Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Two Warframes On Same Computer?

LuckyS373NS

I've done this a few times.

Ran one on Steam, ran a second copy via a virtual machine, on a second screen of course.

Steam version used Keyboard and mouse, Virtual one I used a Ps3 controller with. 

The Vbox would lag pretty hard, though...Especially when receiving 2 constant streams from different sources...

I wonder, did you ping, either while in the Vbox? Monitor IPs?

Short answer: No, not possible.

The problem is Warframe isn't setup to handle multi-client runtimes, unlike say EVE-Online. The client uses a default install directory and AppData storage under the active user. It can be done but your kinda dancing on the razor edge of a Terms of Service violation, as one user is only supposed to have 1 account. Typically one can assume that only one persons is sitting at the same computer at one time so, its a bit suspect if twice the traffic is coming off the same box.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/101168-how-to-open-warframe-2windows-in-1-computer

It would also take beefy hardware as you'd have to run the Virtual Machine and guest OS on top of the extra client, AND running in Windowed mode.

To be honest if you could pull off something like that your a technical genius... I don't think that's a ban at all...

It really isn't technical genius. At least not in this day and age. The core of the matter is running two users at once, which is done regularly with Windows Server, and even running multiple OSes at once (Virtual Machines). Most Mac and Linux users (and developers) who bounce between back and forth to the Windows world know how to setup and run Virtual Machines, VMs just tend to poop on your hardware because you're truely trying to run two systems at once with some middle-ware riding rough shod over one.

• 2 weeks later...

Both games use the same exact executable name and type (both the steam and non-steam versions are the exact same version of the game), so when the launcher checks to see if Warframe is already running it will pick it up regardless of whether it's the Steam or Non-Steam version.

Even if it does work, I really wouldn't recommend it. The anti-cheat system is sometimes very temperamental, so if it detects multiple programs accessing certain locations in memory (even if both programs are only just Warframe) it might detect that as malicious behavior.

So yeah, you should contact support with a support ticket before trying... though I'm almost positive that it wouldn't work anyway.

Probably because that game doesn't have a "check to see if program is already running" portion of code like Warframe does? Not all games are coded equally. 

And.... does warframe system know when there is a person using two separate computers to boost? because there's a lot of people ingame doing that right now.

And.... does warframe system know when there is a person using two separate computers to boost? because there's a lot of people ingame doing that right now.

You cannot be signed in to the same account with two separate computers. However, it is possible for more than one computer to play on the same network.

If you suspect someone of using alternate accounts to boost, farm, etc, then please report them with a Support Ticket with the category "Report Player Griefing/Hacking or Exploit."

I'm able to run warframe on steam and launch the launcher for the non steam version.  Its updating right now, I'll post if it can work

Edit: my laptop hates me right now :P

Edit#2:  The steam installation and the non steam version are in different folders if you were wondering

Edit#3:  Does not work.  Both versions can launch side by side, but the second version will get a "session unavailable" notice, and upon closing the crash report window will pop up

Edited by Rennagade

i did what you wanted, ran 2 window mode warframes, used the program AutoHotKey to split the windows of both warframes into a splitscreen setup on the 1 pc, both run fine, take a while longer to load anywhere, but the problem is, even when its setup, theres no way to control both seperatly, both warframes take exclusive control of any controller connected with no way of turning controllers on 1 or the other on/off.

the idea was the have keyboard/mouse on the top warframe and have the controller take control of the bottom, however the controller only seems to work on whichever of the warframe windows has focus, and even it it could work as you cant turn the controller off on 1 warframe then both would end up being controlled by a controller.

