Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Two Warframes On Same Computer?

LuckyS373NS

I wanted to play Warframe with my cousin while he was staying over, but the only computer in the house that actually works is my desktop. I was going to run two copies of the game at the same time so we could play together, but I'm not sure if that would result in a ban of one or both accounts. I know that having one player idle and being boosted by the other on the same machine isn't exactly allowed, but does that extend to having two actual people playing simultaneously?

To be honest if you could pull off something like that your a technical genius... I don't think that's a ban at all...

I'm using the Steam version normally, and using the non-Steam version through Sandboxie. I have two launchers open but I'm a bit afraid to launch in case I get banned. :/

I'm using the Steam version normally, and using the non-Steam version through Sandboxie. I have two launchers open but I'm a bit afraid to launch in case I get banned. :/

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe the ToS has the info you need? If it's not in there, then technically it's fine...but better safe than sorry. I'd try contacting Support.

as long as you don't edit the game you should be able to launch both at the same time without being banned... Heck its not like you bought the game and are running two games on one CD key.

You can not run two instances of Warframe on the same computer. 

If you're running it in a sandbox I have no idea if you can get into trouble... don't do it anyways. Either way your just watching one person play. 

Edited by Verryn

Even if you boot two copies of warframe you still have the problem of only one of you can play at a time. Assuming you're both joined in the same game, one just has to stand there. Just make an invite only match and one of you can just sit at the beginning I guess? Experience has a range on it anyway. By the time you get to the end the other person probably won't be getting XP. Unless you're playing defense. Either way I don't see anyone having a problem with this type of "Boosting" or running two games on the same computer....Your network might have a conflict though.

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe the ToS has the info you need? If it's not in there, then technically it's fine...but better safe than sorry. I'd try contacting Support.

I check the ToS and it doesn't explicitly say anything against it, but it allows DE to terminate my account with or without warning or reason. I think support is closed today, so I wouldn't really have any luck there.

Even if you boot two copies of warframe you still have the problem of only one of you can play at a time. Assuming you're both joined in the same game, one just has to stand there. Just make an invite only match and one of you can just sit at the beginning I guess? Experience has a range on it anyway. By the time you get to the end the other person probably won't be getting XP. Unless you're playing defense. Either way I don't see anyone having a problem with this type of "Boosting" or running two games on the same computer....Your network might have a conflict though.

I can get them to both keep focus with a program called Auto Window Manager, so input can go to both at the same time. I also have two monitors so we don't need to share a screen.

Edited by LuckyS373NS

Both games use the same exact executable name and type (both the steam and non-steam versions are the exact same version of the game), so when the launcher checks to see if Warframe is already running it will pick it up regardless of whether it's the Steam or Non-Steam version.

Even if it does work, I really wouldn't recommend it. The anti-cheat system is sometimes very temperamental, so if it detects multiple programs accessing certain locations in memory (even if both programs are only just Warframe) it might detect that as malicious behavior.

So yeah, you should contact support with a support ticket before trying... though I'm almost positive that it wouldn't work anyway.

well of course you can do that. how do you think you can run multiple poker accounts of the one room from single pc (ip).

Probably because that game doesn't have a "check to see if program is already running" portion of code like Warframe does? Not all games are coded equally. 

Theoretically you could probably run a separate copy in a virtual machine (if your PC has the horsepower) and assign a separate mouse, keyboard, monitor to that setup.

It's allot of work to do though, and the performance will probably be terrible.

I don't know if there's anything in the EULA about running multiple instances on the same machine though.

Both games use the same exact executable name and type (both the steam and non-steam versions are the exact same version of the game), so when the launcher checks to see if Warframe is already running it will pick it up regardless of whether it's the Steam or Non-Steam version.

Even if it does work, I really wouldn't recommend it. The anti-cheat system is sometimes very temperamental, so if it detects multiple programs accessing certain locations in memory (even if both programs are only just Warframe) it might detect that as malicious behavior.

So yeah, you should contact support with a support ticket before trying... though I'm almost positive that it wouldn't work anyway.

Yeah, the anti-cheat is really the problem. I dunno if I wanna risk it.

Theoretically you could probably run a separate copy in a virtual machine (if your PC has the horsepower) and assign a separate mouse, keyboard, monitor to that setup.

I don't know if there's anything in the EULA about running multiple instances on the same machine though.

I have two instances of the launcher working fine, that's not the problem. The EULA says nothing against two copies on the same machine.

Probably because that game doesn't have a "check to see if program is already running" portion of code like Warframe does? Not all games are coded equally. 

you are ignorant :S

anyway topic starter, you need to have some skill in it sphere in order to that. given that you asking such question - you do not have such knowledge. so i wouldn't recommend you do that. because you can mess it up.

you can run two or more very same applications on one pc without being detected by "big brother" but again, you need to have some understanding of what you are doing.

Edited by Althix

I check the ToS and it doesn't explicitly say anything against it, but it allows DE to terminate my account with or without warning or reason. I think support is closed today, so I wouldn't really have any luck there.

Canada celebrates our President day? Game developer companies vacation on a US Federal Holiday? What?

