The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear De , Please "do" Something To Those Afk

iArucard

L4D and L4d2 are both the exact same group sizes and have votekick.

I'm sure there would be abuse of a votekick system, there always is, but its getting to a point where the potential abuses of a votekick system, especially if it required 3/4 votes, seem insignificant compared to the current afk, griefing, trolling etc. issues.

The issue I'm thinking about is when there are 2 players and 1 goes AFK. It would be nice to have a system in place to handle all situations. 

For example, a system that allows a player to mark another player as AFK after 60 seconds of dealing 0 damage. A dialogue box with a timer appears that must be dismissed or else the AFK player gets booted. Or even better, a cipher appears that must be solved... Maybe that is a bad idea ;)  

The issue I'm thinking about is when there are 2 players and 1 goes AFK. It would be nice to have a system in place to handle all situations. 

For example, a system that allows a player to mark another player as AFK after 60 seconds of dealing 0 damage. A dialogue box with a timer appears that must be dismissed or else the AFK player gets booted. Or even better, a cipher appears that must be solved... Maybe that is a bad idea ;)  

Good idea too , just like those website when you log in you need to type the code from the picture they provided.

In the months of playing this game (started around U7) I have never ever experienced an AFK player. Maybe I'm just lucky? Though the voting system I think is a GREAT idea. There are just some players that'd be great to kick out like, a**holes, and yes, AFKer's, even though I've never seen someone AFK yet. I'm all up for the voting system! ship it. 

I like the Idea of a Cipher.   Was used once in a game I use to play, when they were playing with features to help with afk-lvling.   Worked out pretty well, but sadly they took it out.  

I actually think the cipher is a pretty good idea and after 3 ciphers if they still remain AFK, they get booted.

They can create a system where if someone is AFK for about 3-5 minutes, the game would automatically boot them.

The problem is how do you "flag" someone as being AFK that doesn't interfere with play style choices (Some people just like running everywhere!)

That being said, AFK'ers haven't been a problem for me or my clanmates, but then again, maybe we are lucky.

I afk'd once on a group too. Had Mormons show up on the door when I thought it was suppose to be a UPS guy... took about 15 minutes to get them to shoo, and when I got back, I had enough time to type out a "Sorry" before the mission ended.

Lesson: AFK happens, sometimes unavoidably.

The problem is how do you "flag" someone as being AFK that doesn't interfere with play style choices (Some people just like running everywhere!)

That being said, AFK'ers haven't been a problem for me or my clanmates, but then again, maybe we are lucky.

I afk'd once on a group too. Had Mormons show up on the door when I thought it was suppose to be a UPS guy... took about 15 minutes to get them to shoo, and when I got back, I had enough time to type out a "Sorry" before the mission ended.

Lesson: AFK happens, sometimes unavoidably.

Yeah I don't mind AFK'ers either, but it sucks for a lot of the players who put in all the grind while these guys just stand around, you know what I mean. Also for the runners there can possibly something that would time them from a last kill to their next.

Unless it's a catalyst or reactor invasion I run solo.

No one afks in reactor or catalyst run because every minute counts. (Well all my pub runs never had any afkers).

Of course, with the invasion reward nerf I don't find it worth running any of them now a days.

I'm thinking a personal black list might be the better choice in for the problem. Since as many mention you can't grief other players with a personal blacklist. At worse the person with the black list might have a hard time finding a match if there are many names on it.

He just join my game and he start complaining lag , then door can't open , then go afk , I ask him to join another game , he just ignore me and continue staying, I was freaking &!$$ed off man

That happened to me. I couldn't get through the door, so I was stuck at the beginning of the level.

But then I killed a guy at the beginning of the level the rest of the team had missed, so if I hadn't been there, they would have had to run all the way back across the map. So the way I see it, I saved them time.

I vote for the Cipher, it sounds like a great way to make sure an unmoving player is actually conscious and there.

The only issue I find with the damage idea is if their sentinel is shooting and that might count as them doing damage (though I do vaguely remember something about a sentinel not firing if the warframe stops moving for too long. Something about "lazy" warframes, can't remember from where)

But I suggest this Cipher be voted on by the other players. On occasion I do go AFK for a minute or two on a mission, but I warn people in advance (Let's say a phone call comes and I have to go and answer it) but if I know it'll last more than 2-3 minutes I just abandon the mission.