^ heres a quick/dirty youtube clip of my 2 warframes in windowmode, made into borderless windowmode using autohotkey.

to run 2 follow these steps

Make a copy of warframe to a different location or things can get weird, also make a new user account with admin access.

on my desktop i have 2 icons/shortcuts to each warframe

C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe

C:\Users\MyUserName2\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe

rightmouse the 2nd warframe icon and select properties.

in the TARGET selection it will say something like

C:\Users\MyUserName2\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe

edit this to say

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:MyUserName2 "C:\Users\XTRO2\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe"

running both warframes will now work.

firstly run both warframes seperatly and make sure their set/saved to borderless fullscreen windowmode, if you use regular window, the first window seems to work fine and go borderless but the 2nd ends up with its border remaining, ive not managed to fix this yet but fullscreen borderless works but ends up looking weird and has hud positioning issues.

run the first/normal warframe icon as usual, let it load up then i activate my first autohotkey script with LALT+1

run the second warframe, once its window appears, i run my 2nd autohotkey script using LALT+2

heres my autohotkey script im using atm

; WARFRAME SCRIPT FOR HORIZONTAL SPLITSCREEN PLAY, MOUSE/KBD with XBOX/PS3 Controller
#InstallKeybdHook

!1::
SetTitleMatchMode, 3
If WinExist("WARFRAME") or WinExist("WARFRAME1")
{
if WinExist("WARFRAME1")
{
WinWait, WARFRAME1
} else {
WinWait, WARFRAME
}
WinActivate
WinSetTitle, WARFRAME1
WinSet, Style, +0x80880000
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000
WinSet, Style, -0x400000
WinSet, Style, -0x40000
WinSet, Style, -0x800000
WinSet, Style, -0x80000
WinMove, WARFRAME1,,0,0,A_ScreenWidth,(A_ScreenHeight/2)
WinSet, AlwaysOnTop
WinActivate
}
return

!2::
SetTitleMatchMode, 3
If WinExist("WARFRAME") or WinExist("WARFRAME2")
{
if WinExist("WARFRAME2")
{
WinWait, WARFRAME2
} else {
WinWait, WARFRAME
}
WinActivate
WinSetTitle, WARFRAME2
WinSet, Style, +0x80880000
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000
WinSet, Style, -0x400000
WinSet, Style, -0x40000
WinSet, Style, -0x800000
WinSet, Style, -0x80000
WinMove, WARFRAME2,,0,(A_ScreenHeight/2),A_ScreenWidth,(A_ScreenHeight/2)
WinSet, AlwaysOnTop
WinActivate
}
return

CONTINUED:

at this stage 1 is repositioned borderles top the other bottom at my monitors dimensions, it should also be noted that when this works, the ingame HUD ends up wonky and positioned incorrectly, esp the aim reticule being offcenter shunted to the left, which is kinda bad.

if anyone can tidy this up or make a controller exclusive to the 2nd warframe window without focus like borderlands 2 can achieve that would be nice, i tried this so i could try playing warframe with my nephew on my main PC as i dont have a spare pc/laptop capable of runnign warframe, tho my ancient laptop can run warframe in ultra garbage resolution it ends up with texture issues, like solid black floors with everything else looking fine.

EDIT: in addition the 2nd user account must be password protected, and both warframe copies must be set to use different ports or the 2nd will load-loop on loading.

Edited by Methanoid

fixed all my HUD/scaling issues by having both my regular monitor cable and hdmi cable attached to my monitor to have 2 displays, running nvidia control panel and creating a custom resolution that is full width (1920), and half height (540) for my monitor, setting up extended display mode so that the primary screen is 1920x540 and the second display is the full 1920x1080.

now when running warframe in fullscreen borderless window mode it will appear on the primary display at the correct size/resolution/etc that i want (1920x540), then my autohotkey script simply moves the whole screen to the 2nd display, no resizing is required so nothing breaks, this is just done twice and the resulting 2 warframes run horizontal splitscreen perfectly, ive also used this to get 4 warframes running.

enclosed ipad shakeycam vid showing 4 warframes at 1/2 size/quarter screen.

http://youtu.be/3c3j6DQrrFM

NOTE: now is just the quest on how to have both controlled seperatly, so far using autohotkey scripts i can only forward movement/fire keys to my numerical keypad and the keystrokes are sent to the 2nd warframe window, however this isnt a good way to play as its far too clunky and slow, butchering the gamepad to work on the 2nd but not primary would be ideal but far beyond what i can manage to achieve at present.

it would be great if i or some1 else could get this to work, then i could play horizontal splitscreen with my nephew/bro-in-law on my large monitor whenever he visits.

Edited by Methanoid