to streamline things a bit (still a pain to make changes to OP)

EDIT 2:

-Flier concept art added

Edited by Paradoxbomb

People make better designs than DE, put it in the game please +1

Heh heh, I appreciate the compliment. Thanks :D

Ehh, it's just that the current infested designs are something we're used to. Hell, when the new Ancients were first released I was TERRIFIED of them.

I think the first thing that ran through my head was "They're blue now. And squid monsters. Hmm... :/ "

They've grown on me though (mostly).

Edited by Paradoxbomb