Isn't that what the reputation system is all about? Humans can recognize AFKers much more easily then any system. So isn't it easier to simply let humans flag other humans as AFKers, leechers or whatever? There will be abusing, yes, of course. But if you make it so that the reputation/flag system will only react to a large amount of flags, then abusing will probably not be a big deal.

If some random person flags me as an AFKer even though I was not AFK, it won't cause any problems to me. Those flags could even expire after some amount of time. But if I'm AFKing all the time, then I will get flagged every time I join a game. There should be a clear difference between a person who got random flags for no reason and another person who is indeed causing trouble.

blacklist... a vote-kick system almost always has some sort of way around it.

a personal blacklist gives control to each and every player. it also solves a hundred other gripes various people have with each other.

rusher who refuses to slow down and help his teammate? blacklist.

acerbic jerk who wants to rail off on how everybody else "sucks"? blacklist.

add in the fact that we're hosting on our hardware, network, etc. and this should be a no-brainer.

it's our game as much as it is DE's, we should have the ability to self-regulate our experiences.

i've used a shotgun method from time to time by:

iptables -A INPUT -s <ip address> -j DROP

on my router. works great for at least the next day or so until dhcp based users reset their net connection.

but this is a very poor method and frequently i've banned someone who isn't necessarily the intended target.

Edited by xethier

Cipher might be too much since there are situations when a player is a minute without any fighting. For example defending a Mobile Defense objective while 3 out of 4 in the team are hunting the enemies in the hallway leading to the objective. It's already the short end of the stick to guard the objective while the rest of the group is more concerned about the end of the match kill count than actually safely getting the mission done. Cipher popping every minute of that would be the last straw.

Edited by Troppia

But what if there are two players, you are hosting. Guy gos AFK and you come to a double bypass door and don't want to leave because you say picked up a nice rare mod you needed. Who's to say the guy isn't going to come back for an hour... What do you do?

Isn't that what the reputation system is all about? Humans can recognize AFKers much more easily then any system. So isn't it easier to simply let humans flag other humans as AFKers, leechers or whatever? There will be abusing, yes, of course. But if you make it so that the reputation/flag system will only react to a large amount of flags, then abusing will probably not be a big deal.

If some random person flags me as an AFKer even though I was not AFK, it won't cause any problems to me. Those flags could even expire after some amount of time. But if I'm AFKing all the time, then I will get flagged every time I join a game. There should be a clear difference between a person who got random flags for no reason and another person who is indeed causing trouble.

Problem with people "flagging" others is that it can ruin the game for some players. What if you don't get along with someone or you don't like the way they play? If they get flagged they won't understand why... is it because they suck and don't live up to your expectation? That's what they will be thinking and they may even quit playing Warframe after some time.

Not 0 damage, imagine if you're with a volt or nova frame and you're frost or rhino! they would be so fast you wouldn't have time to deal any ind of damage. That's how on some missions people en up with 2 % damage dealt

Usually, I just run solo anyway- unless it's a potato BP, there's really no reason for me not to, and it saves so much headache. 

that said, I'd like to see a blacklist, if for no other reason than it's nice having that level of control over who I see in random pubs. A votekick system still leaves room that you'd run into the same player again- and, as others have said, is pretty open to abuse (though a good way around it would be to just give someone who got votekicked whatever loot had already been generated by the level- that way you couldn't troll someone by running an hour and a half survival and kick them at the end so they get nothing.) 

A black just means you never see that person again. Win/win, I'm thinking. 

but why the hell do you care??

Just go do your damn mission, its better this way, 50% more enemy spawns because you are not solo, you get all the kills and exp to the weapon you want, nobody gets in the way, nobody annoys you with stupid chat. I support AFK people!

More enemies = More kills = More exp = More fun.

Whether you AFK or not, More the Merrier.

My only problem is waiting for them at the Friendship doors.

Finally people who get it. The thread should've ended here.

The only thing that need be done is to remove friendship doors and I could literally not give two flying things which can never be found or given.

Which would get some one to make a click tool to do it for them.

long term fix, make Ignore Block/Blacklist players from matchmaking.  Once ignored you never see them in a game ever again.  Short term, vote kick.