Edited by Arlayn

Canada celebrates our President day? Game developer companies vacation on a US Federal Holiday? What?

"Warframe Support will be CLOSED on Monday February 17 2014 and will re-open Tuesday February 18 2014" Right off of the main support page. I submitted a ticket for the hell of it, just to see if I get a response. Very unlikely, however. :/

Edited by LuckyS373NS

Even if you could run two instances of WF at the same time, how do you make both instances receive different keyboard/mouse/controller input at the same time?

Even if you could run two instances of WF at the same time, how do you make both instances receive different keyboard/mouse/controller input at the same time?

One would be using keyboard/mouse and the other would be on joystick. I have a program that allows me to keep windows focused at all times, so input wouldn't be lost.

-snip-

I have two instances of the launcher working fine, that's not the problem. The EULA says nothing against two copies on the same machine.

The Launcher really isn't the issue though.  It's really more of getting the whole shebang to run at the same time.  The virtual machine approach I suggested would avoid "OS related" issues, as you're running the 2nd copy on a virtual machine.  Performance would be terrible though.

It seems you're going through the right channels by asking the support desk though.  Just don't try to do it before asking and get banned as letter13 warned against.

Good luck Tenno.

Edited by sushidubya

The Launcher really isn't the issue though.  It's really more of getting the whole shebang to run at the same time.  The virtual machine approach I suggested would avoid "OS related" issues, as you're running the 2nd copy on a virtual machine.  Performance would be terrible though.

It seems you're going through the right channels by asking the support desk though.  Just don't try to do it before asking and get banned as letter13 warned against.

Good luck Tenno.

Thanks. Virtual machine would make the game S#&$ on itself, so I'm going to avoid that. For now I'm going to make sure each copy works fine by itself, then I'll try to get them working simultaneously once I get a response from support assuming that they say it's alright.

What you're describing is actually incorrect, at least because of modern technology, it is.

I can set up 2 keyboards, set up separate instances for those keyboards and each keyboard would be independant of itself -- This can be done in Synapse, actually -- Mice, as well...1 pointer for each mouse. Granted Razer hardware is a must, it's still easily accomplished.

Due to my business, I have an 8 monitor BenQ setup...When my business partner is around, we actually play Quake Arena on 4v4 monitors with 2 keyboards/2 mice...It's 100% doable.

I run a dual-live boot with Linux/Windows 7. I realize most people won't/don't know how to program for that...I don't expect them to but, 2 PC's using the same resources is far from a rarity, anymore.

The conflicting IP shouldn't be an issue, either because once it leaves the 4 corners of your residence, it's no longer necessarily tied to a MAC.

I'm curious how your packet load would split on the return, though...Very curious...Because while both sets of packets are streaming to the same source, your nic is essentially translating 2 different sets of constant information...NICs aren't really setup to handle 2 constant streams on a consumer motherboard...If this were a rack, we'd be having a different conversation but, I just don't know how that would rotate the protocol...

Your only actual issue in the 4 corners of this discussion is that executable.

You COULD Vbox it which, would eliminate the executable issue...But, Vboxing creates a "token ring" network allocation typically within the PC itself so, you'll have constant lag.

I'm going to screw around with a few ideas because this kicks a few doors open...Especially in regards to PCOIP...So, I'll post something again in a few.

Virtual boxing it is possible but, for a linux user, it's 2 lines of code away...

Warframe doesn't actually use that much resources...It really doesn't so, I could see a budget build being capable of running 2 instances.

Edited by MaskedSin

What you're describing is actually incorrect, at least because of modern technology, it is.

I can set up 2 keyboards, set up separate instances for those keyboards and each keyboard would be independant of itself -- This can be done in Synapse, actually -- Mice, as well...1 pointer for each mouse. Granted Razer hardware is a must, it's still easily accomplished.

Due to my business, I have an 8 monitor BenQ setup...When my business partner is around, we actually play Quake Arena on 4v4 monitors with 2 keyboards/2 mice...It's 100% doable.

I run a dual-live boot with Linux/Windows 7. I realize most people won't/don't know how to program for that...I don't expect them to but, 2 PC's using the same resources is far from a rarity, anymore.

The conflicting IP shouldn't be an issue, either because once it leaves the 4 corners of your residence, it's no longer necessarily tied to a MAC.

I'm curious how your packet load would split on the return, though...Very curious...Because while both sets of packets are streaming to the same source, your nic is essentially translating 2 different sets of constant information...NICs aren't really setup to handle 2 constant streams on a consumer motherboard...If this were a rack, we'd be having a different conversation but, I just don't know how that would rotate the protocol...

Your only actual issue in the 4 corners of this discussion is that executable.

You COULD Vbox it which, would eliminate the executable issue...But, Vboxing creates a "token ring" network allocation typically within the PC itself so, you'll have constant lag.

I'm going to screw around with a few ideas because this kicks a few doors open...Especially in regards to PCOIP...So, I'll post something again in a few.

Virtual boxing it is possible but, for a linux user, it's 2 lines of code away...

Warframe doesn't actually use that much resources...It really doesn't so, I could see a budget build being capable of running 2 instances.

Give this man a cookie!!!  He knows what's up!  XD