Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Internet/network/pc Support. Here To Help

Hardharry

Question

Greetings,

I looked through the forum, and couldn't find a subject/thread on players helping other plays with PC/Network issues outside normal support. I would like to offer my assistance in this area. A+, going for Cisco cert, with about 7 years in technical support. This isn't a advertisement or anything, I don't have a business, its just my passion and hobby as a major nerd. :-)

I have noticed that alot of fellow Warframe players suffer from bad internet and other lag producing conditions. While my help may seem nice, the way I see it, for every connection I can help with is one less connection creating lag for me in game. It also helps me learn about hardware and ISP overseas that I wouldn't normally get experience with. 

Not sure, how this thread would work. Open for ideas. You can post your questions here, or contact me by private message.

Let's make it happin', Captain!

Edited by Trikein
minor edit

16 answers to this question

Speaking of network trouble, I haven't seen many complaints about Strict NAT or UPnP lately.

Didn't they change/improve the UPnP client with update 12? Or was that just the network analyser? Warframe has one of the better multiplayer systems where you can disable UPnP or change the ports. You have no idea how many other games I would like that control on. 

One of the biggest issues I have seen are people using laptops to play Warframe. Thats not bad in itself, but laptop usually means wireless, and wireless can be very temperamental in hard to measure ways. You may have great signal, good throughput, and still have latency issues. Especially with the G band becoming so crowded. Also, so many people have gateway combo's (ugg) or routers with default settings. I think there is plenty of room for improvement on the players side.

I still get the Strict NAT message every time I log in.

I gave up on it a long time ago...

Never give up, never surrender! 

Do you have the problem with other PC games? Or just Warframe? 

Also, how does the forum feel about Teamviewer or other remote support applications? I want to help, but I respect if the forum doesn't want such hands on support through a public forum.

Also, how does the forum feel about Teamviewer or other remote support applications? I want to help, but I respect if the forum doesn't want such hands on support through a public forum.

If you want to set it up privately with other users, that's your and their prerogative... but you can't really post that stuff out in the public since it does go against the fifth community rule (in regards to privacy and personal information).

If you want to set it up privately with other users, that's your and their prerogative... but you can't really post that stuff out in the public since it does go against the fifth community rule (in regards to privacy and personal information).

Understood. I don't think there will be a problem then. Some people hear screen viewing and scream "hacker". When really its all about a picture being worth a 1000 words. Wanted to ask to ere on side of caution.

Maybe I should start with what UPnP and NAT is and how they work?

Maybe I should start with what UPnP and NAT is and how they work?

Might be a good idea to include them in your original post using the edit button. If it's a lengthy explanation you can put them in spoiler tags to make them collapsible.

Most users on the forums, when they have network trouble, have difficulty accessing their routers, port forwarding properly or setting up UPnP.

Also I should give you a heads up that the in game message says "UPnP malfunctioning, please forward UDP ports #### and ####" when UPnP isn't working between Warframe and the router... and that even if the ports are forwarded, that message will still display (it displays so long as UPnP between the game/computer and router doesn't work properly).

Also I should give you a heads up that the in game message says "UPnP malfunctioning, please forward UDP ports #### and ####" when UPnP isn't working between Warframe and the router... and that even if the ports are forwarded, that message will still display (it displays so long as UPnP between the game/computer and router doesn't work properly).

Good to know. What's the current work around? Disable UPnP and manual forward? Or do you find its more often a AV firewall issue or something? 

Also, does anyone know the servers used for match making? Just looking for a IP that can be used to run tracert/pings to for testing.

Edited by Trikein

Never give up, never surrender! 

Do you have the problem with other PC games? Or just Warframe? 

I have no issues playing other games online. L4D, L4D2, Borderlands, Battlefield 3, CoD MW 2 and 3 all work fine in multi-player mode. Warframe is the only one that gives me trouble.

I replaced my router and my modem to see if having the newest equipment would make any difference. I've tried both of the ISPs that are available in my area. My current ISP is DSL. The other one was cable. I spent hours on the phone with both of them over the past year or so trying to get the ports opened up. They won't do it because of "security issues" unless I upgrade my service to a business package and at around $200 per month, it's just not in my budget. Therefore, I gave up.

A side note: A couple of weeks ago my internet service went down for a few days, due to the weather, and during that time I was able to use the tethering function on my mobile phone to get online. I did not get the Strict NAT error when playing through my phone.

Edited by DCypherThis13

I spent hours on the phone with both of them over the past year or so trying to get the ports opened up. They won't do it because of "security issues" unless I upgrade my service to a business package and at around $200 per month, it's just not in my budget. Therefore, I gave up.

A side note: A couple of weeks ago my internet service went down for a few days, due to the weather, and during that time I was able to use the tethering function on my mobile phone to get online. I did not get the Strict NAT error when playing through my phone.

Hmm, that sucks. I don't see how they can be blocking UPnP ports though if your other games work. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem/router devices do you have.  Kind of sounds like the people over the phone didnt know how to help, so was giving you a line. I can find out for you for sure though. 

Also, do you feel like taking another crack at it? I used to work for a ISP, so I know my way around them. But if your not feeling it, thats cool too.

:;Edit:: Let me guess..Frontier? If so, looks like they only block 25, 135, 137, 138, 139, 445, and 1025, See 

http://frontier.com/helpCenter/internet/web-safety/online-security-threats/how-is-frontier-protecting-its-customers-from-viruses-and-malware-

Edited by Trikein

Actually I have decided to leave Warframe because a certain "Grand Master". This is not the kind of player base I want to invest my time in. The council chat disgusts me. I won't even post names or give details of what happened. Im just gone. See ya!

Edited by Trikein

I need help.

I've tried playing on my laptop (Get disconnected at what appears to be almost randomly so I have given up on my laptop)

But my PC, I've just finished installing but I can't play!

I log in, and at first I got an error

Login Failed. Could not connect to the server. ERROR_INTERNET_NOT_RESOLVED

I quit verified my cache and relaunch, it happened again. I simply retyped my details in and logged in no problem?!?!

After that as soon as the menu loads I get an error

DNS Lookup Failed

I dont understand what is happening.

Logged out a couple hours and when I got back on started getting Strict NAT again.  Nothing on my end changed in the interim. and the ports I'm running the game through are open.

Disabled UPnP and cycled through all of the available port options (all also open) with the same result.