Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

I am really hoping we finally get some over the top manuvers. Like in certain dual weapons you throw the axe into one enemy run up him into a large backflip only to bring the other axe splitting the other enemy in half.

Or in the case of the Daggers you get to shove it right through the skull.

For the large swords i want to see bifurcations in the smaller ones i'd like to see both arms removed then the enemy acts in horror as he sees the blade coming for his head.

For the h2h ones i want to see heart removal. That or punching someone so hard you punch out ALL OF THEIR BLOOD!

How are they going to make melee an actual desirable option?

Parry blocks that let you parry everything and move like Ninja run in MGS rising?

Movement speed boosts so you have a chance to run to your target before that shifty looking Rhino comes and Stomps everything or Pentas everything to hell?

Why would you use melee even after melee 2.0 other than for some variety?

Do you have 100% knockback protection without Sure Footed and Fortitude when you go full melee? Because otherwise you'll be sitting on your arse most of the missions.

How can melee be useful when the enemy is always a giant horde and the game is lopsided where ranged AOE is ALWAYS the best option?

Edited by Ziegrif

We need enemies that are immune to gunfire and powers. Or at least resist them.

Maybe not immunity. Resistance is always a possibility.

Anyway, I don't think it will be as simple as a melee rework for players. In order to make this work, DE is going to have to rework the melee of enemies as well, especially on melee-oriented enemies such as Scorpions or Prod Crewmen.

We need enemies that are immune to gunfire and powers. Or at least resist them.

No, no, no.

You don't make a thing viable by making it resistant to everything else but the thing you want used. You make the thing viable by actually making it worth the risk/reward.

Right now Guns out damage melee, pure fact. Guns are safer to use, fact. Guns are way better risk/reward.

Make melee better at kill then guns and melee will get used.

=====

In many ways enemies are already are resistant to melee, which are mostly Slashing weapons. So your suggestion is already standing on its head.

Edited by Brasten

Melee is desirable when it's effective. At some point melee will have to have enough damage to be viable past what many players deem "viable" (able to kill a level 75 grineer heavy gunner in decent time)

Melee should have a movement feature to it as well. If heavy weapons are slow and strong light ones should have quick acrobatic moves.

EDIT: On the topic of immunity, I don't think there needs to be more gunfire immune enemies. There needs to be more enemies with special melee immunity that isn't a resistance is needed so players don't mash E to win but plan ahead in their strikes.

Shield grineer are a good example of this. Their shield blocks melee and if you try to approach them they knock you down but they can be dragon-kicked. Knocking them down first THEN attacking is necessary to get past them.

Edited by sewens

No, no, no.

You don't make a think viable by making it resistance to everything else but the thing you want used. You make the thing viable by actually making worth the risk/reward.

Right now Guns out damage melee, pure fact. Guns are safer to use, fact. Guns are way better risk/reward.

Make melee better at kill then guns and melee will get used.

Making the damage stronger won't solve anything. Low level enemies still die really quick from gunfire while high level enemies can take you down really quick. UNLESS they make parry block 100% damage and knockdown.

I might be wrong, but that sounds like either an exaggeration, or a straight up hyperbole...

I do a lot of Hyperbole.

But tier 3 defense does have a lot of meat in it as do Survivals and Mobile defenses when the game decides it's a good day to bring out the hordes for a bit.

Even when it's 6-8 VS 1 (like usual) ranged aoe > any melee.

Making the damage stronger won't solve anything. Low level enemies still die really quick from gunfire while high level enemies can take you down really quick. UNLESS they make parry block 100% damage and knockdown.

Increasing the damage output from Melee weapons WILL solve many of the problems. Melee's main issue isn't with the mooks (expect at higher level, and what more evidence then that is need that damage needs to be increased), it is with the Heavies where it is safer AND more damage effieicent to kill them from range.

You do more damage at range then in melee. At range you can take cover or dodge. The risk/reward balance has been bad for melee for a long time. You do LESS damage fighting at the most risky range (point blank).

Making enemies immune or resistant to range weapon to encourage melee is going bassackwards into a cactus. Doing so is the equivalent of saying Nerf all Ranged damage until Melee is more damage efficient, and thus make its Risk/Reward balance better in comparison.